Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Another sad day for humans, and their privacy. I hope Brits protest and not let this happen. I hope Apple sticks to their theoretical morals as well 🤞🤞

Reactions: MacMan2013

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
While I would agree that iMessage doesn't have the same kind of marketshare in the UK (other apps are generally more popular), it would be bad for the government if Apple said in public that it was removing iMessage and FaceTime from their devices due to the law.

These services are pretty widely known, and the more of them that threaten to withdraw, the worse it will look.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Android also has a far larger marketshare here. If iMessage and FaceTime were to shut down, everyone would just use WhatsApp.The only reason I do not exclusively use WhatsApp is because they don't offer an Apple Watch App.

1. iOS has over 50% market share in The UK.

2. WhatsApp would be equally affected by this and is also objecting.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
didn't apple claim they would never allow side-loading, yet the EU brought in a law and now we're getting side-loading in the EU by all accounts in either iOS17 or next release?

Reactions: Luap

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
it depends who you ask and where you ask.
but according to a stat i just found, apple is the most used phone brand in the uK (as of March 2023) with 50% marketshare.

Region
United Kingdom
Survey time period
April 2022 to March 2023
Number of respondents
3,880 respondents
Age group
18-64 years

i agree there was a time where whatsapp was the more dominant chat tool, but from what i can see that share has been dropping each year.

in spain though, i believe Samsung is very dominant there.
All of which supports the notion that iMessage and FaceTim would not be missed too much in UK or Europe. As you write, about 50% already don't have them now, and those that do also use WhatsApp already, in some cases even as the dominant protocol.
As a result, Apple probably won't lose sales if they dropped these two services, there will be grumbling, but not more.

• Haha
Reactions: 4odomi

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Which is generally met by others in Europe saying thats not true at all. I'm UK and barely use Whatsapp bar a couple of group threads for things. Everything else is iMessage or just normal SMS.
But you could switch to WhatsApp with zero effort, as you do already use it, even if not as your main messenger.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
didn't apple claim they would never allow side-loading, yet the EU brought in a law and now we're getting side-loading in the EU by all accounts in either iOS17 or next release?
The EU isn't the only market where regulators have indicated that sideloading ought to be possible, and of course, the EU itself is a big market, so simply ditching it isn't a good option for Apple.

If Apple is going to say "we won't sell in market X because of law Y", then they'll pretty quickly run out of places to sell.

I imagine with sideloading they can see that is a change worth making, whereas removing encryption and privacy features for just the UK isn't worth it to them.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
No need to defend iMessage and FaceTime... They are used in the UK, but nowhere near as important as in the US. WhatsApp is very strong in UK and Europe. Like, the green versus blue bubble issue is not a thing here. Group Chats are always done on WhatsApp, I have never ever been invited to an iMessage Group Chat. Android also has a far larger marketshare here. If iMessage and FaceTime were to shut down, everyone would just use WhatsApp.The only reason I do not exclusively use WhatsApp is because they don't offer an Apple Watch App.
Again this is your experience. Personally in many groupchats in iMessage and don’t even have whatsapp installed. I also know loads of people who are judging of the green bubbles.

• Haha
Reactions: strongy and sflagel

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
I'm sure UK citizens will be exstatic without Signal, Whatsapp and Facetime.
When I was a teenager (mid 2000s) the Uk was everything to me and I had the dream of living in London.
Consider that some of my brothers are of half english heritage and I spent all my youth watching british sit-coms (Only fools and horses and Fawlty Towers being my favourites, among many others).
I was in love with the traditional british culture, especially its former "edge" and freedom of expression; it really felt like the UK was the place where the most freedom was held in Europe.
It genuinely breaks my heart to see a country doing such a remarkable 180 on its character, and I still can't really wrap my mind around it.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
All of which supports the notion that iMessage and FaceTim would not be missed too much in UK or Europe. As you write, about 50% already don't have them now, and those that do also use WhatsApp already, in some cases even as the dominant protocol.

those stats didn't suggest any of what you just said.
it was solely about brand.

however, lets extrapolate and say 50% do have imessage and facetime (whether they use it or not).
whether they also have whatsapp is an unknown.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
The current Conservative government in the UK is the most self-serving and corrupt in history.
Fixed it for you…

We’re laughing at you, not with you. Where did those stats come from?

80% of stats are made up. Including this one 😁
You forgot, “Sources say…” 😉

You’d prefer anarchy then?
Using FaceTime and iMessages is not advocating for anarchy. 😆

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
The EU is a superpower in creating regulations and I — kind of — understand the will to get rid of all the bureaucracy and control. That was one of the brexiteers' strong arguments. Looking at this, it did not go too well, did it?
If that was the UK's aim, it backfired spectacularly.
The EU is far from perfect, but many states within the union enjoy a relatively much better privacy for their citizens.
For example we don't have threads (yet) because it breaks pretty much every single law on data management.

75Batt

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2022
Glasgow
As a result, Apple probably won't lose sales if they dropped these two services, there will be grumbling, but not more.
50% doesn’t suport that at all. It’s literally half.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I imagine with sideloading they can see that is a change worth making, whereas removing encryption and privacy features for just the UK isn't worth it to them.

they'll have the same problem when the new battery law that is being proposed kicks in in 2027. and they didn't win with the USB-C fight either.

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
1. iOS has over 50% market share in The UK.

2. WhatsApp would be equally affected by this and is also objecting.
1. "far larger" refers to Android market share in US, not Android versus iOS.
2. The article, and the comment, is about Apple pulling iMessage and FaceTime. Not about the merits of the law. WA has not threatened to pull.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Apple has already submitted itself to China’s demands for the ability to monitor its citizens, so it seems hypocritical to fight it in the UK, the U.S. and other so-called free democracies.

The bottom line is that ALL governments, even democratic ones, tend toward authoritarianism. It’s their nature to want to control everything.

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
The EU is a superpower in creating regulations and I — kind of — understand the will to get rid of all the bureaucracy and control. That was one of the brexiteers' strong arguments. Looking at this, it did not go too well, did it?

No - it was to rid ourselves of EU overlordship and control. Nothing to ever suggest that we wouldn't increase similar or more extensive things ourselves! My main concern is that, as ever, they will use "national security" as a blanket expression to cover everything and it will be outsourced to the private sector which usually leaks like a sieve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.