Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Well your info first posted is BS and your friend is full of BS

Thanks for that reply, I will be sure to tell my friend at Apple he is full of BS as I do know what that means, thanks again and I am really pleased I joined this forum!

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
I bought the Apple Watch because it does what I want it to do and much more, also will do much more as the weeks and months go by. When the Apple Watch 2 comes out I will buy it instantly.

We humans won't be around forever, Next Gen products will always be around the corner.........enjoy life now :D

Good to know Apple is working on the next ten Watch :)

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Thanks for that reply, I will be sure to tell my friend at Apple he is full of BS as I do know what that means, thanks again and I am really pleased I joined this forum! Just to clarify, someone asked if my friend works at a retail store? the answer is no he works at Apple inc.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Hang on people, don't shoot the messenger here I was simply asking the question why buy now and not wait when it is clear that new AW are imminent. Thanks for all the replies I have had all are good and logical answers, I am a big Apple user in many ways but wanted to hear what people thought about the future models.

Thanks for posting.

Well first of all, this is new information, we have had no rumours of a new Christmas release, so even if you pre ordered, you would have had no idea about this. Second of all, it's a rumour, and I'm not trying to be rude, but we can't believe everything we see. Thirdly, if it wasn't for us first-gen adopters, there would be no second gen due to no purchases. Fourthly, my Apple Watch is quite frankly amazing, and I loved everything it can do, and not once have I needed a new feature. Finally, even if there is a new Apple Watch, if my one works perfectly, why would I wait 8 months for something that could do the same thing and a little more - that more seems to be health wise, but I'm fine with the current heart rate monitor. There is no need for me to be on the latest and greatest. I'm fine with my 5s and my iPad Air 1.

anez

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
I joined this forum looking for answers to should I buy an AW or not?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if you have a friend who is in a senior position at Apple, wouldn't you be better off asking his opinion than ours?

I will be mildly irritated if there's a new version out before the end of the year, as I feel it would be somewhat insulting of Apple to release a new version so quickly. I doubt it will happen, since I feel like they learned their lesson on that front with the iPad 3, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I will not regret my April "Watch 1.0" purchase, as it meant I had an Apple Watch all summer that I would not have had if I had waited until Christmas. Why buy now when a newer model is around the corner? Because I wanted one, I could afford it, and not buying it would have meant X months without wrist notifications and activity tracking. That's compelling enough reason for me, but naturally it won't be enough for everyone.

If you are expecting any greater reason to purchase this version beyond "I'd like to have one today", I don't think you'll find it.

Reactions: jbachandouris

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but if you have a friend who is in a senior position at Apple, wouldn't you be better off asking his opinion than ours?

I will be mildly irritated if there's a new version out before the end of the year, as I feel it would be somewhat insulting of Apple to release a new version so quickly. I doubt it will happen, since I feel like they learned their lesson on that front with the iPad 3, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I will not regret my April "Watch 1.0" purchase, as it meant I had an Apple Watch all summer that I would not have had if I had waited until Christmas. Why buy now when a newer model is around the corner? Because I wanted one, I could afford it, and not buying it would have meant X months without wrist notifications and activity tracking. That's compelling enough reason for me, but naturally it won't be enough for everyone.

If you are expecting any greater reason to purchase this version beyond "I'd like to have one today", I don't think you'll find it.

Thank you for your reply, I did ask my friend at Apple inc, and he gave me his info on the next AW but I wanted to ask actual users of the AW hence the posting but people seem to have taken it wrongly and if I have offered anyone that was not my intention I was just looking for answers/opinions.
Thanks again for your reply

TheDonat41

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2015
Quite senior yet he reveals full product release details to all and sundry?

My friend and I just had a general conversation about Apple stuff and he told me, I guess info like this in the states is not as top secret as everyone thinks.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Don't feed the trolls? Being not very jargon minded (and in my 60's) I have no idea what that means, yes I did just join and you joined 2 years ago and your point is?

I joined this forum looking for answers to should I buy an AW or not?

