Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
And the US still claims the pandemic is over haha
What are you talking about? The US has not said that. With current infection rates low, many areas are lifting masking requirements, but reminding people that should infections spike again, we may need to mask up again.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yes, people who are living a fear based existence and need someone to tell them when and how to live their lives.

Living in fear means me not getting 'long term Covid'. A friend of mine still can't walk across his house without stopping to gasp at breathing, over a year after he was released from a hospital and declared 'cured'. He's lost most of his muscle mass too. Covid is No Joke. Avoid it at all costs...

EDIT: The 1918 flu (Spanish Flu) killed over 100 million people. The forth wave was worse than all the previous waves combined. The virus eventually mutated to a less lethal state, and was largely eradicated due to early vaccines, and other control methods. It was based on the H1N1 virus, which still pops up even today...

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 12.41.00 PM.png

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
A democracy like the one in the US probably wouldn't work in China anyways due to culture, history, and population size.
Democracy works fine in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. What makes the Chinese in China incapable of enjoying basic fundamental rights? Your comment sounds a little racist although I am sure you do not mean it be.

Reactions: Da_Hood and Tagbert

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple's leading supplier, Foxconn, has been forced to suspend operations in Shenzhen, China, following a city-wide lockdown that sees nonessential businesses close, public transportation halted, and residents advised not to leave their home unless for essential activities only.
I’m glad Apple has manufacturing spread out rather then just in Shenzhen. I wonder how much these city lockdowns will effect specific product flow?

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
What prompted the lockdown?
See this article

Two major Chinese cities -- northeastern industrial hub Changchun and southern economic hub Shenzhen -- are under lockdown, with more than 26 million residents forbidden from leaving their homes.

Reactions: I7guy

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think you are greatly greatly overestimating the risk of covid unless you are quite old or have multiple pre-existing conditions. If you are under 60 and healthy you have been completely brainwashed by fear. Everyone will eventually get covid, likely multiple times, and the extreme majority of those people will be completely fine. We are killing ourselves mentally and also killing the planet (due to the huge amount of plastic waste being generated) with all of the interventions

Tell that to the families with children that have died. Tell that to the grieving spouses of the 20, 30, and 40 somethings that have died. Too many people 'in the media' have played this pandemic short, and the bungling of the government hasn't helped at all. Even physicians I know were and are furious of the CDC and their idiotic behavior. And now, they are filled with a sense of fear and panic at what will very likely happen, just like the 1918 flu. We are setting ourselves up to have millions die because people couldn't listen to logical people saying 'It's not over, be safe'...

• Angry
Reactions: tonyr6 and Tagbert

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Yes, I know your beef isn't with the people. Most people in the West like to think that their beef is only with the government - and nothing to do with deep-rooted racism where it's the white man's duty to "civilize" other cultures.
You lost me with that deep-rooted racism nonsense, and that’s quite the broad accusation to say “most people in the west.”

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
It would have been a more complete news story had the MR editors posted the back-story.
Worse yet is it‘s the Omicron variant, a variant with spike proteins some consider so far mutated away from SARS-CoV2 it should be called another seasonal upper respiratory Coronavirus family member. It’s also the endemic strain due to it binding ACE2 receptors in the lungs with 90% less affinity than the Delta variant, which is why it causes significantly less disease. Countries locking down over the Omicron variant are ignorantly delaying the inevitable.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Tell that to the families with children that have died. Tell that to the grieving spouses of the 20, 30, and 40 somethings that have died. Too many people 'in the media' have played this pandemic short, and the bungling of the government hasn't helped at all. Even physicians I know were and are furious of the CDC and their idiotic behavior. And now, they are filled with a sense of fear and panic at what will very likely happen, just like the 1918 flu. We are setting ourselves up to have millions die because people couldn't listen to logical people saying 'It's not over, be safe'...
And how many more lives were affected by disastrous unscientific based decisions that costs jobs, mental health disease, affected kids in school, etc etc etc. Our response to COVID has been far worse than COVID itself. Kids and those without pre-existing conditions are not at risk for serious infection. Those under 18 are more likely to die in car crashes and suicide than of any of the variants of COVID-19. COVID has made people tribal-COVIDians who this has become religious dogma in all facets from vaccination to masks to lockdowns, and the COVIDiots who think this is all a joke. Sad that people can’t just use basic common sense.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yes, I know your beef isn't with the people. Most people in the West like to think that their beef is only with the government - and nothing to do with deep-rooted racism where it's the white man's duty to "civilize" other cultures.

