Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
Without a NDA no obligation.
There is always an ethical obligation, NDA or not. Corporate planning confidentiality should be a shared concern by both management and employees which questions the whole basis of the the NRLB's logic in the ruling. They essentially don't have the vested interest in the company that management and employees share. Stated another way, do you want Samsung, Microsoft and other competitors accelerating their development based on leaks and beating you to the punch diluting your announcement and impacting profitability, or do you want them playing catchup. All companies seek to limit confidential information for that very reason. Look at another industry - What if employees McDonald Douglas, Lockheed, and other defense contractors leaked confidential information on the planned and newest developments in weapons technology. They would probably be considered spies, not leakers, but it illustrates the extreme. Really have to consider if the NRLB has run amuck with the extension of what originally may have been solid within a narrow perspective and now applied generally.

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Good, Apple is a bully under the guise of a humanitarian philanthropical do-right company. They are bunch of capitalists, with frowny face Timmy being the first in line with his big beak wide open. They push people around all the time with no accountability.
By the ti e if your post I’m guessing you think it would be okay to leak business confidential information…and not get fired. Or bullied as YOU see it.

• Disagree
Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Ironically, Apple would have more success under a GOP administration, though they tend to support Democrats.
Apple is mainly preserving of fundamental rights and looks to be on the right side of history around the same time as centrists. I think Apple usually approaches in a less partisan way to consider it left-wing. Particularly since Apple is slow to back issues and avoids more divisive areas. The left is often early to be on the right side of history, but not necessarily getting all the details right despite their conviction. In fact, sometimes to an extent they set their cause back. The right usually gets on the right side of history eventually after at least a decade or two and by then the details are figured out. Apple is somewhere in the middle where most of the details are figured out, so time to start setting them in stone.

Being a California company, their employees are more likely to support Democrats. Although I feel California has been swinging more independent after so many failed policies. Apple has been spending more lobbying democrats lately, but mainly because they are the larger threat to App Store regulation.

Last edited:

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
It's time for Mr. Tim Cook has got to go. Time to retire, please. No, I don't hate Tim Cook. I love and admire him but I want change! Why is Apple even facing this?
Because of stupid laws. How anyone can run a business these days is beyond me.

Apple has been insanely successful under Tim. Hopefully he stays longer.

GraXXoR

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
When Apple BECOMES Big Brother...
1984 Superbowl ad creator is turning in his grave.
Ironically, Apple would have more success under a GOP administration, though they tend to support Democrats.
GOP: "Just don't mention the sexuality of Apple's boss and you're golden.
At least they ditched the 'woke apple logo' before woke came along and groomed our children."

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
The op I quoted thought it was “great” that apple got its hand slapped for the letter.

correct, because what they are trying to do is stop people talking, but was nothing to do with "business confidential information". and they are rightly getting slapped for it.

Reactions: chucker23n1

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Weird. I‘ve not worked for a U.S. company that didn’t send out an email - or have an explicit policy - warning employees about leaking confidential information about the company. Had no idea that was illegal. Huh…
From the article:

"Cook's email wasn't referencing a product leak, but was instead aimed at employees who had shared details about a meeting focused on pay equity, working from home, COVID vaccinations, and more."

Everyone agrees that leaking product information or intellectual property and such can be restricted. The issue at hand is Apple considering information about general HR policies as confidential and threatening employees accordingly.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Okay so setting aside what the actual leaks are about. Companies aren't able to prevent employees from leaking confidential info about the company? What if they want to protect potential products they are working on to prevent other companies from learning about it and working on a similar product to compete? What if its an advanced technology that only they know of? I just feel like the article didn't give enough info. I can't imagine that companies dont have the right to prevent IP leaks?
The article specifically says that the issue is with Apple trying to consider meetings about labor practices and general HR policy as confidential, specifically as it relates to pay equity, work-from-home, and COVID-19 policies. No one is disputing that companies have the right to protect their intellectual property.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Meanwhile, when Steve Jobs was around:
stevebeatings.jpg

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
No, they are trying to stop the leaks of business confidential information. Which could be anything that apple defines.
Nope. There are very strict US labor laws about allowing employees to discuss joining a union and other labor practices about the workplace. They can not just wave a magic wand and say "these labor practices are confidential."

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Misleading

There are always certain confidential information if your work for a technology company in the states that an employee is restricted from discussing. Something you agreed to when you are an employee.
And none of that protected confidential information involves discussing pay equity or working conditions. Nice straw man though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
  • Disagree
Reactions: AndyMacAndMic

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
You don’t think an employee can be reprimanded and / or fired by leaking salary information? That’s baffling.
Their own salary information? No, they cannot.

“Under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA or the Act), employees have the right to communicate with other employees at their workplace about their wages. Wages are a vital term and condition of employment, and discussions of wages are often preliminary to organizing or other actions for mutual aid or protection.”

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A
It's a federal law that you cannot directly influence the stock price of a company by leaking confidential information to competitors or to the public, of which competitors are a portion.

What is the difference between leaking of trade secrets, and what happened here? It is a trade secret what Apple is working on and intends to release to the public. A meeting about a trade secret is Insider Information. How are the leakers walking away from Insider Information control laws and Apple gets in trouble?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.