Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Good to know. For normal customers, some discounts are available through 3rd party retailers but will be nice if Apple offered it directly.

ZZ9pluralZalpha

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Woot has the 38mm link bracelet for $179.99 and the Milanese Loop in gold for $36.99. eBay also has legit sellers that have these available with steep discounts, although the link bracelet has been harder to find lately.
Bought a link bracelet from Woot a few months ago. The box was quite beat up, probably from transit, but the band seemed to be genuine, so this seems a good deal for small-wristed folks. (My $0.02 on the product itself: the recessed butterfly closure is indeed much more comfortable than the classic protruding ones—which are plain idiotic—but the links accumulate scratches at a pace challenged only by the stainless Watch casing.)

Reactions: dannyyankou

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I’ve had the link bracelet since the original watch came out in 2015 and still use it as my main watch band. It’s been great! I’ve tried a few other bands but always come back to the link bracelet

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Because that would involve opening the boxes. I’m pretty sure these thinks are not still being made. They’ve been sitting on a ton of stock for a good while.

Though bands are compatible, there are subtle differences in shape between each generation. Maybe the band connection for the next watch won’t make all previous bands obsolete but somehow won’t work with 38mm/42mm bands?
I don’t think so. They updated the packaging to match the newer wider boxes some years ago. And somehow I have a hard time believing that Apple would still be clearing the stock manufactured before 2018. It’s more likely that they’d just dump the overstock and discontinue it entirely if that was the case.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Bought a link bracelet from Woot a few months ago. The box was quite beat up, probably from transit, but the band seemed to be genuine, so this seems a good deal for small-wristed folks. (My $0.02 on the product itself: the recessed butterfly closure is indeed much more comfortable than the classic protruding ones—which are plain idiotic—but the links accumulate scratches at a pace challenged only by the stainless Watch casing.)
A word of advice - get some steel wool. Costs like $5 a bag and does wonders to the brushed steel finish of the bracelet. I have used it several times myself to refurbish my own piece.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
If they make new watches incompatible with existing bands, I’m done with the Watch.
Potentially 10 years of being able to use the same strap that had came with the first Apple Watch is a long duration of support. A lot of other tech would not have this duration of compatibility with their accessories.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
How generous of the big corporation to help itself clear inventory of overpriced, unpopular Watch bands that will be even harder to sell after Apple Watch S10 drops to give its faithful employees such a huge discount on such a high-value and sought-after product!

• Haha
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Still - a diamond ring will not really become “vintage” and useless after 5-10 years. Apple can decide to ditch the current standard for any of their bands at next release and after a few years that expensive link bracelet is worthless.

Unless of course you buy the $59 adapter they’re gonna launch when they ditch the old standard 😂😂😂
I'm sure Apple can find the capital to "innovate" some kind of "smart band" that enables certain health tracking features through the band and attaches magnetically to Apple Watch.

"Coincidentally" these new "smart bands" have a "Made For Apple Watch" chip inside that either disable all smart features if you try to use a non "MFAW" band or flat out push the band off using electromagnets or something like that.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
Potentially 10 years of being able to use the same strap that had came with the first Apple Watch is a long duration of support. A lot of other tech would not have this duration of compatibility with their accessories.
10 years isn’t long enough. It’s bad enough that it’s so hard to change the batteries on these watches. Other companies being worse is… worse.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
I always wondered why it's so much. It's not made of precious metal, and it's not really fancy. Yet it costs more than a lot of entire decent watches.

Apple's retail pricing is entirely disconnected from the cost of production. They charge what they want to charge to position their products as premium and luxury.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
10 years in the tech world is a lifetime. Personally I think it's a very big ask to expect accessory support for a piece of tech for more than 10 years.
One thing I originally hoped Apple would do with the watch was to make the "movement" (electronics) separate from the "watch case" so that you could upgrade your watch's innards as technology progresses, while keeping the exterior the same.

This would have made the original gold Edition practical, because you would only have to buy it once and keep upgrading the innards. Apple could have even made this a service they have to do, similar to getting a mechanical watch serviced, and made money that way too.

But no, they made the watch itself a disposable commodity. At least you can keep the same band for multiple watch upgrades, so that's something.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I always wondered why it's so much. It's not made of precious metal, and it's not really fancy. Yet it costs more than a lot of entire decent watches.

The link bracelet has a complicated mechanism in each link that allows you to lengthen or shorten it without tools. Its also why it takes so long to make one.

• Haha

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
This just in: Employees are reminded to complete the Apple Code of Conduct training by end of day April 5. Please note the south parking lot will be closed from May 5 through May 14 for resurfacing. The April cafeteria menu is now posted. Sorry for the delay. Also April nominations for Apple Props is open. Apple Prop winners will be announced the last Thursday of the month. March winners will receive their Starbucks Gift Card by email.

• Wow

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There is precedent. They discounted the leather bands including Hermes up to 90% for employees right before they ended their sale when switching to FineWoven.
Although Hermes still sells leather Apple Watch bands.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016

Apple is absolutely screwing people on watch band prices.

Not a single one of my bands was more than $15, and the $15 one is a cloned "Milanese Loop" band. The adjustable stretchy cloth ones (which I much prefer) were under $10. A clone "Link Bracelet" is about $25.

Only a looney would pay Apple prices for a watch band.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
90% is quite steep and indicative of discontinuation…however: I’m one to fully jump on the board that this confirms the classic AW watch-band mechanism is dead, given they are discounting their most expensive bands. I have a feeling they’ll start with the Ultra (smallest user base = least amount of user complaints), shill the benefits of the new mechanism for a year or so (larger battery, more room for an improved SiP, potentially a larger screen? etc, etc), then trickle it down to Series 11 (or they’ll pull an iPhone X, release Series X along the new Ultras with the new mechanism, and just say “sorry about the old bands”).

my only question is if I can repurchase a Pride Woven Solo Loop with this new mechanism. my favorite 1st-party band of all time, only to get stretched to absolute sh*t—either way, they realized they couldn’t outdo it with future Pride editions, hence why it remains on sale. 🏳️‍🌈🤙

Of course you'll be able to - for about $10 for a 3-pack. That's what the current ones are going for.

• Haha
Reactions: phenste

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
I'm sure Apple can find the capital to "innovate" some kind of "smart band" that enables certain health tracking features through the band and attaches magnetically to Apple Watch.

"Coincidentally" these new "smart bands" have a "Made For Apple Watch" chip inside that either disable all smart features if you try to use a non "MFAW" band or flat out push the band off using electromagnets or something like that.

Which will, fortunately, be reverse engineered in about two weeks, and all will be right with the clones again.

(I always intentionally buy Lightning cables that DO NOT have the MFI logo. They tend to be sturdier.)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
My link bracket pairs well with my Ultra. Not the exact same color but very close and will last a lifetime. Well, until they change the band connection.

I didn't like it at all... I loved the link bracelet with my SS watches in the past.. But once I tried it with the Ultra the color contrast really bothered me.. I ended up gifting it to my cousin since he bought a SS Series 9. I was hoping Apple would make a titanium link bracelet but doesn't seem like its in their plans... I ended up picking up the Nomad titanium band and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.