Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Giving 5- and 10- and 15-year-olds who are statistically at zero risk of COVID-19 an experimental vaccine in order to theoretically help a bunch of unvaccinated 80-year-olds is absolutely monstrous. What is wrong with some of you people?

it's not to theoretically help unvaccinated 80+year-olds. it's to actually help the entire population

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Wrong. “The entire population” isn’t at risk. The average COVID-19 death is over 80 years old.

do you know what average means? it does not mean you aren't at risk unless you are in the "average" age group

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Good grief.

instead of quoting Charlie Brown why don't you explain what you are trying to say.

you literally said "'The entire population' isn’t at risk. The average COVID-19 death is over 80 years old."

if you don't mean to claim that because the average age of covid death is over 80 that the entire population is not at risk, than what are you claiming?

also, helping the entire population doesn't just mean preventing death, which I think is a sufficient goal in and of itself, but also preventing illness, and also being able to safely lift the varying degrees of restrictions everyone has been living under for the last year and some

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Good grief.
You have a lot of numbers but not a lot of sources. Do you have one for the following?

Your father-in-law wasn’t 8 years old, and having myocarditis under age 18 doesn’t “clear up” — it yields a 60% chance of needing a heart transplant within 10 years. You don’t seem to be making an “informed decision” at all. You seem to be making an emotional decision.

Myocarditis can be caused by any number of viruses. I’m willing to bet having actual COVID increases the chances but that’s a gut feeling and no, I don’t have a source for it.

and you also never gave one for the 1/4,500 statistic for teenagers.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I don’t keep links of every article I read. A person above (mollyc) just cited the same study, so it shouldn’t be hard to find.

The simple fact is, people under 20 are at such low risk of COVID-19 that the “experts” can’t even calculate a statistical risk. And yet they’re pushing the vaccine on everyone.

Figures quoted from a study we can’t independently read are effectively meaningless. Even assuming you're faithfully repeating what was in the study, we can’t validate the methodology gives a statistically significant result or whether the study really means what it’s reported to mean

For example, I could say (quoting NPR)

Research published in a major medical journal concludes that a parachute is no more effective than an empty backpack at protecting you from harm if you have to jump from an aircraft.

But don’t go jumping from 10,000ft with an empty backpack quite yet…

Study:

Reactions: nathansz

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Last edited:
Reactions: mollyc

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
And if that’s the case it’s not surprising an immune reaction would possibly cause similar response. But with a vaccine it can be monitored better.

What can be monitored better? The myocarditis caused by the vaccine?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
a study out of Israel shows that roughly 1 in 4,500 kids under 18 who get the COVID-19 vaccination contract myocarditis, and prior studies have shown that if you get myocarditis at 18 or under, you have a 60% chance of needing a heart transplant within 10 years.

do you have a source for either of these

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I’m not your researcher. Your only source for anything is “the experts” or “Saint Fauci.”

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
What can be monitored better? The myocarditis caused by the vaccine?

is there actual evidence that myocarditis is caused by the vaccine?

"The CDC has not determined a causal relationship between the vaccines and heart inflammation, stating that the rates of myocarditis for the recently vaccinated “have not differed from expected baseline rates.”

In the U.S., there have been a few dozen reported cases of heart inflammation occurring shortly after vaccination. There are about 132 million Americans who have been fully vaccinated and some 289 million doses administered so far, though teenagers have only recently begun receiving inoculations.

Dr. Peter Hotez, a pediatrician and a noted vaccine scientist at Baylor University, wrote on Twitter that medical experts are “sorting out if there’s any relationship to the vaccine at all, or it’s due to breakthrough COVID-19, or vaccination on top of previous COVID, or the vaccine itself, or if it’s myocarditis from other intercurrent viral infections such as enteroviruses occurring in warmer months.”

New York pulmonologist Dr. Hugh Cassiere also has pointed to Hotez’s latter hypothesis, noting that various viruses, including the common cold, can cause myocarditis. He told NBC Newsthat, with millions of people beginning to return to normal activities after getting vaccinated, it would make sense to see instances of heart inflammation tick up.

