Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Make sense. If there was a situation that threatened the security of the public, they would have the power to investigate the guilty parties.

Historically Apple has shown that they’re unwilling to co-operate with unlocking phones for authorities. Can you blame the government for wanting to side-step them?

Apple is not able to get into anyone's phone. That's the nature of the encryption-designed to be unbreakable by Apple. That's not refusing to cooperate-nor is it a refusal to cooperate when Apple continues to make its encryption impervious to being broken into.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn and Luap

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
It was a less worse option than the alternative in 2019.
This is why your country is such a disaster and is viewed as the sickman of Europe nowadays. Tory and pretend Tory (Labour) are indistinguishable so folk still vote Tory. You had a chance to break the cycle for good in 2019 but were happy to sip the kool aid that Boris and his cronies spouted. All which was proven to be lies yet you would still vote Tory. Who is the real problem here?

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
I have anecdata from every thread that ever mentioned WhatsApp with dozens of Europeans chiming in to say “who uses SMS and iMessage? Everyone uses WhatsApp!”
In this regard UK is not Europe. Apple products are way more popular there than on the continent - both iMessage and FaceTime are at least as popular as Whatsapp.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I just find it funny that people don't understand that a government is limited in its power and when it starts barking orders without any input from whom they are ordering around, they are no longer a democracy but an oligarchic tyranny.
Doesn’t the UK have a bit of a history of making orders without representation? Just going back to their roots?

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Exactly! We need far more transparency to what is actually happening.
No level of transparency is ever enough, though. Someone could take great pains to lay everything out in great detail, digging up every morsel of information available… BUT, for someone who wants the data to confirm their scenario is occurring, they will always be free to say “YOU’RE STILL HIDING SOMETHING! You MUST be because this doesn’t prove my point at ALL!”

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Sortof. In this specific case FaceTime continues to work in China in its encrypted fashion so long as your calls stay within China. Calling using FaceTime outside of China from within does not seem to work well. To me this says that Apple didn't change its technologies but China is restricting it on the back end. I'd be very surprised if they were actually monitoring FaceTime calls as that would be a very expensive proposition.
Good point. The big difference between the UK and China is that China’s fine with their citizens not being able to use iMessage to communicate with folks outside the country very well.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
This is why your country is such a disaster and is viewed as the sickman of Europe nowadays. Tory and pretend Tory (Labour) are indistinguishable so folk still vote Tory. You had a chance to break the cycle for good in 2019 but were happy to sip the kool aid that Boris and his cronies spouted. All which was proven to be lies yet you would still vote Tory. Who is the real problem here?
I’ll take my “disaster” of a country over most if not all others frankly. Any day of the week.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
It think this is a good position for Apple to take. I do wish they'd bring this energy to pushing back against Chinese requirements that Apple cooperate in state censorship and outing dissidents.

Reactions: SFjohn

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
A large majority of voters have always been not to bright or well informed, however democracy is still the best way to govern
Yes, but limited in the form of a Republic has been shown to be the most resilient. Then again, the man who claimed this was Cicero and he had his head cut off by Antonius

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
I’ll take my “disaster” of a country over most if not all others frankly. Any day of the week.
I wouldn't and didn't. I couldn't leave fast enough and feel embarrassed to come from there. I thought it was a disaster when I lived there but now the country committed suicide by leaving the EU. Thank goodness I qualify for an EU passport other ways.

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
didn't apple claim they would never allow side-loading, yet the EU brought in a law and now we're getting side-loading in the EU by all accounts in either iOS17 or next release?
It hasnt appeared yet, Apple may well decide to dump the EU and let people buy their phones from the states via Amazon ! I think pulling iphone sales in any EU country because of the Govt there would be an electoral disaster for any establishment.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Sortof. In this specific case FaceTime continues to work in China in its encrypted fashion so long as your calls stay within China. Calling using FaceTime outside of China from within does not seem to work well. To me this says that Apple didn't change its technologies but China is restricting it on the back end. I'd be very surprised if they were actually monitoring FaceTime calls as that would be a very expensive proposition.

China spares no expense when it comes to surveillance. No “communist” countries do. They can afford to have a person watch every foreigner personally. I doubt these are high paying jobs. It’s for the glory of the state, comrade.

Monitoring FaceTime calls would be expensive to set up but not all that expensive to maintain. And again, expense is not an issue. They don’t call it the Great Firewall for nothing.

According to Microsoft, the Chinese stole very secret encryption keys and used them to break into US government and Microsoft servers. I think China could get the keys for FaceTime or whatever else they want.

They mandated a few years ago that all servers serving Chinese users must be in China. All of Apple’s encryption works so seamlessly because Apple manages a lot of keys. Well, Apple’s servers do. The ones in China, for the Chinese users. They don’t actually have to steal anything in this case.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
There needs to be international consensus over this. The UK can’t do their own thing without conflicting with privacy laws in other countries. I doubt Apple could keep Messages and FaceTime in the UK if the government proceeds with this.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
China spares no expense when it comes to surveillance. No “communist” countries do. They can afford to have a person watch every foreigner personally. I doubt these are high paying jobs. It’s for the glory of the state, comrade.

Monitoring FaceTime calls would be expensive to set up but not all that expensive to maintain. And again, expense is not an issue. They don’t call it the Great Firewall for nothing.

According to Microsoft, the Chinese stole very secret encryption keys and used them to break into US government and Microsoft servers. I think China could get the keys for FaceTime or whatever else they want.

They mandated a few years ago that all servers serving Chinese users must be in China. All of Apple’s encryption works so seamlessly because Apple manages a lot of keys. Well, Apple’s servers do. The ones in China, for the Chinese users. They don’t actually have to steal anything in this case.
China just blocks services and sets up their own replacement. They would never ask for a back door to this type of service. Apple wouldn’t be able to comply anyway. E2EE only works when there is international consensus on regulations. You can’t have it work differently in different places without siloing it to a particular country.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
It hasnt appeared yet, Apple may well decide to dump the EU and let people buy their phones from the states via Amazon ! I think pulling iphone sales in any EU country because of the Govt there would be an electoral disaster for any establishment.

Not even that. If Apple decided to pull put of the EU instead of complying with the new law, european mobile carriers would likely blacklist all of Apple’s iphones due to noncompliance with the new local laws, meaning that even if people bought the iphones from the US via amazon they wouldn’t be able to use them with European sim cards or esims.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
China just blocks services and sets up their own replacement. They would never ask for a back door to this type of service. Apple wouldn’t be able to comply anyway. E2EE only works when there is international consensus on regulations. You can’t have it work differently in different places without siloing it to a particular country.

It doesn’t have to work differently, China just has to have access to the private keys and control to distribute keys to users. They can automatically insert themselves into a conversation as a user by adding that key to the group conversation. This is already something that has been discussed outside the context of China. That’s what iMessage key verification is supposed to be about. If I understand it correctly, you can finally do direct key exchange so Apple doesn’t have to intermediate. I don’t know if it’s actually direct exchange or just verification though. Crucial difference.

But yes they do just usually block and emulate. You may recall that the iPhone was not available in China for several years. They eventually struck a deal. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten to read that document. Would be interesting reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.