Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Yeah, I want a steak and a baked potato now.

For you sir, assumed you’d like medium to medium rare.

Ruth's%20Chris%20Steak%20House%20Petite%20Filet%20TU6.jpg

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
If you are a fan of hip hop, accentuated bass is welcomed. Beats headphones have been heavily marketed to those who listen to hip hop and thus are serving the needs of those listeners.

Whenever I hear hip hop on Bose or any of the "audiophile friendly" speaker brands I'm left thirsty for more bass. Those speakers sound great for John Lennon tracks but leave a lot to be desired when listening to hip hop. If that's not your taste than don't buy Beats headphones. No one is forcing you to pre or post acquisition.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Oh I don't like beats I don't like beats they are for untasted people who does not listen to The Beattles they have too loud bass!!

Mustache_0006_ned_flanders.jpg

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
I think it's a mistake to shut the Beats online store, especially as it's not exactly easy to navigate for Beats products in the Apple store. If there was a tab that was for Beats products then fair enough.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
This makes audiophiles sound like pretentious losers. Who cares what other people use or what they put on their steak? People like that need a hobby.

Yep. If someone stood up and told me how to eat my food, I'd laugh at them as I pour more a1 on. Btw, I don't use steak sauce, but telling me how to eat would definitely get you laughed at

The point is, if it matters to you, and by the tone of your writing perhaps it does not, it makes you look like a stupid idiot of low intelligence if you act in that way.
Go to a fine restaurant for very high quality expertly prepared food, and asking for tomato sauce and salad cream to pour over it.
Or a wine tasking and asking for a pint glass to gulp it down.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Except Beats isn't out there saying they make headphones with a specific sound to cater to a specific demographic. They think their audio quality is superior. During that re/code interview with Iovine and Cue, Iovine insulted Apple by saying Apple makes headphones just so they know the headphone jack works on their products. That's a bit rich coming from someone who knowingly sells overpriced crap.

Beats isn't saying they make headphones to cater to a specific demographic. That's my opinion. They are also not saying their audio quality is superior. That is your opinion. Iovine saying Apple just wants to make sure the jack works can't be conflated with your assertion that Beats thinks their audio quality is superior. Well, it can be, but it shouldn't because it's not the same. As for overpriced crap... earlier in this thread didn't you just mention purchasing a Bose product? That's sort of pot/kettle when, in certain circles Bose is an acronym for Better Off w/Something Else.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I don't understand why they're mixing the two.

Both very strong brands that are very different.

Why combine?

Feels....kinda gross.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
The point is, if it matters to you, and by the tone of your writing perhaps it does not, it makes you look like a stupid idiot of low intelligence if you act in that way.
Go to a fine restaurant for very high quality expertly prepared food, and asking for tomato sauce and salad cream to pour over it.

Like I said, if you go to a fine restaurant to eat and you're watching how other people eat, you need a hobby. A really good one that takes a lot of your time.

I don't go to restaurants to impress other people with my food choices. I'm am adult, not some lackey crowd pleaser.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Is Beats hardware really "all that" or is it hype/fad?

Anyone here have any of their products?
Do you like them?
How do they compare with better audio companies like Bose, etc.?

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

Epicurean taste aren't directly comparable to musical taste. Analogy doesn't work. Musically, just because someone uses "audiophile approved" headphones doesn't mean they have better taste than someone who uses Beats. It means they have different tastes. Why would any one of us care what someone thought about the headphones we buy? That is stupid. I use Senn cans because I like my sound more balanced leaning towards a cooler tone instead of warmer. But that doesn't mean I think a Beats user is stupid or any less a person than I am. I think they purchased what they like. It's that simple.

Renzatic

Suspended
So for hip hop tracks, we are therefore saying the creators of the tracks. The musicians and the people on the mixing desks who create the masters don't know what they are doing. And someone with $200 for some bass heavy headphones that cannot reproduce the sound the music creators chose, know better?

I think you're reading too much into it, and assuming too much. No matter whether you like hip-hop or not, you can't deny it's pretty bass heavy. Ergo, you'll want some headphones geared to that type of music to get the most out of it.

