Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Unionization makes little sense for retail employees. These are high turnover entry-level positions.
Not necessarily. I worked at an Apple Store during and after college. Stayed 7 years and left as a full time Mac genius.

Obviously, I’ve since quadrupled my salary in corporate IT, but there’s a fair amount of ”long haulers” working in an Apple Store.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I’ve worked in jobs with unions and jobs without. Unions can be a real double edged sword in some situations. While they can help with arbitration in issues with an employer, they can make it impossible to negotiate a better salary. The employees may also me shocked because they could see their paychecks decrease in a negotiation. They may find themselves paying high union dues, higher insurance premiums, and retirement accounts. While that’s not all bad, for young people who may be working at Apple as a temporary stop on their career path, retirement and union dues are probably unwanted when they need to make rent, pay for gas, and buy groceries. (I’m in no way anti-union. I just think that some jobs need them, others don’t. Unions don’t always solve employee problems and create another layer of bureaucracy at a large company)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Lol

Won’t Apple just shut the store down? 😂🙋‍♂️
Apple could do that. But if that were to happen, I'm sure the employees would go to the National Labor Relations Board and ask them to look into it. If the NLRB determines that Apple closed the store in retailiation, that would be a violation of federal labor law.

Section 8(a)(3) of the Act makes it an unfair labor practice for an employer, "by discrimination in regard to hire or tenure of employment or any term or condition of employment[,] to encourage or discourage membership in any labor organization." (An employer that violates Section 8(a)(3) also derivatively violates Section 8(a)(1).) For example, you may not:
  • Close one of your facilities, if your motive is to chill unionism at any remaining facility and such an effect is reasonably foreseeable.

On the other hand, Apple could close all their retail locations and get away with that according to the ruling in Textile Workers Union v. Darlington Mfg. Co., 380 U.S. 263 (1965)

1. It is not an unfair labor practice for an employer to close his entire business, even if the closing is due to anti-union animus. Pp. 380 U. S. 269-274.

At least that's my understanding of it. 🤷‍♂️

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Why is this News? In my country, belonging to a union is nearly expected. However, the employers also form a “union” to negotiate the salaries with the respective workers union. It works, we get food on the table, safe workplaces, reasonable job security, there are plenty of room for individual salary negotiations and yet I recently heard my country was the best in the world to do business in but it takes two responsible parties for that.

zilchfox

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Why is this News? In my country, belonging to a union is nearly expected. However, the employers also form a “union” to negotiate the salaries with the respective workers union. It works, we get food on the table, safe workplaces, reasonable job security, there are plenty of room for individual salary negotiations and yet I recently heard my country was the best in the world to do business in but it takes two responsible parties for that.
Good for you and your country, truly. It's news because it's in the U.S., where unions are often busted and largely don't exist much anymore.

Dark_Omen

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2021
Come Monday they’ll all be fired and replaced by the waiting list of those who want to be Apple employees.

Didn’t realize the working conditions were horrible? These people don’t even have to work overnights or behind a hot stove or in a mine or something similar. They sell electronics at a beautiful store.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Apple paid the retail employees while the stories were closed by finding them other non-retail remote work to do. Not something they HAD to do, but just something they did. During the next closures, will the union pay their salaries? I guess it depends on their contract.
Let’s flip that script for a sec. Another way of saying what you just said is “Apple was under no obligation to take care of its staff during COV19, and while it did so the there’s no way for staff to be sure it will do so again in the future, but a union contract *can* guarantee that”

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
First thing they will do is negotiate for better working conditions. Like a right to work from home like the corporate employees can. When they don't get that, they will, of course, go on strike for better working conditions. Lots of scabs who will want to work for Apple and cross the picket lines.

• Disagree
Reactions: txb0115 and thv

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
curious how this may help them or makes sense for retail, I can see it for a craft or profession. I've worked retail and its not something I'd want to be in long term

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.