Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Good my check is ready to go for a fully specced M3 Mac pro. Hopefully they'll get out that 7k ProDisplayXDR to go with it too. Buying whether or not the SoC or memory is upgradeable or not. Time to retire the old 2010 tower stuck on High Sierra and the iMac stopgap is getting tiresome too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Armada2

Rob__Mac

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2021
Hackney, London
So, a card that would only work with the Mac Pro, which is already $6,999 and up? That's quite niche. And then on top of that, making it a card throws away unified memory. You're increasing complexity and latency.
The M-series chips are excellent mobile chips, but the GPU's can't hold a candle to the Nvidia offerings. I'm one of those few who actually needs a beefy GPU for 3D rendering, and prefers to use a Mac.

To compete with the Nvidia RTX 4090 cards my colleagues are using for 3D rendering, the M3 Ultra would need to have 4x the GPU power of the M3 Max. I could honestly take or leave the extra CPU power, it's the GPU that's sorely lacking.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Good my check is ready to go for a fully specced M3 Mac pro. Hopefully they'll get out that 7k ProDisplayXDR to go with it too. Buying whether or not the brain is upgradeable or not. Time to retire the old 2010 tower stuck on High Sierra and the iMac stopgap is getting tiresome too.
What could you possibly need from a full-spec Mac Pro if you're running a 2010 today? Nothing against the 2010, as that's what I'm typing this on right now. If you're wanting the expandability, I'd rather jump on a 2019 MP.

Reactions: xbjllb

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Without thunderbolt 5 to drive a future pro motion 5k or 8k display I wouldn’t buy any Mac now.
Wouldn't matter even if they did add TB5 unless they design in a much larger frame buffer, as owing to the terrible (imo) way MacOS does UI scaling the current one is too small to do workable UI scaling on large displays like the 57" Samsung G9.

Reactions: UnbreakableAlex

Philip_S

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2020
And who shrink the market? It's Apple themselves. Since Apple is trying to expand to game, 3D, AI, research, and more based on October event, they also need to make a better Mac Pro as well.
A large part of that shrinkage is more to do with the overall shape of the market. The demand for capabilities beyond a high-power workstation but below a reasonably-sized HPC cluster or render farm is not huge and has been eaten into by cloud compute. Maybe apple should have done more to remain in those spaces, but given the margins a trends at the time I can see why they didn’t.

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
A large part of that shrinkage is more to do with the overall shape of the market. The demand for capabilities beyond a high-power workstation but below a reasonably-sized HPC cluster or render farm is not huge and has been eaten into by cloud compute. Maybe apple should have done more to remain in those spaces, but given the margins a trends at the time I can see why they didn’t.
Not really. Mac Pro 2013 is a great example how pro market become shrink and cloud compute still have some issues that workstations are still needed. Now, even their major markets are shrink thanks to Mac Pro 2023.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I think they had conflicting business models. One one hand, they like to boast that all the AI stuff on Apple happens on-device for privacy, but then they go and sink their high-end market and push Pros to either other platforms or the cloud to do that work. It might have been a better sell to offer processing power through the entire stack. They could have added more specialized hardware to the Intel Mac (like afterburner) to compliment this, but they kinda burned it all down in the transition to AS.

Reactions: mburkhard

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I'm hopeful alongside the pro desktop upgrades we can have a XDR 2.0 display upgrade and the current model drop in price.

GridMeister

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023

Apple is working on a new Mac Studio that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes.

M3-Mac-Pro-and-Studio-Feature.jpg

Gurman mentioned the details in this weekend's edition of the "Power On" newsletter. He explained that the new Mac Studio is likely to be offered with the as-yet-unannounced fourth variant of the M3 chip. This will, like previous generations, double the components of the "Max" version, meaning that it will feature up to 32 CPU cores and 80 GPU cores.

Taiwanese research firm TrendForce believes that Apple will launch a new Mac Studio featuring the M3 Ultra chip at WWDC in June, just as it did with the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studio last year. Prior to the launch of these models in 2023, Gurman reported that Apple was already working on two follow-up machines.