All I'm saying is that the lives of the Chinese people are still improving and improving at a rate that is higher than many democracies. They have no reason to try to overthrow the government right now.

When they need to, they will do it themselves. No government lasts forever and the Chinese people have been overthrowing governments for milleniums.

I read an article written from the perspective of a woman accompanying her husband to his new job in Japan. She thought it was racism, their reaction to her, but decided it's more of a nationalism and xenophobia thing. They 'tolerated' her husband because 'man', and 'employed', but the reaction to her was very much more 'frosty' to downright outwardly negative. 'They' just view outsiders with some fear and downright distrust. She was surprised, but has gotten used to it. Some people have gotten more accepting, but it's just a societal fear/dislike of outsiders. I've heard that from many others that have either worked or vacationed off the 'tourist trap' usual spots. 'They don't appear to be dependent on tourist money' was one comment I heard. Well, yeah. That's not all bad. I grew to 'dislike' cruising the Caribbean because every port ends up looking nearly the same. The watch/jeweler shops, the alcohol stores, the trinket vendors, the insanity... I loved the chance to go to the core of Barcelona on a trip there and see the 'real Barcelona', the areas that people actually live in. The people were great, but some were looking askance at me walking through the massive market, eyes no doubt bugged out at the goods for sale. Seafood so fresh it's still trying to breathe.

But, back to China, a lot of their fear is government sponsored, so there is that... *shrug*

I wish the early American Indians had been more suspicious of those pasty white people showing up on their beach. Hmm...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Worse yet is it‘s the Omicron variant, a variant with spike proteins some consider so far mutated away from SARS-CoV2 it should be called another seasonal upper respiratory Coronavirus family member. It’s also the endemic strain due to it binding ACE2 receptors in the lungs with 90% less affinity than the Delta variant, which is why it causes significantly less disease. Countries locking down over the Omicron variant are ignorantly delaying the inevitable.

Omicron is old news. Delta is too. BA.2, and this newer variant showing up in Europe and limited here is the new thing.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And how many more lives were affected by disastrous unscientific based decisions that costs jobs, mental health disease, affected kids in school, etc etc etc. Our response to COVID has been far worse than COVID itself. Kids and those without pre-existing conditions are not at risk for serious infection. Those under 18 are more likely to die in car crashes and suicide than of any of the variants of COVID-19. COVID has made people tribal-COVIDians who this has become religious dogma in all facets from vaccination to masks to lockdowns, and the COVIDiots who think this is all a joke. Sad that people can’t just use basic common sense.

Funny that while 'the media' was trumpeting that it only killed 'old people', a friend told me of a 23 year-old, no preexisting conditions, showed up in his ER and was dead in less than 32 hours. Others showed up over the succeeding weeks. But it 'was not killing the young'. Oops...

If you believe everything you hear, what does that make you? I prefer not to get sick. Seriously prefer not to get sick. People that have no self respect or care for themselves, well, they can roll the dice... Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'm still healthy and surviving, thank you...

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Funny that while 'the media' was trumpeting that it only killed 'old people', a friend told me of a 23 year-old, no preexisting conditions, showed up in his ER and was dead in less than 32 hours. Others showed up over the succeeding weeks. But it 'was not killing the young'. Oops...

If you believe everything you hear, what does that make you? I prefer not to get sick. Seriously prefer not to get sick. People that have no self respect or care for themselves, well, they can roll the dice... Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I'm still healthy and surviving, thank you...
Again, you are giving me an example, anecdotal on top, of a 23-year old with no pre-existing conditions who died in 32 hours. I can tell from my time in the hospital and clinics, and with a brother who is a pulmonologist/critical care doctor at Mission hospital in Asheville, NC that, even if that were true, is incredibly rare with any of the variants of COVID.

