Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
You can't do it if the country is following moronic economic policies. When you get inflation, you raise interest rates. That reduces inflation and it gives you future ammunition for the time when your economy slows down. Instead of raising rates, they are cutting them. This is causing other countries to not hold their currency and companies not to want to deal with their country.
That’s usually the case but it’s not so simple when the country is experiencing slow economic growth and high inflation. Raising rates will further hurt the economy. There is no easy fix to stagflation because recession and inflation are diametrically opposed.

Turkey’s problem was caused by the same thing the US is doing now… printing money and increasing debt to unsustainable levels, yet the US gov’t is looking for ways to borrow/spend even more.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
Face ID just may not be feasible in that size. SD Express and HDMI 2.1, well, would be nice, but Apple rarely does everything and the kitchen sink in one revision.
Odds are its parts availability. The parts used in the 14"/16" are the alternatives that are available on hand.

Asus was supposed to ship a Zen 2-based mini PC last year. it was delayed for months for 1 audio chip. If Asus had a better supply chain manager they'd have had a backup chip. It appears they didn't. How many buyers would have not mind buying the mini PC with the "plan B" chip? In Apple's case they're using their "plan B" parts.

More people would buy MBP due to the Apple silicon chip rather than just for the parts I mentioned. Those missing parts are nice to have but are not the primary drivers for purchase.

I have a 2019 MBP 16" Core i7. I would never replace in a decade's time for MagSafe, Face ID, SDexpress, HDMI 2.1 or the new keyboard. I would do so for M1 Pro. I'd have never bought it if I knew that Apple silicon was that awesome and just kept to the 2011 MBP 13" for 120 months.

The notch is associated primarily with Face ID.

• Love
Reactions: Maximara

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Odds are its parts availability. The parts used in the 14"/16" are the alternatives that are available on hand.

This suggests they made a last-minute move to swap parts for lesser ones, which is difficult to pull off at their scale. I don't buy it.

The notch is associated primarily with Face ID.

The notch is associated with reducing overall bezels. Face ID can be done without it; see iPad Pro.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
This suggests they made a last-minute move to swap parts for lesser ones, which is difficult to pull off at their scale. I don't buy it.

The notch is associated with reducing overall bezels. Face ID can be done without it; see iPad Pro.
Good supplychain have alternative suppliers.

Example would be the cellular modem of the iPhone. Before it was sourced from Qualcomm & Intel.

GM & Ford that shut down their plants over unique parts from probably 1 or handful of suppliers.

In our workplace I had to source $699 ThinkPad AMD laptops from a dealer >800km away on a a different island.

Doesnt matter if you believe me its what likely occurred. Always have a backup plan when the main parts vendor cannot deliver or else you'll be making people wait for Apple silicon over a "nice to have" FaceID?

If Apple decided to do and that came to light then whoever runs their supply chain would be terminated.

Like all corporate campuses of Apple would have 2 or more fiber internet connections from different ISPs. So in case 1 goes down their is a failover.

Last edited:

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
And this is the NEW Lira! In 2010 under the old Lira there were 1.2 million per US Dollar. In 2012, when the new Lira was introduced, it converted the old lira 1 million to 1, meaning if the old Lira was still in use there'd be about 153 million per dollar.
Venezuelan here originally, we went through this at least once while I was still living there and then couple of times again or something (stopped following)… I find it so moronic, beyond just being easier on the books. During those days they would remove zeroes to the currency (Bolivar) and call it “Strong Bolivar” (official new currency name), do months of government campaigns about it, how it was going to strengthen the economy, people clamoring and clapping about it.

if Turkey is any similar then they have it coming. Any country that devalues the money like so and then hides it by removing zeroes so that they can continue the devalue process is downright stealing it’s people directly from their pockets.

• Love

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Good supplychain have alternative suppliers.

Example would be the cellular modem of the iPhone. Before it was sourced from Qualcomm & Intel.

That requires long-term planning, testing, and a PCB that can interact with either chip (or two versions of the PCB).

If they knew a year and a half ago that this might happen, yeah, it's possible that they decided "we'll use UHS-II as a plan B". But the far more likely explanation is that they never prioritized the specs on the SD slot in the first place, which makes sense because the MBP has plenty of improvements in other areas, including some that seemed pie-in-the-sky (it introduces mini-LED and 120 Hz, for example). Apple always likes to leave further improvements for next year.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
That requires long-term planning, testing, and a PCB that can interact with either chip (or two versions of the PCB).

