Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
A big NO. Insurance is made to tempt you to spend more. Some argue that you already pay so much, why not pay a couple hundred more to protect it? Well I'd say I already pay so much for a freaking phone, I don't want to make it more expensive than its actually worth.

Consider how many accessories you can buy with that cost of applecare...

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
I opted for AppleCare Plus this time around on both our new iPhone 6's. Primarily because we bought our phones outright for full retail. We wanted Verizon unlocked phones and use them on at&t. Figured $100 is cheap piece of mind for 2 years knowing we won't have to pay full price for replacement phones if needed.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I've never had apple care for a phone, and I'll never will. If I drop it and crack the screen, it will probably still work. If it works, its not broken. You nawm sayin'? I might get it for my Macbook. Not sure... But anyway isn't apple care just a warranty extender? So if you **** up your phone yourself, it's pretty useless since it'd be out I'd warranty. I think apple care plus is going to allow you to replace your phone if you mess it up.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Well, an out of warranty replacement now costs $299. Applecare+ and the fee for two replacements costs $257 ($99 + $79x2). If you suspect you'll damage it and need to replace it even once, Applecare+ seem to be worthwhile.

FWIW, I always get it on my iPhone and iPads, and have used it 3 times. The piece of mind alone is worth it for me but of course, YMMV.

Is replacement with a brand new device or is it replaced with the equivalent of a "refurb"?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I honestly have no idea, I guess it would be repaired (meaning taking a few days), if i'm lucky I can bring it to apple, let them fix it and then send the bill (minus the self cost fee) to my insurance company.

And if you're not lucky, they'll send it for repair for a couple of weeks, what will you do then (apart from wish you'd bought AppleCare +;) )

Narien said:
The thing about apple care that I don't like is that it is item specific, meaning it does nothing if another device breaks. But I guess that is why there are many different options, so we all can get the one we want :D

But it's not designed to.

It's designed to save you time, money and aggravation, in the event that you damage your iPhone and need it sorted quickly and cheaply.

cue003

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
I think some of you guys aren't 100% sure what apple care plus offers vs your credit card.

First consider what manufactures warranty covers. Once you have that understanding then if you pay with certain credit cards you get an additional year of manufacture warranty. In this approach you will need to be 100% sure your credit card will cover the CLAIM. I say claim because if there is a manufacture defect (home button stuck or speaker stop working) you will need to take your phone to apple to be fixed. You pay for it out of pocket and then submit the claim back to your insurance company for potential reimbursement. This does not cover accidental damage such as cracked screen or water damage etc that is normally a result from the user.

Now consider what apple care plus provides...Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone (1) and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax.

Those 2 accidental damage things are repairs. Not necessarily phone replacement.

Now you make the call as to which will work for you if at all.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Apple Care will provide piece of mind, but put a little dent in your wallet. Whereas putting a sufficient case and screen protector will do the trick. I always go with an Otterbox and tempered glass screen protector combo.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I think some of you guys aren't 100% sure what apple care plus offers vs your credit card.

First consider what manufactures warranty covers. Once you have that understanding then if you pay with certain credit cards you get an additional year of manufacture warranty. In this approach you will need to be 100% sure your credit card will cover the CLAIM. I say claim because if there is a manufacture defect (home button stuck or speaker stop working) you will need to take your phone to apple to be fixed. You pay for it out of pocket and then submit the claim back to your insurance company for potential reimbursement. This does not cover accidental damage such as cracked screen or water damage etc that is normally a result from the user.

Now consider what apple care plus provides...Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone (1) and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $79 service fee plus applicable tax.

Those 2 accidental damage things are repairs. Not necessarily phone replacement.

Now you make the call as to which will work for you if at all.

Well, I'm from Sweden so while apple gives a 1 year warrenty, swedish (and eu i think) law extends this warrenty to 3 years HOWEVER the burden of evidence falls to the user after the first year, meaning I can't send in a banged up phone and say it "stoped working".

So in a sense, apple care+ would do two things for me, make sure the repair is faster (or maybe even replace the phone altogether) and make accidental issues (like broken glass) cheaper. But since I already have a home insurance that covers things like that, I don't really start to benefit from it cost-wise until the second accident.

This is just my "situation" though, I'm sure it's different for a lot of ppl.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
It's a no brainer in the USA unless you keep it protected inside an otter box defender case for 2 years. Apple recently released the cost of repair for a broken iPhone 6 out of warranty and that price is $299/6+ $329. The peace of mind and convenience of having it available for 2 years is great.

I bought my AppleCare+ yesterday and I'm all set. :apple:

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
I haven't gotten on a device yet but I see the appeal - and am kicking myself for not getting it on my MBP because I've got a dead pixel that drives me bananas and am just outside of my one year warranty - mayhap I will get lucky at an Apple Store but I'm not taking it in during launch week, heh, they've got enough going on.

I'm considering it for my en route 6+ even though I'm very careful and have yet to have damage to a phone that wasn't manufacture defect (but I still had to replace that device through assurion - ripoff wireless carriers...). But I HAVE almost dropped a phone in water a couple times, which is why I now have a LifeProof case and will get another one. Right now I'm trying to decide if the extra $100 is worth it on top of a nearly $100 case.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Is replacement with a brand new device or is it replaced with the equivalent of a "refurb"?

