Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
All I am saying is.

The film maker, the music maker.
Perhaps the person your admire for their movie making or audio track making skills, creates a piece of work.
They have years of skill, training, practice in their art.

The job of a pair of headphones or a move projector is to reproduce for you, the listener/viewer the original work, created by the artist, who you may admire, in the most accurate way possible.
They have no other task.

The iPhone screen is constructed to, as accurately as possible (for the price) reproduce accurately the colour and tones in the original image created by the graphics artist, or perhaps photographer.

It would be like having a "Beats Screen" which had a setting to make the screen have a strong red cast to the image. Whites where a pinky white, and everything was red toned, and saying hey these red toned screens are cool.

But that would be a bad screen as it's not performing it's function.

Finally someone gets it

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Yes that was my point. If someone came up to me in a restaurant and told me I was eating wrong, I wouldnt suddenly feel bad and start apologizing, I'd feel sad that that person had no life.

Look, I understand what people are saying that the chef worked hard and he did. But some people like steak sauce and some don't. Some restaurants don't even have steak sauce available. For the ones that do, anyone is free to ask for it.

If someone stood up and told me I was eating wrong, I would laugh. At them.

Again, I don't use steak sauce (or beats) but only a loser of epic proportions would go around telling people how they should eat, or what they should use to listen to music.

Okay, I think we agree. It’s entirely possible I read your first post wrong.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
All I am saying is.

Perhaps the person your admire for their movie making or audio track making skills, creates a piece of work.

The job of a pair of headphones or a move projector is to reproduce for you, the listener/viewer the original work, created by the artist, who you may admire, in the most accurate way possible.
They have no other task.

The iPhone screen is constructed to, as accurately as possible (for the price) reproduce accurately the colour and tones in the original image created by the graphics artist, or perhaps photographer.

It would be like having a "Beats Screen" which had a setting to make the screen have a strong red cast to the image. Whites where a pinky white, and everything was red toned, and saying hey these red toned screens are cool.

So should we be getting mad at Apple for including equilizer presets in iTunes? They really shouldn’t be giving us plebs the ability to screw with this stuff.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I hope that Apple will eventually drop Beats Music and integrate it somehow into iOS and iTunes. For platforms other than desktop Windows, they can keep the Beats Music branding.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
It feels wrong because it is wrong. Why is it wrong? It is wrong because Apple was a truly revolutionary company which changed the game and won by focusing all its efforts on creating quality, magic, and - yes - beauty. No other maverick has ever surpassed the successful ingenuity of Steve Jobs, although a few others equal it - Edison, Marconi, Tesla, Ford, etc.

Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine represent all that has sought to demolish, destroy, and end the dreamland that was once America. They and their ilk envy and hate those who proved themselves giants of industry, ingenuity and progress. There's a reason why people have been calling Steve Jobs the last great American innovator. It is because America has fallen into the hands of those who seek to tear it down and trample it into nothing - only for their petty jealousy and to prove themselves superior to something they evidently cannot even understand.

The true hate comes from the pots calling the kettles black. And before you launch your vitriol against me for my truth-telling, please remember that Steve Jobs was, biologically if not culturally, half-Syrian -- Arab. I suspect it was knowledge of this that gave him the impetus and understanding of how to deal with naysayers and parasites who would seek to detract and destroy his piercing vision. We are all limited by out physiology -- it's just that some of us accept that limitation while others don't, and some of us even go so far as to blame that limitation on others.

The canonization of Jobs continues unabated. How quickly we forget his mistakes.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
All I am saying is.

They have no other task.

The job of a pair of headphones is to reproduce sound. Full stop. Whether someone wants the most accurate sound, sound focused on midrange, or sound focused on bass is a matter of preference. Depending upon that preference, there are a number of headphones that will give you what you want. That's why we have different companies offering customers different "sounds". Same goes for your screen analogy. Some people like Samsung's vibrant screens (that aren't as color accurate as some other screens) and some people like less saturation. There are phones for both likes, just like there are headsets for those that like something different from you or me.

Finally someone gets it

Not really.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
So should we be getting mad at Apple for including equilizer presets in iTunes? They really shouldn’t be giving us plebs the ability to screw with this stuff.

The only thing people are saying is that Beats headphones are EQ’d in a certain way, to target people who do not care about, let's say, accurate reproduction, so if that's what you are looking for, Beats is not the place.

