Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Well, for 5k € I get a Threadripper system with 32 cores and a 2080 11gb cuda card, being 4 times as fast as the 8 core entry level Mac Pro. Wonder how much the 28 core Mac Pro will cost! Intel dropped prices because of the Threadripper. We're not stupid. I certainly wont buy a 28core Mac Pro for 20k if i can get the same performance for 5k. Mac OS is great, but not that great ;)
Today I learned that's 2002 again, and people think doubling one number makes the computer twice as fast, in a linear fashion.

Reactions: NetMage

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Why is everything a “slap in the face” or an “insult.”

You don’t like it, fine, but it’s not “insulting” when a company offers a product you don’t want to buy.

not everything. but a $6k displays the only option - is. as i said - imho. you don't have to agree with it at all)

Reactions: PC_tech

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Hmm, so you would rather buy a display from Sony for over $30k with worse specs? Or are you just looking for any type of display from Apple and are not interested in a display that is aimed for those who master video content for TV studios or movie productions?

the second option. apple's 30" displays were what, $2k, $2.5k? that wasn't cheap, but i felt that that price was much more adequate. apple is still mostly a consumer company, so creating something that is only worth something to professional video editors, or those who find it fit to spend this kind of money on a nice display, irritates me. :)
[automerge]1575827191[/automerge]
Apple's not in the commodity display business anymore. Same with laser printers and WiFi routers. Simply purchase a display from a company that manufactures them - Dell, LG, NEC, HP, etc.

With respect to the Pro Display XDR, it's well-priced if you need its capabilities and are looking at high-end displays (Flanders, for example).

thanks, i'm aware of those options. i'm a fan of apples design, hence the disappointment.

moonwalk

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
The rumor says iPad pro 2020 and mbp 2020 will feature mini led. Previous rumor indicates there will be 10,000+ LEDs in those displays, so technically pro display XDR will be out featured within a year?
Also, Asus has a 32'' with 1000+ LEDs, the light leak still exist at areas with a black background and bright icons/ taskbars. Don't think PDX can solve this problem.
You’re a sucker to buy any first gen Apple product.

Reactions: macfacts

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
and i hope that their sales are absolute crap and they realize that they've lost touch with reality when it comes to their recent mac/display pro pricing.
I get both of you points.
in one hand if sales are great, there is a great chance Apple will continue develop and update the MP/displays.
if sales are crap, then we can very well see Apple abandoning altogether, despite lowering their prices, something Apple usually don’t go for it.
So, I hope they are a success.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Who exactly would be getting the base configuration that makes "$6,000 in one job"?

You do realize that not everyone needs 28 cores, 6TB of SSD and 1.5TB of RAM right? This system DOES have better cooling than the iMac or MacBook Pro. Not everyone has such immediate deadlines and can let this system process a 4K video for 24-48 hours. The better cooling helps in the long run.

Reactions: Reed Black12

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
So how does one not pay retail...
One way for ordinary people like me is to buy through the Apple Veterans Store and get 10% off there. Otherwise, not too much of a discount anywhere. Apple introduced the Veterans Store in December 2018. You will find it at the very bottom of store.apple.com.

You can also increase that a little by putting the purchase on the Barclays Card payment plan, but it's only for new customers unless you can sweet talk their Customer Service. 18 months, no interest, but only within the first 30 days of opening the account. Timing might be critical there if there are long delivery times involved because Apple doesn't hit the card until the machine ships.

Reactions: sparkie7

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
the second option. apple's 30" displays were what, $2k, $2.5k? that wasn't cheap, but i felt that that price was much more adequate. apple is still mostly a consumer company, so creating something that is only worth something to professional video editors, or those who find it fit to spend this kind of money on a nice display, irritates me. :)

Are you saying that they should not create specialized high end products, or just that they should also try to compete in the commodity market where, for their monitors, they would be much more expensive than their competition (it would never be a high volume item for them)?

i'm a fan of apples design, hence the disappointment.

There is a big difference between feeling disappointment and feeling insulted.

Last edited:

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
You do realize that not everyone needs 28 cores, 6TB of SSD and 1.5TB of RAM right? This system DOES have better cooling than the iMac or MacBook Pro. Not everyone has such immediate deadlines and can let this system process a 4K video for 24-48 hours. The better cooling helps in the long run.

I asked a simple question. You stated "To the people that will get this system, they can make up the $6,000 in one job". I'm simply asking who is the target audience for the base configuration that makes $6,000 in a job.

mdekker

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2016
I'm not understanding the point you're trying to make.

MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, iMac Pro, and Mac Pro. In different sizes and build-to-order options. That's not a range of computers to choose from?
I can change the tires of the BMW 1 series on my own, don't need to buy a BMW 7 in order to be able to do that. Same for about anything on any BMW. Now try to change an SSD or RAM in a MacBook Air.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I asked a simple question. You stated "To the people that will get this system, they can make up the $6,000 in one job". I'm simply asking who is the target audience for the base configuration that makes $6,000 in a job.

And I answered it. Those that need an 8-core system with much better cooling than the MacBook Pro and iMac can provide.

Reed Black12

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2019
None of us here should be bothered about this news - it truly is a pro machine for audiovisual production /post-production shops and high end music studios.
Agreed. What's bothering people is that they REALLY want one, but it doesn't fit their budgets.
But not a fast one for the money
Really?! You don't think this machine will be fast? How fast are YOU looking to go? How much do you have to spend to go THAT fast? It's bizarre the complaints or issues I'm seeing here. It honestly just sounds like a bunch of upset guys who'd LOVE to have this machine but it falls outside of their price point. As mentioned in an earlier post $50 a month for 5-10 years is a DEAL! To me.
And if THAT is too much for those bothered by the price - go build a PC or get the iMac pro or whatever.

Reactions: NetMage

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
But the Mac Pro has always been for "them". Since its introduction in 2006 the Mac Pro lineup starts at $2499. Even with inflation back a decade ago thats a sub $3500 starting point....the price basically doubled.

Late 2006Early 2008Early 2009Mid 2010Mid 2012Late 2013Late 2019
Prices$2,499$2,799$2,499$2,499$2,499$2,999$5,999
Thank you for making this table. Plenty of people who used to be able to afford a base model Mac Pro now no longer can.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I can change the tires of the BMW 1 series on my own, don't need to buy a BMW 7 in order to be able to do that. Same for about anything on any BMW. Now try to change an SSD or RAM in a MacBook Air.

Then you should simply be looking at laptop manufactures that give you that option and find happiness. Apple is not for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.