Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
Haven't spoken to apple yet but wonder what they would realistically do?!

Geez man, are you serious?
Pain in any part of your body is a healthcare issue.
If you are concerned about it go and talk to a doctor.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Neurosis is a class of functional mental disorders involving distress but neither delusions nor hallucinations. Neurotic behavior is typically within socially acceptable limits.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
I also think the most likely cause is the domed sensor bulge on the watch case back as being the culprit, especially if a conventional flat watch causes no discomfort.

Incredibly unlikely.

----------

Sadly I had to sell the watch as the pain continued in both arms even with different straps.

The cause is either the way you are turning your arm and wrist or a neurosis. Before selling your watch, you should have seen an orthopedist and then a psych professional, in that order.

Turn your wrist as if you were going to look at the watch. Notice how muscles all the way up your arm come into play. With the watch you are looking at the display longer than you probably did with regular watches. That may have contributed.

But I think I'll put my money on a neurosis. Other than a rare allergic reaction to the metals used, there is nothing with regard to wifi or bluetooth to cause your systems. And unless you have the watch very tight, that isn't causing it either.

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
The only person who can actually diagnose the problem is your doctor. And since you didn't see one, there's no way to conclusively know what caused the problem.

hipnotizer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
You may be sensitive to EMFs. Or Electro-Magnetic Frequencies that are transmitted by electronics devices.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Some people are more sensitive to particular things than others. Most will just get a rash at the wrist, but the reaction can come in many ways.

I would remove it a day and see if it goes away. If it does then you might want to try another band.

Has there been documented cases of the watch causing pain to those with carpal tunnel?

Maybe the watch is just poorly designed with the high mounted strap creating unnecessary pressure on the tendons in your forearm from the sensor bulge. Most watches are not designed this way, so this may be new for someone used to wearing a watch.

I also think the most likely cause is the domed sensor bulge on the watch case back as being the culprit, especially if a conventional flat watch causes no discomfort.

Sorry
Did you see your doctor?

Geez man, are you serious?
Pain in any part of your body is a healthcare issue.
If you are concerned about it go and talk to a doctor.

Incredibly unlikely.

----------

The cause is either the way you are turning your arm and wrist or a neurosis. Before selling your watch, you should have seen an orthopedist and then a psych professional, in that order.

Turn your wrist as if you were going to look at the watch. Notice how muscles all the way up your arm come into play. With the watch you are looking at the display longer than you probably did with regular watches. That may have contributed.

But I think I'll put my money on a neurosis. Other than a rare allergic reaction to the metals used, there is nothing with regard to wifi or bluetooth to cause your systems. And unless you have the watch very tight, that isn't causing it either.

The only person who can actually diagnose the problem is your doctor. And since you didn't see one, there's no way to conclusively know what caused the problem.

You may be sensitive to EMFs. Or Electro-Magnetic Frequencies that are transmitted by electronics devices.

Dear all - Thanks for all your posts. Just wanted to clarify a few points for everyone's benefit :

I received the watch on Launch 42mm SS with ML. Since wearing it on my left arm developed wrist, forearm discomfort / dull aches. This continued on my right arm also. Upon removing the watch the aches / pains would go away.

I then sold the ML ( didn't wear any watch for a week and pain went away) and then tried the HOCO stainless steel band. This caused the same pain and discomfort within 30 minutes of wearing.

With both bands I tried them snug / loose which made no difference and lead me to believe it either a defective unit or the design just doesn't suit my arms / wrists.

I did speak to a doctor who could not conclusively diagnose the issue however as the pain only commenced with it on recommended I don't continue to wear it. He did mention that design and way it sat on my wrist could be pressing on some tendons / nerves but again was not 100% sure due to the device being so new.

I sold my watch two days ago and went back to my normal CK stainless steel watch I have been wearing (quite snug) for 5 years. No pain or discomfort and all back to normal.

I do feel gutted as I loved the device but obviously couldn't let the discomfort continue.

Who knows what caused the pain in the end - defective unit, wrong design, weight. The only real test would be if I buy another one to test or the sport which is a lot lighter. Either way the novelty of the device and long wait times for a new one has put me off the whole process. Guess I'll just wait for the apple watch 2.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I too have experienced this. Thought I was being shocked or something. Almost had to take off the watch. I have a friend who has also experienced the same issue, and I thought it was just me! I am very curious to what is causing this.

Not to mention, I've worn watches for about 7 years.

