Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Very interested in trying this.
Where did you buy the:
Added Replacement BCM94360CSAX Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Thanks

MBP 15' Early 2011
All different kinds of these network adapters available on Amazon.

You need to make sure they're compatible with your system. (they normally list which systems in the ad).

Those with earlier systems (that utilize a ribbon cable connector, rather than the mini-PCI-e slot connector) may have to wait for the UCard replacement at QuickerTek (I haven't found any other replacements available with the newer BroadCom chipsets).

Edit: @RnR, your MBP is one of those using a ribbon connector - you can't use the slot cards, per:
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/Ma...-Mid-2012-Airport-Bluetooth-Board/IF161-083-1

(that's the stock card at the ifixit store, not an upgrade).

Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Very interested in trying this.
Where did you buy the:

Thanks

MBP 15' Early 2011
Amazon.com although they're also on eBay

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
MacBook Pro (15 Retina, Mid 2012)
Removed WiFi Bluetooth Card BCM94331CSAX Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Option Showed up right away.
View attachment 660574
Checked It and it asked for password for the account I was logged in as.
Closed System Preferences Shutdown Macbook pro retina
Restarted Apple watch
Restarted Macbook Pro
Logged right in

One time it said it was logging in with Apple watch but didn't and presented standard password block
Closed and re opened lid and it logged in just fine.

Looks great, is there a chance, that this also would work with a late 2012 iMac, I attached a screenshot of the WiFi section in the system report as a screenshot? Opening it also with that glued screen would not be the issue, it got upgraded with a 1 TB SSD not too long ago (one reason why I plan to go on using it for while), but I am not very familiar with the wireless cards in there, would an upgrade be possible and nothing else break?

Screen-1.jpg

To those thinking about getting this working by adding a USB Wifi adapter - tested it with adding the Edimax AC450 adapter - which is actually rebranded Mediatek/Realtek - on my 2012 Mac mini. And, no dice. System Information doesn't see this card as a wifi adapter.
Over on my 2008MBP (4,1) you see that you have to have a recognized wifi card with the Auto Unlock feature supported in order for the feature to show up under Security & Privacy.
View attachment 660533

Too bad but somehow felt to easy from the beginning, thanks for trying this out and letting us know here :)

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Okay, thanks.
Just one question......if I do change the card to 4.0 will I still be able to use my 2011 Time Capsule for WiFi & as my back up.
Did you miss the part when I told you that the same card won't work in your system? (the connector's different)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/auto-unlock-problems-merged.1992765/page-12#post-23625235

They have a good pic of your network card on the teardown on ifixit:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Teardown/4990

Last edited:

slvrscoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
NJ
System Information can confirm if your Mac supports Auto Unlock. Choose Apple menu > About This Mac, then click System Report. In the sidebar, click Network, click Wi-Fi, then look in the Interfaces section for Auto Unlock.
So maybe we could force the system to allow it if we changed the wifi kext to include the auto unlock, like we did for replacement cards with continuity?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Looks great, is there a chance, that this also would work with a late 2012 iMac, I attached a screenshot of the WiFi section in the system report as a screenshot? Opening it also with that glued screen would not be the issue, it got upgraded with a 1 TB SSD not too long ago (one reason why I plan to go on using it for while), but I am not very familiar with the wireless cards in there, would an upgrade be possible and nothing else break?
Teardown of your iMac (you didn't say which size, so just grabbed the 21.5" one):
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+AirPort-Bluetooth+Card+Replacement/16607

You'll see the original network card (step 59) has 4 antennae connectors and two torx screws from the opposing side holding it in place. The card for the MacBooks:
https://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-Bcm94360cs-Bcm94360csax-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B00PDN4H9E/
won't have the screw connectors (so you would need to find another way to keep it in place) and only has 3 antennae connectors, not 4 (so you'd be dropping one antennae).

Reactions: apfelbaum

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
Teardown of your iMac (you didn't say which size, so just grabbed the 21.5" one):
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+AirPort-Bluetooth+Card+Replacement/16607

You'll see the original network card (step 59) has 4 antennae connectors and two torx screws from the opposing side holding it in place. The card for the MacBooks:
https://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-Bcm94360cs-Bcm94360csax-Bluetooth-Wireless/dp/B00PDN4H9E/
won't have the screw connectors (so you would need to find another way to keep it in place) and only has 3 antennae connectors, not 4 (so you'd be dropping one antennae).

