Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Hate to say it but my understanding is that everyone that rushed out to be the first to get the Apple watch may have done so at their peril, why you may ask?

Well I have a good friend in the states who is quite senior at Apple who told me there will be several more updates between now and September 2016 and also a new watch altogether for this Christmas and another one in readiness for Christmas 2016.

Sounds familiar? sure does, first we had the iphone 4, then 4s, then 5 then 5c then 5s, now we have iphone 6 then 6+, it appears to me that Apple have duped a lot of eager people to jump in on the first offering and then they are banking on those same people to take a second jump because they "must have the latest one" before anyone else.

The reason for the new watches is obvious make more money for Apple, in their haste to get the watch out there before the rest of the market Apple went with what they had, which appears to be the basic offering knowing all along that more versions will follow, Apple just could not wait to get the watch out there and get it earning them some profit. My friend went on to tell me that Apple are waiting approvals from various medical institutions to enable them to offer apps for stress, blood pressure and more accurate health diagnosis etc but it requires regulatory approvals before it can do so.

These regulatory hurdles are the bigger opportunity for Apple who will make good business out of creating a device to perform specific functions that everybody is now hung up on "Smart Health".

My informative friend said that once approval has been given the next watches will have more new sensor developments from firms like CliniCloud, Force Therapeutics and MindWave I have never heard of these companies probably all state side based. Apple are not daft, never have been in my mind, but just think why give you the best item now at the start? you would never buy another one, or would you?

Smurphy Gherkin

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I thought a lot about this, I figure:

Apple watch 1 is a lot better than no Apple Watch.
Apple watch 2, even if released at Xmas will be maybe 120% as good as Apple Watch 1. I can keep#1 or if compelling, upgrade as resale value of Apple gear is great.

All good problems to have.

Reactions: Xiph0s

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
The apple watch does what I want it to do NOW! If Apple release another watch at Christmas with features that I didn't know I wanted or needed, then I'll have a rethink.

I can't live my life waiting for the future to happen or i'll miss the present.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I am not going to spend my time thinking what Apple may or may not release on the future. I am going to buy what I want that there is at the present time and enjoy it. When there are other new versions of products that I have, then I will consider my options, which could be keeping what I have or sell it and buy a new one. It's inevitable that there will be new versions of all products coming soon, if you keep looking on the horizon you will always be looking for something better and have nothing. Time is precious, enjoy it while you have it.

Reactions: PirateP

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe I live in the moment, and not too concerned about the next one coming out in a few months. Technology is always progressing. I guess we shouldn't buy the AW2 because the AW3 would be better than it, huh?

Reactions: PirateP

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
Don't waste your money with the AW 4, I hear the fifth one will be much better and perhaps even cheaper ;)

I hear apple will give you the fifth one if you trade in your AW1,2,3 and 4.

The AW5 will also be able to go to your place of work and stand in for you for the day if you're feeling a little under the weather.

meikdunj

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
Why wouldn't you? All products go through upgrade cycles. I want to enjoy the latest technology NOW. If the next gen watch has a complelling reason for me to upgrade then I will. Been doing it with iPhones since 2007.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
No one 'duped' anyone. Most of us are early adoptors because we love technology and gadgets. I personally think Apple will keep the cycle to annually and leave it for April since they don't have any other products launching during that time. They'll for sure want to leave the iPhone/iPad launches for end of year.

But even if a new one comes early, that's just the nature of buying a 1st generation product...and also means new toy to play with even sooner :D

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
We all heard the rumour that version 2 will be smaller, faster, cheaper and offer more health stuff. And yes, that there would be a whole new one out for Christmas - the titanium model wasn't it? All of this has been widely speculated in MR and similar forums.

And your point is?

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Why Apple watch?

Hang on people, don't shoot the messenger here I was simply asking the question why buy now and not wait when it is clear that new AW are imminent. Thanks for all the replies I have had all are good and logical answers, I am a big Apple user in many ways but wanted to hear what people thought about the future models.

Thanks for posting.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Hang on people, don't shoot the messenger here I was simply asking the question why buy now and not wait when it is clear that new AW are imminent. Thanks for all the replies I have had all are good and logical answers, I am a big Apple user in many ways but wanted to hear what people thought about the future models.

Well, you formed your post with the implicit position that people who buy Gen 1 products are stupid, so expect some replies tinged with emotion. :)

First, there is no clear evidence that there will be a new AW this year. I will point out it has taken them months to get the watch on people's wrists after announcing it last year (still waiting for my launch-day Space Black...) so even if they announced Gen 2 today it wouldn't be a shoe-in for physically appearing this year.

Second, Apple are not stupid and they have employed experienced people from the fashion and watch worlds to help them with this move into a new market segment. They will know that people expect to use their expensive piece of jewellery for more than a year. If there is a new watch this year, my money is on different finishes and bands rather than massive technology upgrades. That is quite common in the luxury watch market. Not a tech driven purchase, but a style driven one.

Third, if there is a new tech based edition, it will be an incremental step like the poster above suggests. It will not make my Gen 1 device worthless, especially as the watch is not a power-house for crunching apps (IMO) so a small increase in power or memory is unlikely to have radical benefits for how I anticipate using it.

Fourth, if everyone took the stance of not buying Gen 1 devices it would be seen as a failure and there wouldn't be a Gen 2 device. You can thank me and the other early adopters later!

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I agree with the sentiment of most replies.

If one always waited for what's new out around the corner then one wouldn't end up making a purchase at all.

It's a cycle.

When someone upgrades to get the new shiny model their will be another person waiting in the wings to hopefully buy the used device that the original owners sold on.

Power is knowledge so I'm sure your blessed to have a friend employed by .

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I was simply asking the question why buy now and not wait when it is clear that new AW are imminent.
A post by somebody I don't know quoting somebody else I don't know claiming a new AW is imminent does not make it so.
Since the next AW is not imminent, this boils down to 'why buy now when the next version will be better', which further boils down to 'why would you ever buy one?'. Answers above.

Reactions: jbachandouris

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I better not buy the 6s Plus, because the 7 is imminent. As is the 7s, the 8, the 8s and the 9 etc. I better stop buying things in general, because something new will come along anyway. Maybe I should stop living, a new life is on it's way (that is if you believe in reincarnation) :rolleyes:

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
This is a butt tonne of BS.

----------

Also, user joined two days ago? Don't feed the troll guys

Don't feed the trolls? Being not very jargon minded (and in my 60's) I have no idea what that means, yes I did just join and you joined 2 years ago and your point is?

I joined this forum looking for answers to should I buy an AW or not?

I was simply passing on some info I was given and wondered what AW users thought of it that's all, but judging by all the replies it appears I may have touched a nerve! Is this because I am stating the obvious?

IllusionEntity

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2013
Kent, UK
Don't feed the trolls? Being not very jargon minded (and in my 60's) I have no idea what that means, yes I did just join and you joined 2 years ago and your point is?

I joined this forum looking for answers to should I buy an AW or not?

I was simply passing on some info I was given and wondered what AW users thought of it that's all, but judging by all the replies it appears I may have touched a nerve! Is this because I am stating the obvious?

Well your info first posted is BS and your friend is full of BS

Reactions: jbachandouris

Tosic

macrumors regular
May 19, 2015
Apple watch will be updated every few years i reckon, no need for apple to update once a year and plus anyone who has spent £900 on one will be royally peed off if they bring a new one out this xmas.

Reactions: Jontif
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.