Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I'm not trolling at all. It's a forum, and I'm giving my opinion. Wait.. is this one of those forums where we're all supposed to think the same thing? (Now I'm trolling.)

Edit: But for fun, can you please point out how nothing I said makes any sense. Specifically in regards to factual things, like that Gold and Stainless Steel can be polished.

All your'e doing is trolling and to be honest nothing you say makes any sense. I think it's you who needs to chill out. If that's your opinion then so be it but stop proclaiming everyone else should have the same opinion as you. You don't know me or my circumstances so you aren't in a position to claim what maybe right for you has to be right for everyone else.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
I wouldn't put a case on any Apple product, in fact one of the advantages of Apple products is their durability. I've also had a SS watch with sapphire crystal on my wrist almost every day for the past 11 years and it still looks great (some scuffs on the bottom of link band, but no scratches on the crystal).

All that being said, I do see a few applications for Apple watch cases. One is for customizations, especially for children. The other is to make it more water resistant/proof (boating, swimming, triathlons, etc).

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
The sapphire is not going to break. I've said this to others and I'll say it again, but in over 7 years of wearing a watch with sapphire crystal, I've never broken it, cracked or even scratched it. I've fallen off my bike, been hit by cars (while riding a bike), and tossed around in many oceans into rocks and otherwise, all while wearing it. Not a scratch.

Not that the Apple watch is all that beautiful, but seriously man, don't put a case on a watch. That's a joke. Every single scratch you put on the case is part of the watch's character. Watches are meant to be worn, not babied.

For you a case might not be needed, however has anyone thought of how force touch works? wouldn't the crystal have to be a lot thinner than a normal crystal in order to deform for force touch ( as shown in apple watch video). Now it has been reported that sapphire glass is more scratch resistant but breaks easier than ionx, also the crystal is domed, so the bezel isn't going to offer any protection to the crystal.

I work at a steel mill, and though I am not too concerned with scratches there is a good potential for breaking or cracking the crystal. So a case would postpone having to buy another sooner than later:D

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
But your argument makes no sense. The watch isn't going to look spiffy with a case on it. It looks ugly. What are you keeping it pretty underneath for?

And also, believe me, it isn't going to get THAT scratched up. And even if it does, get it polished out. Problem solved and you weren't early some ugly rubber bumper on your wrist.

I'm with Grumpymom, I'm 57 and was wearing watches probably long before you were even a thought ! this is a tech forum to discuss views and thoughts, not a place for closed minds, to insult and harass based on their beliefs. If you don't think cases look good, then don't buy one, As for me I like the looks of some of them, and working where I do it may postpone buying another sooner than later;)

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Translation: This is a tech forum to discuss and view thoughts, except yours. All opinions except those to the contrary are welcome here.

I'm with Grumpymom, I'm 57 and was wearing watches probably long before you were even a thought ! this is a tech forum to discuss views and thoughts, not a place for closed minds, to insult and harass based on their beliefs. If you don't think cases look good, then don't buy one, As for me I like the looks of some of them, and working where I do it may postpone buying another sooner than later;)

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
As someone said before in some thread, it is the equivalent of putting plastics over your sofa's... in full public view...

Well in that case I think that all car companies should remove the protective coating over the paint, after all why worry about scratches or rust, you will be upgrading it in a few years anyway! I really can't wait for the thread about crystal breakage. Apparently many of the people here don't do manual labor and will not have this problem:rolleyes:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
But your argument makes no sense. The watch isn't going to look spiffy with a case on it. It looks ugly. What are you keeping it pretty underneath for?

And also, believe me, it isn't going to get THAT scratched up. And even if it does, get it polished out. Problem solved and you weren't early some ugly rubber bumper on your wrist.

Because I will take the case off after I am done with my work. I'm not leaving the case on when I get dressed up to go out.

The case snaps on for the yard work, snaps off when I'm done. Sorry, I thought I'd specified that in my post but it must have been another post I made on this case. (Just checked...I DID specify. You must have stopped reading, I don't blame you, I am verbose.)

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Oh about taking it for polishing...husband and I are in the "sandwich generation". That means not only are we caring for our own kids and pets, we have elderly parents on his side and mine to run to medical appointments. For awhile there was even my 100 year old Gran to consider.

We have errands about town to do. Sports and lessons for children. Grocery shopping. Work inside and outside the home. Spending time on this forum is a fun thing to do once in awhile, sitting here pontificating to strangers is not my normal routine. If I can wear a case for the few hours I need to keep the watch from getting dinged and save myself yet another errand, why wouldn't I?

I've got an armoire full of Quartz watches I can't be bothered to get new batteries for. I just wear the solars or the kinetics these days. There is no way I'm going to drop by the jeweler to get this polished. I'm a child of the 80's. I wore cute funky guard on my Swatch. It won't kill my dignity to wear a case in my smart watch while working around stone and concrete.