Is that bad? No. The main objective of music is to enjoy it, and if you enjoy your music through Beats's filter, then good for you. Just don't say Beats are the best because they are not, specifically talking about accurate reproduction.

Now, the perfect headphones should not need any equalizer, but that doesn't mean that with not perfect headphones, you couldn't apply a preset.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
The only thing people are saying is that Beats headphones are EQ’d in a certain way, to target people who do not care about, let's say, accurate reproduction, so if that's what you are looking for, Beats is not the place.

Is that bad? No. The main objective of music is to enjoy it, and if you enjoy your music through Beats's filter, then good for you. Just don't say Beats are the best because they are not, specifically talking about accurate reproduction.

Now, the perfect headphones should not need any equalizer, but that doesn't mean that with not perfect headphones, you couldn't apply a preset.

I haven't seen a single person say beats is the best in this thread.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

No not at all.

Beats Headphones, would be like Apple fixing one equalizer preset, and locking it, so you could not adjust it.

I don't expect you would want that.

That's why you want something neutral that you can adjust either way if you like.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine represent all that has sought to demolish, destroy, and end the dreamland that was once America. They and their ilk envy and hate those who proved themselves giants of industry, ingenuity and progress. [...] America has fallen into the hands of those who seek to tear it down and trample it into nothing [...] before you launch your vitriol against me for my truth-telling, please remember that Steve Jobs was, biologically if not culturally, half-Syrian -- Arab. I suspect it was knowledge of this that gave him the impetus and understanding of how to deal with naysayers and parasites [...] We are all limited by out physiology -- it's just that some of us accept that limitation while others don't

I really hope I am misunderstanding what you're saying there, otherwise, seriously wtf...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
All I am saying is.

They have no other task.

Good point.

But perhaps Beats headphones are designed to sound good with bass-heavy music for the people who listen to that kind of music. (hiphop/rap)

That would be a first for a headphone company... to appeal to a certain type of music and a certain demographic too.

Whereas Sennheiser, Grado and others want to be neutral.

Then again... the average consumer doesn't care about sound quality. How many people use the Apple white earbuds? Hundreds of millions.

Why are we so critical of Beats when Apple has been punishing eardrums for over a decade?

How many people watch movies on crappy HDTVs? Hundreds of millions.

I understand your point about a product recreating a faithful representation that the music producer or cinematographer intended.

But there are people who watch DVDs on a junk Insignia TV they bought at Best Buy. That's not what the filmmaker intended.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Maybe cos for $3B dollars, anyone with half a brain and business sense could've built amazing headphones and a music streaming service? And with Apple's brand cachet, they didn't need the Beats brand which only serves to complicate things if you ask me.

Yes because you are definitely smarter than all the people at Apple. Tell us again home come you are not running Apple?

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
The job of a pair of headphones is to reproduce sound. Full stop. Whether someone wants the most accurate sound, sound focused on midrange, or sound focused on bass is a matter of preference.
epending upon that preference, there are a number of headphones that will give you what you want. That's why we have different companies offering customers different "sounds". Same goes for your screen analogy. Some people like Samsung's vibrant screens (that aren't as color accurate as some other screens) and some people like less saturation. There are phones for both likes, just like there are headsets for those that like something different from you or me.

Not really.

You are wrong, the job of a pair of headphones is to reproduce the most faithful sound compared to the source, of course there are preferences, but those should not be used as an excuse to defend the ability of reproducing faithful sound.

Same goes with screens, there is a color gamut, and an standard, Screens's job is to accurately represent the colors of the original material, period. If you like over-saturated colors, then good for you, but that doesn't mean that screen is better than the one who reproduces accurately the colors. It just means you prefer that screen.

Same applies to beats, their sound is not accurate, but if you prefer it, then good for you, as long as you enjoy music, that is all that matters, but don't tell that they are the best, just tell they are the best for WHAT YOU LIKE.

----------

I haven't seen a single person say beats is the best in this thread.

I wasn't talking about this thread, I was talking in general, not specifically about you, or anybody.

Renzatic

Suspended
The canonization of Jobs continues unabated. How quickly we forget his mistakes.

Upon the fifth day, the lord, thy Jobs, didst step down from the mount and saw the huddled masses before him. And thus spake:

"Behold mine works, and rejoice! The icons declarative! The fonts bold! Their kerning measured and true! Motter Tektura! Garamond! And Helvetica Neue! Accept these results of mine righteous labor, and you shall know my love".

