Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Why support their efforts to further degrade our quality of life for their sole benefit?
So they can't call you a commie?

The fun part in what I see on this forum is that some people who are(obviously) from China are also afraid of being called commies and insist that they are commies "in the name only, not in the substance". So it looks like the people all across the board got very well trained and conditioned to want to be a "certain way".

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This will all sort itself out eventually. Over time the people in the office conversations will begin to advance and those measuring productivity by the number of tickets closed will fall behind. People will learn that if they want to gain influence they need to be in the room when the casual discussion sparks inspiration, and they need to be seen to be recognized.
I agree with parts of your premise, but not everyone has the need to gain influence or to be recognized.

I would think those in their early 20s, just starting off, until to about 40 years old would do better to advance their careers in an office environment. Once you get older, it's more beneficial for the company that you're around - to have a senior person to guide the junior people. It's far less advantageous for the worker. They will get a lot more done at home.

I'm in the second camp - I'm over 50. Going into the office slows me down. I don't want to make any new friends from the office, I'm happy with the ones I already have. I'm not going to socialize with anyone - I just want to do my work and get paid. I can do 3-4x the work at home without being distracted. If my job forgets about me, it's very easy for me to get work elsewhere. And I can spend more time with my family.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Obviously WFH “can” work, some of us have been doing it for a decade or more. And especially with the forced-investment to support it during the pandemic, I’ll bet a lot of people at a lot of companies will remain WFH even if they weren’t before the pandemic.

That said, it’s not ideal for everyone or for every job. IMO the best people to say if it works, are the workers themselves.

Reactions: martint235

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I was talking psychologically.

When your parents coerced you to do something like clean your room or do your homework, I bet you did an awesome job and went well beyond what they asked for :)
lot to unpack there, since Apple employees aren’t forced labor like exists in other countries, this is psychological not fear of beatings. You comparing professionals to acting like children might actually explain their behavior better than I could.

Reactions: I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
lot to unpack there, since Apple employees aren’t forced labor like exists in other countries, this is psychological not fear of beatings. You comparing professionals to acting like children might actually explain their behavior better than I could.

This reminds me of a friend who brought his son to eat at a restaurant one day, and now he keeps whining about want to eat only at that restaurant every day and refused to eat anything else. 🫤

• Haha
Reactions: StudioMacs

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Obviously WFH “can” work, some of us have been doing it for a decade or more. And especially with the forced-investment to support it during the pandemic, I’ll bet a lot of people at a lot of companies will remain WFH even if they weren’t before the pandemic.

That said, it’s not ideal for everyone or for every job. IMO the best people to say if it works, are the workers themselves.
The worst people to say it works are the workers who don’t have the big picture.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You can throw all the stats you want but I’m living it. Stats don’t tell the whole story.

You have it exactly backwards. What ever you are living is the literal definition of anecdotal. Statistics tell the big picture story so we don't make the mistake of drawing broad conclusions about labor policy based on one person's day at the office.

In fact, stats are often manipulated by asking highly specific questions intended to illicit specific answers.

Would an example of this be to ask "what is the lead time on faucet cartridges" to elicit an answer specifically to argue that people don't understand the value of work?

In the construction industry, many of those workers never returned.

Sure they did:

1679708630421.png

We now have more construction workers than we did before the pandemic began.

In fact they returned to work sooner and at a higher rate than workers in general:

1679708817339.png

Remember the last financial crisis fueled by cheap mortgages funding an enormous housing bubble and driving a massive construction boom to meet that demand? We have more construction workers than we did at the peak of that insanity:

1679708998701.png

The parts I’m referring to were unlikely to see a demand increase. Faucet cartridges for instance and small aircraft engines are relatively static, yet are difficult to get because of employee shortages.

Not so. I can't find a specific metric for faucet cartridges, but I'd assume marginal demand tracks new construction to a large degree, and aircraft orders are experiencing a surge as well.

1679710724697.png

So it has nothing to do with people not valuing work. We have more people working than ever before but a significant surge in demand for products. That means shortages and inflation-- which is pretty much what we're seeing.

Attachments

• 1679711512046.png
    1679711512046.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Acting like children?

You do realize that with whatever limited instruments they have(tantrums etc.) children can still overtake the initiative and influence things? I hope you are not denying professionals the ability to influence the decision making that can result in the betterment of their position.

Reactions: robco74

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Acting like children?

You do realize that with whatever limited instruments they have(tantrums etc.) children can still overtake the initiative and influence things? I hope you are not denying professionals the ability to influence the decision making that can result in the betterment of their position.
Any rational person who works an ordinary job for middle-class pay would say, “you know, I want to encourage more people like you and me to find ways to work that reduces the time we waste away from our families, commuting in traffic, spending extra money on gas and lunch outside of the house, and polluting the environment with needless burning of fossil fuel. Therefore, we should all be pushing back when companies want to reduce workers’ quality of life while the ultra-rich spend the “work day” out on the links (you know, also not working from the office); yet, continue to get wealthier off of our backs and amass more power over our lives.”