Last edited:

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
The difference is, that's a clear coating. I don't know if you've got it on your car or not. I'm still seeing the car.

If that coating was a foam bumper for the car, I'd call that ridiculous.

Well in that case I think that all car companies should remove the protective coating over the paint, after all why worry about scratches or rust, you will be upgrading it in a few years anyway! I really can't wait for the thread about crystal breakage. Apparently many of the people here don't do manual labor and will not have this problem:rolleyes:

----------

You're not polishing your watch every week. I've been wearing the same watch for 4 years now, with no protection, doing all the things I've mentioned over and over again, and I've yet to take it in for a polishing. The watch and the bracelet are stainless steel, and from a foot away, it looks brand new.

Oh about taking it for polishing...husband and I are in the "sandwich generation". That means not only are we caring for our own kids and pets, we have elderly parents on his side and mine to run to medical appointments. For awhile there was even my 100 year old Gran to consider.

We have errands about town to do. Sports and lessons for children. Grocery shopping. Work inside and outside the home. Spending time on this forum is a fun thing to do once in awhile, sitting here pontificating to strangers is not my normal routine. If I can wear a case for the few hours I need to keep the watch from getting dinged and save myself yet another errand, why wouldn't I?

I've got an armoire full of Quartz watches I can't be bothered to get new batteries for. I just wear the solars or the kinetics these days. There is no way I'm going to drop by the jeweler to get this polished. I'm a child of the 80's. I wore cute funky guard on my Swatch. It won't kill my dignity to wear a case in my smart watch while working around stone and concrete.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thats a conventional watch, I'd assume. This thing is going to be huge on my wrist. I work with and around stone and concrete. The case is only about $15. I'm getting it. Nobody will be pointing and laughing because nobody will see it.

If I end up having allergies to the alloy I'll also get a clear case so I can wear the watch without getting a contact rash. Again, doubtful anyone will be able to see it unless they stare really hard at my wrist.

If I want to make a quirky fashion statement I'll get one in a funky color. Again, highly doubtful anyone will be pointing and laughing any worse than they do at people wearing Fitbits or Motorola watches. They didn't point and laugh at the crazy things we did to Swatches back in the day. Besides, I see people running around in public in their pajamas, or with their jeans hanging half down to the ground (will that trend ever die, it's been going on for years now). Or their hair buzzed bald on one side and colored metallic blue on the edges. A little bit of plastic on a watch that looks weird to most people anyway isn't going to amount to much in public anyway.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Thats a conventional watch, I'd assume. This thing is going to be huge on my wrist. I work with and around stone and concrete. The case is only about $15. I'm getting it. Nobody will be pointing and laughing because nobody will see it.

If I end up having allergies to the alloy I'll also get a clear case so I can wear the watch without getting a contact rash. Again, doubtful anyone will be able to see it unless they stare really hard at my wrist.

If I want to make a quirky fashion statement I'll get one in a funky color. Again, highly doubtful anyone will be pointing and laughing any worse than they do at people wearing Fitbits or Motorola watches. They didn't point and laugh at the crazy things we did to Swatches back in the day. Besides, I see people running around in public in their pajamas, or with their jeans hanging half down to the ground (will that trend ever die, it's been going on for years now). Or their hair buzzed bald on one side and colored metallic blue on the edges. A little bit of plastic on a watch that looks weird to most people anyway isn't going to amount to much in public anyway.

There is no release/ship date for the Spigen cases on their site. However on Amazon UK it says June 29th. That's two months after the watch release. I'm not sure if I can wait that long. In those two months the watch is likely to pick up scratches and nicks.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
A case for a watch.... No no no .... Yes it will scratch, but watches do , it's part of thier charm

----------

Put a case on a watch, and you will look special :)

or like my watch is a different color every time someone else sees it.

Last edited:

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
It's a stainless steel watch, polished outer case, and polished center links on the bracelet. Do what you think, but I think it's beyond silly to put an ugly rubber case on A. Any watch, and B. A watch that'll likely be praised for it's design.

If I was Jonathan Ive and I ever met a person who covered up my beautiful design with an ugly case, I'd be sickened and insulted by it.

----------

Probably it'll be a mangled mess by then! With air being like sandpaper these days, and all those diamonds you'll be rubbing up against, who could even predict what it'll look like by then!

There is no release/ship date for the Spigen cases on their site. However on Amazon UK it says June 29th. That's two months after the watch release. I'm not sure if I can wait that long. In those two months the watch is likely to pick up scratches and nicks.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It's a stainless steel watch, polished outer case, and polished center links on the bracelet. Do what you think, but I think it's beyond silly to put an ugly rubber case on A. Any watch, and B. A watch that'll likely be praised for it's design.

If I was Jonathan Ive and I ever met a person who covered up my beautiful design with an ugly case, I'd be sickened by it.

