Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
I actually quit reading Gruber years ago, so I'll take your word for it on his reporting. I quit reading him once it became clear that he was nothing but an Apple mouthpiece.

Is it not fair that we have one guy who reports about the good things Apple does to counter the droves that are Forbes, Business Insider, and The Motley Fool?

Beyond that, you'll have to explain to me what an "Apple mouthpiece" is (I want one, this Meyer 5M is getting old) and how he exemplifies it.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Just because you see some people saying it looks good, means absolutely nothing. Maybe the people that think it looks bad...didn't post?

What? Am I supposed to imagine that people don't like something while blatantly ignoring what the majority of posters say?

The question is about how the design of the watch was received and it's been consensus that the Moto 360 is a really nicely designed watch. Is it perfect? No. Sure it could be dinner but so could a lot of first iteration devices (the original iPad).

andromeda107

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2014
What? Am I supposed to imagine that people don't like something while blatantly ignoring what the majority of posters say?

The question is about how the design of the watch was received and it's been consensus that the Moto 360 is a really nicely designed watch. Is it perfect? No. Sure it could be dinner but so could a lot of first iteration devices (the original iPad).

It's actually poor design in many ways. It looks terrible frankly. Look at any of the pictures of it. It's way too thick, it's screen isn't fully round and thus looks terrible, it's far too big, it's band looks bad, and even worse the way the band attaches to the device looks so bad it's embarrassing. One other thing, looking at on of the pictures it looked like a watch you'd get at the dollar store.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You gave a definition of journalism that rather is an ideal than practice. You only described what makes a good journalist, but not what makes any journalist. Most journalists won't be considered journalists under your strict rules, because you mixed up profession with professionalism. You are a journalist, when you are paid for being a journalist. Period. Nothing more.

Guber makes money with his blog and podcast. He's not just a hobby journalist like we are. Being a journalist is his main activity during the day and his main source of income. He is as real a journalist as it gets. And he is also a good journalist with high standards. That's why he is reporting so much about Apple and not about lesser companies with worse designs.

You said earlier that all bloggers are journalists. By that definition, essentially anyone who owns a keyboard is a journalist. If that is true, then I suppose that you must also consider anyone who owns a scalpel to be a surgeon, and anyone who owns a wrench to be a mechanic.

I have no opinion about Gruber's status as a journalist, and did not offer any. My only comment on him was to note that his observations about Apple's forthcoming product seemed to me more astute than what we read in MR articles. Other people were attacking Gruber, but I wasn't one of them.

kdarling

macrumors P6
For pure facts though, nothing beats Asymco.

Dediu does print a lot of facts and charts. Not sure his conclusions are that great, though, as he consistently ranks low on the scale of analysts with good track records for predictions.

Moreover, Dediu sometimes quotes Dilger as a source. That alone should raise a giant red flag as far as factual integrity goes.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
So, yes, no matter how you learn to be a journalist, or where you practice it, it is a profession.
Unless it is a hobby (an unpaid activity). And then you're still a journalist doing real journalism. Just not as a profession. Your journalism might even be of a higher quality, because you don't write for the ad-clicks. Enthusiasm for what you do is the best way to become good at it. Doing it for the money is the best way to screw it all up. As a reader, I don't care whether you can make a living with writing. I judge you only by the input you give me. If journalism to you is an activity or an profession is unimportant to me.
You said earlier that all bloggers are journalists. By that definition, essentially anyone who owns a keyboard is a journalist. If that is true, then I suppose that you must also consider anyone who owns a scalpel to be a surgeon, and anyone who owns a wrench to be a mechanic.
Exactly the same logic. As a patient I only care if you heal me, not if you can make a living with surgery. I don't want to be one of those rich patients, who get an unnecessary surgery only because it was profitable to the hospital. I'd rather be one of those poor people in the 3rd world, who get a free surgery by surgeons who only want to help. Activity or Profession, I don't care. Professionalism is what I want.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Unless it is a hobby (an unpaid activity). And then you're still a journalist doing real journalism. Just not as a profession. Your journalism might even be of a higher quality, because you don't write for the ad-clicks. Enthusiasm for what you do is the best way to become good at it. Doing it for the money is the best way to screw it all up. As a reader, I don't care whether you can make a living with writing. I judge you only by the input you give me. If journalism to you is an activity or an profession is unimportant to me.