Could be either. I have no problem with Apple refurbs and in many ways, prefer them because they've been examined closely for defects and already repaired, if necessary. In fact, outside of iPhones and some iPads, I usually get refurbs through Apple's online store for my other gear.

And regarding whether you get a repair or replacement for your damage incidents, my experience has always being an immediate on the spot replacement.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
A lot of people buy a case to protect their iPhone against accidental damage. Some even buy 2 or 3 cases to protect their iPhones. Then there are people who buy applecare+ in place of a case to protect against accidental damage.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
I have no problem with Apple refurbs and in many ways, prefer them because they've been examined closely for defects and already repaired, if necessary.

Same here. I bought my DSLR as a refurb and with this kind of device, it's way better to have refurb than to buy new from a shop, in addition to the great discount.
The more complex the device, the less regular quality control can make sure that every device is perfect when it is mass produced. But a refurb is controlled by a human being at length, it receives much better and extensive quality control than a brand new device...

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
The "buy a case its cheaper" argument is silly. It was neither the question nor addresses the core issue which is, "Is applecare+ worth it?". Insurance in general is profitable for a reason - it is priced based on probability that it gets used and the cost of replacement. Sure, across a general population it may not be "worth it" as the likelihood you need it may be low.

But this is a very person specific question. For example, if you do not want to use a case, have young kids, etc you may face a much higher risk of a screen crack or some other non-standard warranty issue. If you think the probability is high enough, then its likely worth it as the replacement cost is a little more than half of the out of warranty replacement cost (for a 6+) and if you have two incidents then its only 25% of the total replacement costs for two. Or looked at another way, its ~15/month amortized over 1 year to have it or ~8/month over two years. That is the incremental cost you are paying for to have it.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007

A refurb. Somehow, the phone is even internally identified as such. My replacement iPhone 5 was marked as a "swap" in the IMEI when checking with apple and my carrier.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My wife and I each bought HTC One phones this time last year, and purchased Asurion insurance for $8/month through Verizon. Asurion covers lost and stolen phones, as well as damage, and my wife lost her phone a couple of months ago. After a 5 minute phone call to Asurion, a *New* phone was sent overnight. We each bought an iPhone 6 this past weekend, but the lack of lost or stolen coverage doesn't make AppleCare+ worth it for us. The Asurion plan will cost more over two years, but it covers more.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
No.

Every single time I've had issues with any of my hardware, Apple repaired or replaced free of charge, even when out of warranty. I've been using Apple ipods, Macs, and iPhones since 2006. I had my iPhone 5 out of warranty, dropped it on the ground and made the camera unable to focus, and they replaced free of charge.

Even if you are truly clumsy and think you may shatter the screen, it is better to just save your money, or invest in a $50 case. AppleCare is profitable for a reason: it's a bad investment.

I agree but only just recently had to do this. My lock button doesn't work on my iPhone 5 that is over 2 years old, they sent me a box to ship it in and they are replacing the phone free of charge. Was so quick and painless to set it up over live chat!

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Apple Care will provide piece of mind, but put a little dent in your wallet. Whereas putting a sufficient case and screen protector will do the trick. I always go with an Otterbox and tempered glass screen protector combo.

Big bulky case like otterbox will get the job done. The problem is that they are ugly and detract from the beautiful design Apple provided. I'd go with a simple case like the Apple Silicone which provides great protection and doesn't detract from the look or add too much bulk. I'd still go with AppleCare+ just to be on the safe side. Unless you like walking around with a cracked $600+ phone for 2 years.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I actually got it sunday on my i6 for the first time ever. I've never gotten applecare+ until now. Its a great piece of mind. Not worried about screen protectors and cases this time around.

Teddysjam

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
My wife and I each bought HTC One phones this time last year, and purchased Asurion insurance for $8/month through Verizon. Asurion covers lost and stolen phones, as well as damage, and my wife lost her phone a couple of months ago. After a 5 minute phone call to Asurion, a *New* phone was sent overnight. We each bought an iPhone 6 this past weekend, but the lack of lost or stolen coverage doesn't make AppleCare+ worth it for us. The Asurion plan will cost more over two years, but it covers more.

My thoughts exactly yea I pay 10.00 a month (220.00) over 2 yrs I know more expensive but my verizon ins covers everything AppleCare + does right?, plus if lost I get a replacement. That's my biggest issue with AppleCare and square trade doesn't cover lost or theft. I bought the 6 for me and my son (college) so I stay with ins more app to be stolen in college.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Bought Applecare + other day on my 6, got ghostarmor screen protector on it but no case, honestly phone is too beautiful to be wrapped up in a case, its expensive, but i want to enjoy it fully, glad i got Applecare +, its amazing

----------

I actually got it sunday on my i6 for the first time ever. I've never gotten applecare+ until now. Its a great piece of mind. Not worried about screen protectors and cases this time around.

Haha me too I got it on Sunday, feels really good to have it honestly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.