Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
Yes, I would be very upset if I broke my $600 watch, my $750 phone or my $1000 wheels. There is no way to avoid breaking expensive stuff when you mountain bike and I suspect a sapphire watch face is the least of my worries -- main worry is something stealing my bike ;).

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
Yes, I would be very upset if I broke my $600 watch, my $750 phone or my $1000 wheels. There is no way to avoid breaking expensive stuff when you mountain bike and I suspect a sapphire watch face is the least of my worries -- main worry is something stealing my bike ;).

So are you saying even though you would be upset if your broke your expensive tech from mountain biking that it still wouldn't be worth it to put something on them to protect from breaking? I would have gotten an otter box for my phone immediately.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Why not just get an Android phone then? Android's caught up to iOS in terms of user experience (and in some cases, moved past it), and the phones are already cheap and gross looking.

So are you saying even though you would be upset if your broke your expensive tech from mountain biking that it still wouldn't be worth it to put something on them to protect from breaking? I would have gotten an otter box for my phone immediately.

sterl320

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2015
Why not just get an Android phone then? Android's caught up to iOS in terms of user experience (and in some cases, moved past it), and the phones are already cheap and gross looking.

This is all hypothetical.

The only thing that I'm trying to say is that I don't see the big deal in putting a case on the watch if you plan & doing rigorous activity while wearing it.

But its to each his own. iF you don't mind scratches or dents and stuff, or if you don't think your watch will get them, then don't get a case.

I personally will be getting those spigen case skins in champagne & black for my Apple Sport. Along side the bands, the customization on the watch would be real cool.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
So are you saying even though you would be upset if your broke your expensive tech from mountain biking that it still wouldn't be worth it to put something on them to protect from breaking?

Right, that is what I'm saying. It isn't just the price of the case, it is the hassle of putting it on and off, etc. The only way I could see getting any kind of case is if I wanted to use it kayaking or swimming and there was a case that made it more water resistant. The risk of damage won't motivate me to get a case, but the guarantee of damage if I choose to use it that way might.

----------

But its to each his own. iF you don't mind scratches or dents and stuff, or if you don't think your watch will get them, then don't get a case.

I've worn the same SS watch with sapphire crystal almost everyday for 11 years and it still looks awesome. One of the reason I buy Apple products is because they are durable, I love that I don't have to put a case on my iPhone, iPad or MacBook to keep it looking new until I'm ready to sell it.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Fair enough, but just to re-iterate, I don't think the watch won't get nicks, dents and scratches. I know.

This is all hypothetical.

The only thing that I'm trying to say is that I don't see the big deal in putting a case on the watch if you plan & doing rigorous activity while wearing it.

I personally will be getting those spigen case skins in champagne & black for my Apple Sport. Along side the bands, the customization on the watch would be real cool.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Apple Car Sports model drivers

plastic-wrapped-car.jpg

AleXXXa

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2015
I ride bikes, go on vacation with and do everything I'd normally do, never stopping to remove my watch, also my grail, a SS Rolex Daytona :)
Nice! Rolex makes great sport watches, they're very robust and it would be a shame not to wear them in daily activities.

You should be careful wearing your Rolex (or other well known brand like Omega) in vacations. I've seen a guy getting robbed in Guatemala. He was wearing a Submariner hommage lol. :(
When i travel in high crime countries i always wear a cheapie (Casio, Orient, Seiko) or a watch from an unknown brand (like Nomos). Or my GrandSeiko, noobies think it's just a $60 Seiko. :)

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Nice! Rolex makes great sport watches, they're very robust and it would be a shame not to wear them in daily activities.

You should be careful wearing your Rolex (or other well known brand like Omega) in vacations. I've seen a guy getting robbed in Guatemala. He was wearing a Submariner hommage lol. :(
When i travel in high crime countries i always wear a cheapie (Casio, Orient, Seiko) or a watch from an unknown brand (like Nomos). Or my GrandSeiko, noobies think it's just a $60 Seiko. :)

I would take all of these stories with a pinch of salt tbh. I find it quite funny how, in these discussions, almost everybody owns a rolex!

Back on topic - I see no point in a case. A screen protector, yes (although given the shape it would probably have to be wet-apply), and custom straps, yes. But a case?! Why!

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Work a physical job, and have extreme hobbies, plus I will be getting on the yearly upgrade train, and reselling this when the new one comes out. . Bet your *** I'm getting a case for mine. I will still find a way to shatter it in no time. Only G shocks have survived me so far.

sahilpatel12

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Merica
Work a physical job, and have extreme hobbies, plus I will be getting on the yearly upgrade train, and reselling this when the new one comes out. . Bet your *** I'm getting a case for mine. I will still find a way to shatter it in no time. Only G shocks have survived me so far.

exactly what i mean there's just so many ignorant people in here that just want to hate it. i dont want to put a case but working on physical jobs that has so many chances of getting shatter or whatever the case is. its not like there only gonna come out with 20 dollar cases?????? when first iphone came out there we only those tpu cases and slim ones and then came those hard rock solid ones. im sure we could see harder and stronger cases for watch.

if you want to rant about it, please do so somewhere else i had this thread up for people like me and him that would like to see or get cases for OUR WATCHES AND NOT YOURS.

IF YOU DONT HAVE WATER TO EXTINGUISH A FIRE THEN PLEASE DONT ADD GAS TO IT.:)
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.