Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buyers only. Are you keeping or returning your Apple Vision Pro?

• Keeping! This is what I expected or better.

Votes: 55 21.4%
  • Keeping. There are some shortcomings but I like what I see.

Votes: 80 31.1%
  • Keeping. I’m hoping to make it big on eBay in 2041.

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Returning. What was Apple thinking?

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Returning. It’s a great product but I can’t justify $3,500+ for it.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Returning. I will come back once the next version reaches a price point I can live with.

Votes: 15 5.8%
  • Returning. I will come back once Apple adds some feature I want, even at the current price level.

Votes: 46 17.9%

• Total voters

controlit

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2024
I got mine with the intention of keeping but easily and surprisingly I did decide to return it.

Not sure how Apple counts days but i was given about 17 days..Not that it mattered as I dropped it off at Fed Ex today even though I had till the 24th.

I was going to just keep the Zeiss inserts but I changed my mind and figured if it's awhile before the next AVP comes maybe my prescription might change.

The return experience of the inserts were easy online after I was initially denied automatically due to the 2 week window.

Like many here have posted, I did like it and was blown away by what it offers and excited to try again in the future.

If I had to give a reason or two, I'd say not comfortable enough, a bit more glare than I'd like.

Rather than pick it apart, I'm sure I will get it again and maybe I was a bit too early for my needs.

Last edited:

kalieaire

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
I wanted to get it for my flights across the pacific. ZipAir is a great deal for flights but no inflight entertainment means VR headset.

My issues.

• Can’t load my photos from my phone into the Camera Roll. I can’t even airdrop things. I do not trust iCloud and don’t like the idea of having to use Apple’s solution especially if it’s one that’s vulnerable to SIM swapping.
  • No external storage capability, I’m a photographer and want to be able to load my photos in and edit. Sure I can integrate with screen mirroring from my apple laptop, but functionality and integration with gestures isn’t all there.
  • Apple TV+ won’t allow me to download episodes. Ok whatever fine, I’ll download them onto my iPhone for my cross pacific trip. Great. wait, I can’t screen mirror my iphone to my AVP? 😭
  • In terms of a full solution, there’s clearly at least two years of technical debt. I can spend the money on a Meta Quest for the time being, place the rest into investments, and pay for a new version of the AVP in two years with money to spare.

Reactions: Ghost31

Pink Panther84

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
I've had mine for almost two weeks now, and I'm keeping mine. While I'm not doing anything heavy duty I'm enjoying watching both 2D & 3D movies, the spacial audio is truly impressive, and the immersive environments are great. The virtual display is a great feature as well, I could easily seeing this replacing my iPad.

Reactions: fatTribble

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I like it quite a bit but given the lack of apps currently and it's high price, it felt like it made a ton of sense to wait for maybe refurbished models/cheaper models to release and by then the app + use case ecosystem would be far more robust.

I'm actually now heavily leaning on just keeping it, and a big push was the latest Kuo rumors that the Vision product line may not see any meaningful updates for 2+ years – I don't want to wait that long, this device has the best display by a wide margin and I'd prefer to be using this over the next 2 years rather than waiting for what's next.

Reactions: OriginalAppleGuy

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
I like it quite a bit but given the lack of apps currently and it's high price, it felt like it made a ton of sense to wait for maybe refurbished models/cheaper models to release and by then the app + use case ecosystem would be far more robust.

I'm actually now heavily leaning on just keeping it, and a big push was the latest Kuo rumors that the Vision product line may not see any meaningful updates for 2+ years – I don't want to wait that long, this device has the best display by a wide margin and I'd prefer to be using this over the next 2 years rather than waiting for what's next.

Had similar thoughts. But every day I used the dang thing, found something else to love about it. Being able to have multiple apps open anywhere in my little universe is dreamy. I’m the kind of person who has to have at least 2 monitors but prefers 3 or more.