But instead, you get a bunch of people who are shouting about how unless you spend 2 hours every day in a car driving to your job where you work 90 hours/week in a sweatshop for a $10 paycheck, you’re “lazy and entitled.” God forbid, people want to reclaim a little bit of time back in exchange for giving up the majority of the best, healthiest years of their life to a soulless company and its wealthy owners whose biggest dilemma in life is deciding which yacht to take out on the lake this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Any rational person who works an ordinary job for middle-class pay would say, “you know, I want to encourage more people like you and me to find ways to work that reduces the time we waste away from our families, commuting in traffic, spending extra money on gas and lunch outside of the house, and polluting the environment with needless burning of fossil fuel. Therefore, we should all be pushing back when companies want to reduce workers’ quality of life while the ultra-rich spend the “work day” out on the links (you know, also not working from the office); yet, continue to get wealthier off of our backs and amass more power over our lives.”
Incorrect. It's not up to the employee to tell mgmt the big picture. The employee (and we are discussing Silicon Valley type tech people) can find better opportunities elsewhere. If you want to push back, that would mean getting fired. We'll wait to hear your "success" story with that tactic.
But instead, you get a bunch of people who are shouting about how unless you spend 2 hours every day in a car driving to your job where you work 90 hours/week in a sweatshop for a $10 paycheck, you’re “lazy and entitled.”
Are you discussing the hospitality business or Silicon Valley tech types? Because the last I looked Silicon Valley tech types don't make $10 hour. You are moving the goal posts because your argument is not cogent.
God forbid, people want to reclaim a little bit of time back in exchange for giving up the majority of the best, healthiest years of their life to a soulless company and its wealthy owners whose biggest dilemma in life is deciding which yacht to take out on the lake this weekend.
Sure, let 'em reclaim a little bit of time. Let 'em quit. They'll have all the time in world (limited only by death) to do what they want.

Reactions: darkus

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I can’t work from home, but I don’t get this

I mean if I had remote workers I wouldn’t want them to come in unless they had to, costs more the heat/AC/clean, plus liability if they fall or stick a fork in a outlet or something

Seems silly and for a tech company a disappointing lack of the industry, if they are getting their work done on time and to spec, why care?

This seems like the idea of a low tech mangement type “if I don’t see them working they are not working”

Reactions: martint235

robco74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2020
My stint at Apple was relatively brief, but I can say that for many groups, the whole chance meeting thing is mostly ********. Silicon Valley was having some serious quality of life issues before the pandemic, and they haven't gotten any better. SV is NYC's rents with LA's traffic, and none of the upsides. Even Apple has realized this and is expanding in Austin, NYC, Culver City, and other areas. I live less than ten miles from Apples' campuses, but some days it would take me over an hour to get home. Once I went to an event in Oakland after work - that trip took over two hours. A literal burned out husk of a house on a tiny patch of land sold for $800K in my neighborhood. Even with a six-figure salary, housing in the Bay Area is simply unaffordable - especially if you have a family. A meager mid-century that needs a lot of work will run seven figures. Forget about touching a decent condo for less than half a mil.

This is why people want remote work. They simply can't afford to live near work anymore, and don't want to spend hours every day commuting. Robert Reich put it best, people want to work, they no longer want to be exploited.

As for AP itself, it was neat walking through the campus with all the trees. But I am grateful I never had to work there. The interior colors are all the same bland beige, slate, and white, with the occasional green accent wall. The only "art" are high resolution photos of Apple products. The workstations are enclosed, but with glass so there is no privacy. Sound carries easily and conversations are often overheard, including ones that shouldn't be. Outside, the park is lovely, but actually working inside is not. Because of secrecy requirements, certain areas are closed off, making moving between sections difficult.

As an IC, I still had plenty of meetings. Problem was, the company is huge and everyone has meetings. Even if you could get a meeting room, often it wasn't large enough to accommodate everyone. I wound up using WebEx for most meetings anyway. Then of course there was the mad shuffle of people on the hour, every hour, as they rush from building to building, though TBH, it was the same **** as when I contracted at MS many years ago.

Some groups do work well in person, but not all do. Having a blanket policy for a company as large and diverse (in terms of teams, projects, requirements) as Apple is a really dumb idea. But Apple should not have kept expanding in Cupertino. Honesty, no new office space should be allowed in the Bay Area until housing catches up with demand. And housing near these campuses needs to be dense, urban housing with public transit. I can understand why the NIMBYs in Marin and San Mateo desperately want to cling to what they have, but their intransigence means that no new businesses should be allowed.

US workers need to learn from the French.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Acting like children?

