Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It will be interesting if the watches this year have new band connectors. I guess if they want to change the design the band connector will have to change and it’s been close to 10 years. I have lots of watch bands so the change would have to be significant for me to upgrade. My series 6 still works well and the battery is OK.

BigBellyBelcher

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
It's a Pro band for those feeling silly paying $50 for Tims carpet or Steves rubber...but don't want 3rd party lead exposure.

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
Or you can get any of these bands on Amazon for under $30 and they are indistinguishable. I've had the Milanese and Link bracelet for years. I prefer the wider bands that you can only get from third parties. It's makes the watch look more substantial and less like a woman's watch.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Potentially 10 years of being able to use the same strap that had came with the first Apple Watch is a long duration of support. A lot of other tech would not have this duration of compatibility with their accessories.
Meanwhile, regular watch makers have been using the same connector for 100 years..

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Meanwhile, regular watch makers have been using the same connector for 100 years..
Yes but they are not trying to cram more and more sensors etc, bigger batteries into their devices. And changing the strap attachment system will allow this. This has been mentioned numerous times since the rumour started.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
Yes but they are not trying to cram more and more sensors etc, bigger batteries into their devices. And changing the strap attachment system will allow this. This has been mentioned numerous times since the rumour started.
Nah, the connector is already space efficient. But for argument sake, let’s say they reduce it by 50% using magnets. So what. They can tout this gives people an extra 2 hours of battery or some such thing, but that’s useless, and nothing compared to people having to buy a new set of bands. If they do it, it’s so they can make the presumably huge margins on band collections all over again. If Apple does this, I’ll lose respect for them, especially if they big up the change with nonsense marginal gains.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Nah, the connector is already space efficient. But for argument sake, let’s say they reduce it by 50% using magnets. So what. They can tout this gives people an extra 2 hours of battery or some such thing, but that’s useless, and nothing compared to people having to buy a new set of bands. If they do it, it’s so they can make the presumably huge margins on band collections all over again. If Apple does this, I’ll lose respect for them, especially if they big up the change with nonsense marginal gains.

You only mention about battery, the extra space could also be used for new sensors for different things.
I've bought around 8 straps over the years, quite a lot I've owned since 2016. If I need to get new ones, then so be it.
Sooner of later in the tech world, things need to be replaced as things progress.

Plus, Apple isn't forcing anyone to get their new bands from them, there will no doubt be countless other third party bands available at a lower price than Apple sells their bands for, just like there is currently.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
You only mention about battery, the extra space could also be used for new sensors for different things.
I've bought around 8 straps over the years, quite a lot I've owned since 2016. If I need to get new ones, then so be it.
Sooner of later in the tech world, things need to be replaced as things progress.

Plus, Apple isn't forcing anyone to get their new bands from them, there will no doubt be countless other third party bands available at a lower price than Apple sells their bands for, just like there is currently.
We’re not talking about a component that advances in technology has finally allowed to be smaller. It’s a mechanical connector. If they wanted it smaller, they should have designed it smaller from the get go. Screw makers don’t update their screws making them incompatible with current screwdrivers. There are standardised connectors for all sorts of things that have stayed the same for a long time and will be the same for a long time. It’s a mechanical connector. If Apple got the design wrong, then tough on them. They’ve been encouraging people to have band collections. They shouldn’t have done that if they knew the design of their connector was bad and would need to be changed.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
If Apple got the design wrong, then tough on them. They’ve been encouraging people to have band collections. They shouldn’t have done that if they knew the design of their connector was bad and would need to be changed.
I think the band connecter they choose (now getting on for nearly 10 years ago) was an excellent design. Basically it allowed the wearer to change the band in seconds and without needing a tool to do this.

Nearly 10 years is a long time, and in the tech world as like anywhere else things progress, and in that, things and designs can be used that wouldn't have been possible or even thought of some years past.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
Having yesterday been told by my car that my key fob battery was low, I was very glad I could just grab a CR2032 out of the cupboard and pop it into the fob.
I agree that switching out a battery easily, in anything, is a good thing. However, the car key fob isn’t a good analogy, as it’s not rechargeable or water resistant (at least not to the degree that an Apple Watch or iPhone is). There’s a completely different set of considerations between water resistant wearables with rechargeable batteries, and other products. That being said, I’m very certain Apple is more than capable of designing a well sealing mechanism for removing the battery, they just choose to glue their devices together instead. Which is very irritating.

Reactions: polyphenol

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I agree that switching out a battery easily, in anything, is a good thing. However, the car key fob isn’t a good analogy, as it’s not rechargeable or water resistant (at least not to the degree that an Apple Watch or iPhone is). There’s a completely different set of considerations between water resistant wearables with rechargeable batteries, and other products. That being said, I’m very certain Apple is more than capable of designing a well sealing mechanism for removing the battery, they just choose to glue their devices together instead. Which is very irritating.
Appreciate that but what really struck me was the possibility that car manufacturers could introduce rechargeable fobs with batteries that cannot readily be replaced. Such that you have to get them to replace the battery (when needed) at whatever cost they demand. With consequences if you don't - like getting stuck unable to unlock or drive your own car.

And their argument for doing that might be so that they can make the fobs water resistant!

I do know that on the cars I use there is (still) a physical key alternative!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.