Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Not really. People have discussed that as the end game for quite some time. The question was how soon will we be at the point where it is endemic and not a pandemic.
Some people said zero Covid was unattainable in the days when “15 days to flatten the curve” was a popular slogan. Only problem is those people weren’t allowed a place at the discussion table.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Apple should increase its manufacturing in other countries so that such impact can be minimised.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Some people said zero Covid was unattainable in the days when “15 days to flatten the curve” was a popular slogan. Only problem is those people weren’t allowed a place at the discussion table.

and others were at the table saying that. So what?

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
and others were at the table saying that. So what?
Saying what?
Zero Covid was unattainable? Name them and show me how they were taken seriously either by the decision makers in government or mainstream media.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Saying what?
Zero Covid was unattainable? Name them and show me how they were taken seriously either by the decision makers in government or mainstream media.

Here's one from mid 2021:

Amongst other things, it discusses the issue with "Zero Covid" and policy maker responses.

As early as Feb 2021 the news media reported just that, such as Fox's Dr. Saphier who said "We will never get to zero risk,"

Even those that supported maximum supression did not say they would achieve zero Covid, such as this from 2020:

And that's just from a quick google search...

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Here's one from mid 2021:

Amongst other things, it discusses the issue with "Zero Covid" and policy maker responses.
Generally good article, hardly mainstream. From the abstract:
There is a need for meaningful public health communication and science-informed policies that recognize shades of gray, uncertainties, local context, and social determinants of health.

This is my point... WHERE (at least in the US) has this genuinely been allowed?

Also from the piece:
Unfortunately, even with vaccines, elimination is an unrealistic goal for countries suffering from a lack of resources, political commitment, public engagement, and coordinated response plans. Vaccine inequity further complicates the situation.

So it's just that we haven't committed to it enough. Got it. Oh, and "vaccine inequity" :rolleyes:

As early as Feb 2021 the news media reported just that, such as Fox's Dr. Saphier who said "We will never get to zero risk,"
Come on... I said taken seriously. You can't say that anyone controlling the levers of power and/or social discourse listens to Dr. Saphier or really anything from Fox.

And that's just from a quick google search...
Did you even read this one, or just trust the google machine results? It advocates for a zero Covid strategy.
From the piece:

Zero-COVID strategy, a more effective epidemiological and community response with fewer negative economic and psychosocial consequences​

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Where do you get this? The CDC says that there were three waves, with the third wave ending by summer of 1919. They also say that the second wave was the deadliest. Where did you get your data?

Here. I can only wonder why the CDC says the things they do. Much of it doesn't make sense, and at times is very counter productive, nonsensical, damaging. But even the WHO (World Health Organization) has shot their leg(s) off too, which is incredibly disconcerting.

What happens when the 'experts' appear to be flailing around unable to find their purpose. I'm stunned at heir ineptitude. I expected more. Politicians hit my jaundiced view of their capability solidly, but the 'experts'? Wow...

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Here. I can only wonder why the CDC says the things they do. Much of it doesn't make sense, and at times is very counter productive, nonsensical, damaging. But even the WHO (World Health Organization) has shot their leg(s) off too, which is incredibly disconcerting.

What happens when the 'experts' appear to be flailing around unable to find their purpose. I'm stunned at heir ineptitude. I expected more. Politicians hit my jaundiced view of their capability solidly, but the 'experts'? Wow...
Unfortunately they are all politicians.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.