Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Thoughts on AppleCare? ive never had an issue with my phone but have a feeling I might be dropping the plus more than my previous phones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Thoughts on AppleCare? ive never had an issue with my phone but have a feeling I might be dropping the plus more than my previous phones.

Well, an out of warranty replacement now costs $299. Applecare+ and the fee for two replacements costs $257 ($99 + $79x2). If you suspect you'll damage it and need to replace it even once, Applecare+ seem to be worthwhile.

FWIW, I always get it on my iPhone and iPads, and have used it 3 times. The piece of mind alone is worth it for me but of course, YMMV.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Well, an out of warranty replacement now costs $299. Applecare+ and the fee for two replacements costs $257 ($99 + $79x2). If you suspect you'll damage it and need to replace it even once, Applecare+ seem to be worthwhile.

FWIW, I always get it on my iPhone and iPads, and have used it 3 times. The piece of mind alone is worth it for me but of course, YMMV.

Yeah it would be mainly for piece of mind. Planning on keeping this one for 2 years and I feel like something's bound to happen. Just curious about others thoughts..

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
No.

Every single time I've had issues with any of my hardware, Apple repaired or replaced free of charge, even when out of warranty. I've been using Apple ipods, Macs, and iPhones since 2006. I had my iPhone 5 out of warranty, dropped it on the ground and made the camera unable to focus, and they replaced free of charge.

Even if you are truly clumsy and think you may shatter the screen, it is better to just save your money, or invest in a $50 case. AppleCare is profitable for a reason: it's a bad investment.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Nay. It's better to pay one time if your phone is broken than paying Apple care every iPhone you buy. If I bought AppleCare every time I bought an iPhone, I could buy a new iphone for the money. There are way cheaper alternatives like squaretrade, but you'll need to ship your device so the turn around is longer and you don't get an alternative device like Apple.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
The only time I see value in Applecare is if your phone is totally ruined like took a dive in the pool or laundry machine.

For cracked screens, I don't see the value. I'd rather test my luck with a cool Apple store employee or find somewhere to fix my screen for less than what Applecare would cost. ($99 + $79 basically)

Izzywizz

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the UK have a 2 year warranty as it falls under EU wide consumer laws?

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

So what in addition would you get from having Applecare, I just wondered really. Thanks

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
No.

Every single time I've had issues with any of my hardware, Apple repaired or replaced free of charge, even when out of warranty. I've been using Apple ipods, Macs, and iPhones since 2006. I had my iPhone 5 out of warranty, dropped it on the ground and made the camera unable to focus, and they replaced free of charge.

Even if you are truly clumsy and think you may shatter the screen, it is better to just save your money, or invest in a $50 case. AppleCare is profitable for a reason: it's a bad investment.

I think you've been more lucky than anything. I can assure you most people who are out of warranty have not received the luck you've had.

AppleCare is not at a bad investment at all. I have had many laptop batteries replaced, a recent iPad that was well past the initial warranty that had color dysfunction that they were ready to charge me 200 for, but the AppleCare replaced it free.

It's awesome you've received such great luck, but I would assume that you fall outside the average of typical situations involving an expensive technology fix and having them fix it out of warranty.

I'd say AppleCare is the only insurance for devices worth buying, they make it extremely easy to replace devices with malfunctions by often just replacing the entire unit. I don't know any other insurances that function that well.

It's only an extra hundred dollars on the purchase. If you spent this much on the phone already, it's worth protecting unless you know for sure you'll get the new phone next year, then you might not be the right candidate for it.

To OP: You should absolutely get AppleCare. It has made having my Apple devices much better because I don't have to worry as much and they make the process very simple. I'd recommend it more for computers than phones, but even then, I would highly recommend going that route for insurance due to the ease of taking a phone to the store and getting direct service without having to ship anything or wait weeks.

jayes

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
If one pays for the phone with certain credit cards ones warranty is doubled. If anyone has used this perk, how does it compare to AppleCare ?

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
No.

Basically this. I always buy my apple products with my Amex wich adds an extra year of warranty for free.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I'm gonna take my chances without it, with applecare+ and one drop I would save 16 dollars compared to using my already existing home insurance, if it breaks a secod time... well that's when I would start regretting not getting applecare+ i guess...

The thing is, it only protects the phone against accidental drops (basically), not theft, and not if another device breaks. So I'm sticking with my regular insurance.

But then again, I don't intend to drop it (knock on wood).

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Apples standard warranty does not cover the phone if you damage it (drop, get wet etc...). So even if the standard warranty is doubled it still will not cover those items. AppleCare + will.

You may get lucky with some folks at the apple store and they will cover for damage that you caused, but they are not required too.

I never buy extend warranties, except for AppleCare on my phone. I buy it for the convenience, just walk into the apple store and walk out with a phone. If I did not have an apple store close I most likely would skip AppleCare.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'm gonna take my chances without it, with applecare+ and one drop I would save 16 dollars compared to using my already existing home insurance, if it breaks a secod time... well that's when I would start regretting not getting applecare+ i guess...

The thing is, it only protects the phone against accidental drops (basically), not theft, and not if another device breaks. So I'm sticking with my regular insurance.

But then again, I don't intend to drop it (knock on wood).

Will your home insurance replace it on the spot, like an Apple store would?

People need to compare like for like.

Your insurance co will more than likely take days, if not weeks to repair/replace your handset (they are designed to be slow and painful to put people off claiming).

So, the peace of mind that I can go in a store the same/next day and get my phone replaced (because I paid £79 for AppleCare Plus) is well worth it IMO.

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
Cheap peace of mind....always a good idea with something that goes everywhere with you and gets used so much.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
So if I have a 64GB ip6, and I get Applecare+, and the screen gets cracked, do they give you a new phone or fix the screen?

Also, how much does Apple charge if the phone is damaged OR lost/stolen if one does NOT get Applecare (the full $600+)?

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Will your home insurance replace it on the spot, like an Apple store would?

People need to compare like for like.

Your insurance co will more than likely take days, if not weeks to repair/replace your handset (they are designed to be slow and painful to put people off claiming).

So, the peace of mind that I can go in a store the same/next day and get my phone replaced (because I paid £79 for AppleCare Plus) is well worth it IMO.

I honestly have no idea, I guess it would be repaired (meaning taking a few days), if i'm lucky I can bring it to apple, let them fix it and then send the bill (minus the self cost fee) to my insurance company.

The thing about apple care that I don't like is that it is item specific, meaning it does nothing if another device breaks. But I guess that is why there are many different options, so we all can get the one we want :D

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
My partner and I have had iPhones since 2010 and neither of us have ever had any accidental damage. I would rather save the money and then if by chance something bad did happen pay for an out of warrenty replacement rather than pay $99 for each phone "just in case". If nothing happens that money was wasted.

Also my American Express card doubles the manufacturer warrenty of whatever I buy so even though I'm still not covered for accidents, if anything else fails with 2 years I'm covered.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I have never bought applecare before and I am thankful that I will get it today. I have never cracked a screen but I have gotten my phone wet on several occasions. Its worth it especially if you don't upgrade every year

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
It's definitely a peace-of-mind investment.

Math-wise, it pays for itself even after a single use considering the price of out-of-warranty repairs have gone up. I personally have never invested in the service myself for my products because I'm extremely anal about protecting them. However, I may consider it for my iPhone 6 purchase once my contract fades out.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
I know several people who lost their homeowners insurance for filing too many claims! I wouldn't dream of filing for anything under $2,500.

AppleCare has been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.