Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Anyone know how to disable the notification on the watch once the unlock completes.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Anyone know how to disable the notification on the watch once the unlock completes.

It's there for security so people can't unlock your mac literally behind your back while you're looking away or something. Bit crazy but hey!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Never got it to work but the extra security stopped forte agent on my win7 machine from getting email from my .me account it also made my watch send texts from the iCloud com account apple gave me automatically.

Davidliv07

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Hi All,

I am using mac book pro 14 (Sierra) and apple watch sport 42mm(OS3), for some unknown reason(at the moment) i am unable to use the new feature to unlock my mac using the apple watch.

2 factor authentication is on but still nothing, i found one issue that can be the reason for that.

On my apple id account i can still see that i am running watch os 2.2 with is incorrect as i am using watch os3.

Do you know how can i change that? or how can i make this feature work?

Thanks from advance

David.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
My ID also shoes wOS 2 although I have 3. Auto Unlock is working, though. I turned off/on handoff on iPhone and Mac once. After that it started to work.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I'm having the same issue. Cycled the handoff settings, restarted phone and computer. Still nothing works.

justinmaggs

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
Hi all,

So my Late 2013 15" rMBP is unlocking from my apple watch while the lid is shut and in sleep state. It doesn't do it every time, but often. I will close the lid and within a minute the watch will ping and notify me that my MacBook was unlocked. If i then lift the lid it is already at my desktop, not the "unlocking with apple watch" lock screen.

When this occurs it repeats until I open the lid again, so it seems that while the lid is closed it is unlocking, then going back into sleep mode, then unlocking again etc. Annoying considering i get a tap and ping sound every time this happens.

Is anyone else getting this? A reboot of the Mac and the watch hasn't fixed it.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
I opened my MacBook from sleep and it said I needed a password to unlock with apple watch.

I entered it - then closed it and re opened it and needed the password again.

Seems auto unlock has just stopped working even though it's enabled in preferences :S

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Your Mac uses a magnet in the lid & sensor in the body to detect when the Mac lid closes/opens. Sounds like something is triggering that to think it's being opened. Probably been happening a while, you just now notice it due to the watch notification.

Check for nearby magnetic fields, e.g. anything with a magnet (obviously) or anything with a power supply or speaker could be generating a field. If nothing like that, get it in for evaluation at a service center.

burms888

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Same issues.

Just got my AW S2 Friday
Upgraded to Sierra today
MBP Mid-2014
Two-factor Authentication On
Allow AW to unlock Mac checked
Rebooted Mac, iPhone 6S & AW
Every time I open from sleep I have to log-in manually

Not really sure what else I can do. :(

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
If I have my phone with my as well then I get the spinning 'unlocking with apple watch' and then i just get the password box. :(

burms888

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Same issues.

Just got my AW S2 Friday
Upgraded to Sierra today
MBP Mid-2014
Two-factor Authentication On
Allow AW to unlock Mac checked
Rebooted Mac, iPhone 6S & AW
Every time I open from sleep I have to log-in manually

Not really sure what else I can do. :(

UPDATE: It's working!

Turned off off handoff on MBP and rebooted
Turned off handoff on iPhone 6s and rebooted
Once both restarted turned handoff back on
Did a hard reset on AW S2

Tried a handful of times and it's worked every time.

Good luck all!

Reactions: rhythmac

justinmaggs

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2015
Hmm hadn't thought of that. Ill have to try it in a different location and see if it still does it. Thanks for the help.

Off to Magneto's prison I go.

Nimoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Has anyone else encountered this? Two-factor authorization is required to use the new watch unlock feature, but I'm not able to activate it. See attached the error message I'm getting. I contacted Apple support via Twitter. They just said they're looking into it.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 12.29.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 12.29.19 PM.png
    380.1 KB · Views: 150

Davidliv07

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Hi All,

For some reason i can't use the new feature to unlock my mac using the apple watch (watch OS3).
TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION is on but still nothing happens when the mac is locked and i am with my watch.
In addition i can see that my watch is on OS 2.2.2 on my apple ID (which is incorrect), maybe this is the reason?

i tried to check/uncheck the Handoff feature but it didn't helped.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hi All,

For some reason i can't use the new feature to unlock my mac using the apple watch (watch OS3).
TWO-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION is on but still nothing happens when the mac is locked and i am with my watch.
In addition i can see that my watch is on OS 2.2.2 on my apple ID (which is incorrect), maybe this is the reason?

i tried to check/uncheck the Handoff feature but it didn't helped.

Reboot your phone and watch.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
you need version 3.0, looks like you don't have that. For me reboots didn't work, I had to log out of icloud on my mac and log back in to get it to work

rhythmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
NYC
UPDATE: It's working!

Turned off off handoff on MBP and rebooted
Turned off handoff on iPhone 6s and rebooted
Once both restarted turned handoff back on
Did a hard reset on AW S2

Tried a handful of times and it's worked every time.

Good luck all!
That did it for me! I didn't do the hard reset on the watch...and it still worked!

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
How old is your mac? Not all macs that can run macOS sierra are capable of this feature. I have a MacBook Pro that can not use the watch to unlock. However when I go to enable it in settings there is no option to turn it on either so if you have the option in setting to enable apple watch to unlock this mac then it should work.

I believe the reason has to do with the bluetooth chip in the older mac's.

Davidliv07

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
How old is your mac? Not all macs that can run macOS sierra are capable of this feature. I have a MacBook Pro that can not use the watch to unlock. However when I go to enable it in settings there is no option to turn it on either so if you have the option in setting to enable apple watch to unlock this mac then it should work.

I believe the reason has to do with the bluetooth chip in the older mac's.
My mac is mid 2014 so i think it should work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.