Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FurbyUK

Suspended
Jul 9, 2016
Up North
??? The point was that the mac didn't have internet connectivity at the time, but the watch did as it would have been using the iPhone's cellular connection.

Doesn't the watch pull the internet from the phone over its wifi connection, not the Bluetooth?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Doesn't the watch pull the internet from the phone over its wifi connection, not the Bluetooth?
The watch will always (at least on S0 - not sure if they've changed behaviour for S1/S2) prefer the bluetooth connection to the iPhone if it's available. It actually turns off the wifi radio to save battery and utilizes the iPhone's internet connection. It changes over to wifi when the bluetooth signal gets weak.

Hmm. And, now that I think of it, for the timing to work, they're going to have to be turning the wifi radio on more often - as it's utilized for measuring the distance from your Mac to unlock it. They'll do that when the BT radio signals that it's back in range of the Mac, enable the watch's wifi radio to give the proximity distance (in my testing, the watch unlocked the MacBook no further than 4 feet away).

Last edited:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
that'/ disappointing, i dont want to pair and unpair my watch again....

My saga:

• Mac, iPhone and (1st-gen) Watch all fully updated.
  • Mac had two-step authentication turned on.
  • Check-box for Watch-unlock checked in Mac's System Preferences.
  • [began long loop of chaos in which Watch simply wouldn't unlock the Mac]
  • Read here that two-FACTOR iCloud authentication is needed, not two-STEP
  • Sighed heavily
  • Switched to two-factor
  • Dealt with all devices needing attention
  • In the end: check-box for Watch-unlock disappeared from System Preferences!
  • Reboots, etc...
  • No change. Gave up.
  • Next day: Mac suddenly complains Watch is locked (it was on its charger) and that it needs to be unlocked in order to set up Watch-unlock
  • Found the Watch-unlock checkbox had mysteriously reappeared.
  • Unlocked the Watch and authorized its unlock feature.
  • Works fine now.

Not a terribly Apple-y experience, but par for the course for a 1st-gen feature I guess. I'm not pleased with having to downgrade my authentication to two-factor and hope Apple allows two-step in the future.

Reactions: rezwits

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015
My saga:

• Mac, iPhone and (1st-gen) Watch all fully updated.
  • Mac had two-step authentication turned on.
  • Check-box for Watch-unlock checked in Mac's System Preferences.
  • [began long loop of chaos in which Watch simply wouldn't unlock the Mac]
  • Read here that two-FACTOR iCloud authentication is needed, not two-STEP
  • Sighed heavily
  • Switched to two-factor
  • Dealt with all devices needing attention
  • In the end: check-box for Watch-unlock disappeared from System Preferences!
  • Reboots, etc...
  • No change. Gave up.
  • Next day: Mac suddenly complains Watch is locked (it was on its charger) and that it needs to be unlocked in order to set up Watch-unlock
  • Found the Watch-unlock checkbox had mysteriously reappeared.
  • Unlocked the Watch and authorized its unlock feature.
  • Works fine now.

Not a terribly Apple-y experience, but par for the course for a 1st-gen feature I guess. I'm not pleased with having to downgrade my authentication to two-factor and hope Apple allows two-step in the future.
I finally got it working.

this website helped. http://m.imore.com/how-set-apples-2-factor-authentication-ios-10

I want to go on record to say that having to deactive two-step verification to use two step authentication is probably the dumbest thing in tech I've seen in a while, and I'm pretty sure I mangled something in the process (it asked for all kinds of passwords, and i think I had to make a new one too?), but it's working now

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Does anyone know, if such a Dongle adapter might help, if only WiFi 802.11 ac is missing?

https://amzn.com/B01I2IUKCY
I think the only potential would be if the CAT guys find a way of allowing USB adapters to appear non-removable under macOS. Currently if you use a USB adapter "find my mac" will only be partially enabled (and it appears this is one of the cloud bits that must be fully enabled for the unlocking with Apple Watch to work).

Edit: If your existing wifi adapter is actually working under Sierra, maybe you won't run into that - as it could still use that wifi adapter for "find my mac". You would have to try it out to see (make sure they have a good returns policy...maybe pick one up at Best Buy so you're not out the shipping?) :)

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
I think the only potential would be if the CAT guys find a way of allowing USB adapters to appear non-removable under macOS. Currently if you use a USB adapter "find my mac" will only be partially enabled (and it appears this is one of the cloud bits that must be fully enabled for the unlocking with Apple Watch to work).

