Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
China is the only country continuing with 'zero covid', with zero success...
Not sure what the definition is success is here, but if one looks at the death rate, they've been successful. Look at their death rates compared to almost any western country. Dramatically lower. And these figures are backed up by international observers. China is by no means a country I'd want to live in, but you have to give them their due. And one of the reasons Apple no doubt continues to produce there is that it has been so stable, thru covid.

Reactions: Tagbert

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
It has way more to do with the genocide of the Uyghurs and repression of the Tibetans
Ah yes, somehow re-education camps are now branded as genocides.

China deals with Islamic extremism and terrorism by brainwashing them in camps. The USA deals with it by bombing them and destabilizing countries.

I don't see China sanctioning the US.

Maybe China ought to sanction the US for the way the US represses African Americans too.

• Angry
Reactions: jons and diandi

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Millions saved lives is not success?

Yes because China has always been fully dedicated to saving the lives of their citizens by any means necessary...they have the ability to make, ship and administer a huge number of vaccines and the ability to force people to take them, and yet they are locking down instead. There in an ulterior motive with China doing this

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Covid hasn't gone anywhere here. The truth is that the BA.2 variant is not detectable by the current available tests. The PCR, THE test for Covid can not identify people infected with the new variants. So people thinking that 'Covid has ended!!!' are delusional. I got an education on testing as I was prepping for a quick vacation. All the hoops I had to jump through, and then told that the testing that I was hysterically required to get to 'prove I was not infected' was pointless. Well, not completely pointless, but the chances I could have been infected with BA.2 seems higher, and less obvious than a Delta infection that the test would identify.

Genetic sequencing is the only way, so far, to identify any new variant infections, and sequencing is not done that much. Like a scant fraction of people tested. Like 'n' counts of 50 or less... 'We' are still failing at the pandemic, and nothing has changed. Word has it that there is already another new variant sweeping Europe, and starting to show up in the very limited sequencing test groups in this country already. No one knows how bad this one might be, but there will be even more variants and like the 1918 flu, one of those variants could kill more people than all the earlier variants combined. (The 4th wave of that flu killed more than the earlier 3 waves combined!)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yes because China has always been fully dedicated to saving the lives of their citizens by any means necessary...they have the ability to make, ship and administer a huge number of vaccines and the ability to force people to take them, and yet they are locking down instead. There in an ulterior motive with China doing this

No not necessarily. Australia and New Zealand had brutal lock downs. Many friends of mine from Australia wondered why 'we' were complaining about being saved from the virus and getting sick. I really had no response. One said 'do people continually put their hand on hot stoves?' or 'Continue to hit their heads with boards because it's all a hoax?'. Apparently many do, sadly.

I have been locked down for most of the pandemic, and I can say that it works. It really does help keep one healthy. I mask like a felon, and have been 'poked' three times. I avoid people like crazy, and only go out and shop at 'odd times' when volumes are low. I only recently went on a short vacation, and masked and Purelled like it was my paying job. I think we *can* live with the virus, but one has to be careful, and willing to limit their exposure avenues much more.

• Angry
Reactions: tonyr6

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
CV is not airborne.

Not primarily. But if someone coughs or sneezes in your face, or immediately before you touch something and then you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, it's a risk for sure. So, no, you are not going to get it by walking through a store, but if someone in that store is contagious and coughs/sneezes on you, you are exposed, and the new variants are far more virulent and require a smaller initial viral load to cause infection.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not primarily. But if someone coughs or sneezes in your face, or immediately before you touch something and then you touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, it's a risk for sure. So, no, you are not going to get it by walking through a store, but if someone in that store is contagious and coughs/sneezes on you, you are exposed, and the new variants are far more virulent and require a smaller initial viral load to cause infection.
That's why masks, distancing, and washing/disinfecting your hands are all effective at reducing spread; they literally reduce the viral load you are exposed to.

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I wasn’t joking? I just know that the US has basically given up on the pandemic even though you still have like 10k covid related death per week and you hear people fighting about masks (even on here) while the mask is the least of some restriction related concerns in other countries (China, Germany, etc). I WISH the mask was the only thing we still had to fight about over here

It's less of a given up vs. moving towards the endemic stage. The US and EU have roughly the same numbers and, as in teh US States, EU states are approaching how the respond differently depending on their numbers and political climate.

- Do you believe the numbers?
- In 2020, there clearly was some success. But the virus got more contagious yet less lethal. This means zero covid requires a lot more restrictions with less lives being saved compared to 2020.

Zero Covid is probably unobtainable; the best case is it becomes like the flu where an annual vaccine is adequate protection for most people. At that point, testing is really not needed for most cases.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Zero Covid is probably unobtainable; the best case is it becomes like the flu where an annual vaccine is adequate protection for most people. At that point, testing is really not needed for most cases.
Especially if future variants continue the current trend of being less severe despite being more transmissable. Technically we are all still living with variants of the 1918 Influenza pandemic.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
China has been “on the verge” of invading Taiwan going on 50 years now. Didn’t invade even when pure Communist country highly unlikely now that reforms continue.
Yeah, OK. Not doing something because they lacked the means back then totally means they will not do it now. "Reforms"? Hahahaha!

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
I am not saying it is right, I am just saying there are still a lot of places in the world with a lot of restrictions. Ironically (Germany where I live) currently has the highest and rising infection rate of Europe while at the same time having the most restrictions. It is like the government feels like they need to justify freedom instead of having to justify restrictions. I hate it here sometimes.

That's because people in German might not be vaccinated.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
This article doesn't actually report the reason for the lock down. Is it COVID? Political unrest? A mental health break? I am assuming COVID, but it would be nice to have that confirmed in the article itself.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
No not necessarily. Australia and New Zealand had brutal lock downs. Many friends of mine from Australia wondered why 'we' were complaining about being saved from the virus and getting sick. I really had no response. One said 'do people continually put their hand on hot stoves?' or 'Continue to hit their heads with boards because it's all a hoax?'. Apparently many do, sadly.

I have been locked down for most of the pandemic, and I can say that it works. It really does help keep one healthy. I mask like a felon, and have been 'poked' three times. I avoid people like crazy, and only go out and shop at 'odd times' when volumes are low. I only recently went on a short vacation, and masked and Purelled like it was my paying job. I think we *can* live with the virus, but one has to be careful, and willing to limit their exposure avenues much more.

I think you are greatly greatly overestimating the risk of covid unless you are quite old or have multiple pre-existing conditions. If you are under 60 and healthy you have been completely brainwashed by fear. Everyone will eventually get covid, likely multiple times, and the extreme majority of those people will be completely fine. We are killing ourselves mentally and also killing the planet (due to the huge amount of plastic waste being generated) with all of the interventions

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This article doesn't actually report the reason for the lock down. Is it COVID? Political unrest? A mental health break? I am assuming COVID, but it would be nice to have that confirmed in the article itself.
If you really want more information just click on Nikkei Asia link.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Apple needs to continue efforts to diversify production even if it eats into their profits / pricing. Relying so much on one country and that country being China is surely a massive risk. There are many other lower cost locations with a technical base which apple can encourage Foxconn to expand into in the long term - India, Vietnam, even Turkey.
I don't know about India and Vietnam, but I've heard Turkey's president Erdogan is a bit dictator-ish. The US should be careful with Turkey as well as China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.