Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today confirmed that the Vision Pro headset will go on sale in China later this year (via Reuters).

Vision-Pro-Person.jpg

Responding to a question from the press at the China Development Forum in Beijing, Cook confirmed that Apple's first spatial computer will launch in the country in 2024. He added that Apple will continue to increase research and development investment in China. Earlier this week, Cook visited Apple's new Jing'an store in Shanghai.

This is the first explicit confirmation of a specific country other than the United States that the Vision Pro will launch in this year. Apple says that the Vision Pro will launch in additional countries later in 2024, but the company has not provided a more specific timeframe or, until now, indicated exactly where the headset will become available. Last month, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he believed the Vision Pro would launch internationally before Apple's annual developers conference WWDC, which typically takes place in the first week of June.

Article Link: Apple Vision Pro to Launch in China Later This Year

GrayFlannel

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2024
It’s clear Apple is in this for the long run.

There’s no evidence Apple planned to discontinue or starve the Vision Pro line is there?

Give it a couple of revisions and they will eventually knock it out the park.

There are very few companies who enjoy so loyal of customers who will joyously welcome such a premium price for one of their products while conceding it will take several revisions to eventually do it well.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
What is it? 1.4b customers await!
Btw very difficult to gauge sales since Apple is the only seller but social media groups adding on tens of thousands of members and have more than doubled since Feb launch. FB Apple Vision Pro Official 18k late Feb to 41k members today and that’s just one group the rest are growing rapidly as well.

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
This isn’t news. We’ve known for a while that China was one of the next several countries where the AVP would launch thanks to previous leaks about keyboard support that already appeared here and other past leaks as well.

We’re clearly in that lull between the last serious OS revisions of the year and WWDC with the only semi interesting thing left are the forthcoming launch of the new iPads.

On a side note I’m no longer even a little excited for the new iPads. The AVP plus my M3 MacBook Pro have totally replaced my iPad. I’m debating selling the one I have but could see myself using it when traveling since there is no way I’m traveling with the AVP. I’d like to use it at work to take notes and digitize them into searchable documents.

Has anybody found an app or a pencil style device / case / app that makes note taking more like taking a pen to paper with an app good at using OCR to produce searchable notes? I have a 10th generation iPad and the original Apple Pencil. I used to have an original 9.7” iPad Pro but found myself using the device less and less once the iPhone screen got bigger when the iPhone X shipped so I couldn’t really justify an upgrade to anything more than the entry level 10th generation iPad once those models hit and the writing was on the wall for the shelf life of that OG iPad Pro.

When I first got my iPad I loved it and used it all the time. I’d come home from work, my iPhone would go on the charger and I’d use an iPad as my main media consumption device. That changed in a hurry after the iPhone X gave me some extra screen real estate. About the only thing I can think of that might get my attention now would the note taking ability I mentioned above plus a model that’s noticeably lighter than the 10th generation iPad.

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
There are very few companies who enjoy so loyal of customers who will joyously welcome such a premium price for one of their products while conceding it will take several revisions to eventually do it well.

Agreed in general but I think I speak for many owners when I say we believe Apple has done it well.

It will be generations before you can take this tech and get it into a form factor that is like the AR glasses that are out there today at a price point which has mass market appeal. That’s a bit different than stating it’ll be many generations before Apple does it well.

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
This isn’t news. We’ve known for a while that China was one of the next several countries where the AVP would launch thanks to previous leaks about keyboard support that already appeared here and other past leaks as well.

We’re clearly in that lull between the last serious OS revisions of the year and WWDC with the only semi interesting thing left are the forthcoming launch of the new iPads.

On a side note I’m no longer even a little excited for the new iPads. The AVP plus my M3 MacBook Pro have totally replaced my iPad. I’m debating selling the one I have but could see myself using it when traveling since there is no way I’m traveling with the AVP. I’d like to use it at work to take notes and digitize them into searchable documents.

Has anybody found an app or a pencil style device / case / app that makes note taking more like taking a pen to paper with an app good at using OCR to produce searchable notes? I have a 10th generation iPad and the original Apple Pencil. I used to have an original 9.7” iPad Pro but found myself using the device less and less once the iPhone screen got bigger when the iPhone X shipped so I couldn’t really justify an upgrade to anything more than the entry level 10th generation iPad once those models hit and the writing was on the wall for the shelf life of that OG iPad Pro.

When I first got my iPad I loved it and used it all the time. I’d come home from work, my iPhone would go on the charger and I’d use an iPad as my main media consumption device. That changed in a hurry after the iPhone X gave me some extra screen real estate. About the only thing I can think of that might get my attention now would the note taking ability I mentioned above plus a model that’s noticeably lighter than the 10th generation iPad.
You can hardly compare the extra screen real estate of an iPhone to an iPad.Even the iPad mini is a big difference to a Max/Plus model iPhone due to the difference in the aspect ratio.And the iPad 10 is not too heavy.Do you not have any muscles?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.