Exactly the same logic. As a patient I only care if you heal me, not if you can make a living with surgery. I don't want to be one of those rich patients, who get an unnecessary surgery only because it was profitable to the hospital. I'd rather be one of those poor people in the 3rd world, who get a free surgery by surgeons who only want to help. Activity or Profession, I don't care. Professionalism is what I want.

Again, you arguing against terms I am not actually using. I thought I made it very clear that I am not judging anyone on the basis of whether they are paid to write or not, only on the quality of their product. The single point I was disputing was your argument that all bloggers are professional journalists. Now I am not so sure even you believe it -- and it was your argument, not mine.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
What's the point in saying its a joke?

We all know how the rumours thing works now. Iwatch is almost certain that's why samsung rushed one out and health kit is in IOS8.

Apple should just admit they are working on a wearable watch.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Bad journalists are journalists too.

Again, you arguing against terms I am not actually using. I thought I made it very clear that I am not judging anyone on the basis of whether they are paid to write or not, only on the quality of their product. The single point I was disputing was your argument that all bloggers are professional journalists. Now I am not so sure even you believe it -- and it was your argument, not mine.
Not my argument, the argument of this guy. Was if Gruber is a journalist or just a blogger. Not if he is good or bad at being a journalist, but if he is a journalist at all? He is. Publishing a blog is not different from publishing a newspaper. Anyone with a keyboard can become a journalist. Not everyone can be a good journalist, but a journalist nonetheless.

Four Types of Journalism

Type 1: good professional journalism (very few blogs, few newspapers) < Gruber is here!
Type 2: bad professional journalism (no blogs, most newspapers)
Type 3: good hobby journalism (a few blogs, some newspapers)
Type 4: bad hobby journalism (most blogs, a lot of newspapers)

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Lol there's not a chance in hell it will require the iPhone for that. How does the iPhone transfer RAM and CPU wirelessly?

It will track all of those irrespective of whether or not you have another Apple device. Apple devices stand alone, they function on their own. Yes, it will have functionality that requires an iPhone tethered, like notifications, but it absolutely will have the main function by itself , which is tracking biometrics from the biosensors on the iWatch, not the iPhone.

Transferring CPU and ram wirelessly ?? Please kdo tell how it happens wired ;) lol

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
It's actually poor design in many ways. It looks terrible frankly. Look at any of the pictures of it. It's way too thick, it's screen isn't fully round and thus looks terrible, it's far too big, it's band looks bad, and even worse the way the band attaches to the device looks so bad it's embarrassing. One other thing, looking at on of the pictures it looked like a watch you'd get at the dollar store.

Okay you basically repeated your last post. Agree to disagree.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
This is why I hope whatever Apple comes up with was designed around how they want the device to function and not the other way around. With the Moto Almost 360 you get the feeling they started with the requirement that the face had to be circular whether it functionally made sense or not.

When has Apple ever been about functionality over form? They've been more about making things as skinny as Tim Cook's jeans, functionality be darned.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
When has Apple ever been about functionality over form? They've been more about making things as skinny as Tim Cook's jeans, functionality be darned.

What Apple product doesn't function because it's thin and light? When the iPad got thicker and heavier (3rd gen) people complained about it.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Dediu does print a lot of facts and charts. Not sure his conclusions are that great, though, as he consistently ranks low on the scale of analysts with good track records for predictions.

Moreover, Dediu sometimes quotes Dilger as a source. That alone should raise a giant red flag as far as factual integrity goes.

