Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacOSXRumors and Appleinsider reports that Apple has filed for a trademark for the word "Vingle".

Telecommunication services, namely, electronic transmission of streamed and downloadable audio and video files via computer and other communications networks; providing on-line chat rooms, bulletin boards and community forums for the transmission of messages among computer users concerning entertainment, music, concerts, videos, radio, television, film, news, sports, games and cultural events; web casting services; delivery of messages by electronic transmission; provision of connectivity services and access to electronic communications networks, for transmission or reception of audio, video or multimedia content

MacOSXRumors speculates that the term simply refers to a Video Single.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
I think they should start calling iTMS the iTunes "Media" Store :) dunno about vingle, sounds funny. dummdiddlyokeley funny

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
Ummm... yeah.

Maybe this is set to join the ranks of Moof.

Or maybe its an online music community. Whatever it is, It seems like its name will grow on me, but I certainly don't like it now. It has a huge range, so its hard to tell what it could be. But it could very will mean Video Single.

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
im_to_hyper said:
Yeah, baby. Vingle my wingle... fo jingle! ;)

Now, only $1.99

LOL, that was especially funny fo me as I've just been teaching someone how to understand when people are "tizalking in a shizzle stzyle". ;)

But seriously Vingle reminds me of Jingle and jingles are commonly used as Radio Identities and Radio Adverts.

Could this be the beginnings of Adverts in iTMS video content?

One could have the option to download the Vingle frree version for $1.99, or put up with Vingles and get them for say $0.99. I'm sure they can tweak iTunes, Quicktime and The iPod to prevent us fast forwarding through the Vingles.

But then again, I could be wrong. In fact I am often wrong. Somtimes very wrong!!

kineticpast

macrumors member
May 13, 2005
Isn't it obvious what this is? Now that Apple is selling videos they now want to get into the lucrative video snacks market.

vingles.jpg

nure11

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Single is to song as Vingle is to video?

What if it is not jingle but single they are playing off of? Maybe a free Vingle download of the week? (ie: just a free music video download of the week) I don't know, but its a thought.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mkrishnan said:
Just when you thought Apple trademark names had hit a low with Bonjour. :eek: :eek:

I think they did hit a low with Bonjour, Vingle isn't nearly as bad :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Chaszmyr said:
I think they did hit a low with Bonjour, Vingle isn't nearly as bad :p

Mmmm...say Bonjour to Vingle!

Hmmm...just as long as Vingle isn't Tingle from Zelda flying onto your screen with a hot air balloon and trying to help you with stuff. Then I might have to take my own life.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
im_to_hyper said:
Yeah, baby. Vingle my wingle... fo jingle! ;)
white people's street credit (or whatever counts as that) was just set back 1,000,000 years by that statement. I hope you are happy :mad: :p :)

FAKE EDIT: i just assumed you were white by that statement, if you are not im terribly sorry ;)

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mkrishnan said:
Mmmm...say Bonjour to Vingle!

If Apple released a commercial with that phrase in it, I might have to sell my Mac.

Or maybe not. But I would definitely have to sell my Mac if they said "Say Vingle to Bonjour!" :p

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
rockthecasbah said:
white people's street credit (or whatever counts as that) was just set back 1,000,000 years by that statement. I hope you are happy :mad: :p :)

FAKE EDIT: i just assumed you were white by that statement, if you are not im terribly sorry ;)

Yeah, good guess. Just trying out my Central Wisconsin street talk. Totally nonexistant. Never using that again. Fo shizzle.

thehypercube

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2004
fl
Surprised nobody else considered they rhyme to "Mingle". New iMac with iSight built in. Video + chat room + sending sounds etc to each other = Video + Mingle = Vingle.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
mkrishnan said:
I think I would feel so dirty if I bought a vingle. :(

Just when you thought Apple trademark names had hit a low with Bonjour. :eek: :eek:
This must be a slot from "Whose line is it anyway" ;)
This forum is like a comedy post on this fine Friday afternoon, he said as he Vingled his dongle .... :eek: (trying to keep a straight face in my serious day job :rolleyes: :cool: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.