I was simply passing on some info I was given and wondered what AW users thought of it that's all, but judging by all the replies it appears I may have touched a nerve! Is this because I am stating the obvious?

I believe the point IllusionEntity was getting at is that you have just joined and already created a rather provocative thread on a currently sensitive topic. Sensitive because some members of the forum are actually still to receive their watches and you are already voicing unlikely rumours from an unconfirmed source suggesting a new :apple:Watch is soon to be released. Being part of MacRumors, you soon get into the habit of relying on solid evidence and/or a source. Read here, under 'Debate'.

The question you ask is a question that can be applicable to almost any product in the tech world. In your case if you are unsure and your informed friend has told you that a new :apple:Watch is around the corner, it would be a no-brainer and I'm unsure as to why you would want to even create this thread since we are most likely less informed than your friend. You should wait until christmas and if nothing comes out, buy 1.0 and then you have possibly until April 2016 before a new one is released.

In the mean time, us early adopters will continue to enjoy our devices (if we have them yet) and we will also all subscribe to this thread and will be back here for Christmas to ask what else your friend has for us.

EDIT: Is your friend Tim Cook?

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am not sure why I am even bothering to post on this useless thread. The OP clearly has no idea what he is talking about, and made up this grand story to share with the Internet to get Apple fans fired up. Anyone can say they have a friend at Apple. Serious this was just to get a reaction, and he has gotten what he wanted.

Last edited:

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Hate to say it but my understanding is that everyone that rushed out to be the first to get the Apple watch may have done so at their peril, why you may ask?

Well I have a good friend in the states who is quite senior at Apple who told me there will be several more updates between now and September 2016 and also a new watch altogether for this Christmas and another one in readiness for Christmas 2016.

Sounds familiar? sure does, first we had the iphone 4, then 4s, then 5 then 5c then 5s, now we have iphone 6 then 6+, it appears to me that Apple have duped a lot of eager people to jump in on the first offering and then they are banking on those same people to take a second jump because they "must have the latest one" before anyone else.

The reason for the new watches is obvious make more money for Apple, in their haste to get the watch out there before the rest of the market Apple went with what they had, which appears to be the basic offering knowing all along that more versions will follow, Apple just could not wait to get the watch out there and get it earning them some profit. My friend went on to tell me that Apple are waiting approvals from various medical institutions to enable them to offer apps for stress, blood pressure and more accurate health diagnosis etc but it requires regulatory approvals before it can do so.

These regulatory hurdles are the bigger opportunity for Apple who will make good business out of creating a device to perform specific functions that everybody is now hung up on "Smart Health".

My informative friend said that once approval has been given the next watches will have more new sensor developments from firms like CliniCloud, Force Therapeutics and MindWave I have never heard of these companies probably all state side based. Apple are not daft, never have been in my mind, but just think why give you the best item now at the start? you would never buy another one, or would you?

They will lucky to catch supply up by Christmas let alone a new one. Hahahaha thanks though mr. Account created yesterday Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahaahhahahaha.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Hate to say it...you would never buy another one, or would you?

Are you new to technology? As you've seen (at least from some of the more mature responses), many of the people here are early adopters. Many are not as well (and returned their Apple watches).

This is a new platform. Apple isn't "getting it out there for a quick buck". They're getting it out there to establish it. "If you build it, they will come." You won't get a lot of developers / software companies building apps for a "someday" platform. You need it out there and people using it, so you have the opportunity to make app sales and continue to improve your product. They have to have a starting point. The features / functionality are the best that they felt they could fit into the first revision of this new platform.

Each revision of technology is (at least intended) to be better than the last. It's the "continuous improvement" development cycle that is the mantra of most that work in technology. Always evolving, always improving efficiencies. And, in the case of consumer electronics, almost always making them thinner, lighter, ever more elegant.