If they knew a year and a half ago that this might happen, yeah, it's possible that they decided "we'll use UHS-II as a plan B". But the far more likely explanation is that they never prioritized the specs on the SD slot in the first place, which makes sense because the MBP has plenty of improvements in other areas, including some that seemed pie-in-the-sky (it introduces mini-LED and 120 Hz, for example). Apple always likes to leave further improvements for next year.
No one knew how COVID-19 would disrupt global trade.

If they did then Apple would have made a killing on crypto and AMC and Gamestop.

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
This is what will happen in the United States if the fed keeps printing money & further devalues the dollar. It's a main force driving people to adopt crypto assets.

It’s never a surprise when crypto people show their ignorance of real economics and the real world.

’Printing money’ is essential to provide liquidity to growing economies and growing populations and new investments, especially when billionaires are dodging taxes and hoarding their money off shore.

Crypto assets are pyramid schemes and illegal securities controlled by a very small group of people and have bigger concentration of wealth and hoarding than any other asset or money in the world. It’s simply a right wing authoritarian power grab using populist language and gambling to bring in suckers and brainwash them.

The situation in Turkey is caused by the mismanagement of Erdogan who has given himself central bank powers, fired the real experts, and cut interest rates too much. He is not qualified for any of this and is making idiotic decisions. All the experts have been saying interest rates have to go up.

It could be he has done this because he and his cronies have a vested interest in breaking the Turkish Lira.

When politicians touch crypto, gold, petroleum and other investments then it encourages them to sabotage their own economy and their own currency so that they can ‘try’ to profit from their investments.

In other words, crypto is part of the very old problem of deep corruption and greed. No wonder it is mostly conservatives and religious fundamentalists who support it.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
No one knew how COVID-19 would disrupt global trade.

If they did then Apple would have made a killing on crypto and AMC and Gamestop.

You're making my point. This too unusual for them to have a contingency plan.

Yes, they sometimes dual-source. Yes, they might have a plan B for some parts. But having a finished design for a product with SD Express and another with UHS-II for the off chance that they can't source enough SD Express parts is quite unlikely. A prototype? Probably! They also had prototypes of a MacBook Pro with cellular a decade ago, so that doesn't mean much.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
You're making my point. This too unusual for them to have a contingency plan.

Yes, they sometimes dual-source. Yes, they might have a plan B for some parts. But having a finished design for a product with SD Express and another with UHS-II for the off chance that they can't source enough SD Express parts is quite unlikely. A prototype? Probably! They also had prototypes of a MacBook Pro with cellular a decade ago, so that doesn't mean much.
I'm not and I do not understand why you need to have your very unlikely narrative to be right.

I'd have more faith in people who actually worked in supply chain. Judging by the way you think it isnt you.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
The main thing driving people to call crypto a Ponzi scheme is a lack of understanding of its benefits.

Sure, there are some edge-cases of idiotic blockchain projects out there, but the power of financial assets and contracts on a block chain is undeniable.
Explain to us how the ERC-721 standard for NFTs guarantees a unique relationship between a digital asset and a contract without reference to an external (non-blockchain) resource, assuming the first suggested implementation of the tokenId (as a simple, linearly incremented reference number).

An NFT is like a fiat currency where the guarantor of value isn't a country with an army, a navy, a treasury, and a GDP, but rather the guarantor of value is your neighbor's 23-year old kid who lives in their basement and spends most of the day on his gaming rig.

Reactions: aidler

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Then you are blinder than me and I have 20/200 vision. :cool:

That makes no economic sense. The price is generally based on the exchange rate of the currencies, It has always been that way in the modern world. Never mind things like shipping and transport must be paid for.

If you do research you would find that Turkey has been, for the most part with brief signs they might get it together, an economic train wreck in motion since the late 1960s ie half a century. Heck, €1 is 1,936.27 Italian lire right now and dropping like a freaking stone.
This sounds like circular logic.

tny

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Washington, DC
It’s never a surprise when crypto people show their ignorance of real economics and the real world.

’Printing money’ is essential to provide liquidity to growing economies and growing populations and new investments, especially when billionaires are dodging taxes and hoarding their money off shore.

Crypto assets are pyramid schemes and illegal securities controlled by a very small group of people and have bigger concentration of wealth and hoarding than any other asset or money in the world. It’s simply a right wing authoritarian power grab using populist language and gambling to bring in suckers and brainwash them.

The situation in Turkey is caused by the mismanagement of Erdogan who has given himself central bank powers, fired the real experts, and cut interest rates too much. He is not qualified for any of this and is making idiotic decisions. All the experts have been saying interest rates have to go up.

