Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
This is how I would look at it.

Insurance is offered to make a profit for the insurer. It's done by spreading out the risks among buyers. In the best case scenario for buyers, Apple decided to not make a profit from AppleCare Plus and just spread the risk over the number of buyers. In the worst case scenario, they add as much profit margin as they think the consumers will tolerate.

But what I said applies to an average customer. If you are more prone to damage your phone, then you can factor that into your calculation of risk/benefit which may result in a more definitive decision.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
So your way of using your "hard earned dollars" is to commit fraud by deliberately damaging your iPhone or inventing an non-existent problem so you can swap it out right before AC+ ends. Nice.

Never downloaded a torrent in my life. Sorry I'm not like you.

Again you assume. Thanks for trying....

Sneakerp

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
What about square trade how much does it truely cost

SquareTrade used to be the better and cheaper buy, but now they are the same as AC+ only difference with squaretrade is you can pay monthly.

You can't just swap it out whenever you like (AC+ doesn't even cover cosmetic damage) and nobody has a magical power to make it stop working right before AC+ ends.

So if I drop my phone and it there is cosmetic damage (cracked screen) they won't replace it or they just won't replace for free?

I'm debating to go the AC+ or Squaretrade route? If AC+ guarantees a brand new phone and not a swapped (service) phone, then its a no brainer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that guarantee.

makotoisle

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2012
I've never purchased it in the past, but I decided to purchase it this time around. The 6+ is just a bit big and unwieldy for me, and I can definitely see myself accidentally dropping it while I'm getting used to the much bigger size.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
SquareTrade used to be the better and cheaper buy, but now they are the same as AC+ only difference with squaretrade is you can pay monthly.

So if I drop my phone and it there is cosmetic damage (cracked screen) they won't replace it or they just won't replace for free?

I'm debating to go the AC+ or Squaretrade route? If AC+ guarantees a brand new phone and not a swapped (service) phone, then its a no brainer. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that guarantee.

They will replace it for cosmetic damage.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
The problem I see with Applecare+ is that the wording seems to exclude damages like bending. Applecare+ applies only if the damages prevents the proper working of the phone - including a broken display which prevents the user from seeing the screen. But bending doesn't prevent your iPhone from working and Apple might consider it cosmetic, so I'm afraid it won't be covered by AppleCare+ anyway...
Likewise, I wonder how many phones will be exchanged with bent refurb iPhones.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
The problem I see with Applecare+ is that the wording seems to exclude damages like bending. Applecare+ applies only if the damages prevents the proper working of the phone - including a broken display which prevents the user from seeing the screen. But bending doesn't prevent your iPhone from working and Apple might consider it cosmetic, so I'm afraid it won't be covered by AppleCare+ anyway...
Likewise, I wonder how many phones will be exchanged with bent refurb iPhones.

Cracked glass is cosmetic and they fix that. Ask them before you buy it. In fact, call them and go over your concerns to see if its a fit. I think AppleCare+ is fantastic!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

A cracked screen is not cosmetic damage.

They will replace it for cosmetic damage.

No, AC+ does not cover cosmetic damage.

See below:
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplusforiphone.html

4.2 Hardware Coverage and ADH Coverage.
... (ii)The Plan does not apply to damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered iPhone, (b) abuse, misuse, fire, earthquake or other external causes except as described in section 3.2 above, (c) operating the Covered iPhone outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) if such was performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”).
(iii) The Plan does not apply to an iPhone with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the manufacturer.
(iv) The Plan does not apply to a Covered iPhone that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers a Covered iPhone that is returned to Apple in its entirety.
(v) The Plan does not apply to cosmetic damage to the Covered iPhone, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered iPhone.
(vi) The Plan does not apply to preventative maintenance on the Covered iPhone;
(vii) The Plan does not apply to defects caused by normal wear and tear or which is otherwise due to normal aging of the product….

BudC

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
California
Thoughts on AppleCare? ive never had an issue with my phone but have a feeling I might be dropping the plus more than my previous phones.
Began using AppleCare years ago with my first 13" Mac Book, since then I've moved to iPhones, iPads, and 5K iMacs. I always recommended AppleCare to everyone purchasing an Apple device, however, I listened in on several calls made to Apple Support and found the techs to be less than knowledgable, you can actually Google a problem and find better results than paying someone to look up your issue on line while you hold on.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Thoughts on AppleCare? ive never had an issue with my phone but have a feeling I might be dropping the plus more than my previous phones.

I got it but after the slowdown scandal I might return it. I think it can be returned in USA minus the value left on it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Responding to this old thread from 2014 since the question is still relevant today...... I purchase AppleCare for any device which is portable, going to be carried around the house and away from home.....so this includes iPhone, iPads, MacBook and MacBook Pros. Years ago when I had a first-generation intel-based Mac Pro, I also had AppleCare on it and that paid off when the logic board needed replacement. My theory in general is that it is indeed possible that especially with a device such as an iPhone or iPad that something could happen to it either at home or away from home -- either someone else or I might drop it or perhaps it gets knocked off a table or some other situation. It just feels reassuring that there is AppleCare Plus on my devices if I need to use it.

"Slowdown scandal"??? C'mon, that's bit of an overreaction, wouldn't you say? What does that have to do with choosing to purchase AppleCare Plus or not?

As for returning/requesting a refund on AppleCare/AppleCare Plus: yes, it is possible if one is eligible to do so. I recently received a refund for AppleCare that I had on a device which I sold and because there was still something like a year's worth of AppleCare on it, I was able to get that money back. Of course I had already purchased AppleCare Plus on the new device which was replacing it!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.