Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Maybe this isn't the problem, but I have noticed that rotating your wrist to see and then use the screen for a while is an unusual motion. Not a problem for the glance required for a normal watch, but keeping it there seems to use muscles I haven't discovered before.

apocalyarts

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Second that. Feeling a pain in my shoulder and I'm guessing it's because of the unusal motion of raising the arm.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Maybe this isn't the problem, but I have noticed that rotating your wrist to see and then use the screen for a while is an unusual motion. Not a problem for the glance required for a normal watch, but keeping it there seems to use muscles I haven't discovered before.

Second that. Feeling a pain in my shoulder and I'm guessing it's because of the unusal motion of raising the arm.

I wish it was that. I tried this also and consciously didn't look at the watch very often for a few days but still the same pain. I hope it works out for you.

Haribokart

Suspended
Sep 4, 2010
UK
I wish it was that. I tried this also and consciously didn't look at the watch very often for a few days but still the same pain. I hope it works out for you.
How is this now?

I have had a 38mm Space Grey Sport since launch and had no issues, gf kindly got me a 38mm stainless steel with the Apple link band for Christmas - having it either tight or loose gives me a dull ache in the lower part of my arm. Not pain, just ever so slight discomfort. I don't find the watch heavy or unpleasant on the skin so am hoping it's just an adjustment period.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Many are wearing in too tight as they believe the sensors are less effective if its loose.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
How is this now?

I have had a 38mm Space Grey Sport since launch and had no issues, gf kindly got me a 38mm stainless steel with the Apple link band for Christmas - having it either tight or loose gives me a dull ache in the lower part of my arm. Not pain, just ever so slight discomfort. I don't find the watch heavy or unpleasant on the skin so am hoping it's just an adjustment period.

I had to return all my apple watch variants as the pain continued, I think I have some sort of internal reaction to the materials used so unfortunately am using normal watches now.

May try apple watch 2 which is due to be released in April.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Dear all,

Just to let you know I went through the Apple Watch saga with Series 1 trying out every combo of face / band but the pain just remained in my left arm / elbow/ shoulder.

1.5 years later, I yesterday got the series 2 Nike+ edition in the hope that I could finally have one. Unfortunately same pain within 12 hours - hand, wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder.

The apple watch simply doesn't agree with a small minority of people and causes aches and pains which can't properly be diagnosed.

Back to apple store at lunch to get a refund and No more apple watches for me until they have a re-design and potentially change the material.

I would like to note I really do love the device and am upset that I cant keep it!

Reactions: Finn Mertens

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Dear all,

Just to let you know I went through the Apple Watch saga with Series 1 trying out every combo of face / band but the pain just remained in my left arm / elbow/ shoulder.

1.5 years later, I yesterday got the series 2 Nike+ edition in the hope that I could finally have one. Unfortunately same pain within 12 hours - hand, wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder.

The apple watch simply doesn't agree with a small minority of people and causes aches and pains which can't properly be diagnosed.

Back to apple store at lunch to get a refund and No more apple watches for me until they have a re-design and potentially change the material.

I would like to note I really do love the device and am upset that I cant keep it!
I'm sorry it must be so frustrating to experience this. I still get pain aggravated by the watch if I'm already hurting but I don't think it ever initiates the pain. Thank you for updating us.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Just to be clear you can wear a watch without pain just not an apple watch?

Dear all,

nannf

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
I just received an Apple watch for Christmas and it causes me pain in my arm. AND

1. I'm not wearing it too tight
2. I work out and it is not from the repetitive motion of lifting my arm
3. I switched to my right arm and it's better but still happens
4. I do not have carpel tunnel and I don't even sit behind a computer very often
5. I have worn watches many times before without issue

I have not tried other bands or anything to alleviate it but I am going to start troubleshooting.... Just wanted to chime in that this is not a made-up issue.