Before you make sweeping assumptions, I am a medical student, I've spent plenty of time in clinics and hospitals, and have family intimately involved with COVID from the get go. I am well aware of the reality of COVID and what people like you are doing is using an isolated case, and somehow extrapolating that to be the norm. Doesn't work that way. And how do we know what his or her pre-existing conditions were? Some hospitals don't report obesity as a pre-existing condition, which as anyone knows, is one of the worst pre-existing conditions.

One can take COVID serious while also not being fearful and dogmatic which too many have become. Like I said, COVID no matter what side you're on has a become a religion for people. We need more moderate voices with sound scientific data to support policy making. We have absolutely not had that in the U.S.

Reactions: planteater

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Again, you are giving me an example, anecdotal on top, of a 23-year old with no pre-existing conditions who died in 32 hours. I can tell from my time in the hospital and clinics, and with a brother who is a pulmonologist/critical care doctor at Mission hospital in Asheville, NC that, even if that were true, is incredibly rare with any of the variants of COVID.

Before you make sweeping assumptions, I am a medical student, I've spent plenty of time in clinics and hospitals, and have family intimately involved with COVID from the get go. I am well aware of the reality of COVID and what people like you are doing is using an isolated case, and somehow extrapolating that to be the norm. Doesn't work that way. And how do we know what his or her pre-existing conditions were? Some hospitals don't report obesity as a pre-existing condition, which as anyone knows, is one of the worst pre-existing conditions.

One can take COVID serious while also not being fearful and dogmatic which too many have become. Like I said, COVID no matter what side you're on has a become a religion for people. We need more moderate voices with sound scientific data to support policy making. We have absolutely not had that in the U.S.

Well, far be it for me to question a medical student. What was I thinking. I mean, I get a lot of the goings on with Covid from real board certified ER physicians, and also being married to one. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me. I mean, I must be so fearful from hearing the stories and living the concern here in the trenches that I forgot my place.

BTW: The local medical school has had quite a few 'medical students' actually die of Covid. Nurses, and real physicians too. Of all ages.

/SnarkyReply

EDIT: Sorry, but I've had it. I will avoid this thread now like, well, the plague...

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Well, far be it for me to question a medical student. What was I thinking. I mean, I get a lot of the goings on with Covid from real board certified ER physicians, and also being married to one. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me. I mean, I must be so fearful from hearing the stories and living the concern here in the trenches that I forgot my place.

BTW: The local medical school has had quite a few 'medical students' actually die of Covid. Nurses, and real physicians too. Of all ages.

/SnarkyReply

EDIT: Sorry, but I've had it. I will avoid this thread now like, well, the plague...
I'm sorry I'm not qualified in your eyes to make judgements based on experiences most Americans don't have. Furthermore, I guess my brother, a triple board certified physician in Internal Medicine, Pulmonology, and Critical Care, who has literally been on the front line with COVID since March 2020 also isn't qualified.

It is also curious that you happen to know or have heard of all of these young people who have died from COVID, when that is literally statistically less likely to happen than suicide and car accidents for young no pre-existing comorbidity demographics. Just stop ?‍?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
So why are people fighting it so much?

Never attribute to something else that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

and remember,

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White, American humorist and philosopher

Of course; but so much BS and false information gets touted that moderate voices are drowned out. In addition, given the natural inclination for scientists not to talk in absolutes and change their views as more is learned puts them at disadvantage to voices that care not what they say but want to reach as large an audience as possible for tehir own reason. As a result, they can scream "Liar" and ignore that science is an ongoing voyage of discovery, with an occasional port of call to visit trinket shops and gets some cheap booze.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Especially if future variants continue the current trend of being less severe despite being more transmissable. Technically we are all still living with variants of the 1918 Influenza pandemic.

In some ways that is good since if it was far less severe it possible would help keep the immune system ready to respond. Of course, as with the 1918 variant it could always mutate at some point in a way that makes it much more dangerous.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Of course; but so much BS and false information gets touted that moderate voices are drowned out. In addition, given the natural inclination for scientists not to talk in absolutes and change their views as more is learned puts them at disadvantage to voices that care not what they say but want to reach as large an audience as possible for tehir own reason. As a result, they can scream "Liar" and ignore that science is an ongoing voyage of discovery, with an occasional port of call to visit trinket shops and gets some cheap booze.
Sadly, only the most extreme, uninformed voices are the loudest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.