Reactions: SirithX

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I swapped my 256 for the 512 and a slightly bigger light seal. I am keeping it.
I need to set an alarm to not lose track of time while using it.
just need a VP specific case now.
Funny, I swapped my 512 for the 256 and a slightly smaller light seal. Perhaps we could have just traded. :D

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Think I’ve milked this trial period long enough past 23 days or so. But it’s boxed up for the return finally.

All I can really say is it remained a casual device for me. An hour a day if I was lucky. Some days no use.

Even then it was movies/video. After playing around with some windows, Mac virtual initially and apps initially I never really went back to it much. Moonplayer actually was usable yesterday but still buggy and a far cry from full featured app. App Store remained about same. A joke. Maybe it’s the iPad ui in a vr headset. It’s just a lot of work.

But even for videos I found myself preferring 85” tv for the convenience and freedom. Sharing. Better sound system. Eating and drinking without a heavy device on face. Apple TV UI.

The last attempt at watching a movie lasted about 20min. Pic and sound is fine. What isn’t is wearing this. Fov. Glare. Smudge feeling like looking through binoculars that need cleaned (and Avp was cleaned). It’s not for me.

Even at 1500 this would go back. It’s something I want to see (movies look great as is the windows in air thing) but don’t want to use. The UI just gets tiring. And the don’t want to use part easily wins the tug of war. Though the want part voice keeps trying. Well let’s try this again. Adjust the strap that way. Cmon ignore the cord. The screen isn’t dirty it’s just glare. Ignore it.

Oh well. I guess I am getting an oled iPad after all.

OriginalAppleGuy

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016
Virginia
Think I’ve milked this trial period long enough past 23 days or so. But it’s boxed up for the return finally.

All I can really say is it remained a casual device for me. An hour a day if I was lucky. Some days no use.

Even then it was movies/video. After playing around with some windows, Mac virtual initially and apps initially I never really went back to it much. Moonplayer actually was usable yesterday but still buggy and a far cry from full featured app. App Store remained about same. A joke. Maybe it’s the iPad ui in a vr headset. It’s just a lot of work.

But even for videos I found myself preferring 85” tv for the convenience and freedom. Sharing. Better sound system. Eating and drinking without a heavy device on face. Apple TV UI.

The last attempt at watching a movie lasted about 20min. Pic and sound is fine. What isn’t is wearing this. Fov. Glare. Smudge feeling like looking through binoculars that need cleaned (and Avp was cleaned). It’s not for me.

Even at 1500 this would go back. It’s something I want to see (movies look great as is the windows in air thing) but don’t want to use. The UI just gets tiring. And the don’t want to use part easily wins the tug of war. Though the want part voice keeps trying. Well let’s try this again. Adjust the strap that way. Cmon ignore the cord. The screen isn’t dirty it’s just glare. Ignore it.

Oh well. I guess I am getting an oled iPad after all.

Hey - you gave it a shot and that’s great!

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Today is my last day to return and I’ve decided to keep my Vision Pro.

I was wow’d by the demo like many others. I waited almost a week before actually buying one at my local store. I wanted to do more research and read reviews. When I got it home I had motion sickness to some degree. Thankfully that pretty much went away after receiving the lenses a few days later. Reducing erratic head motion helped too. The weight was initially a concern, but the dual loop strap really helped with that.

I‘m a big Trek fan so The Archive app was my killer app. Although it’s not something I’d use everyday I liked the idea that I could. After a lot of internal debate about how I’d use this, I finally thought back to my original iPad.

My iPad was a big iPhone. There were iPhone apps I loved that weren’t on iPad. So I wasn’t sure how I’d use the bigger screen of the iPad. Websites were more comfortable to browse. Photos looked better. So I started to find some uses here and there.

