Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I speculate we will finally see the quad die M processor. I’d also like to see something like hardware level DDR-based RAM disk to allow for expandable program memory.
Highly doubtful. They cannot scale two Max chips together properly and do not sell well. The last thing they need is another chip that cannot scale and sells even worse. I think they need to forget about the whole slicing chips together fiasco and just design another proper chip that goes beyond the MAX with enticing new features to tempt the pros.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Mac Pro concept is in direct contradiction with Apple Silicon processor. I can hardly see how this product can ever come into fruition and work with ANY existing PC peripherals short of maybe mouse and keyboard. Make Mac Pro non modular, we have mac mini and Mac Studio for cheaper. Scalable computing module? Nah, just thunderbolt each Mac mini or Mac Studio.

just give up on Mac Pro already. It is fundamentally incompatible with Apple silicon processors And unified memory.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
2) Make dual CPU modules. That's right- go back to the dual g4 days. Of course you're not going to get double the speed of an M3 Ultra, but the OS and CPU bus could in theory be tweaked to yield 1.75x which is what the original M1 Ultra was giving over the M1 Max anyway. Moreover, Apple can set the module prices so that the "dollar per performance" graphs just make a fully tricked out Mac Pro a better overall value.
It would be nice, especially since this would effectively double max RAM, but I suspect interconnecting these would be very challenging. Once you start moving across a PCB, many of the gains Apple got by putting it all on a package starts to disappear. To go fully Pro, Apple would have to really look hard at the current design. The way they handle memory management, they lean on super fast access to solid state storage, which works okay since the bandwidth and access speeds are so fast, but too much of that wears the drive down prematurely. With everything being integrated, that's a tough pill. Systems where the primary storage is in significant decline perform quite poorly.

Again, it's just that Apple targeted their SOC design for mostly consumer-facing hardware, where it performs incredibly well. It just doesn't scale up to big workstation applications as well, where lots of RAM might be critical, or a specific GPU is needed. Maybe that market just isn't big enough for Apple to worry about anymore.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
The M2 Ultra is a fairly massive package and the M3 Ultra will only be larger.
So you have something that directly compares the PHYSICAL size of the M2 chips to the PHYSICAL size of the M3 chips? Apple’s photo of the M3, M3Pro and M3Max chips does not include a scale to show the actual dimensions. I would like to see a direct comparison of the physical dimensions any of M3 chips to any on the previous M1 or M2 chips but I have not seen a quantitative comparison of physical dimensions or area. All I’ve seen are core and transistor counts.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Amazing how apple worked so hard to destroy an entire category of product for themselves. This thing should just die already. It's been a joke ever since Tim Cook took over and is only getting worse and more embarrassing each release.

xyz01

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Oslo, Norway
A M3 Pro Mac mini priced right might do fairly well. It's this world of not updating all the models to the latest M3 SoC family that is hampering Apple sales. Why buy M2 models when you can wait for the update.
Agreed. If I was in the market for a Mac mini, there's no way I'd buy one now. The same way that my sister's family stayed with their really old iMac for an extra year due waiting for the M2 version... (Which then ended up with an M3 - which will mean an even later upgrade next time)

Reactions: roundski

cicalinarrot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
The future of Apple graphics is Apple silicon/Metal, no room for third-party GPUs from AMD/Intel/Nvidia...
Sadly, I know but… have you checked benchmarks?
Nvidia’s $2000 card performs 3 times better than Apple’s $8000 Mac Pro. That’s brutal.
Even upgradable RAM seems completely out of Apple’s philosophy.
There’s no future for the Mac Pro too if it makes this little sense.

Reactions: xyz01

CharlieBoyWoof

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2018
Germany
Isn't that stating the obvious?

Other obvious statements:

Apple is working on a new iPhone that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024.

Apple is working on a new MacBook Air.

Apple is working on a new iPad.

Apple is working on new AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max.

Apple is working on a new M-series processor.

Apple is working on a new A-series processor.
I know, what a pathetic page filling exercise

CharlieBoyWoof

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2018
Germany

Apple is working on a new Mac Studio that is likely to launch in the second half of 2024, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman believes.

M3-Mac-Pro-and-Studio-Feature.jpg

Gurman mentioned the details in this weekend's edition of the "Power On" newsletter. He explained that the new Mac Studio is likely to be offered with the as-yet-unannounced fourth variant of the M3 chip. This will, like previous generations, double the components of the "Max" version, meaning that it will feature up to 32 CPU cores and 80 GPU cores.

Taiwanese research firm TrendForce believes that Apple will launch a new Mac Studio featuring the M3 Ultra chip at WWDC in June, just as it did with the M2 Max and M2 Ultra Mac Studio last year. Prior to the launch of these models in 2023, Gurman reported that Apple was already working on two follow-up machines.

Gurman also believes, contrary to suggestions earlier in the week, that Apple is likely to refresh the Mac Pro with this new high-end chip. He does not believe that Apple is likely to again abandon the machine after only one year.

He added that while upcoming devices such as the M3 MacBook Air could be popular if marketed properly, the Mac roadmap for 2024 is looking "otherwise muted," suggesting some skepticism about Apple's ability to turn the Mac's underperforming sales around.

Article Link: Apple Working on Next-Gen Mac Studio and Mac Pro
Ford is working on a car with 4 wheels...................

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The Mac Pro needs a page one rewrite.

Either allow something better than the underwhelming M2 model, or scrap it.

Modularity please. And I want actual modularity, not some phony “let’s add storage” nonsense.

Apple needs to either release a new high end Afterburner and their own dedicated GPGPUs and leverage CXL2.0 or the most recent 3.0 and extend interoperability with custom AMD options, [You'd think they'd work with the Xilinx Team and offer their FPGA cards for the Mac Pro] or it will continue to shrink in sales.

