Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belsommy

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2024
If the iPhone sales are slumping in China, why would they (consumers) buy a $3500 VR/AR/Spatial headset?

Yes, Apple is again out of touch with reality. Chinese people are far LESS interested to spend $3500 on "googles".

GrayFlannel

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2024
No serious competitor products, unlike with phones.

In the mixed reality area Pico and Meta has had limited success with the former scaling back offerings because of anemic Chinese interest. Perhaps the AVP will spark the Chinese market in that sector.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
That’s the unit itself, not an accessory.
I am not see it with your link.i accessory.
Only.. link showing now. Last time it wasn’t. Ok fine. Exist

Scheduled to be delivered around April 04 - 08 oh joy lol
IMG_0829.jpeg

Last edited:

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
Okay now that the dust has settled in the US of A Vision Pro isn’t a hit.

Don’t argue me on that but convince me Apple is all in on VR/AR for the future.

I am hoping that there will be a headset maybe at $1500 that has a killer app.

My friends what is the killer app?

The Vision Pro isn’t a device meant to be a hit in the way you and so many others define it just yet. The limited number of units they are producing this year alone means the device won’t reach the kinds of sales numbers required for a device to be a mass market hit so saying the device isn’t a hit is like saying it isn’t dry outside when it’s raining.

The Vision Pro at this point is a hit for Apple if they move enough devices or generate enough hype, or some combination of both, for developers to see the potential and start producing a healthy app ecosystem around the device.

If that happens then the device is a hit for Apple at this point. If it doesn’t then it isn’t. We won’t be able to judge that aspect of it until it’s actually for sale in more than a handful of countries and for long enough that developers are given enough time to get their hands on the device, learn how to write software for it and then given more time to actually produce quality apps for the platform. That doesn’t happen in a week, a month, 6 months, etc. It will take time and goes against the hot take theater that so many have brought to the table when they discuss this device.

If the technology arrives to allow Apple to produce the device in an AR glasses form factor at a $1,000 to $1,500 price point then this hit discussion becomes relevant. We’re not there yet and yes, that’s a big if.

The platform itself will then be the killer app. I have the same feeling when I put on the Vision Pro that I had when I first laid my hands on the OG iPhone all those years ago. That is to say there’s a ton of potential but these are early days.

With the OG iPhone we had painfully slow Edge speeds and only a chunk of the web was available. All I wanted at the time I bought it was an iPod and a cell phone combined so I didn’t have to carry two devices along with me to be able to communicate with friends and family and listen to my music collection.

The fact that you could browse the web as well with a browser that let you load many desktop class websites seemed to be a cool addition at the time but wasn’t the primary reason I bought the OG iPhone.

Remember back in the day of the OG iPhone EDGE was a terribly slow data connection. 3G was available but the OG iPhone didn’t have a 3G modem built in. Web sites were not mobile optimized and a ton of websites used Adobe Flash. The fact that Steve Jobs refused to support Flash was a hugely controversial issue at the time as it limited the websites you could load in mobile Safari and had many declaring the iPhone as a web browsing device DOA as a result of that lack of support. Oops….

If the Vision Pro can be made in an AR glasses style form factor with both a WiFi and a cellular chip built in then the platform becomes the killer app.

At that point you’re no longer carrying a smart phone in your pocket or a smart watch on your wrist for faster notifications and quick interactions with apps. Anything you could do on your smart phone and many of the things you can do other than health monitoring on your smart watch you can do on the AR glasses and if you want the privacy that goes along with a tradition cell phone conversation or want to hear your music in a public space or watch video content with audio you can pop in some AirPods.

Now you have AR/VR constantly overlaying your field of vision. Your field of vision becomes the smart phone screen. Any apps you want to run or notifications you want to receive are visible to you right there on the spot without having to take a device out of your pocket to look at it or without having to glance down at a watch.

There are more killer apps for a platform like that than I can imagine. Let’s start with an easy one. I’m terrible with names. If I’m out and about I’ll instantly recognize people I have met before but often can’t recall their names. If there were an app that would look at those around me and compare peoples faces to the people I’m friends with on various social media platforms and simply overlay their name above them as I’m speaking to them that would be one of many simple killer apps. The possibilities become huge at that point and something like that becomes on of a potentially huge amount of killer apps.

Last edited:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Do other countries have the same return policy as we do? If not, I doubt it'll sell after the initial hype wears off. Maybe Apple just wants to sell enough to recoup its R&D expenses.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

In China, it will be the editing of "misinformation" directly out of reality.

That might turn out rather popular in the USA as well come to think of t.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Do other countries have the same return policy as we do? If not, I doubt it'll sell after the initial hype wears off. Maybe Apple just wants to sell enough to recoup its R&D expenses.
Almost certainly the 1st couple of generations are investments in the future for Apple (one of the few American companies that really thinks that far down the line).

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003

People that ask what is the killer app haven’t spent enough time actually using one to know it’s the total interaction with minimal footprint that already is the killer app. Don’t argue with me on this my friend. 🤣

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In the mixed reality area Pico and Meta has had limited success with the former scaling back offerings because of anemic Chinese interest. Perhaps the AVP will spark the Chinese market in that sector.

Headset is seen as a solution in search of a problem, especially given the abundance of foldables in China.

You can't do any real productivity on Vision Pro. No cellular modem and a short battery life. Apart from initial interest from fanboys, it's not going to drive general interest regardless of where Apple launches the device.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The Vision Pro isn’t a device meant to be a hit in the way you and so many others define it just yet. The limited number of units they are producing this year alone means the device won’t reach the kinds of sales numbers required for a device to be a mass market hit so saying the device isn’t a hit is like saying it isn’t dry outside when it’s raining.

