Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
So the NLRB is in the business of blackmail — pay us off, and then we will not file the complaint. If the information being shared was confidential, it is perfectly reasonable to not want it leaked. The people who leaked the details should be weeded out and fired.

Last edited:

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Wrong. When you sign your contract with the employer they do have those clauses in the contract, here in the US and if memory serves in the EU as well
Not everything that is written in a contract is valid in court. It’s different if you leak materials, documents or photos, etc. but you can’t shut up workers without a NDA.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
reference

Kinda vague, but I would think pay equality would be HR confidential. Generally people in tech companies don't discuss what everyone makes. In the retail side of it, it might be mentioned more.
Do you mean Apple violated rights by discussing pay at the meeting? According to the article, the meeting wasn’t the violation—it was the email warning employees about leaking information (from the meeting and other company information). Or do you mean employees had a right to share information regarding pay equity at Apple with outsiders?

“Apple violated United States labor laws when it sent out an email warning employees about leaking confidential information about the company,”

Reactions: diandi

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Not everything that is written in a contract is valid in court. It’s different if you leak materials, documents or photos, etc. but you can’t shut up workers without a NDA.
Well, in the state of California employment is “at will” and can be terminated by either side without notice/reason… but, I am not a lawyer and from your previous posts I’ve gathered you’re not a lawyer either, I could be wrong about that but I also know that the law in the US is different from the law in the EU, say Germany, esp when it comes to the rights of employees…

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
This is absolutely asinine. A CEO notes that if employees break company policy and disclosure laws said company will do everything to ensure appropriate repercussions. This is simple: “Dear Employees: Please don’t engage in illegal corporate espionage or break company policy and you’ll have nothing to worry about.”

What’s next? Tellers suing the bank for being fired after stealing from the cash drawer?

The NLRB needs to be reined in.

Last edited:

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
It's time for Mr. Tim Cook has got to go. Time to retire, please. No, I don't hate Tim Cook. I love and admire him but I want change! Why is Apple even facing this?
No offense. But, are you serious? That is why you want him to go? Every company I have worked for has rules about not sharing info from internal meetings. You seriously have to be living under a rock to have not heard this any large company.

What you like? The companies internal information posted on Twitter?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I don't think it's about the rules themselves, but rather how the message was delivered. Go back and parse the OP again for tone. Any hint of coercion has no place in the workplace.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
I must have missed where he violated anything in this email. The email seems fine. And, not sure why MacRumors is aging this is not related to product leak. Did MacRumors not post that part that violates labor laws?

Reactions: Vlad Soare

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I see. But, wow. That is really reaching.

I guess Elon Musk is toast. He is 100 times worse in his emails.

Who's to say he's not next? ;-) Right now it's about apple.

From the OP:
Rules that Apple has established around leaks "tend to interfere with, restrain or coerce employees" from the exercise of their rights under the National Labor Relations Act, says the NLRB, as do statements from "high-level executives."

The NLRB has a fixation on apple perhaps because of the anti-union and coercion stuff from last year. Also referenced in the article: Last year, the NLRB also said that Apple violated federal law by holding mandatory anti-union meetings and interrogating and coercing employees at its Atlanta and New York store locations.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like things were a lot simpler for Apple when Steve Jobs was alive. It seems like the corporate culture has really gone downhill in the last recent years.

I think Apple should be held accountable. Whoever the leaker was needs to release Apple AR/VR headset now :p

The same Steve Jobs who was so anti-worker that he conspired with several other large silicon valley tech companies to ensure that no one hired employees from each other to keep worker salaries artificially low?

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I feel like things were a lot simpler for Apple when Steve Jobs was alive. It seems like the corporate culture has really gone downhill in the last recent years.

When Jobs was there, there was an expected culture of hard work. In Silicon Valley these days, it's more about the perks and not having to work too hard. The fluffy benefits built a sense of entitlement that plagues these companies now, and makes some of these snowflakes nearly unemployable. I am happy to have escaped Silicon Valley, and I won't forget soon the bizarre world that was...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.