Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Thanks for your post. I wonder what it could be. Must be something to do with the wireless signals constantly being so close to the hand / wrist although it seems as if its only effecting a minority like ourselves. I was hoping a different band might help tackle the problem but haven't got one to test at the moment.

For info I have now tried on both arms and start getting a dull pain / discomfort from the wrist all the way to my elbow within about 30 mins of wearing it!

It's definitely not the WiFi/Bluetooth. Otherwise you'd notice pain in your hip too, or where ever you keep your iPhone.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
If someone is concerned about radiation (not a neurosis), just shut of WIFI

Bluetooth will definitely not harm you, and the watch times out very quickly to ultra low power. This way your safe; even from a tin foil hat threat. :D

I won't use Wifi up close. I'm not really afraid of Cell, but I am of WiFI. The way it makes the phone heat up when i'm up/downloading. I don't know any details, just don't need the stress.

The good thing is that even if there was some cooking going on, it would have to be for an extended period. The Watch will not do that.

That idiotic NYT article isn't doing anyone any favors. They even toned that thing down, if you can believe it.

Last edited:

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
After having the watch for nearly 3 weeks now and trying various methods of wearing the band I have put the issue down to the Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop combination. It's must be something to do with the way the case and band sits on your wrist and possibly the strength of the magnet as there are others with similar problems :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7026458?start=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7029361?start=45&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7019855

I appreciate this is not effecting everyone but as many others with the issues report the same problem it seems for some of us unlucky ones this combo wont work.

I am now going to wait for my sport band to come and get rid of the ML and if the problem still persists will unfortunately have to sell the device despite really loving its functionality.

For your information today I have not worn my AW and have got on my previous usual timepiece and the pain as instantly gone with no odd sensations from my wrist to elbow!

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I know this is going to sound wierd but the first thing I thought of when I read your post is how when doing squats I used to get numb forearms and hands. A little pain and some numbness, this is because the bar is placed incorrectly or where it pinches some nerves.

What I am wondering is do you have your watch placed too tightly? or is it just a bit too loose that when you position your arms throughout the day it perhaps presses down on where the nerves are in your forearms? What do you do for work?

Perhaps the face of the AW is just pressing into those nerves when you contract your hand throughout the day. I know you wore watches before, but this one likely fits differently on your arm, dominating more square footage so to speak.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
I know this is going to sound wierd but the first thing I thought of when I read your post is how when doing squats I used to get numb forearms and hands. A little pain and some numbness, this is because the bar is placed incorrectly or where it pinches some nerves.

What I am wondering is do you have your watch placed too tightly? or is it just a bit too loose that when you position your arms throughout the day it perhaps presses down on where the nerves are in your forearms? What do you do for work?

Perhaps the face of the AW is just pressing into those nerves when you contract your hand throughout the day. I know you wore watches before, but this one likely fits differently on your arm, dominating more square footage so to speak.

Hi - Thanks for your post. I tried the AW with ML in different positions both tight and loose and unfortunately none seemed to resolve the issue over the 3 weeks. The only genuine relief I would get was when I took the watch off at the end of the day!

The truth is your explanation maybe spot on and the AW design and square footage may be pinching a nerve and causing the sensation up my wrist and arm but I'm not giving up yet. I have just come back from the a local CEX and sold the Milanese Loop and will now wait for the my sport band order to arrive at the end of the month. That will be a true test to see if its the watch or strap combo that has caused me discomfort.

As mentioned earlier I've had my normal round watch since this morning and the pain in the wrist area / arm is virtually non existent.

Its a shame that I have had to take these steps as the AW is fantastic and useful device but it may just not suit some "Wrists & Arms" and will force me to sell on if not the issue continue.

Karnicopia

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2015
The fact that your other arm doesn't feel the same discomfort is really interesting. To me that rules out any reaction to the materials and electronics. If you were having a reaction on one arm you should have it on the other. I would really look into if it's triggering carpal or some nerve blood flow issue in your left hand. If you are putting the same watch on both arms in the same fashion with similar usage the difference is likely in your wrists as the other variables are fairly constant. The other thing could be how you wear it but it sounds like you tested that thoroughly already.

gmann21133

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2015
Texas
After having the watch for nearly 3 weeks now and trying various methods of wearing the band I have put the issue down to the Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop combination. It's must be something to do with the way the case and band sits on your wrist and possibly the strength of the magnet as there are others with similar problems :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7026458?start=15&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7029361?start=45&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7019855

I appreciate this is not effecting everyone but as many others with the issues report the same problem it seems for some of us unlucky ones this combo wont work.

I am now going to wait for my sport band to come and get rid of the ML and if the problem still persists will unfortunately have to sell the device despite really loving its functionality.

For your information today I have not worn my AW and have got on my previous usual timepiece and the pain as instantly gone with no odd sensations from my wrist to elbow!

I'm going to go with the magnet. I faintly recall people selling some type of holistic magnetic bracelets back in the late 70's and early 80's, and I think problems like yours were recorded for some people that had them.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
I'm going to go with the magnet. I faintly recall people selling some type of holistic magnetic bracelets back in the late 70's and early 80's, and I think problems like yours were recorded for some people that had them.

