Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
In the past, I never tried Beats and I always thought they were overpriced but I've heard from other people how they offer great sound quality. After Apple's acquisition, I thought I'd them a try and see what the fuss is about; returned them back to the store in less than 24 hours.

The headphones themselves don't feel as expensive as the asking price, in fact they feel somewhat cheap, and I'm sorry, but the amount of bass is just terrible. As as a video editor, this ridiculous level of bass takes away from the clarity or feel of the music. After trying them out, I feel they are absolutely overrated. They only work with very few types of music, and they blow in everything else. They kind of feel different from other Apple products.

I know Apple bought them for their services and their marketing value, but the core product of Beats, headphones, are crap. Apple needs to do something about this if they still want to keep the price.

May I ask which ones you tried? The older ones were almost as bad as people like to say, but the newer ones are pretty good (the last 2 models I've tried out in a store, i think studio v2 and solo v2). They sound as good to my ear as headphones up to around 2/3 of the price - so for the price surely you can find slightly better sounding headphones, but certainly not as bad as everyone enjoys parroting. The bass has been tuned down too, these models are flatter than some "audiophile" headphones that are popular.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
This makes zero sense. You make zero sense. Stop using words you don't understand.

We have a hipster here guys!

This Beats acquisition is Tim Cook at his finest. Look for many more mergers to come.

Think about how big Apple is, what can they do to possibly innovate or do something new? They have to buy out other ****** companies to add value to Apple if they wish to keep growing as a company. There is no other way and I predict this will be a pattern for Apple well into the future

See Sac, I'm talking about the future now man. The future.... it makes sense, trust me.

Now who wants to join me to start up the next Beats?

----------

So what?

These Beats stories grew stale after the first nanosecond...

<yawn>

You my friend are an A9 on steroids.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
May I ask which ones you tried? The older ones were almost as bad as people like to say, but the newer ones are pretty good (the last 2 models I've tried out in a store, i think studio v2 and solo v2). They sound as good to my ear as headphones up to around 2/3 of the price - so for the price surely you can find slightly better sounding headphones, but certainly not as bad as everyone enjoys parroting. The bass has been tuned down too, these models are flatter than some "audiophile" headphones that are popular.

Beats Studio. I was truthfully going to keep them if they were good enough for my needs, but it felt kind of plasticy and the sound quality just isn't what I was expecting and only suits few types of music. Repacked the box and cleaned them properly and returned them the next day.

Wild Warg

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Everyone who thinks this acquisition makes apple doomed should take a 101 course on business. Easy as that.

Yup. Most people here talk out of their ass and like to jump on bandwagons. This is an awesome move for Apple. A smart move.;)

justinhu8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if the Apple Store goes down tonight to integrate a beats section.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
The Beats acquisition has become a diversion from the very things Apple should be focussing on. Too much blah blah.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
This could be disastrous for Apple - preaching in house innovation and fighting copycats but buying a mediocre at best headphone company ( and online music ) that is being sued by Bose for Patent infringement on 5 counts - how have the mighty fallen!:cool:

You may not like their product - I don't use them either - but you cannot argue that they totally transformed the high end (by price) headphone market. They got general public people OK with paying several hundred dollars on headphones, and brought using over ear and on ear headphones on the street to the main stream. They opened a new market for the general public. Somewhere inside you have to respect and see value in that.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
In the past, I never tried Beats and I always thought they were overpriced but I've heard from other people how they offer great sound quality. After Apple's acquisition, I thought I'd them a try and see what the fuss is about; returned them back to the store in less than 24 hours.

The headphones themselves don't feel as expensive as the asking price, in fact they feel somewhat cheap, and I'm sorry, but the amount of bass is just terrible. As as a video editor, this ridiculous level of bass takes away from the clarity or feel of the music. After trying them out, I feel they are absolutely overrated. They only work with very few types of music, and they blow in everything else. They kind of feel different from other Apple products.

I know Apple bought them for their services and their marketing value, but the core product of Beats, headphones, are crap. Apple needs to do something about this if they still want to keep the price.
Which model did you get? The Studio Wireless has VERY good build quality.

Beats are a very Apple-like product, low spec + good design + "overpriced."

Although the Beats Studio Wireless are the best bluetooth headphones on the market.

iplayerboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
Not really a waste, i don't think so! They have acquired something that is growing a lot in the music & within music lovers, Beats owns big market these days & is used by a large community that is from high income groups.. :)

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
Right. But it's the money making headphones that gave Apple the cover to do it. It's hard for Wall Street to complain when Apple can trot out how much revenue the headphones bring in.

Well, sometimes you don't something based on just "money". You have to also bring in high quality technology, which would make more sense. Beats Music loses money and it's subscription service isn't that great. Beats Electronics may have a substantial percentage of market share, but the products themselves are tailored for the masses and it's not that great in terms of technology. Then you have the two idiots Dre and Iovine, which aren't putting out high quality content. They are just famous and rich but they aren't responsible for improving the music industry in terms of what content they actually produce.

I think it was a bad move, they could have easily spent far less money on buying another headphone mfg that makes better quality products and then built up their own subscription service if they really needed to.

I still don't think there is that much profits in the subscription service model, Even Spotify hasn't proved they can bring in decent Net Profits. In fact, no one has.

