Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It is also curious that you happen to know or have heard of all of these young people who have died from COVID, when that is literally statistically less likely to happen than suicide and car accidents for young no pre-existing comorbidity demographics. Just stop ?‍?

Less likely doesn't mean can't or won't. You are going to be a handful in your residency, if you make it that far.

I'm not in a pissing contest, but if you feel so motivated, carry on...

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Less likely doesn't mean can't or won't. You are going to be a handful in your residency, if you make it that far.

I'm not in a pissing contest, but if you feel so motivated, carry on...
I am not in a pissing contest. You replied to me in a condescending tone for no reason. There's literally no reason we should be at odds. There's no need to question me personally, whether or not I'll "make it" in medical school through to residency. You don't know me, my work ethic, or anything about me other than I'm in medical school. You have made it personal and there's no reason to go there on a forum. If I have offended you in some way, I apologize. It isn't personal with me. I simply see a lot of irresponsible and quite frankly misinformed policy making that has hurt far more people than the virus itself.

Reactions: Madhatter32

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I am not in a pissing contest. You replied to me in a condescending tone for no reason. There's literally no reason we should be at odds. There's no need to question me personally, whether or not I'll "make it" in medical school through to residency. You don't know me, my work ethic, or anything about me other than I'm in medical school. You have made it personal and there's no reason to go there on a forum. If I have offended you in some way, I apologize. It isn't personal with me. I simply see a lot of irresponsible and quite frankly misinformed policy making that has hurt far more people than the virus itself.

You are right. I let emotion get to me. I have gotten a shorter fuse in the past two years. People are dying, and not just the people that are 'supposed to die'. People that appear to be downplaying the pandemic just rub me the wrong way, and I apologize if I have misinterpreted your posts.

Medical school is a lot easier that it was 'back then'. Good luck. I wouldn't want to be in healthcare right now though. (The latest topic among the docs is how to get out of healthcare, which is shocking. They are the ones living in fear it seems, with good reason possibly) It takes a lot of courage and determination, and fearlessness. More so now than almost ever. 'It' is still out there, and most people in the know feel it's going to come back. 'We' need to be ready. Not freaking out, but ready... We all hope they are wrong...

Reactions: GuruZac

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Living in fear means me not getting 'long term Covid'. A friend of mine still can't walk across his house without stopping to gasp at breathing, over a year after he was released from a hospital and declared 'cured'. He's lost most of his muscle mass too. Covid is No Joke. Avoid it at all costs...

EDIT: The 1918 flu (Spanish Flu) killed over 100 million people. The forth wave was worse than all the previous waves combined. The virus eventually mutated to a less lethal state, and was largely eradicated due to early vaccines, and other control methods. It was based on the H1N1 virus, which still pops up even today...

View attachment 1973330

?‍♂️

Reactions: siddavis

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
More so now than almost ever. 'It' is still out there, and most people in the know feel it's going to come back. 'We' need to be ready. Not freaking out, but ready... We all hope they are wrong...
From the Chinese lock down perspective we have no where the dynamics of their urban society to compare in the USA. We know the pro and cons of a lockdown. But considering how that one US skater who had no signs of it, then gets it taking all the precautions in their locked Olympic areas, we need to look at this as being a sad and unfortunate time for a lot of people in China once again.

from NPR

Chinese authorities reported 1,337 locally transmitted cases of COVID-19 across dozens of mainland cities Monday as the fast-spreading variant commonly known as "stealth omicron" fuels China's biggest outbreak in two years.

The vast majority of the new cases were in far northeastern Jilin province with 895. Shenzhen reported 75 new cases as residents began the first of three rounds of mass testing. Officials on Sunday locked down the city, which has 17.5 million people and is a major tech and finance hub that neighbors Hong Kong.

The surge on the Chinese mainland is infecting people in cities ranging from Shenzhen to Qingdao on the coast, to Xingtai in the north and the numbers have crept steadily higher since early March. While the numbers are small relative to numbers reported in Europe or in the U.S., or even the city of Hong Kong, which had reported 32,000 cases Sunday, they are the highest since the first big outbreak of COVID-19 in the central city of Wuhan in early 2020.

So the take away from this is China is trying to stop a covid spike in a manner that is more restrictive and something no other country can implement. In a way we all learn by their success or failure. It certainly effects some of Apple product production and is worth continued discussions.

Last edited:

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
You are right. I let emotion get to me. I have gotten a shorter fuse in the past two years. People are dying, and not just the people that are 'supposed to die'. People that appear to be downplaying the pandemic just rub me the wrong way, and I apologize if I have misinterpreted your posts.