And they saw that Jobs spake true, and rejoiced in the splendor of his labors, and cleaved to him for the passing of a moon.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
This is the real beginning of the real end of Apple - no matter how long it lasts or what it turns into.

My god - we've let "the inferior savages" take over!

/s

----------

I really hope I am misunderstanding what you're saying there, otherwise, seriously wtf...

No, you're not. You're just witnessing a soft-core version of it.

D-Love

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
beats is not apple.

I like apple products for what they are and i feel represented by them but i have nothing to do with beats.

Is like my mom dressing me.

Besides, beats is a ugly device with good marketing but there is nothing revolutionary about a pair of headphones.

I am with the general feeling about this... It is just wrong. it is a ghetto device by the way, is not like apple acquire vw or some classy brand.

wowwww.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Upon the fifth day, the lord, thy Jobs, didst step down from the mount and saw the huddled masses before him. And thus spake:

"Behold mine works, and rejoice! The icons declarative! The fonts bold! Their kerning measured and true! Motter Tektura! Garamond! And Helvetica Neue! Accept these results of mine righteous labor, and you shall know my love".

And they saw that Jobs spake true, and rejoiced in the splendor of his labors, and cleaved to him for the passing of a moon.

And no sooner had they cleaved whenst forth from the pulpit appeared the Lord Lawrence Page, He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High and abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of Page, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust, regardless of the privacy which he doth violate

*Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence, while he collecteth your data

He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler, but his social network shall never take flight

*Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day, but of the glass which taketh pictures of you without thy knowledge

Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday, for they know everything about you and yet do no evil.

Man both sides are pretty religious huh

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
I used a pair of Beats at walmart last night (not the proudest moment of my life) and I have to say I wasn't impressed with the quality. It sounded tinny and far away. I don't see the allure.

I don't consider either of my, brief, forays into a Walmart as proud moments in my life.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Apple's corporate chariot has room for only two passengers; Form and Fashion are the current riders. Function was left at the curb a while back and may never return.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Apple's corporate chariot has room for only two passengers; Form and Fashion are the current riders. Function was left at the curb a while back and may never return.

Yeah when are they gonna let me scroll with my eyes already??

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Basic question really.

Do you think Apple will improve the physical construction of Beats headphones?

Do you think Apple will improve the Audio Quality of Beats Headphones?

Given that beats, seem to be a laughing stock of anyone who actually knows how music should sounds, or rather the ability to accurately reproduce the sound the recording studio wanted it to sound like.

Which one could say was the primary function of such a device.

A bit like a chef who has trained for years, spending 4 hours, with fine seasonings, and much skill producing a superbly balanced and interesting meal, and your "slob" coming along and pouring "Beats BBQ Sauce" all over it, as Boy does he love his sauce.

I don't care how long the chef trained, or took to prepare the meal, if a person prefers the taste of BBQ sauce they have every right to put it on food they are paying for.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
You are wrong, the job of a pair of headphones is to reproduce the most faithful sound compared to the source, of course there are preferences, but those should not be used as an excuse to defend the ability of reproducing faithful sound.

Same goes with screens, there is a color gamut, and an standard, Screens's job is to accurately represent the colors of the original material, period. If you like over-saturated colors, then good for you, but that doesn't mean that screen is better than the one who reproduces accurately the colors. It just means you prefer that screen.

Same applies to beats, their sound is not accurate, but if you prefer it, then good for you, as long as you enjoy music, that is all that matters, but don't tell that they are the best, just tell they are the best for WHAT YOU LIKE.

Either you're projecting your own inner monologue onto my words or you didn't read what you thought you read. Nowhere in my quote was there any mention of Beats being the best of anything. Same goes for your screen response. I never said one was better. What did you read? Did you intend to reply to another quote and confused mine?:confused::confused:

Bolded from your quote: Seriously. :eek: What the heck did you read? :confused:
I never said what you're implying. I am on record in this forum as a fan of Sennheiser headphones (I own 3 pair). BUT that does not mean I harbor any ill will towards Beats. Some like them. That's totally okay. Some don't. Equally okay. But IMO the jackwagons who try to tell people what they should or shouldn't like need to get their heads out of their rears. It's a personal preference; which is what I've stated all along.

Maybe you should re-read my quote cuz I don't think you actually did the first time.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.