----------

Probably it'll be a mangled mess by then! With air being like sandpaper these days, and all those diamonds you'll be rubbing up against, who could even predict what it'll look like by then!

You're trolling again. I don't see why you need to be so obnoxious and down right immature. We all know how you feel. That's your opinion. It's not one shared by me and obviously there are others who feel the same way as me.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I guess I felt like also being ridiculous :)

You're trolling again. I don't see why you need to be so obnoxious and down right immature. We all know how you feel. That's your opinion. It's not one shared by me and obviously there are others who feel the same way as me.

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
Oh it's absolutely a joke. Imagine a person putting a case protector on a Rolex. Or a Patek Philippe.
Believe it or not, i know a guy that keeps his nice watch in the safe, which i think is actually worse then using a case. He never wears it, he's too afraid it will scratch or damage it. The watch i'm talking about is a Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk which is a pretty hardcore diver's watch with a 1000m rating.
He only wears his cheap Seiko (not that there's anything wrong with a Seiko, i love them, actually).

He thinks i'm crazy because i like to wear my nicer watches all the time (last weekend i detailed my car wearing my grail: A.L&S). :)

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
But in all seriousness, I enjoy the back and forth. I really think you're being ridiculous in the thinking that in a month or two your phone is going to be full of dents, knicks and scratches. Ive isn't stupid, and I'm sure the alloy they're using is meant to withstand daily wear - it is after all, a watch. Speaking from my own experience, in 2 months time, you might notice A scratch, unless you plan to repeatedly smash your wrist into hard surfaces, or you plan on reaching into bags full of diamonds on a regular basis, your watch is going to be fine. And like I said, worst case scenario, get it polished out. The watch is already thicker than would be considered ideal, why not enjoy the design and see how it goes before making it ugly out of a desire to protect something that's a lot stronger than you think it is?

----------

I ride bikes, go on vacation with and do everything I'd normally do, never stopping to remove my watch, also my grail, a SS Rolex Daytona :)

Believe it or not, i know a guy that keeps his nice watch in the safe, which i think is actually worse then using a case. He never wears it, he's too afraid it will scratch or damage it. The watch i'm talking about is a Girard-Perregaux Sea Hawk which is a pretty hardcore diver's watch with a 1000m rating.
He only wears his cheap Seiko (not that there's anything wrong with a Seiko, i love them, actually).

He thinks i'm crazy because i like to wear my nicer watches all the time (last weekend i detailed my car wearing my grail: A.L&S). :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Well if you're talking about a watch with the stainless steel link band, yes that would look rather peculiar with a case. The cases suit the look of sport bands better.

My plan is to get a black sport band and black protective case initially. It really would look no different from a Timex sport watch I had if configured like that. I'll be getting a leather band later on...a few weeks after release date. Edit to add: no, I won't be wearing the case combined with the leather band. The leather band won't be going out for the yard work.

It's a bummer if the case won't be available soon, but case wasn't part of my original vision anyway; I was trusting my leather work gloves to offer some protection. But I was glad to discover such a thing as the case exists as it is a solid backup option.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Thought about it but not seeing point in spending that much for something that can possibly be outdated in few years or worst in a year.
That's why I'm playing safe and getting sport so I can upgrade to gen2 if they comes out with it

I'm doing the same for those reasons. But I do think that a case isn't a bad idea since it's not a regular watch. Plus as someone else said it's good for another layer of customization, also it helps with giving the watch the color wanted if it's not available.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
Well, how about a mountain biking in a rainy day?

The watch will be water resistant, no need to fear the rain. Swimming, no? But I believe Tim Cook mentioned he wore his in the shower.

I certainly plan to wear mine while biking and will be shocked if rain/sweat are a problem (I keep my iPhone in my pocket while I ride, but do use a small plastic ziplock when it is really hot/raining).

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
The watch will be water resistant, no need to fear the rain. Swimming, no? But I believe Tim Cook mentioned he wore his in the shower.

I certainly plan to wear mine while biking and will be shocked if rain/sweat are a problem (I keep my iPhone in my pocket while I ride, but do use a small plastic ziplock when it is really hot/raining).

But it aint slippery rock resistant :D.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
But it aint slippery rock resistant :D.

I try to spend at least 5 hours a week in the woods on my bike, if I slip on a rock and hit my wrist hard enough to break the sapphire, I suspect the $600 broken watch will be the least of my worries, and who knows, it may even protect my wrist from the hard object it struck.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
I try to spend at least 5 hours a week in the woods on my bike, if I slip on a rock and hit my wrist hard enough to break the sapphire, I suspect the $600 broken watch will be the least of my worries, and who knows, it may even protect my wrist from the hard object it struck.

Of course. Health comes first.

Now once you realized that you are fine, brushed your self off, got back home, took a shower, put on your night clothes, and got in bed....

Oh right, now you have a $600 broken piece of tech, that maybe that would have been fine as well if it had a $20 case on it.

:rolleyes::apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.