From what I know of Beats stuff, their quality is more a matter of taste and style than it is good or bad. I know plenty of people who hate their headphones, and plenty of people who swear by them. Most of the people who swear by them tend to be hip hop and dubstep fans. The only thing I can figure is that Beats might be a little too specifically tuned, but they're not bad overall.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
Is Beats hardware really "all that" or is it hype/fad?

Anyone here have any of their products?
Do you like them?
How do they compare with better audio companies like Bose, etc.?

All the people I know who bought beats stuff are lets say "real" consumers. The people dont even have the idea to register in a forum like this here and dont care about all this stuff about hate and its crappy. They like it (and yes because the sound has that much bass) and dont care about anything more.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If you are a fan of hip hop, accentuated bass is welcomed. Beats headphones have been heavily marketed to those who listen to hip hop and thus are serving the needs of those listeners.

Whenever I hear hip hop on Bose or any of the "audiophile friendly" speaker brands I'm left thirsty for more bass. Those speakers sound great for John Lennon tracks but leave a lot to be desired when listening to hip hop.

So what's the diff between listening using bass heavy headphones, versus using more neutral "audiophile quality" headphones, but with the bass turned way up using the music player's EQ?

Seems like using the player EQ with more neutral earphones would allow one more options to customize your sound to the specific type of rap, hip hop, R&B or jazz that one is in the mood for.

Renzatic

Suspended
Seems like using the player EQ with more neutral earphones would allow one more options to customize your sound to the specific type of rap, hip hop, R&B or jazz that one is in the mood for.

You could get close, I think. But a set of high quality headphones engineered for a certain type of music will still probably end up sounding better for that type of music than a high quality jack of all trades pair.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
All I am saying is.

The film maker, the music maker.
Perhaps the person your admire for their movie making or audio track making skills, creates a piece of work.
They have years of skill, training, practice in their art.

The job of a pair of headphones or a move projector is to reproduce for you, the listener/viewer the original work, created by the artist, who you may admire, in the most accurate way possible.
They have no other task.

The iPhone screen is constructed to, as accurately as possible (for the price) reproduce accurately the colour and tones in the original image created by the graphics artist, or perhaps photographer.

It would be like having a "Beats Screen" which had a setting to make the screen have a strong red cast to the image. Whites where a pinky white, and everything was red toned, and saying hey these red toned screens are cool.

But that would be a bad screen as it's not performing it's function.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
This makes audiophiles sound like pretentious losers. Who cares what other people use or what they put on their steak? People like that need a hobby.

“Who cares what other people use or what they listen to their music on? People like that need a hobby.” Exact same point. And yeah, an audiophile that goes around with a soapbox telling people (in person or online) that their choices in audio playback devices are wrong, would be a pretentious loser. Most people who really are audiophiles don’t do this. They might raise an objection to being forced to listen to music on those devices, but if they don’t have to (read: headphones), they don’t care.

Yep. If someone stood up and told me how to eat my food, I'd laugh at them as I pour more a1 on. Btw, I don't use steak sauce, but telling me how to eat would definitely get you laughed at

"BTW, I don’t use Beats, but telling me how to listen to music would definitely get you laughed at.” I hope you can see how everything you just said about eating steak sauce can be equally applied to listening to music.

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
“Who cares what other people use or what they listen to their music on? People like that need a hobby.” Exact same point. And yeah, an audiophile that goes around with a soapbox telling people (in person or online) that their choices in audio playback devices are wrong, would be a pretentious loser. Most people who really are audiophiles don’t do this. They might raise an objection to being forced to listen to music on those devices, but if they don’t have to (read: headphones), they don’t care.

"BTW, I don’t use Beats, but telling me how to listen to music would definitely get you laughed at.” I hope you can see how everything you just said about eating steak sauce can be equally applied to listening to music.

Yes that was my point. If someone came up to me in a restaurant and told me I was eating wrong, I wouldnt suddenly feel bad and start apologizing, I'd feel sad that that person had no life.

Look, I understand what people are saying that the chef worked hard and he did. But some people like steak sauce and some don't. Some restaurants don't even have steak sauce available. For the ones that do, anyone is free to ask for it.

If someone stood up and told me I was eating wrong, I would laugh. At them.

Again, I don't use steak sauce (or beats) but only a loser of epic proportions would go around telling people how they should eat, or what they should use to listen to music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.