Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Hate to say it but my understanding is that everyone that rushed out to be the first to get the Apple watch may have done so at their peril, why you may ask?

Well I have a good friend in the states who is quite senior at Apple who told me there will be several more updates between now and September 2016 and also a new watch altogether for this Christmas and another one in readiness for Christmas 2016.

Sounds familiar? sure does, first we had the iphone 4, then 4s, then 5 then 5c then 5s, now we have iphone 6 then 6+, it appears to me that Apple have duped a lot of eager people to jump in on the first offering and then they are banking on those same people to take a second jump because they "must have the latest one" before anyone else.

The reason for the new watches is obvious make more money for Apple, in their haste to get the watch out there before the rest of the market Apple went with what they had, which appears to be the basic offering knowing all along that more versions will follow, Apple just could not wait to get the watch out there and get it earning them some profit. My friend went on to tell me that Apple are waiting approvals from various medical institutions to enable them to offer apps for stress, blood pressure and more accurate health diagnosis etc but it requires regulatory approvals before it can do so.

These regulatory hurdles are the bigger opportunity for Apple who will make good business out of creating a device to perform specific functions that everybody is now hung up on "Smart Health".

My informative friend said that once approval has been given the next watches will have more new sensor developments from firms like CliniCloud, Force Therapeutics and MindWave I have never heard of these companies probably all state side based. Apple are not daft, never have been in my mind, but just think why give you the best item now at the start? you would never buy another one, or would you?
Well my good friend who is quite senior at Apple told me your friend is full of crap. Just saying.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hate to say it but my understanding is that everyone that rushed out to be the first to get the Apple watch may have done so at their peril, why you may ask?

Well I have a good friend in the states who is quite senior at Apple who told me there will be several more updates between now and September 2016 and also a new watch altogether for this Christmas and another one in readiness for Christmas 2016.

Apple have duped a lot of eager people to jump in on the first offering and then they are banking on those same people to take a second jump because they "must have the latest one" before anyone else.

The reason for the new watches is obvious make more money for Apple, in their haste to get the watch out there before the rest of the market Apple went with what they had, which appears to be the basic offering knowing all along that more versions will follow, Apple just could not wait to get the watch out there and get it earning them some profit.
image.jpg

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The reason for the new watches is obvious make more money for Apple, in their haste to get the watch out there before the rest of the market Apple went with what they had, which appears to be the basic offering knowing all along that more versions will follow, Apple just could not wait to get the watch out there and get it earning them some profit.
Apple has had a mantra since at least the Macintosh launch -- "real artists ship". Before Jobs left Apple the first time, he was notorious for missing ship dates. Since he returned Apple has been loath to miss a ship date no matter what.

Also, products have to freeze their design at some point in order to meet those ship dates, and as such, things they would have wanted to add into the first generation model get pushed into the next.

And what a surprise that a company wants to get a product to market as fast as possible. And what's more an even bigger surprise that a company knows they're going to release more versions! Wow you just blew my mind! /s

Back in reality, there's no scandal or conspiracy here, just common business practices. And just exactly how did Apple beat the rest of the market when there were already a dozen or so smartwatches already in the marketplace, not all that different than Apple's?

Whatever your real motive for posting this "revelation", there's generally no surprises in anything you've written.

Reactions: iBlazed

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm buying an Apple watch because it will help with alerts. I'm deaf and cannot hear my iPhone ring, so I must rely on its vibration or LED flash features. If my iPhone is sitting on a table out of my view I will miss both vibrations and the LED flash for notifications. The Apple watch, being on my wrist, will keep me from missing notifications.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Well first of all, this is new information, we have had no rumours of a new Christmas release,
Actually yes we have. Sortly after the launch a rumor came out suggesting there would be new case materials offered by December. But that's exactly what I expect it to be, not a 2nd Gen. I'm expecting new case materials and new bands. In particular, a gold Sport to match the iPhones, a gold clad $1k-2k Watch, and a Platinum Edition. My thinking is that the limited run of Editions will all be sold out by Christmas, opening up a lower priced gold model for all those customers who don't wear silver, or who prefer gold jewelry and accessories to alternate with their silver. This allows Apple to do a new limited Edition run in Platinum, giving the wealthy the same opportunity to coordinate their outfits. But I think we'll see the solid gold link bracelet and Milanese in 18K for the Edition customers. Titanium was rumored, as well as a few other choices, perhaps even polycarbonate in colors, for an even lower entry point for the watch. But it will have no new features.

So on that point alone, this guy is discredited.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Actually yes we have. Sortly after the launch a rumor came out suggesting there would be new case materials offered by December. But that's exactly what I expect it to be, not a 2nd Gen. I'm expecting new case materials and new bands. In particular, a gold Sport to match the iPhones, a gold clad $1k-2k Watch, and a Platinum Edition. My thinking is that the limited run of Editions will all be sold out by Christmas, opening up a lower priced gold model for all those customers who don't wear silver, or who prefer gold jewelry and accessories to alternate with their silver. This allows Apple to do a new limited Edition run in Platinum, giving the wealthy the same opportunity to coordinate their outfits. But I think we'll see the solid gold link bracelet and Milanese in 18K for the Edition customers. Titanium was rumored, as well as a few other choices, perhaps even polycarbonate in colors, for an even lower entry point for the watch. But it will have no new features.

So on that point alone, this guy is discredited.

When I said the new watch, I meant the one mentioned in the post, with new hardware.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
New Watch for Christmas? Sure... I can see that. New internals by Christmas? No. I would expect to see them release aluminum in case colors similar to the MacBook/iPhones and probably a few new band options. There is no way there is new internals by Christmas.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
... Sortly after the launch a rumor came out suggesting there would be new case materials offered by December. .. I'm expecting new case materials and new bands. In particular, a gold Sport to match the iPhones, a gold clad $1k-2k Watch, and a Platinum Edition. ... Titanium was rumored, as well as a few other choices, perhaps even polycarbonate in colors, for an even lower entry point for the watch.

I'd bet good money that titanium will be added at some point. Besides being lightweight and strong, I believe it's also as biocompatible / hypoallergenic as metal gets (confirmation via Wikipedia - before someone starts, I know it's not definitive, but it's pretty reliable). Obviously, the entire case back (the part that houses the sensors) can't be titanium, but all of the metal components (bracelet and case) can be.

Titanium would cause me a real problem - in that I'd have to buy it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.