It could be he has done this because he and his cronies have a vested interest in breaking the Turkish Lira.

When politicians touch crypto, gold, petroleum and other investments then it encourages them to sabotage their own economy and their own currency so that they can ‘try’ to profit from their investments.

In other words, crypto is part of the very old problem of deep corruption and greed. No wonder it is mostly conservatives and religious fundamentalists who support it.
To build on this - crypto transaction fees ("gas") are too high and its volatility too high to make any type of crypto a viable everyday currency, there's no intrinsic value (or even sentimental value, like there might be with a collectible) - its value is purely a function of demand. There isn't even real scarcity - every time the market for a particular cryptocurrency becomes saturated enough to make the tokens "scarce," a new cryptocurrency is spun up.

Basically, crypto is what you get when a generation who grew up stealing music on limewire and never taking a macro economics class (but watching lots of YouTube videos about "Austrian economics") realizes they can't use their computers to replicate cars and houses, and gets taken advantage of by applied math graduates who have been trying to leverage cryptography into a new "product," only to discover the power of ponzi and apply it to an overwrought cryptographic data structure. (Until the big-boy grifters with Cayman Islands accounts get involved.)

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
I can tell by the price of YouTube Premium. I used to pay 1,90 Euro (16 Euro in Germany LOL) and recently I was charged less than 1,70 Euro ?
It's over, everything is over. the life before 2019 comes never back again. The economy already collapsed in 2008, now they just pull the plug out. Most Apple user, especially here on Macrumors thinks, that the life ist getting back to normality, but NO, it will get even worse !

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
It's called a "Ponzi scheme" by people who don't understand what a Ponzi scheme actually is. Crypto should more properly be labeled an "asset price bubble".
Isn't that institutionalised finance dating back to the opening of the stock exchanges...???

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
To build on this - crypto transaction fees ("gas") are too high and its volatility too high to make any type of crypto a viable everyday currency, there's no intrinsic value (or even sentimental value, like there might be with a collectible) - its value is purely a function of demand. There isn't even real scarcity - every time the market for a particular cryptocurrency becomes saturated enough to make the tokens "scarce," a new cryptocurrency is spun up.

Basically, crypto is what you get when a generation who grew up stealing music on limewire and never taking a macro economics class (but watching lots of YouTube videos about "Austrian economics") realizes they can't use their computers to replicate cars and houses, and gets taken advantage of by applied math graduates who have been trying to leverage cryptography into a new "product," only to discover the power of ponzi and apply it to an overwrought cryptographic data structure. (Until the big-boy grifters with Cayman Islands accounts get involved.)

Some tokenization will continue to exist after they are regulated like stocks but 98% of them will be delisted and disappear. The only ones that will survive will need known ownership and these “crypto wallets” will be integrated into traditional services like banking apps, etc.

All these crypto fanboys will have to learn some hard truths about how economics really work in the real world and stop trying to leach off gullible people.

The hardcore thought leaders in this space who don’t welcome regulations will probably run away to live with Putin and keep trying to bribe dictators like Bukele. They’ll just need to get slapped with sanctions and travel bans.

• Love

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Isn't that institutionalised finance dating back to the opening of the stock exchanges...???

No, and you know that isn’t true. You just say these populist jargon because you think it sounds cool.

Yes there is bad behavior in stock markets and venture capitalism and guess what? A lot of them get punished, there is more room to crack down on them and most of the bad actors in finance are now crypto scammers.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: beanbaguk

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Turkey’s problem was caused by the same thing the US is doing now… printing money and increasing debt to unsustainable levels, yet the US gov’t is looking for ways to borrow/spend even more.

You’re showing ignorance.

Turkey’s problem is that their idiot dictator fired central bankers and experts and took control of the central bank‘s decisions which he has no qualifications for. He’s a top level moron of galactic proportions. The Turkish Lira had lower and lower demand because their leader is an idiot who created a hostile environment for business and tourism, and then Ergodan kept cutting interest rates at a very unstable time. What a dumbo.

The US prints money to maintain healthy amount of money in the market because there is a DEMAND for those dollars, not just in the US but also globally. All major economic powers print more money for the same reason - they expect growth and have to increase the money supply to fund that growth.

National debt is fine as long as there is a big economy to back it up. Companies have debt for the same reason. Starts up have debt for the same reason. Individuals take mortgages and loans for the same reason. Debt is also traded as a financial instrument on the global markets. The Bond market doesn’t exist without it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.