Medical school is a lot easier that it was 'back then'. Good luck. I wouldn't want to be in healthcare right now though. (The latest topic among the docs is how to get out of healthcare, which is shocking. They are the ones living in fear it seems, with good reason possibly) It takes a lot of courage and determination, and fearlessness. More so now than almost ever. 'It' is still out there, and most people in the know feel it's going to come back. 'We' need to be ready. Not freaking out, but ready... We all hope they are wrong...
We left if cordial with each other! I appreciate your response. We could all be more patient and with each other. No hard feelings. I understand this is a subject that can get emotional. It’s never my intent to be rude or judgmental to anyone.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
They have no choice. Their vaccines are as good as an injection of saline.

The world's smallest violin plays for these corporations (Apple included) who moved the bulk of their manufacturing to China. They reaped plenty of benefits pre-Covid. Don't feel sorry for them when the music stops.
And what options did they have? Article from CNN in the past week shows over 11 million unfilled jobs in the US[data is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics]

India and other countries dont have the infrastructure and/or capacity to take on the output of the Chinese labour force.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
You really think it’s only going to double?
It really isn't only about the cost of labour. Tim Cook has spoken to this before. The cost of labour is just part of the problem.

You need a road and a container port or an airport or a train from which you can ship product. You have to bring all the components together, have access to clean water and electricity. Silicon Fabs can take years to plan and years to build. The reason that we have these worldwide shortages is about a lot more than just access to cheap labour. The whole semiconductor industry has been running for nearly 20 years on logistics systems that could not handle almost any disruption.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
No one knows how bad this one might be, but there will be even more variants and like the 1918 flu, one of those variants could kill more people than all the earlier variants combined. (The 4th wave of that flu killed more than the earlier 3 waves combined!)
Where do you get this? The CDC says that there were three waves, with the third wave ending by summer of 1919. They also say that the second wave was the deadliest. Where did you get your data?

Last edited:

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Well... depends which "surge" the Chinese are experiencing. Is Shenzen still being ravaged by Omicron? Most of the USA has already passed the Omicron peak, and now is in the declining stage.

The news article(s) doesn't really give us any epidemiology details regarding the Shenzen lockdown. We don't know. Is it Omicron? Or is is some scary NEW variant... which may ravage and shut down the USA economy a few months down the line?
Most of the economic impact is self inflicted. You can argue it’s worth/merit, but let’s not pretend and do the lazy blame game.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Tangentially...

What happens when China decides to invade Taiwan? (As plenty of analysts are saying that Russia's invasion of Ukraine is likely emboldening Xi Jinping on his own goals of "reunification"...)

Is Apple/Tim going to balls-up and say - no more trading, and thus - say goodbye to the majority of its manufacture arm?
You already know the answer to this! Just look at Apple’s “principled” stance on privacy there.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Millions saved lives is not success?
They hid this and unleashed it on the world. There was one shot at zero Covid and it was controlling it at the epicenter. They either didn’t want the bad press, or wanted everyone else to suffer just as much. Success!

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
No not necessarily. Australia and New Zealand had brutal lock downs. Many friends of mine from Australia wondered why 'we' were complaining about being saved from the virus and getting sick. I really had no response. One said 'do people continually put their hand on hot stoves?' or 'Continue to hit their heads with boards because it's all a hoax?'. Apparently many do, sadly.

I have been locked down for most of the pandemic, and I can say that it works. It really does help keep one healthy. I mask like a felon, and have been 'poked' three times. I avoid people like crazy, and only go out and shop at 'odd times' when volumes are low. I only recently went on a short vacation, and masked and Purelled like it was my paying job. I think we *can* live with the virus, but one has to be careful, and willing to limit their exposure avenues much more.
“Living” sounds absolutely wonderful.
But hey, it’s your life. If that’s what you wanna do, by all means. For me, avoiding people like crazy would be death. Again though, that’s me.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Zero Covid is probably unobtainable; the best case is it becomes like the flu where an annual vaccine is adequate protection for most people. At that point, testing is really not needed for most cases.
No way!
Glad we’ve figured this out 2.5 years in. Six months ago you’d be ostracized from digital society for saying such things.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Living in fear means me not getting 'long term Covid'. A friend of mine still can't walk across his house without stopping to gasp at breathing, over a year after he was released from a hospital and declared 'cured'. He's lost most of his muscle mass too. Covid is No Joke. Avoid it at all costs...

