Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
If you are referring to an allergy, the swap wouldn't make sense. Thought the Milanese Loop could be snagging a few hairs or pinching a few nerves.

To the OP, shave your wrist if it's hairy, and see if that fixes it.

I don't think its an allergy as there are no visible symptoms. Its just a uncomforting dull pain in the wrist area up to my elbow. I do have hair on my wrist but none of them appear to be pulling or anything.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
If it's not a fit issue my money is on aggravation of a previous, perhaps unnoticed injury to the wrist leading to tendonitis that you are feeling throughout the arm.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
If it's not a fit issue my money is on aggravation of a previous, perhaps unnoticed injury to the wrist leading to tendonitis that you are feeling throughout the arm.

This maybe the case - The only thing that doesn't add up is that I didn't notice it before wearing my regular watches and the symptoms only started since I started wearing the AW on the 24th April.

Either way I appreciate everyone's feedback and assistance in trying to workout what the issue is.

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
I don't think its an allergy as there are no visible symptoms. Its just a uncomforting dull pain in the wrist area up to my elbow. I do have hair on my wrist but none of them appear to be pulling or anything.

Then I suggest you consult a doctor and look for Tendonitis, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, or damaged nerves.

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
This maybe the case - The only thing that doesn't add up is that I didn't notice it before wearing my regular watches and the symptoms only started since I started wearing the AW on the 24th April.

Either way I appreciate everyone's feedback and assistance in trying to workout what the issue is.

Also, it is entirely possible to be feeling pain due to an allergy\sensitivity to the metal or ceramic and not have any physical signs like a rash or hives etc.. The bodies own immune response to allergens has inflammatory properties. You could always try testing the watch against a more supple part of your skin and see if there is a more profound reaction if any. Or just sell me the watch at a great discount if it's all just too much for you ;)

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Also, it is entirely possible to be feeling pain due to an allergy\sensitivity to the metal or ceramic and not have any physical signs like a rash or hives etc.. The bodies own immune response to allergens has inflammatory properties. You could always try testing the watch against a more supple part of your skin and see if there is a more profound reaction if any. Or just sell me the watch at a great discount if it's all just too much for you ;)

Only if he sells me the Milanese Loop. :D:cool:

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Then I suggest you consult a doctor and look for Tendonitis, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, or damaged nerves.

Only if he sells me the Milanese Loop. :D:cool:

Can't give up that easily - I love this thing! I did try it on my right arm yesterday and the symptoms were near enough gone. Only slight wrist pain but probably due to my right arm not being used to wearing a watch.

Maybe I will need to consult a doctor and get a medical opinion on the matter! Can't believe it though as I really don't want to use on my right arm or sell at this stage!! Especially as I was one of the lucky ones to receive on launch day!

MaulRx

Suspended
Aug 27, 2012
Can't give up that easily - I love this thing! I did try it on my right arm yesterday and the symptoms were near enough gone. Only slight wrist pain but probably due to my right arm not being used to wearing a watch.

Maybe I will need to consult a doctor and get a medical opinion on the matter! Can't believe it though as I really don't want to use on my right arm or sell at this stage!! Especially as I was one of the lucky ones to receive on launch day!

Keep us posted, I would be interested in knowing if you get a solid answer and don't mind sharing. I did a quick google search and there are multiple people with the same band reporting similar issues. It's curious.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Keep us posted, I would be interested in knowing if you get a solid answer and don't mind sharing. I did a quick google search and there are multiple people with the same band reporting similar issues. It's curious.

No problem - Will do! Would like to help especially as a few others are experiencing similar symptoms!

Last edited:

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
If you are referring to an allergy, the swap wouldn't make sense. Thought the Milanese Loop could be snagging a few hairs or pinching a few nerves.

If Robin Williams could wear a watch with no issue....

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Seems like the best idea for now as I don't want to give up! I've actually got a BSB ordered but wont be delivered till the 1st June! :eek:

The sport bands fit differently than the ML. This might solve your problem.