For me I think Vision Pro will be similar. I’ll use it for media and content consumption in ways that are just better or not available on iPad and hopefully more uses will arrive over time. I’m really excited about it still and feel lucky to have one. 🤓🥰

VisionRex

Suspended
Feb 22, 2024
I swapped my 256 for the 512 and a slightly bigger light seal. I am keeping it.
I need to set an alarm to not lose track of time while using it.
just need a VP specific case now.
Have you tried Grandpa Joe mode? Lay in bed and not move all day feigning illness before your young grandson wins a trip to a Candy factory?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Got one with the intention of keeping it but will be returning. I can make it about 20 minutes into a movie or show without desperately wanting to get it off my face. Quality is impressive but noticeably not 4K. The coolest feature imo is the immersive experience videos Apple uploaded, and I really like Disney’s immersive theater for watching movies. But like I said, it’s not comfortable enough to wear for the duration of a movie… For those who aren’t bothered by that I’m sure it will be an entertaining device.

Stickman251

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
Long time lurker. Very long time. I had to make a profile just to post on this thread.

Apple IIe owner and about every launch item since. Even had time with a Lisa (which I was comparing the AVP to until I got one)

Had my AVP for 7 days now. It is amazing. If you are thinking of ordering - don't let anyone talk you out of it online. Lots of noise and some of it is true.

It is the best VR device available within reach of the consumer. It is expensive but worth it.

Most of my issues were resolved with proper fitting. I had glare, face pain, light leak, etc. Once I sat down in a store and went through a fitting, there has been a massive improvement and all issues including glare are minimal. Scanned a 21W - 25W with lenses and found a 11N the best (even with lenses)

It is clearly a very personal device and it will not work or be liked/loved by everybody. Bought mine with every intention of returning but am keeping. My wife bought hers yesterday. Couldn't share.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Long time lurker. Very long time. I had to make a profile just to post on this thread.

Apple IIe owner and about every launch item since. Even had time with a Lisa (which I was comparing the AVP to until I got one)

Had my AVP for 7 days now. It is amazing. If you are thinking of ordering - don't let anyone talk you out of it online. Lots of noise and some of it is true.

It is the best VR device available within reach of the consumer. It is expensive but worth it.

Most of my issues were resolved with proper fitting. I had glare, face pain, light leak, etc. Once I sat down in a store and went through a fitting, there has been a massive improvement and all issues including glare are minimal. Scanned a 21W - 25W with lenses and found a 11N the best (even with lenses)

It is clearly a very personal device and it will not work or be liked/loved by everybody. Bought mine with every intention of returning but am keeping. My wife bought hers yesterday. Couldn't share.
Welcome to the forum! Excellent first post! 🥰

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks for posting! Interesting that even glare was improved. That’s the main thing that still bugs me sometimes. I compensate by using a bright immersive background (usually White Sands), though I’d much prefer to watch movies in a dark environment.

How much time did you spend at the fitting? There are so many light seal/cushion combinations to try.

Stickman251

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
Thanks for posting! Interesting that even glare was improved. That’s the main thing that still bugs me sometimes. I compensate by using a bright immersive background (usually White Sands), though I’d much prefer to watch movies in a dark environment.

How much time did you spend at the fitting? There are so many light seal/cushion combinations to try.

My completely personal observation with little data is that the glare is going to be very variable based on many factors for every user. My glare issues in a dark environment like cinema mode was a mix of side light leak, cheek light leak and intrinsic glare off the lenses. I found if I pushed my eyes closer, compressed the seal and looked at the middle to top of the screen, my glare diminished.

I went to the store with the idea of trying a 21N (from a 25W) thinking it would get rid of the side leak and get my eyes closer. I took out my lenses and played like I didn't have them as the helpful Apple person was fairly in tune with things but also was very willing to put out any size I wanted. Took my own AVP and immediately to cinema mode with a bright movie. Side light leak was still there but overall lower field glare was better. Since a 11N would give me a tilt to the cheeks I tried that and paired with the N+ cushion. It worked. Light leak was gone and it was very comfortable. Doesn't make much sense as I have a big head and reasonable sized face. No eyes too close warning either.

I can now tolerate to watch a full movie in cinema dark mode. There is still some glare but I find if I keep my eyes above the 1/2 part of the screen in the vertical it is minimal. AVP rides on my face and is more comfortable than the 25W. I have done 5 hours straight with minimal strain and face swelling.

