Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
When Jobs was there, there was an expected culture of hard work. In Silicon Valley these days, it's more about the perks and not having to work too hard. The fluffy benefits built a sense of entitlement that plagues these companies now, and makes some of these snowflakes nearly unemployable. I am happy to have escaped Silicon Valley, and I won't forget soon the bizarre world that was...
Another way to say that is that workers were more easily exploited back in the day, and now that Apple is a larger, more public-facing company it's harder for them to obscure that exploitation.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
The same Steve Jobs who was so anti-worker that he conspired with several other large silicon valley tech companies to ensure that no one hired employees from each other to keep worker salaries artificially low?
Back then trade secrets was more of a concern when people left companies and went to another.

Thats why there is always more strict rules to follow now when switching companies with similar technologies. This spat between the two companies finally ended in Feb 1997. Obviously completely different work environments between retail and corporate locations. Note the first two apple stores appeared mid 2001.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
There's probably $50 billion in shorts trying to drive the stock down to cover their positions and not eat their shorts.
Mac rumors does not just cater to end users and app devs but to investors as well.

Which is a good & bad thing. Good because end users & app devs will get a soft lesson on how businesses and supply chain works.

Bad because this is a rumor site and a lot of what is being published is just that... rumors.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
A company that can discuss its plans transparently with its employees is a much better place to work at than one that doesn't trust its employees.

Any regulation or government interference that legitimizes leaking company internal discussions just forces companies to become increasingly opaque with employees. This will only hurt the competitiveness of USA-based companies.

Settle how? Financially? Does anyone know?

So the NLRB is in the business of blackmail — pay us off, and then we will not file the complaint. If the information being shared was confidential, it is perfectly reasonable to not want it leaked. The people who leaked the details should be weeded out and fired.
Exactly, this stuck out like a doubly-sore thumb… in essence it is the employees the ones affected by this, let’s not debate it and assume that it’s correct and legit for this purpose, yet some third party something is the one that has to be settled with? The what? They distribute compensation to said employees riiight?

If all those helping endeavors, actions, programs and charities are any metric… you can expect less than half of a dollar (sometimes as low as 15cents) for every dollar you put for a cause to reach the person in need in question (I mean… the corruption, middlemen, spokespersons, etc that haven’t had a real job in their life need to eat too!)

When everybody is cheering for yet another fine, settlement, etc here in the US or elsewhere “because THAT will teach them! THE LITTLE guy wins again!” I’m not fooled, I smell blackmails and cash grabs, the little guy still gets peanuts.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I feel like things were a lot simpler for Apple when Steve Jobs was alive. It seems like the corporate culture has really gone downhill in the last recent years.

I think Apple should be held accountable. Whoever the leaker was needs to release Apple AR/VR headset now :p

That’s not really true.

When Steve was alive he had a secret agreement with other Silicon Valley competitors not to offer jobs to their employees unless they agreed.

This was illegal collusion to suppress wages, and individual mobility, in order to keep wage expenses low and to retain talent, and as a result of the related lawsuit Apple and its coconspirators had to pay a bunch of money to the harmed employees.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Pretty much every employer has a confidentiality clause in their contract, so no need to get overly dramatic
No one's getting dramatic, mate, just making a point. Confidentiality clauses don't always follow what's written in law or may become outdated when laws change. It's not like we've never seen businesses overreach on trying to silence employees before.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
A company that can discuss its plans transparently with its employees is a much better place to work at than one that doesn't trust its employees.

Any regulation or government interference that legitimizes leaking company internal discussions just forces companies to become increasingly opaque with employees. This will only hurt the competitiveness of USA-based companies.

Don’t agree with that because it’s unlikely that overseas companies will compensate higher or lower because of that. They will have their own local wages to deal with.

In fact if foreign employees paid at lower rates become aware of what US workers earn, there may be some upward pressure on local wages.

Foreign companies can already estimate Apples cost basis based on publicly available data so this info won’t really do what you think it does.

But by keeping it secret as much as possible it helps to put downward pressure on wages within Apple. (This is a pretty common thing -management trying to keep compensation as opaque as they can- that comes up when workers are considering forming a union.)

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Weird decision, the email seems fine as it is. Employees have an obligation of confidentiality in many companies, Apple is certainly not the exception. Probably that most high level Apple employees sign a NDA anyway. Now, that doesn't mean that Apple can do anything it wants to enforce this agreement, but I find it surprising that this email is considered a violation of US labor laws.
Agree. Unless there’s some subtext I’m missing or more to the email that wasn’t printed, the email is clearly about product leaks which are all covered under NDAs for all employees. I don’t see anything relating to unions and labor law violations.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
We really need to get rid of the NLRB. Unions do nothing but harm customers and investors.
Not really. Unions are a fraction of their former power so no one is being harmed except workers. Have you seen the minimum wage? It’s so low because corporations and their lobbyists control that number, not the federal government and certainly not unions or workers.

Reactions: PauloSera
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.