Most of all it needs to be expandable to 1TB of memory that complies with the CXL latest standard. If it wants to keep the creative post production houses and more it needs an actual Workstation class machine.

And Logic Pro needs full ATMOS built-in. Doing preliminary work and then taking stems to Pro Tools and using their set up that complies with Dolby with the most recent Pro Tools update is not something Logic Pro users should have to do.

Apple could buy and make Dolby a subsidiary with open standards and make a lot of industries happy.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Great.

Fair enough...!

Yes, the Cheesegrater 2.0 could be redesigned to a smaller chassis, and unless Apple decides to grant us Apple silicon (GP)GPUs and increase the actual bandwidth to the PCIe slots, probably half of those slots could go away...
Maybe they'll offer Hermes double tour straps instead of stainless steel handles for just an extra $2499. A small trifling of an expense. But it'll match you Apple watch band perfectly. Perhaps they can make some Tiffany wheels for that extra pop. /s

Wake me up when Apple gets out of the luxury computing business. I'll know they've gotten their heads out of their asses when they stop it with the $700 wheels and $1000 monitor stands.

• Haha
  • Disagree
Reactions: xbjllb and Boil

michelb76

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2016
Why doesn't Apple make a dedicated PCIe Apple Silicon GPU? I mean they can use it for AI, graphics rendering, video editing... I mean thats why its a Pro computer.
Extremely small market for it? They might end up falling into the same Mac Pro trap as before. The Studio is the new (semi)-pro, and it's highly unlikely Apple has a 4090 competitor in the works. A lot of the Pro apps in different spaces have moved away, maybe they will return to the Mac, maybe not.

• Love
Reactions: xbjllb

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Sadly, I know but… have you checked benchmarks?
Nvidia’s $2000 card performs 3 times better than Apple’s $8000 Mac Pro. That’s brutal.
Even upgradable RAM seems completely out of Apple’s philosophy.
There’s no future for the Mac Pro too if it makes this little sense.

A $500 last gen amd card outperforms anything Apple has to offer IN MACOS

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Why doesn't Apple make a dedicated PCIe Apple Silicon GPU? I mean they can use it for AI, graphics rendering, video editing... I mean thats why its a Pro computer.
Exactly! It boggles my mind. Plus, they could create a x86 PCI card, so we could run windows, linux next to macOS. This shouldn't be that hard to do and would be wonderful to have! Then Mac Pro could finally be a beast to conquer them all! :)

Reactions: G4er?

MacFarmer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
I saw the rumored rendering of the Mac Pro Mini. It's also very mobile when you add the Wheels; you can ride it down the hallway!

Untitled 2.jpg

I think this looks great :D Put in on the side, add tiny blue-ray rw slot, m3 max/ultra at the front, big hunking external GPU like RTX 4090 at the back and it is a win win in my garden :D

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The market is too small. Unlike NVIDIA/AMD, Apple can't sell them to gamers, and nobody is going to buy expensive Apple stuff for AI datacenters. All that's left is some tiny segment of professional creators who aren't satisfied with an M3 Ultra with max RAM. That's basically nobody.
you forgot hobbyists - who will complain it is too expensive and not buy it

Reactions: Zdigital2015

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
In understand the sentiment but the GPU on AS doesn’t compare to modern day GPUs. Plus, and this is from my own experience and not based on any study or other data, AS has far more bugs than Intel Macs.

I want the MacPro to be a truly world-class supercomputer. Like it used to be. Now it’s just a MBP in a big box with PCIe.
I guess the M3 Max besting my Intel Mac Pro is one of the bugs then. Come on you can do better than that; explain your point in detail.

Reactions: picpicmac

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Apple needs to either release a new high end Afterburner and their own dedicated GPGPUs and leverage CXL2.0 or the most recent 3.0 and extend interoperability with custom AMD options, [You'd think they'd work with the Xilinx Team and offer their FPGA cards for the Mac Pro] or it will continue to shrink in sales.

Why when the M3 Max already has hardware encoders and decoders that are faster and better than the current Afterburner card? Hell even the M2 ones are better.

As I see it the Afterburner card was an experiment for Apple as to whether or not developers would code their apps to hook into the card for performance gains; and also for Apple to make something relatively cheap (low cost to Apple) to test their design out before committing to actual silicon; and to work on OS libraries that could tap into it.

Reactions: picpicmac

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I wouldn’t think anyone would pay a $6000 premium to avoid an extra box and a cable either. And yet here we are.
A Mac Studio Ultra starts at $3,999.99. A Mac Pro (only available as an Ultra) starts at $6,999.99. That seems like $3,000, not $6,000.

Also, intersecting that they were they able to confirm compatibility with a machine that doesn’t exist yet.
Your question was does it have Apple Silicon support, which they can confirm already

• Love
Reactions: xbjllb

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I’d prefer Apple release another energy heavy Intel Mac Pro with dual GPUs and make the fastest consumer machine… and charge us $5K - $10K instead of a MacMini with an AS Max that has the same restrictions as a MBP.
Do you own a 2019 Mac Pro? What configuration do you have? Not sure how you expect a new X86_64 machine with an even smaller potential market to sell for less than the last generation Intel Mac Pro and for less than an Apple Silicon machine where they do not have include paying for someone else’s silicon IP.

If you are a “workstation” customer, why are you comparing anything to a Max chip, rather than an Ultra (their chip targeted at their highest end customers?

Give me a workstation.
What “workstation” do you currently own? What software do you run that requires a workstation? Is it available for macOS? Why do you think that anyone will support the truly tiny market that would be an X86_64, AMD GPU machine?

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
“Apple is working on next gen Mac Studio..”. Ya think?? They’re usually working on a next gen product. Talking about stating the obvious. Duh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.