Do you have any indication the majority (or even a significant percentage) of Apple employees are unhappy with Apple’s workplace culture?

Reactions: Coleman2010

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Having a healthy work/life balance does not mean locking yourself in your basement and never coming out again. The article is about people not wanting to come back in to work. At all. Fear does awful things to people. On a personal note, I remember that when I got COVID a couple of years ago, I felt SO RELIEVED. I could finally GET IT OVER WITH! Since then, I haven't looked back (spoiler...it was like influenza for me, minus the cough and stuffy nose). Putting it simply: for me, the fear of COVID was FAR worse than COVID itself. It wasn't even close. I will NEVER live in that kind of fear again.

It's time to move on.
Well until you get COVID again

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Well until you get COVID again

Meh, I might have had it, never bothered to test, didn’t feel that bad, whatever

It was also funny seeing rather portly people going through the drive through by the cafe I was going to with a full face shield on, like I’m confused you’re really health conscious but you also treat your body like a dumpster

Folks be weird

But the one good thing from covid was helping of cubical workers escape the cubical farm, I really didn’t get the pushback from companies, I’d be happy as a clam, I mean I don’t need to pay for this giant office anymore and everything still gets done?

Seems for the owners that means less red ink and more cash in the bank

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I can’t work from home, but I don’t get this

I mean if I had remote workers I wouldn’t want them to come in unless they had to, costs more the heat/AC/clean, plus liability if they fall or stick a fork in a outlet or something

Seems silly and for a tech company a disappointing lack of the industry, if they are getting their work done on time and to spec, why care?
How do we here at MR know said employees are as productive as apple wants us to be and getting “our” work done to spec?
This seems like the idea of a low tech mangement type “if I don’t see them working they are not working”
I think that’s not a Birds Eye view at senior mgmt level.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

But instead, you get a bunch of people who are shouting about how unless you spend 2 hours every day in a car driving to your job where you work 90 hours/week in a sweatshop for a $10 paycheck, you’re “lazy and entitled.” God forbid, people want to reclaim a little bit of time back in exchange for giving up the majority of the best, healthiest years of their life to a soulless company and its wealthy owners whose biggest dilemma in life is deciding which yacht to take out on the lake this weekend.

You focus on the commute and are ignoring the actual job productivity (as measured by innovation and quality)?

Another way of looking at this discussion is this: you are reading posts from a lot of people with experience, life experience (or as you would call them, boomers) who might know what success looks like. Sitting at home working isolated from all other people is not that. You can blow them off all you want, but then you have to accept that most of your paycheck goes to rent and food, due to real estate inflation and price inflation that comes with your new lifestyle.

What comes across from the WFH crowd is they want an improved quality of life that comes with working less stressfully, but at the same time think they can keep their overall quality of life living in their community that has so far existed with an abundance of everything. You can't have one without the other. If you want high QOL you have to work for it or bring a level of talent that can't be easily reproduced.

SOMEBODY has to work hard to give us this quality of life. The WFH crowd is basically saying it should be someone else, while they get to enjoy the best of both worlds. You are hearing people telling you that's not possible, because it is just not sustainable. WFHers believe they can be just as "productive" by some metric. But by not contributing to the bigger team/community/neighborhood they are simply a leech, because they are only helping themselves, not others via the soft effects of their work. A small taste of real world examples are having to pay for parking, which employs a parking manager, paying for your soy oat latte which employs someone who has to make it just right for you, etc, etc etc... Maybe while at work you realize you left your glasses at the coffee shop and race back to get them before they are lost. While racing there you peel away 1mm of extra concrete from the roads, so there's another job for someone to repair that road. The list is endless.

Look at the absolute mess WFH and leeching off the economy has done to the real estate market, commodity market and even more tangibly the car market.

Making predictions is always impossible and almost always wrong. But it does seem the WFH are entrenched at this point and standoffs like this would continue. In that scenario, I would expect QOL in America to significantly drop over the next 5 years (with the requisite of blame XXXX political party who in power) as quality and innovation continue to drop. Some of those pieces will continue to move offshore to never return. The other scenario I am hoping for is WFH gets cut to a small % and people resume back to working in teams for a greater good. And don't forget, when people tell you that you are working for some fat billionaire, its wrong, you are actually working for your community, every $ you bring in diffuses all around the country. There will always be billionaires, but that's not where the majority of your work actually goes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pirate! and robco74

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
How do we here at MR know said employees are as productive as apple wants us to be and getting “our” work done to spec?

I think that’s not a Birds Eye view at senior mgmt level.

We’ll if they didn’t get the work done fire them on a zoom call with everyone on it as you address the issue, problem solved and staying solved

I’d also wager the person who doesn’t do their work at home probably wasn’t getting much done at the office ether 🤷‍♂️

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
You focus on the commute and are ignoring the actual job productivity (as measured by innovation and quality)?