Renzatic

Suspended
This Beats acquisition is Tim Cook at his finest. Look for many more mergers to come.

Think about how big Apple is, what can they do to possibly innovate or do something new? They have to buy out other ****** companies to add value to Apple if they wish to keep growing as a company. There is no other way and I predict this will be a pattern for Apple well into the future

Mergers and acquisitions are a standard part of any large business, and it's something Apple's done plenty of in the past.

Even during the glorious reign of Steve Jobs, a goodly bit of the tech that makes your Macs and iDevices such a joy to use were bought in or licensed from outside companies. What Cook is doing here isn't any different than what's already gone on beforehand.

----------

Then you have the two idiots Dre and Iovine, which aren't putting out high quality content.

First off, how are they "idiots"? Both were independently wealthy, and, at least as far as Dre is concerned, well respected in their respective industries long before Apple showed up on the scene.

Secondly, "high quality content" in this instance is pretty subjective. You don't have to like what they make, but that doesn't necessarily make them "low quality" as a default. You're not the arbiter of good taste, after all.

Madame Defarge

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Bay Area
This post speaks volumes...

Beats speakers and headphones are the perfect metaphor for what's wrong with the music industry today. Lot's of unintelligible and unintelligent noise that passes for music. Full of violence and misogyny, the lyrics and intention couldn't be more different than the artistry of John Lennon.

macsforever

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2014
It feels wrong because it is wrong. Why is it wrong? It is wrong because Apple was a truly revolutionary company which changed the game and won by focusing all its efforts on creating quality, magic, and - yes - beauty. No other maverick has ever surpassed the successful ingenuity of Steve Jobs, although a few others equal it - Edison, Marconi, Tesla, Ford, etc.

Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine represent all that has sought to demolish, destroy, and end the dreamland that was once America. They and their ilk envy and hate those who proved themselves giants of industry, ingenuity and progress. There's a reason why people have been calling Steve Jobs the last great American innovator. It is because America has fallen into the hands of those who seek to tear it down and trample it into nothing - only for their petty jealousy and to prove themselves superior to something they evidently cannot even understand.

The true hate comes from the pots calling the kettles black. And before you launch your vitriol against me for my truth-telling, please remember that Steve Jobs was, biologically if not culturally, half-Syrian -- Arab. I suspect it was knowledge of this that gave him the impetus and understanding of how to deal with naysayers and parasites who would seek to detract and destroy his piercing vision. We are all limited by out physiology -- it's just that some of us accept that limitation while others don't, and some of us even go so far as to blame that limitation on others.
And Einstien was Jewish... Really now, does it matter?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Beats Music has removed the Artist Radio feature which used to be available in MOG, which means that now Beats Music is worse even than Spotify.

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
Beats speakers and headphones are the perfect metaphor for what's wrong with the music industry today. Lot's of unintelligible and unintelligent noise that passes for music. Full of violence and misogyny, the lyrics and intention couldn't be more different than the artistry of John Lennon.

Is this a joke considering John Lennon literally beat women.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
It feels wrong because it is wrong. Why is it wrong? It is wrong because Apple was a truly revolutionary company which changed the game and won by focusing all its efforts on creating quality, magic, and - yes - beauty. No other maverick has ever surpassed the successful ingenuity of Steve Jobs, although a few others equal it - Edison, Marconi, Tesla, Ford, etc.

Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine represent all that has sought to demolish, destroy, and end the dreamland that was once America. They and their ilk envy and hate those who proved themselves giants of industry, ingenuity and progress. There's a reason why people have been calling Steve Jobs the last great American innovator. It is because America has fallen into the hands of those who seek to tear it down and trample it into nothing - only for their petty jealousy and to prove themselves superior to something they evidently cannot even understand.

The true hate comes from the pots calling the kettles black. And before you launch your vitriol against me for my truth-telling, please remember that Steve Jobs was, biologically if not culturally, half-Syrian -- Arab. I suspect it was knowledge of this that gave him the impetus and understanding of how to deal with naysayers and parasites who would seek to detract and destroy his piercing vision. We are all limited by out physiology -- it's just that some of us accept that limitation while others don't, and some of us even go so far as to blame that limitation on others.

Wtf. I really hope you're just kind of special because you do realize you managed to sound incredibly racist and ignorant right?

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
Apple buying Beats has little to do with Speakers and headsets. Apple wants to dominate the online music business, be it streaming/ radio or music store.

----------

Beats Music has removed the Artist Radio feature which used to be available in MOG, which means that now Beats Music is worse even than Spotify.

I'm sure there will be one big merger and the idea is to make iTunes Radio dominate.

Apple has plans.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
If you're happy with Spotify than so be it. My comment wasn't designed to convert you but rather address the "This stinks, Apple is buying a crappy headphone company!" crowd.

I guess my only comment to you would be that I prefer the design of Beats to Spotify and as a devout Appleholic I'm excited to see how Apple will help make Beats Music even better once it's further integrated into the Apple ecosystem across iOS and OS X.

The radio option in Spotify is way better than Beat's "Sentence" model. Until they fix that, it's Spotify for me.

----------

Because Beats sucks.

You make a really good point here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.