Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
So a company should be more powerful than democracies.

What the UK government is trying to do is atrocious, but what you are suggesting is possibly even worse. And terrible for AAPL so will never happen.
I just find it funny that people don't understand that a government is limited in its power and when it starts barking orders without any input from whom they are ordering around, they are no longer a democracy but an oligarchic tyranny.

Just because the people are stupid enough to vote for oligarchs doesn't make it a democracy.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
so your suggesting that Apple is more powerful than world governments?
essentially apple decide what happens and if governments don't like it then tough luck?

you've seen Robocop, haven't you? OCP were essentially what you're trying to suggest.
I think the EU and UK should listen to Apple and Google and Amazon and involve them in the process by letting them coordinate and discuss rather than "Shut up and do as we say! People are dumb enough to vote in oligarchic tyranny, it must be democracy!"

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If Apple would just permit sideloading, customers wouldn’t care (and nobody would comply with the law.)

Apps would just be hosted outside the UK and you’d use something like TOR to communicate with the server, so the government would be fairly powerless to stop anyone from using whatever secure communication apps they want.

Apple would care, maybe, since the communication software wouldn’t be theirs anymore, but I think that’d be a good way to start breaking down the monopoly that is Apple.

Reactions: Lyn2012 and gusmula

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I think the EU and UK should listen to Apple and Google and Amazon and involve them in the process by letting them coordinate and discuss rather than "Shut up and do as we say! People are dumb enough to vote in oligarchic tyranny, it must be democracy!"

i'm sure that's what will eventually happen, and we don't know if offers to do such a thing haven't already happened.

but neither side come out of it looking good when one says that is what we want and the other side says no chance we'll pull out.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I just find it funny that people don't understand that a government is limited in its power and when it starts barking orders without any input from whom they are ordering around, they are no longer a democracy but an oligarchic tyranny.

Just because the people are stupid enough to vote for oligarchs doesn't make it a democracy.
I mean, by your very definition, its a democracy as they voted for the oligarchy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sflagel

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
But iCloud is used a lot, I guess, and most of its content is e2e encrypted, which means that service will have to be cut off as well.
iCloud, I assume is used a lot but I am not sure if the legislation relates to iCloud or only communication protocols.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple will cave eventually. Uk is a huge market they cannot lose.
I don't know about that. For one, not that many people in the UK use iMessage (less than 25%). Besides, the UK isn't China. If China was making the demands, Apple could cave in like they have before.

GUIYANG, China — On the outskirts of this city in a poor, mountainous province in southwestern China, men in hard hats recently put the finishing touches on a white building a quarter-mile long with few windows and a tall surrounding wall. There was little sign of its purpose, apart from the flags of Apple and China flying out front, side by side.

Inside, Apple was preparing to store the personal data of its Chinese customers on computer servers run by a state-owned Chinese firm.

Tim Cook, Apple’s chief executive, has said the data is safe. But at the data center in Guiyang, which Apple hoped would be completed by next month, and another in the Inner Mongolia region, Apple has largely ceded control to the Chinese government.

Chinese state employees physically manage the computers. Apple abandoned the encryption technology it used elsewhere after China would not allow it.

- Apple stores customer data on Chinese government servers.
- Apple now shares customer data with the Chinese government.
- Apple proactively removes apps to placate Chinese officials.
- Apple banned apps from a Communist Party critic.
- Tens of thousands of iPhone apps have disappeared in China.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Speaking as a Briton: good! I hope Apple stick to their guns on this. I’ll miss iMessage (and Signal, etc), but somebody needs to stand up to this authoritarianism.
Speaking as another Briton, I hope the Uk stick to their guns. WE need to push the government to change this not some US corporation.
We need to show Rishi that we have the power to change things or they'll walk all over us for ever.
Apple wouldn't be interested if it was someone else.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Turning off iMessage and FaceTime is literally them complying without having to do anything. If they were “brave” they would say “we ain’t changing nothing.” This is stir the pot marketing to make you think they care.

Apple is really the UK hero….turn off iMessage so the government can monitor your SMS….turn off FaceTime so you have to use easily monitored phone calls. So brave.

Lol so they should just pay millions in fines and/or risk jail time so that posters on this forum will consider them "brave?"

Reactions: cyanite and xDKP

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
what's that? being annoying, strike at a moments notice, and generally burn the place down?

Probably sitting on their hands until the last possible moment, playing both sides, quickly surrendering to fascism, and constantly interjecting that it's pronounced "kwAHson."

(Note to the MR censors—this is a joke.)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Historically Apple has shown that they’re unwilling to co-operate with unlocking phones for authorities. Can you blame the government for wanting to side-step them?
Absolutely, I blame them. Unlocking phones also compromises security for all users as experts have testified under oath. There is no such thing as a back door that only gets used by the good guys. Becoming a surveillance state to all is by far a worse crime to human freedom than the supposed good the surveillance would enable. The problem is the evil that would be empowered with that surveillance.

davidf18

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Speaks to the incompetence of the UK PM. He should hire people that understand technology and advise him appropriately. What his govt. is asking is impossible for security reasons. He should know that.

The fact that he doesn't know that or ignores appropriate advice simply demonstrates his own incompetence.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
the UK government sounds atrocious
I thankfully didn’t vote for these utter corrupt clowns but a few on here have and will still defend their choice out of embarrassment.

What a joke we’ve become.

iMessage is pretty useless in the UK and EU but FaceTime is used by everyone and would be a big loss.

just assume the tories will roll over again as usual for some brown envelopes like they will with the Microsoft Activision deal.

Last edited:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I thankfully didn’t vote for these utter corrupt clowns but a few on here have and will still defend their choice out of embarrassment.

how do you know who has voted for who? i don't think anyone has advertised what their voting preference is/was.

Reactions: Luap

davidf18

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
Absolutely, I blame them. Unlocking phones also compromises security for all users as experts have testified under oath. There is no such thing as a back door that only gets used by the good guys. Becoming a surveillance state to all is by far a worse crime to human freedom than the supposed good the surveillance would enable. The problem is the evil that would be empowered with that surveillance.
Speaks to the incompetence of the UK PM. He should hire people who understand technology and would have made that clear to him. He either didn't hire them, or he didn't understand them or chose to ignore them, which means he really couldn't understand why he was asking can't be done.

The UK needs to elect a PM that in this day and age understands the value of hiring staff that understand technology.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
any stats to back up that wild claim?
As a UK based iPhone user of many years with many friends and business acquaintances who own iPhones I can only offer my own experience, which is, nobody I know uses Facetime or iMessage.

We use WhatsApp for video chats and messaging.

I occasionally use iMessage to send a text message.

If Apple removes these features it won't make any difference.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
As an iPhone user of many years with many friends and business acquaintances who own iPhones I can only offer my own experience, which is, nobody I know uses Facetime or iMessage.

We use WhatsApp for video chats and messaging.

I occasionally use iMessage to send a text message.

If Apple removes these features it won't make any difference.

yet my experience is the opposite.

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Your choice is oligarch 1, oligarch 2, or oligarch 3. The election is fixed - oligarch 2 was pre-chosen as the victor by the oligarchy.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
any stats to back up that wild claim?
messenger.png

Reactions: SmugMaverick

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
and what's the sample group?
also, that graph makes no sense by listing percentages

i'd also query how more people can be using facetime than imessage, that makes little sense.

change the sample group to under 25s and bet discord would be higher than "8%", remove business users and "teams" would disappear off the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.