Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Apple's stock was upnearly $2 before the non-event, and closed down $.37 for the day.

I was waiting for the larger iPhone, but only so I could get a 5S at a discount. I already have a 4.7" HTC phone, and would like something more compact. The HTC has a killer battery for talk time, and it is robust. KitKat updates ruined the functions I enjoyed most, so when do the 5S phones go on sale for $99? :D

ibeam

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
I wonder how many people are now jobless over that horrible streaming debacle. It would skip back and forth in time from the current spot back to the intro...just horrible. One could argue if Apple can't even stream this event live to the Apple TV and web, how can we trust their products to "just work".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Apple fan....just amazed at how horrible that was. And don't tell me "they didn't know how many people would watch, so it crashed their servers". That's a load of crap. This is the biggest thing since the iPhone and Apple amped it up to be. Someone's getting fired...thankfully the MacRumors stream worked flawlessly! :D

Same here. I have fiber optic 100 meg and it just crapped out. The translation overdub was really distracting. They should have made that language selectable. I have no idea how they thought they could stream that much bandwidth. They should have used Akamai and had an audio only stream as a backup. What a miserable failure. I don't even feel like wasting the time to go back and view the recorded version. I missed about 90% of the live event.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Same here. I have fiber optic 100 meg and it just crapped out. The translation overdub was really distracting. They should have made that language selectable. I have no idea how they thought they could stream that much bandwidth. They should have used Akamai and had an audio only stream as a backup. What a miserable failure. I don't even feel like wasting the time to go back and view the recorded version. I missed about 90% of the live event.

That poor pooch got royally screwed. :eek: I don't know what to make of the fact that there was:

1. No backup plan, or a backup plan that failed, and a third backup plan that failed as well.
2. The video isn't available on the Apple TV, or on the website 6 1/2 hours after the event, so people can watch it.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
I must be on a different planet...

It's not a bet. Just an observation of what already has happened.

Really, you mean Apple's stock going up, Apple controlling the tablet market, and Apple changing the way we pay for things. What EXACTLY are you observing??

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I was saying that it would feel stupid if Cook tried to emulate Jobs like that. And it did. Especially as U2 was the "One more thing".

I agree about U2, although I'm a big fan, that just was not a great ending to the keynote.

I thought Cook pulled off the one more thing very well. Steve only did it a couple of times, so I really don't think of it as a 'Steve' thing.

----------

That may be the ugliest watch I've ever seen. Couldnt believe it when I saw it. I literally thought there must be some mix up. All the speculation of designs we've seen here on MR look way better. I'd be embarrassed to wear it.

e

It still looks better than the back of the new iPhones. I can't believe that came out of an Ive managed design group.

MacFlorida1

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Live Stream didn't work to well

The live stream on the Apple Tv didn't work to well at my end. Ran for a little while, then got caught up in displaying the same video before the keynote started. Then would stop and report errors. A few minutes later I would get parts of the keynote, then stop. Very frustrating. I would have expected streaming to an Apple Tv to at least work.

I was even getting errors from Apple's Home page that was showing the keynote. I had a bunch of errors like "You are not authorized to visit Apple.com, and things like that.

The live streaming of the event today did not go very well.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I don't remember anything approaching that number but that may just be me.

Apple's return to profitability at MacWorld Expo San Francisco 1998
iMac in colors at MacWorld San Francisco 1999
22-inch Apple Cinema Display at Seybold 1999
AirPort base station and card after iBook introduction at MacWorld Expo New York 1999
iMac DV, iMovie, and iMac DV special edition, October 1999
At MacWorld SF 2000, Aqua was introduced. Jobs announced that he would continue at Apple permanently, dropping the "i" (for "interim") from "iCEO"
Power Mac G4 Cube at MacWorld NY 2000
PowerBook G4 at MacWorld San Francisco 2001
17-inch iMac G4 at MacWorld New York 2002
Power Mac G5 at WWDC 2003
12-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4 at MacWorld 2003
iPod Mini at MacWorld 2004
iPod Shuffle at MacWorld 2005
Fifth-generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference entitled "One more thing..."
MacBook Pro at Macworld Expo 2006
Movie sales at the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing..." in the same presentation unveiled iTV (renamed Apple TV at Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing..." introduced a live performance of "Waiting for the World to Change" by John Mayer.
Safari for Windows beta at WWDC 2007
Aluminum Unibody MacBook, October 2008
Video camera and speaker in fifth-generation iPod Nano at the Apple Music Event in September 2009
FaceTime video calling for the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010
Second-generation Apple TV running on iOS at the September 2010 Apple Music Event
Revised MacBook Air at a press event, "Back to the Mac", in October 2010
iTunes Match service at WWDC 2011

