Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
You know what, I also really hated "nano" at first, but it has REALLY grown on me. Its one of those terms thats a minor annoyance but really sticks in your head. But I still think I hate Vingle.

schatten

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH, USA
Sounds familiar...

Maybe Apple trademarked the name just to keep anyone from ever using it, because it's so incredibly lame.

Go Apple; takin' one for the team!

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
mkrishnan said:
I think I would feel so dirty if I bought a vingle. :(

Just when you thought Apple trademark names had hit a low with Bonjour. :eek: :eek:

My vingle is verklempt, but let us shmooze. Some say Jobs is meshuginnah, maybe a kvetch, but I find him emmesah.
Time for a nosh and a nice new suit.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
greenmonsterman said:
Vingle = Vibrate + Tingle
Features of the new iPod.

Jeff Goldblum voice:
"Introducing the first iPod you can make love to. Get ready to vingle"

The on stage demo would scar us all for life.

Nah, Vagina and Tingle... Vingle. As in "Hey babe, time for a vingle."

oreali

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
From Thesaurus

Hi,
I'm Italian and my English is too poor to understand "words jokes". But...I've used the Thesaurus widget for the word "ingle": "a domestic fire or fireplace".

So, "Vingle" could be "Video+Ingle": a sort of multimedia center in the room/house, where people meet. A modern fireplace.

Could it be right?! :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
oreali said:
Hi,
I'm Italian and my English is too poor to understand "words jokes". But...I've used the Thesaurus widget for the word "ingle": "a domestic fire or fireplace".

So, "Vingle" could be "Video+Ingle": a sort of multimedia center in the room/house, where people meet. A modern fireplace.

Could it be right?! :)

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. The multimedia idea would certainly be very welcomed. Bringing the Mac as TV closer together.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
oreali said:

Wow...very nice find! I guess I've heard of names and words that include "ingle" used in that context (like places called "Inglewood"), but I didn't know that it meant that.

I personally think it is going to replace the kernel panic:

"I can't believe my computer vingled again! :mad: If they don't fix this vingling in 10.5.3, I am really going to be pissed off!"

:D

Of course, to remain multicultural, the message "Your computer has vingled. Please restart and pray that it does not happen again" will be translated, with a transliteration of "vingle" appearing in Hangul and Katakana. :)

mainemike

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2003
Bangor, Maine
Got Vingle?

"Apple has filed for a trademark for the word 'Vingle'."

And in a related development, actor Ving Rhames is suing Apple over concerns he will not see any royalties.

Attachments

• ving.jpg
    ving.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 288

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Possibly the funniest thing about this rumor is that it has twice as many positive ratings as negative.

You wouldn't see Mac users THAT happy about a PowerBook G5 :D

I think Vingle must somehow be very effective on a subconscious level. We only THINK we hate it...

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
mainemike said:
"Apple has filed for a trademark for the word 'Vingle'."

And in a related development, actor Ving Rhames is suing Apple over concerns he will not see any royalties.
Oh great, just as we start to move away from Apple Computer vs Apple Corps, now we get another lawsuit. :D

Lertie32

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
CA
Vingle Vamps

"I vant to vatch you vingle..." smiles Dracula...
:eek:

OMG... these threads need to have a warning label on them - "Not Suitable for Reading at Work"
:D

While eating lunch at my desk this was great fun - except for when I had to decide between spewing my Chinese takeout all over the monitor or choking. Luckily nobody walked by though...
:eek:

I dunno ya'll... I think I'm forever tainted by that Jeff Goldblum scenario posted earlier - no matter how good Apple's marketing campaign would be.

I wonder how Steve looks in his black mock turtleneck plus a black cape...
Nahhh... even Steve knows better than this...

I hope!
:rolleyes:

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
vingle 'eh? sounds dirty to me... ;)

I think Apple has a good load of fun with this sort of stuff. They trademark a name...then they browse forums to see what people come up with to go with the name. It's a great plan, saves money on R&D too. lol

ki-goi

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2004
i have a sort of a thought. "vingle" would be a very good name for a mobile telecom service that concentrated on video phones. the new imacs would support that very nicely, with bluetooth buddy list sync between desktop and phone, and "at home" call capability in the computer. this would be very consistent with apple's "whole system" attitude.

Daveydje

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
Vingle - Video Single? (just noticed someones said this already) :D

or

(according the urban dictionary)
Virtual + Mingle = Vingle. Online mingling, whether it be via IM, audio or video chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.