Go back and look at the first iPhone. I wonder why anyone ever bought it. ;)

p.s. The "new watch for Christmas" thing - pretty sure you misunderstood your friend. We've already heard rumblings there may be new bodies (platings) by the fall. There won't be new functionalities by then. There will most definitely be a rev 2 - but no less than a year from the launch of this device. Apple's not going to offend their faithful. They'll do considerable software feature additions with the hardware that exists in what we've been given with this watch.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Hang on people, don't shoot the messenger here I was simply asking the question why buy now and not wait when it is clear that new AW are imminent. Thanks for all the replies I have had all are good and logical answers, I am a big Apple user in many ways but wanted to hear what people thought about the future models.

Thanks for posting.

It's not CLEAR there will be a new Watch by Xmas. There is a rumor floating around that Apple will introduce a Platinum and/or Titanium version on the Watch before Xmas that will fill the $5k price range.
But AW2 by Xmas, not likely.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I think your friend is not as senior as either of you think he is.... Apple execs do not go around freely discussing inside info and product map info. Stateside or not.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Sounds familiar? sure does, first we had the iphone 4, then 4s, then 5 then 5c then 5s, now we have iphone 6 then 6+, it appears to me that Apple have duped a lot of eager people to jump in on the first offering and then they are banking on those same people to take a second jump because they "must have the latest one" before anyone else.

I stopped reading right here. You mention iPhones starting from the 4 and ending at the 6 and 6+. The 5S and 5c came out at the same time, as did the 6 and 6+. The models you mention span 5 YEARS!!!! They're on a yearly release cycle. If you feel duped that you bought an iPhone 4 in 2010 and it's now 2015 and we're up to the iPhone 6, then just forget all about iPhones and buy a flip phone and call it a day.

By the way, the iPhone 4 was not the first iPhone either. First we had the iPhone 2G in 2007, then the iPhone 3G, then the 3GS, then the 4, then the 4S, then the 5, then the 5S and 5c, then the 6 and 6+. I feel so duped that I bought an iPhone in 2007 and now there's a fancy new iPhone 6! :rolleyes:

Reactions: solarguy17

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
OP's "friend" is full of s***.

There's no way watch hardware 2.0 is coming out by Christmas. It'll be in to July before the first set of orders are complete. New hardware coming 4 months later? No. Even Apple, who doesn't mind obsolescence, doesn't change hardware lines that quickly.

New band offerings? Sure. A new finish like brushed stainless or something? Possibly. New software? Well, we already know native apps, and thus SDK 2.0, is coming later this year. So that's not really news. Hardware revision 2.0? Not a chance.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Of course Apple will update the watch, to be fair i would be a bit annoyed if a new model is available to purchase this year. I wonder if there will an update announced at the same time as the new iPhones. I can't see them announcing new models so much in advance of launch like with the current watch so maybe if a watch update is announced with the iphones it will be available this year.

I guess when the iphones are announced, I don't want 'One more thing'.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
My friend and I just had a general conversation about Apple stuff and he told me, I guess info like this in the states is not as top secret as everyone thinks.

The reason this is not believable is that everyone with any access to information regarding not yet released products or services at Apple are required to sign non-disclosure agreements. While it is invariably true that even so, some information leaks, it is hardly credible that it leaks via 'a general conversation about Apple stuff'. Apple staffers with knowledge of future products know the boundaries of what can and can't be discussed very, very clearly.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
The apple watch does what I want it to do NOW! If Apple release another watch at Christmas with features that I didn't know I wanted or needed, then I'll have a rethink.

I can't live my life waiting for the future to happen or i'll miss the present.

Very well said.

If we keep waiting for the next "better" future model, we will never own anything.

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007

In reality, your friend is probably not as senior as you and he would like to think...

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Your "high up friend at Apple" decided to reveal to you their entire strategy for the rest of the year for their most important new product release in years.

Riiiiight.

There's no way this is accurate.

Last edited:

macdaddy86

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
Manchester, UK
I'm a manager of an apple service centre, does that make me senior? No...

But I do know how apple work in regards to releases.

They DO NOT tell Anyone about anything, you'd have to be working on the Apple watch behind the scenes to know anything (does he/she). No one has a clue until it's actually released.

Senior means nothing, unless your Tim Cook.

This is false information from your "senior" friend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.