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Sticking with my iPhone 5 iOS6

Only caught a few seconds of streaming before connection said not authorized.
At least "authorized" was spelled in U.S. english. I will not be recommending their new iJunk. :mad:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Apple's return to profitability at MacWorld Expo San Francisco 1998
iMac in colors at MacWorld San Francisco 1999
22-inch Apple Cinema Display at Seybold 1999
AirPort base station and card after iBook introduction at MacWorld Expo New York 1999
iMac DV, iMovie, and iMac DV special edition, October 1999
At MacWorld SF 2000, Aqua was introduced. Jobs announced that he would continue at Apple permanently, dropping the "i" (for "interim") from "iCEO"
Power Mac G4 Cube at MacWorld NY 2000
PowerBook G4 at MacWorld San Francisco 2001
17-inch iMac G4 at MacWorld New York 2002
Power Mac G5 at WWDC 2003
12-inch Aluminum PowerBook G4 at MacWorld 2003
iPod Mini at MacWorld 2004
iPod Shuffle at MacWorld 2005
Fifth-generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference entitled "One more thing..."
MacBook Pro at Macworld Expo 2006
Movie sales at the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing..." in the same presentation unveiled iTV (renamed Apple TV at Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing..." introduced a live performance of "Waiting for the World to Change" by John Mayer.
Safari for Windows beta at WWDC 2007
Aluminum Unibody MacBook, October 2008
Video camera and speaker in fifth-generation iPod Nano at the Apple Music Event in September 2009
FaceTime video calling for the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010
Second-generation Apple TV running on iOS at the September 2010 Apple Music Event
Revised MacBook Air at a press event, "Back to the Mac", in October 2010
iTunes Match service at WWDC 2011

Wow, I stand corrected.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Really, you mean Apple's stock going up, Apple controlling the tablet market, and Apple changing the way we pay for things. What EXACTLY are you observing??
A company that used to do things DIFFERENTLY is now forever gone. Apple Inc. continues to exist, as an empty shell, filled with money, where once was vision. It's just sad.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
A company that used to do things DIFFERENTLY is now forever gone. Apple Inc. continues to exist, as an empty shell, filled with money, where once was vision. It's just sad.

You quote my evidence. The evidence that shows that Apple doing things differently is continuing to put them at the forefront. And then you say they exist as an empty shell? I would say that you may be blind to the evidence. What's sad is all the nay sayers stuck in a history lesson. Things change and move forward and ALL indicators show that Apple is doing this as well. And doing well at it. Offer some evidence to support your claim if you have any...

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Only caught a few seconds of streaming before connection said not authorized.
At least "authorized" was spelled in U.S. english. I will not be recommending their new iJunk. :mad:

You're right, their streaming service had some technical difficulties. I'd say it looked like high school students were running it, but I've personally experienced high school students doing a better job. It was abysmal.

However, the reason you won't be recommending the new iPhone with iOS 8 to me is because:

You won't be able to audio text message me about the gaming improvements provided by Metal. You won't be able to call me over WiFi when you are out of range of a cell tower to discuss with me the integration of Keychain in Safari so that you do not have to remember your passwords to all the websites you use. You likely will not even have the money to continue to have phone service because you had to hand your credit card to people while I protected my payment information with ApplePay.

I guess you will still be able to tell me how crappy my new iPhone and iOS8 are by hopping on here and drawing non sequesters between iOS devices and the video production that announced their release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.