Reactions: 5105973

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
I just received an Apple watch for Christmas and it causes me pain in my arm. AND

1. I'm not wearing it too tight
2. I work out and it is not from the repetitive motion of lifting my arm
3. I switched to my right arm and it's better but still happens
4. I do not have carpel tunnel and I don't even sit behind a computer very often
5. I have worn watches many times before without issue

I have not tried other bands or anything to alleviate it but I am going to start troubleshooting.... Just wanted to chime in that this is not a made-up issue.

You have worn watches before, but when you looked at those watches, it was only for a momentary glance. Your new Apple Watch causes you to raise your arm, turn the watch towards your face and then hold that position while you play around with it, and then repeat this action many times per day. That's what is different. You're using different muscles in a new way. That'll make them sore for a while, until you build strength and get used to it. It's nothing to worry about.

erasr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
Do you guys ever consider the fact you've got Bluetooth on your skin all day? It emits radiation. I'm not scaremonger or hypercondreact but there's some train of thought that says continued Bluetooth contact can be dangerous...

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
I started getting a pain and numbness along my left thumb, which felt like a nerve issue, and that was the hand arm I wore the Apple Watch on (42mm SB w/SP link band). Dr. thought the watch might be crimping a nerve so, had me change the watch to my right hand. No real difference, but, I've later gotten a black sport band, now a black leather band, as those bands give a little, and aren't so tight.

Unfortunately...I still have the pain, so, not sure due to watch or not...

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Sorry to resurrect a few months old thread, but I thought someone here might have an idea...

I've owned Apple Watch since launch day (April 2015). Originally owned a 38mm stainless steel and never had an issue with wrist pain.

Also own a 42mm sport, which I've had since may 2016 and again, never an issue.

Ever since owning the Series 2 42mm stainless steel watch my left wrist absolutely kills after a few days of wearing it. I mean it hurts so much that it can't be moved without extreme pain, or even change gears in a car without it hurting. But if I switch wrists, the the problem is completely gone within 3 days. I've had the same issue with the right side too, but far less frequently than the left.

My other 2 watches were always worn on the left wrist, and without any issue.

The only thing I can think of thats different with my new watch is that it weighs more. Being a 42mm it weighs more than both the 38mm SS Gen 1 and the 42mm Sport (40g and 30g respectively).

S2 SS 42mm weighs 52.4g. Now this doesn't seem like a massive difference on paper, and I've worn watches heavier than this in the past (like a 45mm AX watch) so I wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on the cause?

Any insight at all is appreciated, as my only action at this point is to downgrade to the Aluminium S2 watch instead, which is a shame since I love the SS.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry to resurrect a few months old thread, but I thought someone here might have an idea...

I've owned Apple Watch since launch day (April 2015). Originally owned a 38mm stainless steel and never had an issue with wrist pain.

Ever since owning the Series 2 42mm stainless steel watch my left wrist absolutely kills after a few days of wearing it. I mean it hurts so much that it can't be moved without extreme pain, or even change gears in a car without it hurting. But if I switch wrists, the the problem is completely gone within 3 days. I've had the same issue with the right side too, but far less frequently than the left.

The only thing I can think of thats different with my new watch is that it weighs more. Being a 42mm it weighs more than both the 38mm SS Gen 1 and the 42mm Sport (40g and 30g respectively).

S2 SS 42mm weighs 52.4g. Now this doesn't seem like a massive difference on paper, and I've worn watches heavier than this in the past (like a 45mm AX watch) so I wondered if anyone here has any thoughts on the cause?

Any insight at all is appreciated, as my only action at this point is to downgrade to the Aluminium S2 watch instead, which is a shame since I love the SS.