If you do a swap, you'll get the new band faster, I bet.

----------

Nah. Thinking of how each band fits. My ML fit differently than the sport band I'm using now.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
you should be able to fit two fingers between your strap and wrist. Also go to the Watch app then Workout app, turn on Power Saving Mode... it will limit the amount of times the heart rate monitor checks.

I spoke with Apple senior level regarding a skin irritation that I was having. As shown on the photo the rise in skin match perfectly with my heart rate sensor and would only appear after long workouts. It would go away after about 30mins. The documented it and are having me do some pre and post workout test to get more data for my case and for collects.

For me it doesn't hurt and it just looks like the consistent light hitting the skin is having a reaction. But also speaking on your issue with pain, I had a slight kink/pain the first few days. I no longer have it, I would assume it was my skin/nerves reacting to the sensor light. I no longer have that pain... hopefully some stuff I said may help... the photo below is what I sent to Apple, that was after a workout.
Yesterday for the first time ever I used the workout app to track my progress on a neighborhood walk. I ended up with a very sore spot where the sensors contact my skin. There were no marks but what appeared to be a very faint bruising of the skin that has faded already.

Other than the watch occasionally feeling a bit heavy on my skin it hasn't caused me discomfort until yesterday. I do have carpal tunnel but didn't have the tingle. Just some feeling of bruising and it's all gone today despite wearing the watch during a very sweaty gardening session.

The next time I use the exercise app I'll see if there's any more discomfort to report.

Oh and when I use the watch as a phone sometimes there's a feeling like ants are crawling on my skin under the watch. I assume that's vibration from the built-in speaker. It tickled me silly until I got used to it.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Yesterday for the first time ever I used the workout app to track my progress on a neighborhood walk. I ended up with a very sore spot where the sensors contact my skin. There were no marks but what appeared to be a very faint bruising of the skin that has faded already.

Other than the watch occasionally feeling a bit heavy on my skin it hasn't caused me discomfort until yesterday. I do have carpal tunnel but didn't have the tingle. Just some feeling of bruising and it's all gone today despite wearing the watch during a very sweaty gardening session.

The next time I use the exercise app I'll see if there's any more discomfort to report.

Oh and when I use the watch as a phone sometimes there's a feeling like ants are crawling on my skin under the watch. I assume that's vibration from the built-in speaker. It tickled me silly until I got used to it.

I would report this too Apple and take a photo if possible. They're currently documenting all skin irritation issues. What ever it takes to help improve the next version I'm willing to help. My Watch calls have all been pretty short, I have not experienced the vibration. Then again I do wear my watch one notch looser, so my skin can breathe.

----------

Right guys. Back on the left arm today and Pains are generally back in wrist, forearm and elbow. Not sure what to do as the watch is not even tight as I can get two fingers through. On the right arm it was better but still did cause slight wrist pain. It almost seems that this combo of SS and ML isn't for me or there is something wrong! Quite confused now as I'm out of my return period also and as much as I love the watch and don't want to get rid of it can't let it be a cause of discomfort!

Haven't spoken to apple yet but wonder what they would realistically do?!

If the watch is causing pain, Apple will honor a return even though its is outside of the 14day period. Right now they're collecting date on all skin and pain issues.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Got it on my left arm again today and still experiencing the same discomfort. I'm going to wait for my sport strap to be delivered and see if that makes a difference.

IMO (having tried various ways to wear it on both arms) I think its something to do with the strength of the magnet which attaches the ML. I've got a strange feeling a different band will solve the issue for me.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I would report this too Apple and take a photo if possible. They're currently documenting all skin irritation issues. What ever it takes to help improve the next version I'm willing to help. My Watch calls have all been pretty short, I have not experienced the vibration. Then again I do wear my watch one notch looser, so my skin can breathe.

----------

If the watch is causing pain, Apple will honor a return even though its is outside of the 14day period. Right now they're collecting date on all skin and pain issues.

