Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Let me ask you this. Why not have the avp just be the hardware and the iPhone the brains to bring the price down?
Maybe not yet practical. I would guess the R1 chip, which handles the input from all the cameras and other sensors, needs to be on the device. It would be mostly useless on current iPhones, though future iPhones might be more geared toward spatial computing. Having the rest of the processing on the iPhone would introduce more lag, especially if the communication were wireless. You could connect with a wire, but you'd still need the battery (iPhone battery isn't strong enough), so there'd be two heavy dongles hanging off the headset.

Maybe it can be done, but I don't think iPhones running two OSs simultaneously (iOS and VisionOS) is the way to go in the short term.

Reactions: G5isAlive

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Waiting for its availability to expand. Not sure in how many countries it will be available in 2024.

Reactions: JapanApple

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
At some point they will come to the realization that this is not what customers want. But until then, that's pretty much all Apple has to hype things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.