Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple violated United States labor laws when it sent out an email warning employees about leaking confidential information about the company, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) said today in a ruling shared by Bloomberg.

tim-cook-data-privacy-day.jpg

Rules that Apple has established around leaks "tend to interfere with, restrain or coerce employees" from the exercise of their rights under the National Labor Relations Act, says the NLRB, as do statements from "high-level executives."

The NLRB's decision references an employee email that was sent out by Apple CEO Tim Cook in November 2021. Cook said that people who leak confidential information about Apple "do not belong" at the company, whether they were discussing "product IP or the details of a confidential meeting." At the time, he threatened that Apple was doing "everything in [its] power to identify those who leaked." From Cook's email:
I'm writing today because I've heard from so many of you were incredibly frustrated to see the contents of the meeting leak to reporters. This comes after a product launch in which most of the details of our announcements were also leaked to the press.

I want you to know that I share your frustration. These opportunities to connect as a team are really important. But they only work if we can trust that the content will stay within Apple. I want to reassure you that we are doing everything in our power to identify those who leaked. As you know, we do not tolerate disclosures of confidential information, whether it's product IP or the details of a confidential meeting. We know that the leakers constitute a small number of people. We also know that people who leak confidential information do not belong here.
Cook's email wasn't referencing a product leak, but was instead aimed at employees who had shared details about a meeting focused on pay equity, working from home, COVID vaccinations, and more.

According to the NLRB, Cook violated worker rights with his statements, and as a result, Apple will need to settle with the NLRB to avoid a complaint. The NLRB is not able to act on its own to punish companies for violations, but NLRB complaints are reviewed by administrative law judges and can head to federal court where policy changes can be enacted.

Last year, the NLRB also said that Apple violated federal law by holding mandatory anti-union meetings and interrogating and coercing employees at its Atlanta and New York store locations.

Article Link: Apple Violated U.S. Labor Laws With Anti-Leak Email

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple violated United States labor laws when it sent out an email warning employees about leaking confidential information about the company, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) said today in a ruling shared by Bloomberg.
Misleading
The National Labor Relations Board is an independent federal agency that protects the rights of private sector employees to join together, with or without a union, to improve their wages and working conditions.
There are always certain confidential information if your work for a technology company in the states that an employee is restricted from discussing. Something you agreed to when you are an employee.

Last edited:

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
What a strange ruling 😳 has the world gone completely mad? 😡
I think looking for other sources on this news item will yield a more complete picture.

Best to look at the press releases of each party then look at the news/blog articles on it to flesh things out.

What errant detail that is too unique or too dubious may be just that... fake news to push share prices down on a sell panic.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Weird decision, the email seems fine as it is. Employees have an obligation of confidentiality in many companies, Apple is certainly not the exception. Probably that most high level Apple employees sign a NDA anyway. Now, that doesn't mean that Apple can do anything it wants to enforce this agreement, but I find it surprising that this email is considered a violation of US labor laws.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
It's time for Mr. Tim Cook has got to go. Time to retire, please. No, I don't hate Tim Cook. I love and admire him but I want change! Why is Apple even facing this?
Because the cost of the penalty will be negotiated down to be much less than the savings achieved by chilling employees from talking about salary discussions.

Penalty should be based on making it significantly bigger than the chilled savings.

In this way both apple and industry will be deterred from doing such things.

Ps I think employees who leak product relevant info should be prosecuted.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Weird decision, the email seems fine as it is. Employees have an obligation of confidentiality in many companies, Apple is certainly not the exception. Probably that most high level Apple employees sign a NDA anyway. Now, that doesn't mean that Apple can do anything it wants to enforce this agreement, but I find it surprising that this email is considered a violation of US labor laws.
Without a NDA no obligation.

Reactions: Scotticus

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Did I miss what right was violated exactly?
reference
Cook's email wasn't referencing a product leak, but was instead aimed at employees who had shared details about a meeting focused on pay equity, working from home, COVID vaccinations, and more.
Kinda vague, but I would think pay equality would be HR confidential. Generally people in tech companies don't discuss what everyone makes. In the retail side of it, it might be mentioned more.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
A company that can discuss its plans transparently with its employees is a much better place to work at than one that doesn't trust its employees.

Any regulation or government interference that legitimizes leaking company internal discussions just forces companies to become increasingly opaque with employees. This will only hurt the competitiveness of USA-based companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.