Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
This is nothing but a shakedown by the NLRB looking for a payout. They have said as much stating they are looking for a settlement to avoid escalating the matter.
The only ones who will benefit from any of this are the lawyers.

Reactions: lovehateapple

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Their own salary information? No, they cannot.

“Under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA or the Act), employees have the right to communicate with other employees at their workplace about their wages. Wages are a vital term and condition of employment, and discussions of wages are often preliminary to organizing or other actions for mutual aid or protection.”
No “salary information.” You made the use case “their salary information”, but I said “salary information”, which means others salary information.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
No “salary information.” You made the use case “their salary information”, but I said “salary information”, which means others salary information.
Actually “salary information” is quite unspecific. In any case, I’m unaware of an Apple employee having leaked the salary information of others. Are you? If not, then your point is moot, employees are allowed to discuss their wages, regardless of what Apple or Cook says.

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and Wildkraut

macsimcon

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Where are the fines to curb this behavior? Apple makes over a billion dollars in profit EVERY DAY. Fine them three months' profit. The next time, six months. The time after that, one year. Eventually, penny-pinching Scrooge Cook will get the message.

Absent that, Timmy will never stop taking advantage of employees or customers to save a single penny. What a wretched human being.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Why? This is just another organization that twists "rights" in a self-serving life mission. It's sad and pathetic how some groups of people perceive things. No rights were violated. No laws were broken with that email. They are manufacturing "evidence" to make a case.
Sounds like your comment is more about the validity of the rules. Apple should know about any rules or laws applicable to them regardless of how they feel about them.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple is mainly preserving of fundamental rights and looks to be on the right side of history around the same time as centrists. I think Apple usually approaches in a less partisan way to consider it left-wing. Particularly since Apple is slow to back issues and avoids more divisive areas. The left is often early to be on the right side of history, but not necessarily getting all the details right despite their conviction. In fact, sometimes to an extent they set their cause back. The right usually gets on the right side of history eventually after at least a decade or two and by then the details are figured out. Apple is somewhere in the middle where most of the details are figured out, so time to start setting them in stone.

Being a California company, their employees are more likely to support Democrats. Although I feel California has been swinging more independent after so many failed policies. Apple has been spending more lobbying democrats lately, but mainly because they are the larger threat to App Store regulation.
My point was that during a GOP administration, they are more likely to get tax and regulatory relief, much less likely to be targeted for anti-trust violations, etc.

I think >90% of individual donations from Apple employees went to Democrats in both the 2020 and 2022 election cycles.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
My point was that during a GOP administration, they are more likely to get tax and regulatory relief, much less likely to be targeted for anti-trust violations, etc.

I think >90% of individual donations from Apple employees went to Democrats in both the 2020 and 2022 election cycles.
Yeah I’m sure Apple loves the GOP when it comes to laissez-faire policy.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Don't stop them from discussing anything. Just don't move on pay. That's what they agreed to, they can take it or leave it. Easy enough.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Actually “salary information” is quite unspecific. In any case, I’m unaware of an Apple employee having leaked the salary information of others. Are you? If not, then your point is moot, employees are allowed to discuss their wages, regardless of what Apple or Cook says.
Great we agree. “Salary information” that is not yours is business confidential; regardless of whether or not it’s been leaked in the past.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Apple violated United States labor laws when it sent out an email warning employees about leaking confidential information about the company, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) said today
Don't do that, Tim.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Great we agree. “Salary information” that is not yours is business confidential; regardless of whether or not it’s been leaked in the past.
Again, is that what these employees did? Nope. Employees can talk about their wages without fear of reprisals. I’d think you could understand the plain language coming from the NLRB, but I guess not. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: I7guy

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
There is no but. That's more than enough for anyone to live on comfortably, debt free.
I never said it wasn’t. Context is key. The person I was replying to said you don’t see those wages anywhere else in the world, but that’s not true at all.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
There is no but. That's more than enough for anyone to live on comfortably, debt free.

Perhaps if you're single, but after taxes that's likely less than 8K per month. Obviously everyone's priorities will be different, but I can't imagine it's easy to support a family in the Bay Area on that money.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
The minimum wage is literally set by the government. However minimum wage is also a terrible idea since you're inflating the value of low skilled workers and harming the ones who can't get jobs. In some states like California you can't even offer internships to low-skilled people, further limiting their growth opportunities.

We need less government intrusion in our lives.
All kinds of laws are set and enforced by the government. That has nothing to do with the fact that the timeline and details of those laws are all created by corporations. That's democracy in a capitalist society. We have much less government intrusion than you can believe.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Product I get, but labor conversations like talking about your pay and work environment are protected topics; that's a pretty major gaff and somebody of his pay level or his handlers should know better. Some years ago, we had mandatory anti-union training at a big company I worked for - was across many thousands of people; I'm surprised that never made it to the NLRB. I bet these draconian tactics cause more problems than they solve.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I doubt the $143k includes the all Apple employees, so it can’t be the average.

Last edited:

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
All kinds of laws are set and enforced by the government. That has nothing to do with the fact that the timeline and details of those laws are all created by corporations. That's democracy in a capitalist society. We have much less government intrusion than you can believe.
The government intrudes into peoples lives every day. Every time you transact they steal from you. They limit what you can purchase. The government even spies on it's own citizens.

If anything we need a much more limited government.

• Sad
Reactions: freedomlinux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.