The shock feeling is more than likely pressure on a nerve releasing.
I have had this symptom since rupturing C6-C7.
If anything it has nothing to do with the watch itself but more on the pressure being exerted from the extenders and flexors on the nerves from the new movements. Of course in addition to the watch possibly being too tight.
Let's not forget though watched have been worn for years, now with an interactive watch not only will we be looking at it more often but holding that twisted position for much longer periods, quite possibly causing discomfort

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 221

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Dear all - Thanks for all your posts. Just wanted to clarify a few points for everyone's benefit :

I received the watch on Launch 42mm SS with ML. Since wearing it on my left arm developed wrist, forearm discomfort / dull aches. This continued on my right arm also. Upon removing the watch the aches / pains would go away.

I then sold the ML ( didn't wear any watch for a week and pain went away) and then tried the HOCO stainless steel band. This caused the same pain and discomfort within 30 minutes of wearing.

With both bands I tried them snug / loose which made no difference and lead me to believe it either a defective unit or the design just doesn't suit my arms / wrists.

I did speak to a doctor who could not conclusively diagnose the issue however as the pain only commenced with it on recommended I don't continue to wear it. He did mention that design and way it sat on my wrist could be pressing on some tendons / nerves but again was not 100% sure due to the device being so new.

I sold my watch two days ago and went back to my normal CK stainless steel watch I have been wearing (quite snug) for 5 years. No pain or discomfort and all back to normal.

I do feel gutted as I loved the device but obviously couldn't let the discomfort continue.

Who knows what caused the pain in the end - defective unit, wrong design, weight. The only real test would be if I buy another one to test or the sport which is a lot lighter. Either way the novelty of the device and long wait times for a new one has put me off the whole process. Guess I'll just wait for the apple watch 2.

Thank you for the update.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
a little update from me. i had the pain on my wrist wearing my Apple Watch Sports as well but since i upgrated to a SS model its gone! so i blame the back of the Sports watch. its a different material right?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
So, I find wearing mine is comfortable in the position just higher of the mentioned 'Wrist Knuckle' and I can comfortably pin the strap on the 7th hole on the Classic Buckle.

As a guitarist I do find though if I wear the watch with this tightness whilst playing for any length of time I get pains in the outer muscle of the arm and the abductor muscle of the hand.

To avoid this I have to have mine set on the 6th hole and allow it to float a little down towards the hand. Sorry folks that think this is the wrong way to wear a watch but it's the right way for me until there is an option for an intermediate setting between 6th and 7th hole.

Note, if I'm wearing the sports band this doesn't happen, there seems to be enough play in the shape of the band to avoid this constriction.

(mind you Rodrogo's Passacaglia from Tres Piezas does hammer the left hand muscles anyway :p)

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
a little update from me. i had the pain on my wrist wearing my Apple Watch Sports as well but since i upgrated to a SS model its gone! so i blame the back of the Sports watch. its a different material right?

Sport is plastic. SS model is zirconia. That said I find it hard to believe that made a difference.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
it burnt a circle!? thats crazy. Must have a odd allergy to the plastic resin.

Not necessarily, a brand new watch could have residue from the glue from the plastic film wrap - I know mine irritated my skin.. buffed it with my T-Shirt and didn't have any problems since.

One of the bigger problems actually might be trapped sweat. This is a pretty slick area of contact and could (as other watches might) inhibit the skin breathing and the release of that sweat.

Taking it off, washing the wrist and cleaning the back of the watch might be useful here.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
These people must be crazzzzzzzzy! Ranting on about their EMF sensitivity.

There is absolutely no way that there is any, and I mean ANY sort of EMF, radiation, or electronics related to the Apple Watch that might physically upset a certain percantage of consumers.

You are wearing it wrong.
You bought it wrong.
You are wrong.

/sarcasm. :eek:

(I bet we hear more about this issue in the future)

shayneox

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2015
Songtan South Korea
me too

I have not received my watch yet, but I have had the same issue as you with other watches, A Casio G-Shock and a Seiko. I ended up not wearing watches for years, which sucked as I love time pieces. The problem went away about 2 years ago, when I started walking more and getting a little bit healthier.

The issue had lasted me about 2 years, which was when I was the laziest. So I think my health actually caused it. Your case most likely is totally different. But I thought I would share what I think caused my issue. Be it circulatory or something. I am 5’9” male at 244 lbs.

paulmoscow

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
After two months wearing my Apple watch I got dull pain in my shoulder. It slowly progressed from mild to quite uncomfortable. It seems the watch can affect some nerves or blood vessels.

Today I moved my watch to the right wrist, will see if it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.