Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
Let's see what they messed up this time.
[automerge]1575823373[/automerge]
Meh.

I can build my own using parts from Newegg for half the price and it’ll be twice as fast. /s
Well, you probably can. /nos

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
Of course I'm not paying retail for these and neither is anyone who orders the new MacPro. Those who don't get a discount are the "professionals" who order it on the Apple website and don't use a certified solution expert.

So how does one not pay retail, and
What’s a certified solution expert for us lay people

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
A BMW 7 Series automobile is beyond my means, and I'd still not purchase one if I could afford it. But why in the world would I hope 7-Series sales are absolute crap?

you don't have to as you have a whole line up of models to choose from. what was my point exactly!
[automerge]1575823595[/automerge]
Sure there is. The Pro moniker indicates the highest performing model(s) in a product category, with the highest-end features. Unfortunately, best performance and most features tend to mean the highest priced as well.

re: the monitor, I’d really like Apple to offer at least a 27” 5k for maybe $1,500 with a decent TB3 hub, or maybe even a $2,000 version that adds a slot for a 250W GPU card. They could be based on the iMac and iMac Pro chassis, respectively. But maybe the market just isn’t big enough to justify it :(

thanks, i get it, but what the hell is "pro" about this years iphones? they take 3-d touch out and say that they've come up with a "pro" display! the xs wasn't "pro" same time last year? according to the presentation, it sure was. what i'm saying is - adding "pro" to a product doesn't make it better automatically.

Reactions: PC_tech and smulji

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
you don't have to as you have a whole line up of models to choose from. what was my point exactly!

I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.

MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro. In different sizes and build-to-order options. That's not a range of computers to choose from?

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
But the Mac Pro has always been for "them". Since its introduction in 2006 the Mac Pro lineup starts at $2499. Even with inflation back a decade ago thats a sub $3500 starting point....the price basically doubled.

Late 2006Early 2008Early 2009Mid 2010Mid 2012Late 2013Late 2019
Prices$2,499$2,799$2,499$2,499$2,499$2,999$5,999

You do realize that times have changed in the consumer CPU market right? We have i9s now with 8 cores. The Mac Pro is meant for those needing more than that, like 28 cores.

The max iMac in 2006 was a Core 2 Duo. The max 2006 Mac Pro was dual 4-core Xeons.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
TRANSLATION: I really, really, REALLY want one and I’m pissed that I can’t afford it! And I’m pissed that others can!

you need to stop using google translator - being able to afford something doesn't mean buying it as if you've got something to prove ;)
if i'm pissed about anything in this case is that apple hasn't created a display line up for various needs.

Reactions: PC_tech

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Late 2006Early 2008Early 2009Mid 2010Mid 2012Late 2013Late 2019
Prices$2,499$2,799$2,499$2,499$2,499$2,999$5,999

I bought the MacPro 3,1 for $3200 and I still own it, including a Cinema Display.
The EU prices will be interesting.
I might even consider buying one next year, but only under $5000

The argument about the hardware getting better is not valid in my opinion.
(Someone else said so, not you)

Hardware is getting better for every brand, not just for Apple.
So in my opinion, the hardware is still overpriced, but not as crazy as the Trashcan, when the GPU's were the only selling point.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.

MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro. In different sizes and build-to-order options. That's not a range of computers to choose from?

i was talking about the display. i've been waiting for years for apple to start making displays again, but 6k for a display(with stand - i know!) is an insult imho.

Reactions: PC_tech

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
i was talking about the display. i've been waiting for years for apple to start making displays again, but 6k for a display(with stand - i know!) is an insult imho.

Why is everything a “slap in the face” or an “insult.”

You don’t like it, fine, but it’s not “insulting” when a company offers a product you don’t want to buy.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Sure there is. The Pro moniker indicates the highest performing model(s) in a product category, with the highest-end features. Unfortunately, best performance and most features tend to mean the highest priced as well.

re: the monitor, I’d really like Apple to offer at least a 27” 5k for maybe $1,500 with a decent TB3 hub, or maybe even a $2,000 version that adds a slot for a 250W GPU card. They could be based on the iMac and iMac Pro chassis, respectively. But maybe the market just isn’t big enough to justify it :(

NOPE! Apparently people here seem to think that if Pro is in the name, it means you can work on 16 K video, Play games at 8K resolution at 60 fps in max settings, work on a song that has a million audio tracks, and perform data analytics all at the same time.

Seriously, it is getting very VERY old hearing the same thing over and over and over again on this site.

PS4 Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
AirPods Pro
iPhone Pro
Macbook Pro
Mac Pro
iMac Pro
iPad Pro

What do all of these have in common? The "pro" versions are better and more enhanced than the non-pro versions. THAT....IS.....ALL. It does not indicate it is geared towards ANY and ALL forms of professional needs. It is just not possible.

I do not know why people do not understand this. Why aren't people complaining that you cannot work on 16K videos on the Surface Pro? Oh that's right, because it is not Apple it gets a pass with the term Pro in the name. Come on people.

You can do professional work without the term Pro in a product name. Visual Studio Community can be used for professional development. Visual Studio Professional can be used for larger teams and if you earn a specific amount of revenue. But, that software cannot cover all Pros. There are some that need Visual Studio Enterprise.