Couple of factors in my favor - store wasn't busy, Apple crew was very helpful and just threw up on the table what ever I asked for and I had my personal AVP and was ready to test each seal quickly.

I had a "demo" booked for the switch. Took about 20 minutes and waited another 5-10 or so for them to box up my new light seal only for me to unbox it and give them back the box with they badly wanted for some reason.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
My completely personal observation with little data is that the glare is going to be very variable based on many factors for every user. My glare issues in a dark environment like cinema mode was a mix of side light leak, cheek light leak and intrinsic glare off the lenses. I found if I pushed my eyes closer, compressed the seal and looked at the middle to top of the screen, my glare diminished.

I went to the store with the idea of trying a 21N (from a 25W) thinking it would get rid of the side leak and get my eyes closer. I took out my lenses and played like I didn't have them as the helpful Apple person was fairly in tune with things but also was very willing to put out any size I wanted. Took my own AVP and immediately to cinema mode with a bright movie. Side light leak was still there but overall lower field glare was better. Since a 11N would give me a tilt to the cheeks I tried that and paired with the N+ cushion. It worked. Light leak was gone and it was very comfortable. Doesn't make much sense as I have a big head and reasonable sized face. No eyes too close warning either.

I can now tolerate to watch a full movie in cinema dark mode. There is still some glare but I find if I keep my eyes above the 1/2 part of the screen in the vertical it is minimal. AVP rides on my face and is more comfortable than the 25W. I have done 5 hours straight with minimal strain and face swelling.

Couple of factors in my favor - store wasn't busy, Apple crew was very helpful and just threw up on the table what ever I asked for and I had my personal AVP and was ready to test each seal quickly.

I had a "demo" booked for the switch. Took about 20 minutes and waited another 5-10 or so for them to box up my new light seal only for me to unbox it and give them back the box with they badly wanted for some reason.
Thanks so much for that. Yes, it seems a good fitting experience requires a knowledgeable Apple person and time to devote to trying various combinations. I wonder how much is given to this during training, as opposed to teaching how to wow a potential buyer.

I’m going to call the store where I got my AVP and request a session like yours.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
I can now tolerate to watch a full movie in cinema dark mode.
...I myself would prefer any tech user experience to be better than merely falling in the range of "I can now tolerate to watch a full movie[..]".

There is still some glare but I find if I keep my eyes above the 1/2 part of the screen in the vertical it is minimal.
That doesn't sound very tolerable to me. ;-)
That sounds rather tiresome...

I have done 5 hours straight with minimal strain and face swelling.
...but you still experienced some strain and face swelling then?

Hmmm... An amazing tolerable experience. 🙃

You just confirmed for me why the VP is a bit of a dud, at least this first release.

Thanks for sharing, though. Nice to read that it was a tolerable experience so far for you.

Stickman251

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2024
...I myself would prefer any tech user experience to be better than merely falling in the range of "I can now tolerate to watch a full movie[..]".

Hmmm... An amazing tolerable experience. 🙃

You just confirmed for me why the VP is a bit of a dud, at least this first release.

Thanks for sharing, though. Nice to read that it was a tolerable experience so far for you.

We, as users, focus so much on launch products on those elements that are not perfect or fully refined. The totality of the product for my experience is amazing and worth the price of entry. Those parts that are still amazing, such as cinema mode 3D movies, but not fully refined lend to the question of return of the product, as is the discussion of this thread. The AVP may be a "dud" for you when and if you experience it because of these shortcomings. I only suggest in my postings that you not allow the strong opinions both in favor and against to sway you in your decision if you choose to experience or purchase one. This is a very personal and potentially polarizing product.

I had a mouse package on my IIgs. It allowed GUI but was clunky, unpredictable and not very useful, but I tolerated it because it was amazing and like nothing else on the market. Even the Mac 128 was a bit of a challenge but look where it took us.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

Hmmm... An amazing tolerable experience.

Introducing the avp 2.0. Our most tolerable goggles yet. We think you’re gonna love to tolerate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.