Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi All,

My partner and I have both received and setup our Series 8's today. However the noise app (and also Siri & dictation) both pop up with a "Measurement Suspended" (see attached) message. It's as if the mic is being used by another app, we've closed all apps on the watches, rebooted them, updated them to the latest Watch OS (iPhone 14's also both updated to 16.0.1) but no success.

Our previous watches (Series 4's) worked fine without issue.

Any suggestions on what to try next please? Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 1,089

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
From what I have seen the net, this looks like a hardware issue, and a return will need to be instigated.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
From what I have seen the net, this looks like a hardware issue, and a return will need to be instigated.

Mmm I found that after a Google, was hoping it may have been something else. So odd that both of our watches are doing it! :/

Etc_

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
I got a Series 8 as well and maybe thats unrelated to your problem but I had a problem with Siri and raise to speak. It didn't work either. Rebooted both iPhone and Watch, but nothing changed. Then I switched raise to speak off and on again and it worked. So maybe you could try to turn-off noise measurements and turn them on again, if you didn't try that already. Or switch off all settings, which use the microphone and turn them on again.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I got a Series 8 as well and maybe thats unrelated to your problem but I had a problem with Siri and raise to speak. It didn't work either. Rebooted both iPhone and Watch, but nothing changed. Then I switched raise to speak off and on again and it worked. So maybe you could try to turn-off noise measurements and turn them on again, if you didn't try that already. Or switch off all settings, which use the microphone and turn them on again.

Thanks, tried toggling various settings and also reset one of the watches and setup as a new device .... worked for ~5 mins then back to no mic working.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
If this is occurring on both watches I doubt that it is a hardware issue that would be a very big coincidence.
when you set up the device as a new device did you make sure that no other third-party apps were installed?

Gna5h3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Calgary, Alberta
I’ve got the exact same problem with my Series 8. The noise app will sporadically work and is recording data in the health app but more often than not will tell me the measurement is suspended. I reset the watch and set up as a new watch instead of restoring from backup of my S4 and it was slightly more reliable and would work for a couple hours before the mic stopped working all together again. No response from Siri and mic not working on phone calls too. Surely this can’t be a hardware problem as it’s sporadically working

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I’ve got the exact same problem with my Series 8. The noise app will sporadically work and is recording data in the health app but more often than not will tell me the measurement is suspended. I reset the watch and set up as a new watch instead of restoring from backup of my S4 and it was slightly more reliable and would work for a couple hours before the mic stopped working all together again. No response from Siri and mic not working on phone calls too. Surely this can’t be a hardware problem as it’s sporadically working

We found that removing the noise complication from your watch faces has "fixed" the issue. And now dictation, note taking etc all works via the microphone without issue.

I suspect it's a software bug which will hopefully get fixed soon so we can re-add the noise complication. Noise app does still monitor in the background for now.

Hope this helps as Apple support was useless and asked me to downgrade to iOS 9.0 from 9.0.1 on my phone as it was "BETA" :rolleyes:

Gna5h3r

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2022
Calgary, Alberta
We found that removing the noise complication from your watch faces has "fixed" the issue. And now dictation, note taking etc all works via the microphone without issue.

I suspect it's a software bug which will hopefully get fixed soon so we can re-add the noise complication. Noise app does still monitor in the background for now.

Hope this helps as Apple support was useless and asked me to downgrade to iOS 9.0 from 9.0.1 on my phone as it was "BETA" :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I’m not using it as a complication. I will try disabling it though and see if that makes a difference.

Apple support weren’t great for me either. They told me I had to get the watch replaced by the retailer….

Let’s hope a software update will fix it soon!

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
I think this is a software issue, have a brand new Apple Watch Series 8 and Noise Detection stops working from time to time, than only a Hard Reset fixes the issue until it happens again. I hope Apple can fix this with a coming update, really annoying, because a lot of functions rely on this (handwashing, Siri, etc.pp.).

Etc_

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
Yes I can confirm. Siri raise-to-speak stops working after a while for me, hard reset or turn it off and on again helps for a short time. I don't use the handwashing feature or noise detection, but I think it is the same bug. Really annoying I hope Apple fixes this fast. I got some other issues as well with WatchOS 9, e.g. I have the news app on my watch even though it isn't available in my country (it's not on my phone and on the watch it doesn't load, if I open it).

Reactions: henni2016

Jrcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
I bought a new Apple Watch 8 yesterday and had this issue. I took it back to the Apple Store today and they swapped it out for me. I thought it was good until a couple of hours later when the replacement started doing the same thing. I deleted the noise app and it seems to be good now. I hope Apple becomes aware of this issue quickly and sends a fix.

Etc_

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
In the German Apple community forums there is a thread about this issue. Someone said they'll get a call today from Apple (after a normal support call, which obviously doesn't help with a software bug) to record this issue as a bug. Maybe it'll get more attention after that.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Wow. Interesting. Noise app on my S5 updated to watchOS 9 works perfectly (on complication) and I dont have any issue with Siri raise to speak either. Curious why it happens only to S8. Some new sensors cause it perhaps, like those upgraded for Car Crash Detection?

Jrcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
In the German Apple community forums there is a thread about this issue. Someone said they'll get a call today from Apple (after a normal support call, which obviously doesn't help with a software bug) to record this issue as a bug. Maybe it'll get more attention after that.
I wish I could read German!

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
After deleting the "Noise" App yesterday, the microphone is working for nearly 24h constantly now. So it seems like a software bug within the Noise App on Series 8. But how do we get Apple into this? Support as always isnt helpful and wants to send over a new Watch, which is ridiculous.

Jrcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Agreed. I took my new 8 back to the Apple Store for this issue and the tech said he never saw this before and said it was a hardware issue and gave me a replacement Watch. The new watch did it was well. It is definitely a software bug. Like you say, getting apple aware of it is a big task. Hopefully they read these forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Don't count on them happening to read MacRumors.

Send feedback directly to Apple.

You could even paste a link to this thread in your feedback comment to prod their reading it!

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Did send them feedback with a link to this thread. Maybe someone will read it (hopefully).

Maybe someone can push this to the Macrumors Team? Would be helpful if this could get some more attention.

Etc_

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2022
Two days ago I sent a mail to a few Apple news outlets (macrumors as well) about this so they can draw some attentions to this with an article, but I guess there are more clicks in the 10th article about iPhone 14 issues than an article about the Apple Watch. Maybe some of you guys could do this as well.

Edit: Maybe the Ultra has this issue as well so we'll get some attention, when they cover the new watch.

Last edited:

henni2016

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
Just a little update: Even deleting the noise app doesn’t help. Just took a little bit longer before the microphone stopped working.

Jrcase

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2022
Just a little update: Even deleting the noise app doesn’t help. Just took a little bit longer before the microphone stopped working.
Interesting. I reinstalled it just to test and I turned off the always monitor setting and made sure no watch faces had it as a complication and so far so good. When I initially deleted the noise app, the mic also worked fine.

foggygray

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
Noticed my Series 8 started exhibiting this today as well. I thought it had to do with the Handwashing feature but I guess not. Hopefully it’ll get fixed in an update.

svott

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2022
I also have this problem with my Series 8. I sent feedback to Apple too.
Sometimes the microphone will work for a few minutes or hours after I restart the watch, but the problem always comes back. I haven't been able to identify any pattern for what causes it to stop working.

Reactions: foggygray
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.