The Vision Pro at this point is a hit for Apple if they move enough devices or generate enough hype, or some combination of both, for developers to see the potential and start producing a healthy app ecosystem around the device.

If that happens then the device is a hit for Apple at this point. If it doesn’t then it isn’t. We won’t be able to judge that aspect of it until it’s actually for sale in more than a handful of countries and for long enough that developers are given enough time to get their hands on the device, learn how to write software for it and then given more time to actually produce quality apps for the platform. That doesn’t happen in a week, a month, 6 months, etc. It will take time and goes against the hot take theater that so many have brought to the table when they discuss this device.

If the technology arrives to allow Apple to produce the device in an AR glasses form factor at a $1,000 to $1,500 price point then this hit discussion becomes relevant. We’re not there yet and yes, that’s a big if.

The platform itself will then be the killer app. I have the same feeling when I put on the Vision Pro that I had when I first laid my hands on the OG iPhone all those years ago. That is to say there’s a ton of potential but these are early days.

With the OG iPhone we had painfully slow Edge speeds and only a chunk of the web was available. All I wanted at the time I bought it was an iPod and a cell phone combined so I didn’t have to carry two devices along with me to be able to communicate with friends and family and listen to my music collection.

The fact that you could browse the web as well with a browser that let you load many desktop class websites seemed to be a cool addition at the time but wasn’t the primary reason I bought the OG iPhone.

Remember back in the day of the OG iPhone EDGE was a terribly slow data connection. 3G was available but the OG iPhone didn’t have a 3G modem built in. Web sites were not mobile optimized and a ton of websites used Adobe Flash. The fact that Steve Jobs refused to support Flash was a hugely controversial issue at the time as it limited the websites you could load in mobile Safari and had many declaring the iPhone as a web browsing device DOA as a result of that lack of support. Oops….

If the Vision Pro can be made in an AR glasses style form factor with both a WiFi and a cellular chip built in then the platform becomes the killer app.

At that point you’re no longer carrying a smart phone in your pocket or a smart watch on your wrist for faster notifications and quick interactions with apps. Anything you could do on your smart phone and many of the things you can do other than health monitoring on your smart watch you can do on the AR glasses and if you want the privacy that goes along with a tradition cell phone conversation or want to hear your music in a public space or watch video content with audio you can pop in some AirPods.

Now you have AR/VR constantly overlaying your field of vision. Your field of vision becomes the smart phone screen. Any apps you want to run or notifications you want to receive are visible to you right there on the spot without having to take a device out of your pocket to look at it or without having to glance down at a watch.

There are more killer apps for a platform like that than I can imagine. Let’s start with an easy one. I’m terrible with names. If I’m out and about I’ll instantly recognize people I have met before but often can’t recall their names. If there were an app that would look at those around me and compare peoples faces to the people I’m friends with on various social media platforms and simply overlay their name above them as I’m speaking to them that would be one of many simple killer apps. The possibilities become huge at that point and something like that becomes on of a potentially huge amount of killer apps.
So we are truly 10 maybe 15 years before this is a relevant product.

Fair to say?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Good luck trying to fake an AVP. Lol. I think it’s far too complex compared to a phone.

Just because it's too complex for you, doesn't mean it's too complex for them. In China, they build all the tech in the end and then the western company slap on a big price tag while it was cheap to make.

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014

I’m replying for one reason. I want to tell you that I read your entire post. Well done for taking the time to write so much. I usually avoid reading long posts like this but then I decided that, since you made the effort to write it, I could take the time to read it. Thank you.
😎🇮🇪☘️

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Depends on how you define a "killer app". There are some for specific areas. Some examples:

1. Flying. Lots of reports of how great it is while flying. Big screen, immersive, security.

2. Media consumption. For movie buffs 3D, immersive video, excellent sound, screen can be put anywhere sized to preference and has better quality than what I see in even the best movie theaters.

For the mass market not there yet due to sales volumes and price. They will take time to appear.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Depends on how you define a "killer app". There are some for specific areas. Some examples:

1. Flying. Lots of reports of how great it is while flying. Big screen, immersive, security.

2. Media consumption. For movie buffs 3D, immersive video, excellent sound, screen can be put anywhere sized to preference and has better quality than what I see in even the best movie theaters.

For the mass market not there yet due to sales volumes and price. They will take time to appear.
Thank you.

It’s what I’ve been saying from the beginning.

this is a iPad headset.

And the ipad is just an oversized iPhone.

So according to my calculations

AVP = iPad + VR = iPhone w/o VR plus a VR headset..

Let me ask you this. Why not have the avp just be the hardware and the iPhone the brains to bring the price down?

• Haha
Reactions: JapanApple

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
So we are truly 10 maybe 15 years before this is a relevant product.

Fair to say?
It's not a case of 10 or 15 years going by and then suddenly Apple Vision is relevant.

It will gain relevancy over time.

I had my first home computer in 1982. In 1990 only 15 percent of homes had a computer. In 1997 it was 35 percent. So 15 years after my first computer, computers weren't even close to being ubiquitous.

You'd be forgiven for asking if computers were ever really going to be a thing.

iluvcrap2000

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2022
Yeah? Where they gonna get the money? The Banks won't let them take that much out. Think they want to Spend Money on this POS Rather than food or rent? Things are getting bad over there. I Highly Doubt this will sell well at all. Apple Should have seen the writing on the wall. $3400 is a LOT Of Money for a Normal Chinese person. The Economy across the Globe is Not Good at all and Apple is Hocking these things, Bad Decision. They Should come out with more affordable phones and macs to clench the market. Reduce the prices on the lower end stuff and they will sell a lot. Do a 25% off Deal on the Low end phones and macs and see how many they sell.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.