Okay I'll do that. I wore it yesterday afternoon in some ungodly heat, doing gardening and had no pain or discomfort. Later today I'll take another walk with the exercise tracker on and see what happens. So far I'm testing two different issues in the next couple of days. The other issue I'm testing is timing how long it takes to accumulate enough bugginess that my notifications cease to give haptic feedback and I have to reboot.

I did not feel the crawling ants sensation on a call I took this morning. That is strange! What on earth could have caused it before. Maybe I need to make a separate thread about that. But I hate cluttering the forum when it's already so crowded with new threads and I rarely try to start threads.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Are there any non Milanese Loop owners facings any aches / discomfort in their arms and wrists?

Mine continue but unfortunately its still not stopping me wearing the device! Switching arms every other day but mild pain always starts about an hour in! Problem is I've only got my Milanese Band to test the issues!

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
My Adidas MiCoach Smart Run caused this for me, because it had to be worn tight for the optical heart rate sensor to work, and it impeded circulation. I don't have the same problem with the apple watch, but it does seem to be designed to put pressure on the top of your wrist (i.e. the HRM cover is designed to push into your arm a little, such that it looks as if the case is sitting flush to your arm). It may be that you don't have great circulation to begin with, thus are quite sensitive to restrictions.

Incidentally, I've experienced a much more extreme form of this pain as a result of wearing a tourniquet around my upper arm for 45 minutes during an operation on my hand. The pain from that was nearly unbearable, but noticeably similar to the mild pain that I got from the Adidas watch.

Ultimacn

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Lancashire, UK
Are there any non Milanese Loop owners facings any aches / discomfort in their arms and wrists?

Mine continue but unfortunately its still not stopping me wearing the device! Switching arms every other day but mild pain always starts about an hour in! Problem is I've only got my Milanese Band to test the issues!

Hi, yes I'm getting same kind of issue, pain is in hand and between knuckles. Only had issue start since wearing my AWS. I have the AWS with BSB so you can rule out it being the strap. I have loosened the strap a notch and pushed it further up my arm towards elbow today and symptoms have subsided slightly. I can fit 2 fingers easily between strap and wrist. Thought it was just me....

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Hi, yes I'm getting same kind of issue, pain is in hand and between knuckles. Only had issue start since wearing my AWS. I have the AWS with BSB so you can rule out it being the strap. I have loosened the strap a notch and pushed it further up my arm towards elbow today and symptoms have subsided slightly. I can fit 2 fingers easily between strap and wrist. Thought it was just me....

Thanks for your post. I wonder what it could be. Must be something to do with the wireless signals constantly being so close to the hand / wrist although it seems as if its only effecting a minority like ourselves. I was hoping a different band might help tackle the problem but haven't got one to test at the moment.

For info I have now tried on both arms and start getting a dull pain / discomfort from the wrist all the way to my elbow within about 30 mins of wearing it!

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
You should consider the possibility that your arm is not yet conditioned to holding the "glance-at-a-watch" position repeatedly and for longer durations than would otherwise be normal. Even if you're used to wearing a watch, you're not likely used to fiddling and tinkering with it constantly all day. The discomfort should go away eventually, after you've built the muscle strength for Apple watch fiddling.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
You should consider the possibility that your arm is not yet conditioned to holding the "glance-at-a-watch" position repeatedly and for longer durations than would otherwise be normal. Even if you're used to wearing a watch, you're not likely used to fiddling and tinkering with it constantly all day. The discomfort should go away eventually, after you've built the muscle strength for Apple watch fiddling.

I really hope you're right but I have had it since launch day (24th April) so would have thought there would have been some improvement by now.

Will need to monitor to see if there any further changes with getting used to it unless there are other suggestions or I've got a defective unit.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry, it got freezing cold here so I didn't get my walk yesterday after my gardening was done. Will try again another time.

Update: took my walk. No marks on the skin today. It must have been something else that caused the slight bruising and discomfort last time. It was also cooler today. Maybe last time the heat affected my skin.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.