Edit: If your existing wifi adapter is actually working under Sierra, maybe you won't run into that - as it could still use that wifi adapter for "find my mac". You would have to try it out to see (make sure they have a good returns policy...maybe pick one up at Best Buy so you're not out the shipping?) :)

Actually "Find my Mac" being enabled is not a requirement for using autounlock, it works fine for me on my 2015 MacBook turned off under iCloud settings, what needs to be enabled is two factor authentication.

However I'd also like to use autounlock on my late 2012 iMac (which I am still quite happy with and I upgraded with a 1 TB SSD earlier this year), but this one doesn't come with a 802.11 ac WiFi card. Was wondering if maybe someone knows for sure if a USB WiFi adapter would work, I somehow doubt it, but sure, if no one here knows that I might just give it a try.

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Actually "Find my Mac" being enabled is not a requirement for using autounlock, it works fine for me on my 2015 MacBook turned off under iCloud settings, what needs to be enabled is two factor authentication.

However I'd also like to use autounlock on my late 2012 iMac (which I am still quite happy with and I upgraded with a 1 TB SSD earlier this year), but this one doesn't come with a 802.11 ac WiFi card. Was wondering if maybe someone knows for sure if a USB WiFi adapter would work, I somehow doubt it, but sure, if no one here knows that I might just give it a try.

I purchased a new internal AC card to replace the N card in my early-2013 MBPr. It will be here on Tuesday. It's an easy process and should helps me. I'll report back!

Reactions: apfelbaum

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

Interesting. I think the capability of being able to use "Find my Mac" is pretty critical though - as the credentials of all of your 2FA authorized systems is checked every time you use the unlock feature. (there must be a race condition that Apple found, that they necessitate this check). People also found if they had "back to my Mac" enabled, unlocking didn't.

Another thing people should check - on your iPhone - Settings, Messages, Text Message Forwarding - if you have any duplicates in there, then your iCloud and Apple ID devices may be out of sync. You need to delete the system that's "ghosted", then re-add them to clear it up.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
I finally got it working.

this website helped. http://m.imore.com/how-set-apples-2-factor-authentication-ios-10

I want to go on record to say that having to deactive two-step verification to use two step authentication is probably the dumbest thing in tech I've seen in a while, and I'm pretty sure I mangled something in the process (it asked for all kinds of passwords, and i think I had to make a new one too?), but it's working now
Two step verification isn't mentioned anymore for me.

Just two factor and it's all on.

But still my rMacBook doesn't work with it :S

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
I purchased a new internal AC card to replace the N card in my early-2013 MBPr. It will be here on Tuesday. It's an easy process and should helps me. I'll report back!

Thanks for the offer, this will be very interesting and valuable news to read, wish you good luck :)

RangerOne

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2009
California
Initially, I had no problems getting my Apple Watch to unlock my mid-2013 rMBP. Then it just stopped working; like others, I would see it attempting to unlock, then it would just give up after about 10 seconds and prompt me for a password. I tried everything I could think of to get it to work. The last thing I tried was cycling Handoff on my Mac, iPhone and Apple Watch and then rebooting the iPhone and then Apple Watch. After that, it's worked quite a few times. Don't ask me why, as all the other settings were property established and unchanged from when it initially worked. I thought maybe the iOS 10.0.2 messed it up, but now it's working.

Here are the official instructions from Apple's help docs in macOS Sierra:

Unlock your Mac with Apple Watch
When you’re wearing your Apple Watch, you can use your watch to unlock your Mac after waking it, instead of entering your password.

S0970_AutoUnlock.png

Note: To use Auto Unlock, your Mac (a mid-2013 or later model) and Apple Watch must have macOS Sierra and watchOS 3 installed, respectively. You must be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID on both devices, and two-factor authentication must be turned on for your Apple ID. Make sure your Apple Watch is unlocked.

• Turn on Auto Unlock on your Mac: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then select the “Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac” checkbox.

Open Security & Privacy preferences for me

If necessary, click the lock icon
    IL_LockSysPrefs_osx.png
    at the bottom of the pane, then type an administrator name and password.