People: Stop taking the term Pro in product names TOO literally. ALL it means is that it is more enhanced than the non-pro. NOTHING ELSE. PERIOD. MacBook Pro > Macbook. That is ALL the term PRO means.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
So how does one not pay retail, and
What’s a certified solution expert for us lay people
You do not pay retail by having a contract with your solution expert, which provides, as the name suggests a full solution for your business needs. So if you're in the movie industry, you buy your MacPro from them as well as all the camera gear, audio equipment and so on. By agreeing to this, they give you nice discounts, because you buy everything from them and in the end they make more money that way. How much of a discount you get is up to your negotiation skills and how much gear you buy annually. For example for the mentioned Dell system, there's a over 50% discount. While the discount for Apple is probably a little lower, 50% to 60% discount is common for professional systems from Dell (Precision), Lenovo, IBM, HP and others if you buy in the high 6-figure, low 7-figure range annually.

Reactions: sparkie7

Bkt

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2019
I think a Big factor for audio and pro tools pro’s is whether or not the Mac Pro will only support Catalina? We had to wait 9 months to get Mojave support on the Mini last year. would be great if we could downgrade to Mojave.

Reactions: morze

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
i've been waiting for years for apple to start making displays again, but 6k for a display(with stand - i know!) is an insult imho.
Hmm, so you would rather buy a display from Sony for over $30k with worse specs? Or are you just looking for any type of display from Apple and are not interested in a display that is aimed for those who master video content for TV studios or movie productions?

Reactions: NetMage

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Meh.

I can build my own using parts from Newegg for half the price and it’ll be twice as fast. /s
Then please provide a list of the parts with part numbers and prices, and provide construction directions with schematics. Maybe those parts will fit in my 2008 Mac Pro.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
You do realize that times have changed in the consumer CPU market right? We have i9s now with 8 cores. The Mac Pro is meant for those needing more than that, like 28 cores.

The max iMac in 2006 was a Core 2 Duo. The max 2006 Mac Pro was dual 4-core Xeons.

And explain why $6,000 gets you a 8 core Xeon, 8GB Radeon Pro 580X, 256 GB SSD?

Also the idea that this is meant for users who need 28 cores is completely false. The majority of orders will not be 28 core Xeons.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
This base model is overkill for web development, but I love the idea of all internal storage and future upgradability. Call me sick, but take my money! If PCs ran macOS, I’d opt for one of them, but they don’t, so I’m stuck.

Why do people still need internal storage these days? This is a genuine question, not a joke one. It is not the 1990s anymore. We are living in an external world where even an eGPU with monitors attached provides about 90% of the performance as if the GPU is internal. Standard spinning drives do not even saturate SATA-3 and USB-3. NVME Thunderbolt 3 drives get about the same performance as the internal ones.

I have about 30 TB in external drives and they all perform the same as if I just got internal spinning drives.

Reactions: NetMage

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011

Apple's not in the commodity display business anymore. Same with laser printers and WiFi routers. Simply purchase a display from a company that manufactures them - Dell, LG, NEC, HP, etc.

With respect to the Pro Display XDR, it's well-priced if you need its capabilities and are looking at high-end displays (Flanders, for example).

Detnator

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2011
What industry other than video are you thinking? 3D? No. ML/AI? No. Cad/cam? No. All for the same reason: no Nvidia CUDA cores. Other than that, no graphic designers or illustrators are going to blow $30-45k When they’ll be fine on a MBP. This is a video only machine for actual pro use.

Database server (my line of work). Perfect replacement to the Dell PowerEdge servers we currently have that cost about the same spec for spec and are a nightmare.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And explain why $6,000 gets you a 8 core Xeon, 8GB Radeon Pro 580X, 256 GB SSD?

Also the idea that this is meant for users who need 28 cores is completely false. The majority of orders will not be 28 core Xeons.

For you and me, I agree. That is why I got the 2019 i9 iMac with 2TB SSD and Vega 48 with a 5700XT eGPU setup for only $4,000. This system is not meant for you or me. To the people that will get this system, they can make up the $6,000 in one job.

zzzachi

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
Well, for 5k € I get a Threadripper system with 32 cores and a 2080 11gb cuda card, being 4 times as fast as the 8 core entry level Mac Pro.

Wonder how much the 28 core Mac Pro will cost! Intel dropped prices because of the Threadripper. We're not stupid. I certainly wont buy a 28core Mac Pro for 20k if i can get the same performance for 5k. Mac OS is great, but not that great ;)

I really really hope Apple understands, that it can't make exponential profits on higher configurations.
This will kill the new Pro. For a modular computer nobody understands why to pay 5-10k+ for a processor upgrade if you can buy the 28core yourself for 3.5k. there is absolutely no reason the 28core config should cost more than 8-9k €.

Last edited:

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Its worth pointing out, 999$ isn’t crazy for what it is. It’s just ... maybe not marketing’s finest hour over there

To this day I don't understand how they didn't see beforehand how positioning it as they did in the keynote was stupid. "It's $6K or $5.2K with a VESA mount" would have been much, much better messaging. Don't put the stand up there in a slide for the people who don't need the product anyhow to chortle over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.