“Now that people are taking their masks off, we’re transmitting more virus,” Cassiere said."

Reactions: mollyc

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I’m not your researcher. Your only source for anything is “the experts” or “Saint Fauci.”

I haven't made any claims. you are making all sorts of claims with made up numbers and no sources of any kind.

Last edited:

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I haven't made any claims. you are making all sorts of claims with made up numbers and no sources of any kind.

I don't understand what the motivation is to try to spread this sort of disinformation is. is it just to be a contrarian?

I don’t know. Ask the people on your side who have found and cited the same studies within the past page or two. I guess they’re part of the disinformation campaign, too.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
I don’t know. Ask the people on your side who have found and cited the same studies within the past page or two. I guess they’re part of the disinformation campaign, too.

found and cited what same studies?

what's my side

you really aren't making any sense

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I’m not your researcher.

Yes you are for any stats you choose to claim as fact.

From the MacRumors Forum Rules / Rules for Appropriate Debate:

"Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread"​

Since you've refused to cite the source of your 1-in-4500 statistic, I say it's completely made up.

Feel free to show us otherwise.

Reactions: nathansz and mollyc

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017

"Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread"​

Since you've refused to cite the source of your 1-in-4500 statistic, I say it's completely made up.

i think the “if you get myocarditis at 18 or under, you have a 60% chance of needing a heart transplant within 10 years.” may also be made up

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
i think the “if you get myocarditis at 18 or under, you have a 60% chance of needing a heart transplant within 10 years.” may also be made up

I'm guessing someone is attributing outcomes of severe myocarditis to all cases of myocarditis, whether it be @jk73 or the source they read. Which is why it's important to cite actual sources, so we all can collaboratively evaluate the information available.

"The prognosis of patients with myocarditis depends on the severity of the inflammatory process and presentation of symptoms. Patients with severe disease have a poor prognosis without a transplant. Patients with mild myocarditis usually have a good outcome."
From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/

Reactions: nathansz and mollyc

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012

You already found and cited the same study, so why are you persisting with this nonsense? The study said “between 1 in 3,000 and 1 in 6,000,” which averages out to 1 in 4,500.

This isn’t hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I'm guessing someone is attributing outcomes of severe myocarditis to all cases of myocarditis, whether it be @jk73 or the source they read. Which is why it's important to cite actual sources, so we all can collaboratively evaluate the information available.

"The prognosis of patients with myocarditis depends on the severity of the inflammatory process and presentation of symptoms. Patients with severe disease have a poor prognosis without a transplant. Patients with mild myocarditis usually have a good outcome."
From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/

I never said anything about severe cases needing an immediate or almost immediate transplant. I was talking about a 10-year timeframe after an initial diagnosis of myocarditis in people under age 18.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Physician, heal thyself.

You people shut down the country for over a year for a virus with a 99.9% survival rate for healthy people under 70. Now you’re the fact police? Get serious.
You must have missed the news on the double ventilators, running out if hospital beds, blood clots, long term recovery, contagiousness, number of absolute deaths etc. That’s the real news. Not that crappy spin above.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You already found and cited the same study, so why are you persisting with this nonsense? The study said “between 1 in 3,000 and 1 in 6,000,” which averages out to 1 in 4,500.
How would anyone know you were averaging different figures to arrive at your 1 in 4500 that you claimed as fact?

Which specific study, and which paragraph are you getting this from?

This isn’t hard.
Correct. It's NOT hard to cite your source.

Thus your continued refusal to do directly implies you have no confidence in that source.

Last edited by a moderator:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I never said anything about severe cases needing an immediate or almost immediate transplant. I was talking about a 10-year timeframe after an initial diagnosis of myocarditis in people under age 18.
Great, so please give the source for this.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
The best mask is the Uniqlo mask. Really comfortable and feels like something from Marvel Universe.

Why didn’t Apple sell masks with Apple logos? I would have bought 3 in every color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.