No one is really excellent at predictions. Ming-Chi Kuo, who is often referred to as having a good track record with predictions, is an expert at throwing [stuff] at the wall to see what sticks, much like Samsung. He makes a ton of predictions, and if one of them is correct, suddenly he has a good track record.

What's the point in saying its a joke?

We all know how the rumours thing works now. Iwatch is almost certain that's why samsung rushed one out and health kit is in IOS8.

Apple should just admit they are working on a wearable watch.

Come now, that's not how Apple works. That's how Microsoft works. This being MacRumors, I'd expect you to know that.

On top of that, I'd say it's the least certain of Apple's products right now. No prototypes, no leaked parts, for all we know it's never happening. We literally have no hard facts on it.

Clearly thinner and lighter means less functionality. What's your point?

What Apple product doesn't function because it's thin and light? When the iPad got thicker and heavier (3rd gen) people complained about it.

The answer is none of them. I'd go as far as to say that all of Apple's products right now represent the exemplars in their respective markets, after all, if they aren't, then why is everyone copying them? ;)

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010

Pay attention, did I say "didn't function". One example, iMac: try sticking a DVD to install software (yes, believe it or not, there are still a number of critical pieces of software that require DVD's, can't do it without purchasing an external drive. The vid card used was a mobile vid card at the expense of desktop functionality to keep it thin.

iOS, lack of true multitasking, just look at dropboxes workaround using location change to be able to attempt to mimic auto camera upload. A direct result of battery conservation which is a direct result of making the phone skinny enough to fit in a hipsters jeans.

There is two.

----------

The answer is none of them. I'd go as far as to say that all of Apple's products right now represent the exemplars in their respective markets, after all, if they aren't, then why is everyone copying them? ;)

Really? So why did Apple add notifications, "Today", soon to be widgets, third party keyboards. Who is copying who in 2014?

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Really? So why did Apple add notifications, "Today", soon to be widgets, third party keyboards. Who is copying who in 2014

First of all, you missed the context of my statement. I suggest you find it and recognize it before reading the rest.

Second of all, notifications have been in iOS since iOS 5. If you're referring to active notifications, they look rather different on iOS than on Android and especially compared to Windows Phone 8.

A large portion of their customers have been asking for third party keyboards for a long time, it was a matter of Apple trying to make them as secure as possible.

Steve Jobs had been promising widgets as early as 2009 as well. They're just another item on the list of things that are being added to iOS carefully and tastefully.

kdarling

macrumors P6

He didn't say it stopped functioning. He implied that Apple often prefers form over function.

Heck, that's what they're famous for, and one major way that they upset markets.

For example, a main reason that no one else had sold a flat glass phone or tablet before, was because it made no sense from a ruggedness standpoint. Yet Apple proved that people would buy a nice looking form even if it was less rugged than other choices.

Likewise, a lot of people would prefer that the iPhone get a bigger battery over being thinner, but Apple is sure to choose thinner.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. It's their choice. However, it leads to a lot of third party solutions to regain the missing functionality (e.g. rugged cases, battery packs).

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
He didn't say it stopped functioning. He implied that Apple often prefers form over function.

Heck, that's what they're famous for, and one major way that they upset markets.

For example, a main reason that no one else had sold a flat glass phone or tablet before, was because it made no sense from a ruggedness standpoint. Yet Apple proved that people would buy a nice looking form even if it was less rugged than other choices.

Likewise, a lot of people would prefer that the iPhone get a bigger battery over being thinner, but Apple is sure to choose thinner.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course. It's their choice. However, it leads to a lot of third party solutions to regain the missing functionality (e.g. rugged cases, battery packs).

Except that the iPad and iPhone are insanely durable. Jobs made them put glass on the iPhone because the plastic got scratched too easily. Glass was chosen from a durability standpoint, as was aluminum. Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4vvQq7BpiE

I never have any problems with my iPhone's battery life, but Apple is putting a larger battery into the iPhone 6. The iPhone 6 will undoubtedly be thinner and have better battery life.