Another way of looking at this discussion is this: you are reading posts from a lot of people with experience, life experience (or as you would call them, boomers) who might know what success looks like. Sitting at home working isolated from all other people is not that. You can blow them off all you want, but then you have to accept that most of your paycheck goes to rent and food, due to real estate inflation and price inflation that comes with your new lifestyle.

What comes across from the WFH crowd is they want an improved quality of life that comes with working less stressfully, but at the same time think they can keep their overall quality of life living in their community that has so far existed with an abundance of everything. You can't have one without the other. If you want high QOL you have to work for it or bring a level of talent that can't be easily reproduced.

SOMEBODY has to work hard to give us this quality of life. The WFH crowd is basically saying it should be someone else, while they get to enjoy the best of both worlds. You are hearing people telling you that's not possible, because it is just not sustainable. WFHers believe they can be just as "productive" by some metric. But by not contributing to the bigger team/community/neighborhood they are simply a leech, because they are only helping themselves, not others via the soft effects of their work. A small taste of real world examples are having to pay for parking, which employs a parking manager, paying for your soy oat latte which employs someone who has to make it just right for you, etc, etc etc... Maybe while at work you realize you left your glasses at the coffee shop and race back to get them before they are lost. While racing there you peel away 1mm of extra concrete from the roads, so there's another job for someone to repair that road. The list is endless.

Look at the absolute mess WFH and leeching off the economy has done to the real estate market, commodity market and even more tangibly the car market.

Making predictions is always impossible and almost always wrong. But it does seem the WFH are entrenched at this point and standoffs like this would continue. In that scenario, I would expect QOL in America to significantly drop over the next 5 years (with the requisite of blame XXXX political party who in power) as quality and innovation continue to drop. Some of those pieces will continue to move offshore to never return. The other scenario I am hoping for is WFH gets cut to a small % and people resume back to working in teams for a greater good. And don't forget, when people tell you that you are working for some fat billionaire, its wrong, you are actually working for your community, every $ you bring in diffuses all around the country. There will always be billionaires, but that's not where the majority of your work actually goes.
WFH doesn't equate to lack of productivity. Some folks work even harder because it can be hard to step away from your computer and not answer that call/Team's chat. In fact, productivity is probably higher than working in the office because you don't have the folks huddled around your office/cubicle gossiping.

Inflation is caused by greed plain and simple. Prices are raised because people are willing to pay for it as they don't really have a choice when rich owners collaborate on pricing. I talked to an owner of a plumbing company who basically told me they had to raise prices to keep up with other plumbers. It sounded dumb to me because if they stayed low, they'd attract more business one would think.

Greed, ego, stupidity, and the battle over ideology are ruining the country and the world. Meanwhile, they will continue to tear down trees, plants and grass to build another mall to generate money. One has to wonder how much plant life is needed to generate enough oxygen for this planet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pirate!

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Oh no you mean they are tracking their employees to make sure they’re at work when they’re paying them? How rude of Apple!

Speaking of that I need to have a talk with my boss because he’s a jerk like that too. He insists I actually show up to work and clock in like he’s my father or something. I mean look dude just pay me money and don’t worry about what I’m doing. That’s my business not his!

Just in case it didn’t come across clearly enough this is sarcasm 😂
A lot of jobs these days involve working on a computer all day and can effectively be done from anywhere. There are better ways to measure performance than butts in chairs.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Look, WFH doesn't apply and doesn't work in all cases. But can we please stop saying you are lazy if you WFH? I have been WFH off and on for over a decade. I am far more productive WFH - I have stats that prove it. It works for me. I live alone, no pets, no family, no kids, have a dedicated office with no TV.....literally no distractions while I work. It doesn't work for you? Great! Flexibility is great! Open office plans are a major distraction. You will get three people who are cube-mates talking about movies for TWO HOURS...on top of their one hour lunch break. It's distracting to me trying to work, and they obviously aren't working for THREE HOURS. Just because you go to the office doesn't mean it's any better. They would see the boss start to walk buy and change the topic or go back to work, then come back after the boss leaves to keep the discussion going.

People are making severe over the top arguments on both sides. Office work is not the almighty perfect place where productivity shines in ALL CASES. Neither does work from home.

And some examples are provided like people still being able to work with sick kids and people think that's bad? Are they getting their job done? That is all that matters. We need to stop with the work ONLY CAN BE DONE between 8-5 mindset. Like I mentioned before, I know people that even have a split schedule. Work from 6 AM to 2 PM, then work again at 7 PM until 10 PM. That is even more than a typical work day. I know people that do their laundry or take short breaks. But those people work until 6 or even 7.

I average about a 10 hour working day when I WFH because those two hours I would be in the car I just keep on working. I don't get paid for extra hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.