Gurman also believes, contrary to suggestions earlier in the week, that Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip. He does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.

He added that while upcoming devices such as the M3 MacBook Air could be popular if marketed properly, the Mac roadmap for 2024 is looking "otherwise muted," suggesting some skepticism about Apple's ability to turn the Mac's underperforming sales around.

Article Link: Apple Working on Next-Gen Mac Studio and Mac Pro
At the moment I’m not in the market for a Mac Pro or high end Mac Studio, but I am excited about what the possibilities of the progression of Apple Silicon future generations can bring. Especially if the Pro is truly modular and upgradable. The current design is basically a Mac Studio with expansion slots. That’s very useful for many people, but not to many others. But what if… the module with the processor and associated interfaces can be replaced if not in the current chassis design in a future update. Like PC chassis now the processor module could be upgraded and the expansion slots and chassis reused. This would keep the pros current and make these upgrades more sustainable and affordable. Even maybe have the ability to integrate external graphics processing in some future architecture. I would think that a strategy like that might also be more easily supported be Apple in an overall road map to exploit Apple Silicon and future enhancements to the Pro machine. I don’t know but can the processor module in the current Pro be replaced or upgraded?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
The Mac Pro needs a page one rewrite.

Either allow something better than the underwhelming M2 model, or scrap it.

Modularity please. And I want actual modularity, not some phony “let’s add storage” nonsense.
Apple isn’t going to give you “modularity”. Unless something drastic happens at a philosophical level, the unified approach that Apple has taken and been very successful with isn’t going to change, even for the Mac Pro.

This means unified non-expandable DRAM, locked down proprietary boot storage and no PCIe based GPUs.

The Mac Pro is strictly for those who need PCIe and that the Mac Studio won’t cover. That’s it…and you pay a premium for that expansion. For better or worse.

Apple hasn’t been interested to in making a completely upgradable Mac Pro since 2010. It should take 14 years for that to truly sink in, but apparently it does.

They just aren’t going g to compete for the PC Parts Picker user base, period.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
What could you possibly need from a full-spec Mac Pro if you're running a 2010 today? Nothing against the 2010, as that's what I'm typing this on right now. If you're wanting the expandability, I'd rather jump on a 2019 MP.
UAD PCie cards I have no wish to upgrade to exterior thunderbolt boxes. Plus a fair share of 3d rendering and video editing. Oh look, I'm the target audience! And I waited just long enough.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Good my check is ready to go for a fully specced M3 Mac pro. Hopefully they'll get out that 7k ProDisplayXDR to go with it too. Buying whether or not the SoC or memory is upgradeable or not. Time to retire the old 2010 tower stuck on High Sierra and the iMac stopgap is getting tiresome too.

Why not buy a studio instead and save $6000 on the case

It’ll be the same soc

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Why not buy a studio instead and save $6000 on the case

It’ll be the same soc
We don't know that for a fact yet. And like I said, I don't want my UAD cards in exterior boxes.

Just because a case is "empty" now doesn't mean it will be empty in the future.

Reactions: G4er? and mburkhard

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
We don't know that for a fact yet. And like I said, I don't want my UAD cards in exterior boxes.

Just because a case is "empty" now doesn't mean it will be empty in the future.

It will be the same soc. I’d put money on it.

Do your uad cards have apple silicon drivers?

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
The M3 Ultra will already murder your 2019 Mac Pro. My M2 Ultra Studio is slightly more powerful than my 24-core Mac Pro was – and the M3 will be about twice as fast.
He isn't lying. My M3 Max laptop is faster than my 16-core 2019 Mac Pro (W6800X Duo) at everything so far.

Reactions: skippermonkey

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
so much for the m4 spec'ed ultra rumor from a couple days ago.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Of course. You didn't think I checked with both UAD AND Apple before I planned to drop $12,000?
I don’t know.

I wouldn’t think anyone would pay a $6000 premium to avoid an extra box and a cable either. And yet here we are.

Also, intersecting that they were they able to confirm compatibility with a machine that doesn’t exist yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.