Thanks for the links, I actually have a 21.5'' iMac, so the one shown there at iFixit is the right one.

This actually looks promising and if this does work on MacBooks, there is at least a chance this working on an iMac as well, I just did look a little bit more around on Amazon and found this card:

https://amzn.com/B01DJAE99A

It says being compatible with the iMac from 2013, however could this maybe just mean, that it is just the same one and meant to be used as a replacement for the 2013 one, but should also work in the late 2012 one? It seems to have the same form factor as the one seen on iFixit, so it might also be kept in balance with the same screws?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Thanks for the links, I actually have a 21.5'' iMac, so the one shown there at iFixit is the right one.

This actually looks promising and if this does work on MacBooks, there is at least a chance this working on an iMac as well, I just did look a little bit more around on Amazon and found this card:

It says being compatible with the iMac from 2013, however could this maybe just mean, that it is just the same one and meant to be used as a replacement for the 2013 one, but should also work in the late 2012 one? It seems to have the same form factor as the one seen on iFixit, so it might also be kept in balance with the same screws?
That IS encouraging! :) You should contact the seller though - confirm what their returns policy is (if the screw holes don't line up, not sure you'll want to keep it? Guess you could use some sort of glue. ;)

Reactions: apfelbaum

RnR

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Appreciate your update.
So I'm snookered? I can't do it?
The answer is not yet (at least, unless someone else has found a card that supports the ribbon cable? anyone? Bueller?) ;)
The only one that I've found is the UCard from QuickerTek (it's not available right now - they're doing a product refresh) - I'm on their update list for when the new revision comes in. Here's hoping it's less expensive! ($149US for a NIC is a little crazy). You could contact their support to be added to the notify list when it comes out as well.

http://www.quickertek.com/products/Ucard.html

apfelbaum

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Germany
That IS encouraging! :) You should contact the seller though - confirm what their returns policy is (if the screw holes don't line up, not sure you'll want to keep it? Guess you could use some sort of glue. ;)

Someone asked this question a few years ago in the Apple community, according to a reply there someone got it working, guess I will get myself such a card and give it a try, depending on where I order that card from, it might take a little while until I have it, but report here for sure, if I got 802.11ac and autounlock with my Watch working :)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Someone asked this question a few years ago in the Apple community, according to a reply there someone got it working, guess I will get myself such a card and give it a try, depending on where I order that card from, it might take a little while until I have it, but report here for sure, if I got 802.11ac and autounlock with my Watch working :)
I'm sure you will...hopefully it won't take you too much work once you have the new card (have a BRCM4360 card in my 2008 17" MBP and it's working great - so, yep, it can definitely be done!) :)

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
2014 riMac, I get infinite spinning when trying to unlock

it was also not obvious how to even configure auto unlock

this feature has a terrible UX, and in the end doesn't even work

wtf are they doing at apple these days?

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

I believe that is the correct card for your iMac upgrade and is wifi euro spec which from your earlier about my mac picture (Germany ? ) would be what you are looking for.

I would reach out to the Amazon seller by Amazon message to confirm and Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy.

An iMac is a challenge to open. ifixit.com will give you an insight on tools and what you're up against

Etiene

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
Amsterdam
Here as well, the two-factor just wheels on the 'approve from another device page' and continue is greyed out. No pop up on my iphone or ipad.

I can get a pop up if I remove the mac from my devices, but it doesn't seem to approve everything, so I still get the 'finish icloud setup' box when trying to authorise watch unlock - the mac currently lists as approved for receiving auth requests under my devices, but insists I haven't finished setup either. Anyone manage to solve this?

badapeb

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2016
Hi all,

So my Late 2013 15" rMBP is unlocking from my apple watch while the lid is shut and in sleep state. It doesn't do it every time, but often. I will close the lid and within a minute the watch will ping and notify me that my MacBook was unlocked. If i then lift the lid it is already at my desktop, not the "unlocking with apple watch" lock screen.

When this occurs it repeats until I open the lid again, so it seems that while the lid is closed it is unlocking, then going back into sleep mode, then unlocking again etc. Annoying considering i get a tap and ping sound every time this happens.

Is anyone else getting this? A reboot of the Mac and the watch hasn't fixed it.
[doublepost=1475259395][/doublepost]I am having same problem, and I really believe it has nothing to do with a problem on the magnetic sensors, as the sleep when closed function is not an issue unless I am wearing my watch near the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.