• Unlock your Mac: Wake your Mac from its idle state by pressing any keyboard key or, on a portable, by opening the display. The screen indicates your Mac is being unlocked.
System Information can confirm if your Mac supports Auto Unlock. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac, then click System Report. In the sidebar, click Network, click Wi-Fi, then look in the Interfaces section for Auto Unlock.

If you’re the administrator for another user on your Mac, you can log in to their user account and turn on Auto Unlock for them, as long as their Apple ID uses two-factor authentication and their Apple Watch has watchOS 3 installed.

Reactions: slvrscoobie

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I am having a perhaps related problem. When I check the box on my Mac to set up my Watch to unlock, I keep getting a dialog telling me to finish setting up iCloud on another device. I also get a Follow Up badge on my iPhone asking me to sign in to iCloud. I do so. Then I get a dialog asking me to enter a passcode. I'm supposed to get a code on one of my other trusted devices but never do. I'm signed into iCloud, but can't get my Mac to realize that.

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Add me to that. I tried today and it shows an old credit card that I can't edit or delete in security. I have the new cc recognized and working in iTunes etc.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
So when I first updated to Sierra the apple watch unlocking worked super fast and I was loving it. Then I got the iPhone 7 and had to reset my watch. Everything is updated and back to normal, but the apple watch unlock no longer works, does any one know why this is happening or had a similar experience?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So when I first updated to Sierra the apple watch unlocking worked super fast and I was loving it. Then I got the iPhone 7 and had to reset my watch. Everything is updated and back to normal, but the apple watch unlock no longer works, does any one know why this is happening or had a similar experience?

Do you need to re-authorize the device in Settings > Security on the Mac, or in bluetooth connections for pairing? Possibly remove the computer and re-add in iCloud membership.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I meet all the requirements; I tried all fixes posted online, and yet I cannot enable Auto Unlock. I keep getting the same error: "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch".

There's just one thing that is not clear for me. The Mac's wireless card must support 802.11ac in order for Auto Unlock to work. But does the Wi-Fi router also need to meet this requirement? I'm still using some "old" AirPort base stations, which do not have ac support. Could this be the cause?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I meet all the requirements; I tried all fixes posted online, and yet I cannot enable Auto Unlock. I keep getting the same error: "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch".

There's just one thing that is not clear for me. The Mac's wireless card must support 802.11ac in order for Auto Unlock to work. But does the Wi-Fi router also need to meet this requirement? I'm still using some "old" AirPort base stations, which do not have ac support. Could this be the cause?
No. It actually isn't that it needs AC (as the watch doesn't support AC) - it's that the mac needs to support the 802.11v feature "time in flight" - which this feature is using to determine distance between the mac and the watch.
The older chipsets didn't support the feature - the newer ones (as of the AC cards) do.

Even if you have a supported mac, it may be worthwhile to grab the CAT tool and run the diagnostic - just to see if there's something in your configuration that it doesn't like. (can't hurt)

scottw75

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Mine works the first time after a reboot and occasionally after that. This is with a gen 1 apple watch and a the first 5k iMac.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
To those thinking about getting this working by adding a USB Wifi adapter - tested it with adding the Edimax AC450 adapter - which is actually rebranded Mediatek/Realtek - on my 2012 Mac mini. And, no dice. System Information doesn't see this card as a wifi adapter.
Over on my 2008MBP (4,1) you see that you have to have a recognized wifi card with the Auto Unlock feature supported in order for the feature to show up under Security & Privacy.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 2.00.48 PM.png

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
MacBook Pro (15 Retina, Mid 2012)
Removed WiFi Bluetooth Card BCM94331CSAX Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Added Replacement BCM94360CSAX Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Option Showed up right away.
Screenshot of System Preferences (9-28-16, 4-14-31 PM).png
Checked It and it asked for password for the account I was logged in as.
Closed System Preferences Shutdown Macbook pro retina
Restarted Apple watch
Restarted Macbook Pro
Logged right in

One time it said it was logging in with Apple watch but didn't and presented standard password block
Closed and re opened lid and it logged in just fine.

RnR

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Very interested in trying this.
Where did you buy the:
Added Replacement BCM94360CSAX Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Thanks

MBP 15' Early 2011

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.