I'm convinced that rugged cases are pointless, I'm kind of a worst case scenario when it comes to dropping your phone (I've had a 5S since last September and I drop it nearly once a week.) and the worst that has happened are minute scratches on the back of it. Rugged cases add $100 on to the price of your new phone, and they make it look ugly after Ive has spent possibly hundreds of hours making it look gorgeous.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Not my argument, the argument of this guy.

I beg to differ, as I was responding to this remark of yours:

All bloggers are journalists. A blog is a journal published over internet. Journalism doesn't include any form of profession or qualification.

This is not true by any definition you might care to mention except the lowest possible threshold of qualification imaginable (I own the tools, therefore I must know how to use them). The definition is absurd, and so is your statement. This is the sum total of my point, to which you are welcome to respond if you like. Or we could just end the discussion if you prefer to continue to avoid acknowledging what you said.

And for the fourth time (at least), my only opinion about Gruber is the one I have already stated, which you should look back and read if you have forgotten it. I remain completely disinterested in joining a debate over whether he should be called a journalist.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Except that the iPad and iPhone are insanely durable. (snip)

Not from the traditional standpoint of ruggedized devices that corporations were buying at the time.

They were using tablets that could withstand a drop from up a pole... and survive repeatedly. Not to mention being virtually dust and waterproof.

It's taken a while for them to begin to switch to buying cheap off the shelf devices instead.

I never have any problems with my iPhone's battery life, (snip)

I'm convinced that rugged cases are pointless, (snip)

In other words, you have learned to live with the limitations of Apple's choices. People adjust.

This applies to devices from any manufacturer, of course.

jolux

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2014
Not from the traditional standpoint of ruggedized devices that corporations were buying at the time.

They were using tablets that could withstand a drop from up a pole... and survive repeatedly. Not to mention being virtually dust and waterproof.

It's taken a while for them to begin to switch to buying cheap off the shelf devices instead.

In other words, you have learned to live with the limitations of Apple's choices. People adjust.

This applies to devices from any manufacturer, of course.

Not from the standpoint of rugged devices, but those are devices that prioritize being durable and hard to break over other considerations, such as compactness, ease of use, and design.

I really don't think I've adjusted to anything. My iPhone runs through a day of responding to email, browsing the web to settle arguments, and using apps with 10-20% battery life left. I charge my phones every night, always have, and always will. If you need more battery life, there are always the battery packs.

I like how you assume that I've "learned to live with the limitations." Is it not possible that my use case is just less exhaustive than yours? Is my experience invalidated by the Samsung commercials that pretend iPhones don't have good battery life?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

And of iPhone 6 was thicker and heavier than the 5s people would complain just like they did with the 3rd gen iPad.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I like how you assume that I've "learned to live with the limitations." Is it not possible that my use case is just less exhaustive than yours?

Agreed, that's a valid possibility.

And of iPhone 6 was thicker and heavier than the 5s people would complain just like they did with the 3rd gen iPad.

*laughing* Yes, well at least some people here would, that's true.

"Normal" people, on the other hand, might be happier :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm starting to think that September 9 will be a day filled with disappointments for MacRumors readers.. :(

Of course it will be. iOS device day is always a disappointment because the forum/blog readers everywhere get themselves all worked up about what is going to happen and then 60% of it doesn't and the analysts jump up with their 'well it was going to but there was an issue so its been delayed' crap.

The only way that no one will be disappointed will be if the announcement is definitely on the 9th and Apple announces.

1. five different iPhone 6 sizes (physical not storage)
2. five different iPad sizes
3. ipads, iphones, ipod touches with 1TB of storage
4. 50% price cuts across the board
5. a 'watch' that does everything including cook your breakfast and wipe your butt for you. and costs $50
6. a TV that supports everything up to 8K, IMAX and glasses free 3d. has a perfect image and color and costs $100
7. Apple is starting their own cell phone company with unlimited everything, no throttling oh and it's only $10 a month
8. Apple is starting their own ISP. no throttling, $20 a month
9. Apple is starting their own cable company and it's free.

and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.