EDIT: The 1918 flu (Spanish Flu) killed over 100 million people. The forth wave was worse than all the previous waves combined. The virus eventually mutated to a less lethal state, and was largely eradicated due to early vaccines, and other control methods. It was based on the H1N1 virus, which still pops up even today...

View attachment 1973330
So what are we doing today to advance therapeutics? Or is it still just test and stay at home until you get so bad there’s nothing anyone can do? Should anyone suggest anything that might possibly help post infection, they are lunatics, shamed and driven away from any discussion. This is nonsensical to me.
The Spanish Flu is still with us.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Tell that to the families with children that have died.
Bring the statistics. Sorry if that is too cold for you, but sweeping policy should not be made on emotions. Shaming/guilting people like you are doing with this statement is wrong in my opinion.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
And how many more lives were affected by disastrous unscientific based decisions that costs jobs, mental health disease, affected kids in school, etc etc etc. Our response to COVID has been far worse than COVID itself. Kids and those without pre-existing conditions are not at risk for serious infection. Those under 18 are more likely to die in car crashes and suicide than of any of the variants of COVID-19. COVID has made people tribal-COVIDians who this has become religious dogma in all facets from vaccination to masks to lockdowns, and the COVIDiots who think this is all a joke. Sad that people can’t just use basic common sense.
Stop it with your facts. I don’t see any emotional charges here. You shall be banned!

Reactions: GuruZac

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA

View attachment 1973330
Again, this is contrary to what the CDC states. And I’m not aware of any vaccine available for the Spanish Flu — it doesn’t sound like there was any flu vaccine until the 40s. Where are you reading that the Spanish Flu was eradicated by a vaccine?

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Stop it with your facts. I don’t see any emotional charges here. You shall be banned!
While both these sides continue to argue about which methods work or don’t… a fundamental science problem still exists.

The microscope technology has never been precise enough to make any of these claims, because identification of coronaviruses at 1 micron has no real reliability. Most of these suppositions are based almost exclusively on theoretical viral modeling software packages.

It is strange that a continual deluge of rubber stamped, sciency fear is continued to be pumped out, and the overwhelming result has been nothing but keeping you fighting each other. Wonder why that is?

Superstitions are easily installed in humans, and the symptoms are long lasting.

BTW, this wouldn’t be the first time the Chinese gov has over hyped a virus for political/economic issues, it wouldn’t even be the fourth.

Sanctions, counter-sanctions, supply issues, economic uncertainty and saving face… these are areas of far more significance… and it’s a fundamental of all human history that superstitions will be deployed to serve these. Thinking yourselves immune, keeps you a peasant.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Preventing healthy people from working or leaving their homes. Sounds legit.
Sometimes this is what you'll have to do in order to prepare society for a new "format".

Obviously, in a situation where "middle class" disappears you'll need a different methods to manage a society. It is very easy to manage "middle class" people through marketing technologies. It is clear that very soon these technologies will become obsolete. Then what?
This is where QR-codes(CSAM scanning) and lockdowns might or might not help.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Well, China sees Taiwan as its own. So China wouldn't call it an invasion. To China, it's as if California Alaska wants to break away from the US and the federal government sends military forces to ensure that it doesn't happen.

Now imagine if that happens and China sends weapons to Alaskans and sends forces to defend California Alaska from the US government. That's actually how the Chinese government and people see the situation. Is it right or wrong? I don't know. That's not for me to decide. But that's how it is.

Fun fact: Taiwan officially claims the entirety of China as its own as well (Taiwan officially calls itself "Republic of China"). And if Taiwan was more powerful than China, it might try to retake China too.

But since the western media is so anti-China (probably due to racism and economic threat), people only hear one side. Most people making statements about China have no idea about the history and why things are the way it is.
So... I only read Western media... Tell me then - are Western media all telling lies about the million or so Uyghers the Chinese government has locked up in "education" centres?

That aside - whether the politics are right or wrong - if China does send its military into Taiwan, a good number of Western countries are going to see that as an invasion, much the same as is happening now in Russian/Ukraine.

I'm sure that if Trump were still in power, he'd be patting his friend Putin on the back. He did after all applaud Putin's "Peace Keeping" forces on the Ukraine border.

But a lot of the rest of the world sees this as potentially leading to World War 3.

Should we just hang the people of Ukraine out to try, despite their pleas for help?

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
No way!
Glad we’ve figured this out 2.5 years in. Six months ago you’d be ostracized from digital society for saying such things.

Not really. People have discussed that as the end game for quite some time. The question was how soon will we be at the point where it is endemic and not a pandemic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.