That's an interesting fact and could make a lot of sense for people like myself who have been experiencing these issues. As mentioned it obviously doesn't effect everyone but there some of us out there who have had similar issues. Appreciate the insight.

Just have to wait for the sport band now which is quite annoying.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
The fact that your other arm doesn't feel the same discomfort is really interesting. To me that rules out any reaction to the materials and electronics. If you were having a reaction on one arm you should have it on the other. I would really look into if it's triggering carpal or some nerve blood flow issue in your left hand. If you are putting the same watch on both arms in the same fashion with similar usage the difference is likely in your wrists as the other variables are fairly constant. The other thing could be how you wear it but it sounds like you tested that thoroughly already.

I did still feel some wrist pain in the other arm but not as intense as the left so not sure what that means. It may be the magnet or just the way that band and case combo sat. Feel a bit frustrated with the whole thing but doesn't matter now as the ML band is sold. Just hope I don't have to sell the watch as well :confused:

AdamInKent

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Kent, England
WiFi is lower power than mobile phone signals

I'm not really afraid of Cell, but I am of WiFI. The way it makes the phone heat up when i'm up/downloading. I don't know any details, just don't need the stress.

You're concerns are the wrong way around. Cell signals are more powerful than WiFi. (They have to be able to reach a cell mast which is probably much further away from your phone than your home Wi-Fi router is).

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I thought I was going mad until I saw a similar post on the apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7026458

Please see the post from Mstattedcanvas on page 1.

I've had my 42mm SS ML since launch but whenever I wear it I get a dull pain in my arm, slight tingling and a bit of numbness! Don't understand it and thought I was going crazy but no someone else has posted a similar thing.

Has anyone experienced this with any of there AW's?

Another post : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7029361

Sounds like a medical issue. Did you consult your doctor about your symptoms?

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Could the pain be a result of exposure to a (potentially defective?) WiFi or Bluetooth antenna in the watch?

Edit--Oops didn't read/realize this was asked 20x already. Anyone know any recent authoritative academic sources on the potential health effects of wifi or bluetooth?

Could the sensor that lets it know its on your wrist be causing the sensations?

I've also long wondered if sensors or trackpads or touchscreens could, over long-term durations, harm one's health. There must be some consequence, however small, to constantly running current through one's cells, using ones fingers to complete circuits.

Last edited:

Javabird

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
Sounds like a medical issue. Did you consult your doctor about your symptoms?

There have been quite a few posts asking this question. It would be great if someone having these symptoms would see a doctor and share what they find out.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
There have been quite a few posts asking this question. It would be great if someone having these symptoms would see a doctor and share what they find out.

Are there any MDs on the boards that could chime in on the issues?

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
If someone is concerned about radiation (not a neurosis), just shut of WIFI

Bluetooth will definitely not harm you, and the watch times out very quickly to ultra low power. This way your safe; even from a tin foil hat threat. :D

I won't use Wifi up close. I'm not really afraid of Cell, but I am of WiFI. The way it makes the phone heat up when i'm up/downloading. I don't know any details, just don't need the stress.

The good thing is that even if there was some cooking going on, it would have to be for an extended period. The Watch will not do that.

That idiotic NYT article isn't doing anyone any favors. They even toned that thing down, if you can believe it.

To put your mind at ease, the heating up is the constant switching of transistors as it transmits or receives data, not the radiation.

----------

I agree with this post the post the most. Having suggested it before your should check with your doctor.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
You're concerns are the wrong way around. Cell signals are more powerful than WiFi. (They have to be able to reach a cell mast which is probably much further away from your phone than your home Wi-Fi router is).

I would imagine Bluetooth is safe. That's the only thing i'm willing to assume (that may be wrong even, who knows :eek: )

It's a fear thing mostly, and a silly one.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
As in me personally? The other member from the Apple forums is also experiencing the same thing. Wonder if it could be a defective unit / strap?

Some people are more sensitive to particular things than others. Most will just get a rash at the wrist, but the reaction can come in many ways.

I would remove it a day and see if it goes away. If it does then you might want to try another band.

b3arclaw

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
Has there been documented cases of the watch causing pain to those with carpal tunnel?

wdfly

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
I thought I was going mad until I saw a similar post on the apple forums:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7026458

Please see the post from Mstattedcanvas on page 1.

I've had my 42mm SS ML since launch but whenever I wear it I get a dull pain in my arm, slight tingling and a bit of numbness! Don't understand it and thought I was going crazy but no someone else has posted a similar thing.

Has anyone experienced this with any of there AW's?

Another post : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7029361

You are wearing it so lose that it twists on your arm and actually becomes tight possibly on your wrist bones. I've seen this with one of my watches that had a link bracelet on it.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Maybe the watch is just poorly designed with the high mounted strap creating unnecessary pressure on the tendons in your forearm from the sensor bulge. Most watches are not designed this way, so this may be new for someone used to wearing a watch.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Maybe the watch is just poorly designed with the high mounted strap creating unnecessary pressure on the tendons in your forearm from the sensor bulge. Most watches are not designed this way, so this may be new for someone used to wearing a watch.

I also think the most likely cause is the domed sensor bulge on the watch case back as being the culprit, especially if a conventional flat watch causes no discomfort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.