Go see a doctor. I wore a solid gold Rolex for years and it actually damaged the sheath surrounding the tendon that operates my thumb and has to have surgery. If it keeps happening. stop wearing the device. It is not really worth it.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015

I agree with the recommendation to see a doctor. But just curious, are you using a different watch band? Is the watch band tight?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015

A physician visit is probably a good idea. My guess is that it's still a behavioral issue. The new watch might have apps or capabilities that cause you to interact with it more often or differently. Twelve grams of additional weight isn't likely to cause excruciating pain. An app that has you contorting your arm in new and unusual ways might.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Do you ever consider that the sun comes up every day? It emits radiation.

This isn't a valid comparison. Proximity to the source of the radiation plays a big part in exposure. Taking your example, the closer to the sun you go, the more powerful its effects are.

With the Apple Watch, having a WiFi & Bluetooth transmitter strapped to your wrist transmitting is different than being in a room with a Bluetooth / WiFi device. The signal is more powerful at its source than at a distance. Therefore, exposure is higher.

Whether its harmful to your health if not is still an unanswered question (like mobile phone radiation). Current research says inconclusive.

Reactions: 5105973

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....Proximity to the source of the radiation plays a big part in exposure. Taking your example, the closer to the sun you go, the more powerful its effects are.....
FUD analogy since proximity is irrelevant because it is the actual number of photons and there energy level (wavelength) that actually reaches you that matters. Also it should be correctly called electromagnetic radiation and not just radiation since the word radiation has several definitions and to most people it is ONLY associated with ionizing radiation (bad kind) or high energy particles/externally short wavelengths/high frequency/Ultra Violet and higer (DNA altering/cancer causing). Even saying electromagnetic radiation still sounds ominous to most people. We should all be required to say "Turn on the electromagnetic radiation switch" (instead of light switch). Or 2 people shared intimate thermal radiation (another type of radiation) while having sex. Neither of which are ionizing radiation (the bad kind).

EDIT: Just to add a WiFi router's output is about 100mW (0.1 Watts) and the :apple:Watch's WiFi would be a small fraction of that. Probably under 10mW (0.01 Watts). A microwave oven is usually about 1000 Watts and in a focused/directed beam.

Here is a very good paper explaining the Sun compared to a WiFi router:

http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013...-cant-and-how-microwave-ovens-cook-your-food/

Last edited:

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
This isn't a valid comparison. Proximity to the source of the radiation plays a big part in exposure. Taking your example, the closer to the sun you go, the more powerful its effects are.

With the Apple Watch, having a WiFi & Bluetooth transmitter strapped to your wrist transmitting is different than being in a room with a Bluetooth / WiFi device. The signal is more powerful at its source than at a distance. Therefore, exposure is higher.

Whether its harmful to your health if not is still an unanswered question (like mobile phone radiation). Current research says inconclusive.

Julien beat me to it. It's not just proximity. It's also type of radiation and how much of it is coming from the source. Have you ever had a sunburn or known someone who had a sunburn? That's happening 93 million miles from the source. How can that be?

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
FUD analogy since proximity is irrelevant because it is the actual number of photons and there energy level (wavelength) that actually reaches you that matters. Also it should be correctly called electromagnetic radiation and not just radiation since the word radiation has several definitions and to most people it is ONLY associated with ionizing radiation (bad kind) or high energy particles/externally short wavelengths/high frequency/Ultra Violet and higer (DNA altering/cancer causing). Even saying electromagnetic radiation still sounds ominous to most people. We should all be required to say "Turn on the electromagnetic radiation switch" (instead of light switch). Or 2 people shared intimate thermal radiation (another type of radiation) while having sex. Neither of which are ionizing radiation (the bad kind).

EDIT: Just to add a WiFi router's output is about 100mW (0.1 Watts) and the :apple:Watch's WiFi would be a small fraction of that. Probably under 10mW (0.01 Watts). A microwave oven is usually about 1000 Watts and in a focused/directed beam.

Here is a very good paper explaining the Sun compared to a WiFi router:

http://www.atomsandnumbers.com/2013...-cant-and-how-microwave-ovens-cook-your-food/

Not FUD. Distance from source (proximity) does factor into exposure levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.