Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Do we have any info yet on what the union has secured for the Towson employees? We know the union is collecting dues, but what additional compensation has been secured for the employees they represent?

They can’t be fired at will, the union will negotiate yearly raises on behalf of employees and usually they barter for benefits too and other rights, they’re a mediator between an employee and the company and are somewhat protected. Very basic things and people are forced to unionize and change things themselves, just to be treated with value. Very sad stuff.

When employees of the largest and wealthiest companies (Apple, Amazon) have to begin unionizing…there is a problem.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
That is exactly true. If Apple were to offer a better deal, the employees would vote for Apple. Apple right now has to offer a decent package just to attact people to apply to work in the store, Wait until the economy goes down and then Apple non-union people will see all the good benefits cut and many fired with no warning. The union will push Apple to meet at least some minimums or they know the store will unionize. So even the non-union employees benefit.

Think of this... If Apple really does give better pay/benefits to non-union employees, then why does Apple not hope that EVERY store joins the union, Apple would save a mint.
So you can’t lay off union employees when business decreases?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Do we have any info yet on what the union has secured for the Towson employees? We know the union is collecting dues, but what additional compensation has been secured for the employees they represent?
Well, Apple has to come to the table and negotiate a contract with the employees. I don't know much about the situation, but I'm guessing there hasn't been much communication between the store and corporate. It takes two to tango.

Reactions: bLackjackj

Dan From Canada

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2016
collective bargaining can be good and bad. If you have a company that is leading the industry in most retail metrics for employees, the concept of negotiation can push the company to hold back things they would have possibly pushed through much sooner to ensure they have enough points available to negotiate with.
I've worked in both union and non-union companies and there are advantages and disadvantages to both.
If they voted for it, great. If they didn't also great.

CthuluLemon

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2020
So dramatic, Lol. Nothing changes,..it just means that employees have a right to work and a right for better conditions. 👌👍

Lol, you should make sure you are certain what is being said before accusing others of dramatics. Being surprised that a typically conservative state that staunchly supports anti-union “right-to-work” policies is where a second store unionized rather than in more labor friendly states is far from dramatic, unless one isn’t sure what right-to-work laws are and what they are designed to do.

Saying you are surprised a state with such a large right-wing population is neither a pro or anti-union statement, nor is it one that implies anything will change.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalIdea

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Wait until the economy goes down and then Apple non-union people will see all the good benefits cut and many fired with no warning. The union will push Apple to meet at least some minimums or they know the store will unionize. So even the non-union employees benefit.
During the pandemic when stores were closed AND Apple could have let all of them go (as many other retail organizations did), Apple gave folks jobs at home. A better deal than even a lot of non-retail jobs. I hope those unions are including that in their negotiations. Actually, the union members pay dues, so the union may pay out of that?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
To me, this shows that there's a problem with Apple's HR. I mean even after the carrot Apple dangled with the increased benefits, people are still opting to unionize. That means there's something wrong with you as a company. Your ML head left just like that because wfo policy. That means there's already an underlying dissatisfaction. Apple, review your HR team and policies. You're rotting from the inside. Catch it before it's too late.

bLackjackj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Being surprised that a typically conservative state that staunchly supports anti-union “right-to-work” policies over more labor friendly states is far from dramatic
No, it is dramatic and stop including all in State. People have their own brains, to make their OWN decisions. You can still have conservative views and be a part of a Union. Lol. The employees have decided that they would have better working conditions and voted. Move on.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Oh pleease,..they are a Trillion dollar company with many shareholders. Whos then going to sell overpriced phones to the public upon re-opening??
Well, that question would have to go to all of those companies that fired their workers and hired new ones as the pandemic eased. :) Still, hope the union is working to ensure these folks get paid if it happens again!

Reactions: jeff3835

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
That is exactly true. If Apple were to offer a better deal, the employees would vote for Apple. Apple right now has to offer a decent package just to attact people to apply to work in the store, Wait until the economy goes down and then Apple non-union people will see all the good benefits cut and many fired with no warning. The union will push Apple to meet at least some minimums or they know the store will unionize. So even the non-union employees benefit.

Think of this... If Apple really does give better pay/benefits to non-union employees, then why does Apple not hope that EVERY store joins the union, Apple would save a mint.
Not exactly… Because of seniority, the longer a worker has been at a union store, the more protection/security they have. Apple will always want to stick to a merit based retention for example, just based on customer satisfaction. 🤷

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Americans are struggling and there’s no one left to defend them. They’re finally standing up for benefits and security. All companies have to do is offer something similar, and the unionizing will stop since it’s a form of protesting against capitalistic abuse.
I don’t understand Americans. They actively defend the companies instead of the workers rights. Even after the pandemic and how all the people got laid off. The US I believe is the only country in the world where a worker doesn’t have paid mandatory holidays, paid leave or any kind of rights like vacations, sick days, etc. it’s mind blowing.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Right now they're making less than the non-union employees and have less benefits, because Apple wasn't able to give them the benefits the others got.

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Unions are the worst in modern times. All unions do is promote laziness and cause problems for customers and employers.

Unions made sense in the 1800s, but they've outlived their usefulness and are now the epitome of greed and corruption.

Aug 30, 2022
This is a good thing. Employees should be protected at all times. No paid sick leave for example is absolutely bonkers imo. I live in one of the most developed countries in the world and we also have the strongest economy of the world. I have a tendency to be very critical towards my government but I just realized I’m very lucky that I was born here. As citizens we are very well protected by our Unions. People who believe that Tim Cook genuinely cares about his retail workers are delusional. The only risk with Unionization is the importance to have the right people at the helm of the Union, because you want the maximum effect and that is sadly not always the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.